GUILTY Australia - Sarah Cafferkey, 22, Melbourne, 9th Nov 2012, #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said before, I know a couple of this girl's friends and it seems that people out of the city (Bacchus Marsh being out of Melbourne) have a bit of a closer sense of community, so they often tend to friend people with a connection to their area.

Not that unusual in the grand scheme of things I'd have thought.

November 21, 2012 11:09AM

UPDATE: THE man accused of stabbing young woman Sarah Cafferkey to death and dumping her body in a wheelie bin sat silent in court this morning.

..In an olive polo shirt and with a shag of bleach-blond hair, Steven James Hunter appeared briefly in Melbourne Magistrates' Court charged with murder.

His lawyer noted that the case had already received significant media attention and, while asking that Mr Hunter's street address be deleted from the charge sheet to be released to the media, he told Magistrate Donna Bakos he hoped the press would "be mindful" that Mr Hunter had now been charged.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...afferkeys-murder/story-fnat79vb-1226520423114

Ok some interesting things about the Parole Board of Victoria:

As an independent statutory body, the Board’s decisions are free from political or bureaucratic influence.

Membership of the Board includes:

four judges of the Supreme Court of Victoria
two judges and two retired judges of the County Court of Victoria
a retired Chief Magistrate and a deputy Chief Magistrate
one magistrate and one retired magistrate
a full-time member of the Board
the Secretary to the Department of Justice
eight part-time members representing the community.
The Chairperson of the Board is a judge of the Supreme Court.

Therein lies the problem, it's the same judges who hand out lenient sentences that preside over the Parole Board. No political pressure, part time members of the community.

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/home/about+us/business+area+profiles/adult+parole+board+of+victoria

As an independent statutory body, the Board’s decisions are free from political or bureaucratic influence.

Therein lies the problem, it's the same judges who hand out lenient sentences that preside over the Parole Board. No political pressure, part time members of the community.

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/home/about+us/business+area+profiles/adult+parole+board+of+victoria
Good sleuthing Koalabear. Most of them male? Might explain their disregard for the 'risk' these offenders pose to the safety of women and girls in the community. This is another example of structural inequity. Time for a change in the composition of the Parole Board. More female representation needed IMO.

I for one would like to see victims of crime on the parole board.

So a bunch of old judges and eight part time members who represent the community - who are they then? Anyone with enough confidence and balls to stand up to the majority of judges .. even if they did it seems they'd be outvoted. Well this explains a lot. Perhaps the eight include some bleeding hearts who believe in rehabilitation and giving psycopaths a second chance too ... :furious:

I'm expecting a review into the parole board after these two crimes against young women which horrified the community in quick succession .. a review of sentencing would not be a bad idea either.

Good sleuthing Koalabear. Most of them male? Might explain their disregard for the 'risk' these offenders pose to the safety of women and girls in the community. This is another example of structural inequity. Time for a change in the composition of the Parole Board. More female representation needed IMO.

What the actual make up of male/female persons on the board?

EDIT:A quick search showed there were 9 males and 8 female appointments in the last 18 months or so

With all due respect, I think that is way off the mark and completely unnecessary to turn this into a gender argument - there is just no evidence this is true but happy to be proven otherwise.

In reality, the public perception is that the parole is too lenient in general (regardless of whether the victim is male or female).

And that there should be longer initial sentences for crimes against women than for crimes against men - is that your argument? That you should get a shorter sentence for a crime against a male??

Case Management
Total cases considered 10,205
Total (Board and DSOD) meeting days 187

.... can you say 'overcommitted'? Of course they'd make mistakes, these members must be flat out ... the Annual Report is great reading so far.

Board members start at page 16 with full biographical details.

Community Members

Jim Berg
• Jim Berg is a Gunditj-Mara man from the Western District of Victoria.
• A Justice of the Peace for more than twenty years.  For more than thirty years he has worked throughout
the community, from grass-roots level with community organisations through to all levels of government.
• He has a strong commitment to building bridges of mutual respect and understanding across the different sections of the community, and across all levels of society.
• Appointed as a Community Member on 17 October 2000. • Reappointed from 17 October 2010 to 16 October 2013.

Vera Olson
• A retired Member of the Victorian Basketball Association Tribunal and retired Deputy Chairperson and Member of the Victorian Basketball Association Regional and Metropolitan Tribunal.
• Previously, Chairperson and Secretary of various school councils.
• Worked with the Department of Justice for more than 20 years.
• Appointed as a Community Member on 15 January 2001.
• Reappointed from 27 March 2012 to 26 March 2015.

Dr Julian Davis
• A consultant psychiatrist in private practice.  Having graduated from the University of Melbourne in 1971, he later became Deputy Medical Superintendent and geriatrician at Mount Royal Hospital in Parkville.
• Appointed to the Guardianship and Administration Board in 1987.
• Appointed Senior Lecturer in Intellectual Disability Psychiatry at the University of Melbourne in 1993.
• Between 1993 and 2008, he held various positions as consultant psychiatrist at St Vincent’s Hospital, Austin Hospital and Executive Director and Authorised Psychiatrist for the Loddon Campaspe Southern Mallee Area Mental Health Service.
• Currently, an Honorary Senior Associate in the School of Psychology at the University of Melbourne and Adjunct Clinical Professor in the School of Psychology, Psychiatry and Psychological Medicine at Monash University.
• Sessional member of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) on the Guardianship and Business and Occupational Regulation Lists.
• Appointed as a Community Member from 5 July 2005 to 4 July 2008.
• Reappointed from 5 July 2011 to 4 July 2014.

Janet Farrow
• In 1988, graduated with a bachelor degree in Social Work from the University of Melbourne and graduated with a Master of Business Administration from RMIT in 2000. In 2008, graduated with a Graduate Diploma in Law from Monash University.
• Awarded Churchill Fellowship in 2001 and completed the Williamson Community Leadership Program in 2003.
• Previously, held clinical and management roles in drug treatment, mental health, child and family welfare, disability services and served on the secretariat of the Premier’s Drug Advisory Council.

Dr Kerry-Lee Jones
• In 1993, graduated with a BBSc (Hons) and in 1996 with a M.Psych (Neuro).
• Appointed as a Clinical Neuropsychologist in the alcohol and drug field in 1995 and later worked in neurological rehabilitation, psychiatry and aged care.
• Completed an Alfred Hospital research scholarship for her doctoral degree in 2001.

Lisa Ward
• In 1987, graduated with a Bachelor of Social Work (Hons) and in 2007 graduated with a Master of Business Administration from Monash University.
• Extensive experience in a range of human services including Juvenile Justice, Adult Corrections, Child Protection and Homelessness Services.
• For more than a decade, has operated a human services consulting business, providing research, program evaluation and policy review services to government and community organisations.
• Member of the Victorian Women’s Correctional Services Advisory Committee since 2004.
• Appointed to the Sentencing Advisory Council in 2008.
• Appointed as a Community Member from 5 July 2005
to 4 July 2008.

Judith Wright
• BA (Legal), Dip Crim, M Crim. (Masters Thesis on Managing Offenders in the Community).
• Awarded the John Barry Medallion in 1994, Criminology Department, University of Melbourne.
• Extensive experience as a Senior Community Corrections Officer from 1985 until 1999.
• Previous experience in policing, security and investigations, youth work and lecturing.

Carmel Arthur
• Appointed to the Sentencing Advisory Council in August 2004.
• A member of the Victorian Law Reform Commission’s Bail Advisory Committee in 2005.
• Worked in building and facilities management for over 20 years, and has held key positions in both the public and private sectors.
• Appointed as a Community Member from 2 December 2008 to 1 December 2011.
• Reappointed from 2 December 2011 to 1 December 2014.

The other hing to think about is these people who make decisions are bound by law, bound by rules, the parameters they work within are not infinite.

Therein lies the problem.

The other hing to think about is these people who make decisions are bound by law, bound by rules, the parameters they work within are not infinite.

Therein lies the problem.

You make a great point, I get worried when I see people (not on here might I add) directing their anger and emotion 100% at the people making the decisions, when there are likely a lot more factors involved.

I'm reluctant to get too involved in discussions about parole and sentencing because it's something I just don't know enough about. It's very easy at times like this to read the rap sheet of a suspect, see that they've had a history of crime and wonder why they were released if seemingly not rehabilitated at all.

I think that it's pretty strongly felt in the community at the moment that when there is a heinous crime like what we've seen recently, the alleged's criminal history makes for disappointing reading and questions about sentencing/parole and rehabilitation are bound to come up. I think the time is right for those conversations to occur, I imagine we will see media and political commentary about it in the next few months. I just really hope that people do not make rash comments, or insight hate, without doing the necessary research. It may well be that we need to be directing that anger at the framework, not the individuals working to it.

You make a great point, I get worried when I see people (not on here might I add) directing their anger and emotion 100% at the people making the decisions, when there are likely a lot more factors involved.

I'm reluctant to get too involved in discussions about parole and sentencing because it's something I just don't know enough about. It's very easy at times like this to read the rap sheet of a suspect, see that they've had a history of crime and wonder why they were released if seemingly not rehabilitated at all.

I think that it's pretty strongly felt in the community at the moment that when there is a heinous crime like what we've seen recently, the alleged's criminal history makes for disappointing reading and questions about sentencing/parole and rehabilitation are bound to come up. I think the time is right for those conversations to occur, I imagine we will see media and political commentary about it in the next few months. I just really hope that people do not make rash comments, or insight hate, without doing the necessary research. It may well be that we need to be directing that anger at the framework, not the individuals working to it.

Captured it well.

Its too easy to play the blame game someotines.

I cant myself , I wasnt part of the process, I dont have a fraction of the details as to why someone was paroled. There's too much I dont know to make a call on it.

Its a terrible situation, and I hope something will come out of this to prevent further occurences.

I guess whilst we don't have the knowledge of why such parole decisions have been made, what we are seeing is two violent crimes in the past 2 months that have been made by people with priors that really should have seen them off the streets. Something, somewhere, is not right.

I guess whilst we don't have the knowledge of why such parole decisions have been made, what we are seeing is two violent crimes in the past 2 months that have been made by people with priors that really should have seen them off the streets. Something, somewhere, is not right.

Exactly, I completely agree.

And I hope it becomes a little more transparent to the comunitty as to where these two instances fell down.

I'd really like to know more of the process, it really doesnt make sense, with such limited information as we have

I agree and I would really like to know more about this:

www.3AW.com.au. Yesterday Derryn Hinch's Drive program discussed parole decisions with Mr. Ari Freiberg from the Sentencing Advisory Council. It was revealed that Victoria Police Sexual Crimes Squad requested the Parole Board to revoke a certain offender's parole on two occasions this year. Police knew he was a significant risk. Victoria Police had their finger on the pulse, but the Parole Board did not. The offender subsequently attacked fatally. The Parole Board have much to answer for. IMO we concerned people should write to Victorian State MPs asking why the Parole Board did not listen to the requests from the Police and express outrage at parole board assessments of offenders' risk to women and girls. Why are they disregarding the rights of women and girls to be safe in the community? Are there 'women haters' on the parole board? My opinion only and fair comment.

One thing I forgot to mention that I also found was this:

Appeals

There is no formal avenue of appeal against a decision of the Board. However prisoners may request a review of any decision of the Board. This may be done in writing (by the prisoner or by a person on behalf of the prisoner), or the prisoner can request an interview with the Board.

Prisoners eligible for release on parole are automatically brought to the attention of the Board and considered at the appropriate time. There is no need for prisoners to apply for consideration.

So, does this mean that ONLY prisoners can appeal decisions, there is no avenue for the victims of their crimes to appeal parole board decisions? That seems a bit one sided dosent it. This board is supposed to reflect the feelings and value of the community however NO MEMBER OF THE COMMUNITY CAN QUESTION THEIR DECISIONS. They can however receive appeals from Prisoners. They are being swayed by pleas from prisoners with no opposing arguments. Who are these 8 part time community members anyway?

Captured it well.

Its too easy to play the blame game someotines.

I cant myself , I wasnt part of the process, I dont have a fraction of the details as to why someone was paroled. There's too much I dont know to make a call on it.

Its a terrible situation, and I hope something will come out of this to prevent further occurences.

You are right, it is the framework which needs changing. However, the decisions the board makes affects every single one of us. How is this different to a company CEO? All Im saying is there needs to be accountability. If they are too lenient, which is quantifiable by the number of repeat offenders on parole, then fire those responsible. If this is a cushy retirement role for these people they might hold for years and years surely this is a problem. Make them accountable for their actions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Legomatica_Locate