Australia - Shandee Blackburn, 23, murdered, Mackay, Qld, 9 Feb 2013

It was pretty frustrating to listen to the last few episodes. Not the actual podcast, but the way in which the DNA testing issues were fobbed off, it basically ruined the whole case. Plus, the police cass was really only done to a lacklustre standard. The police investigating did almost everything right, but so much info omitted from the case. The judge, and more importantly the jury, only heard snippets of the bad things JP did, and more of the favourable things, so they could only go off that. He wouldn’t have seemed guilty to the jury off the evidence presented at the trial.
The podcast has brought about ALL the evidence they should of heard, and along with retested DNA evidence, JP should be a goner. All of the circumstantial evidence, historical evidence, and witness evidence points toward him, and once those DNA swabs are done properly, it should be a straight forward verdict. I just hope the DNA samples have been stored in a way they can be successfully retested.

Interesting news about photos of his car too in Ep 13. I’ve had a look at photos and there must be something that stands out that they missed in the trial
Also, if the incompetence of the lab is so bad to fumble everything what does that say to chain of custody? if they cant test properly can they be trusted not to cross contaminate? to store properly? will JPs defense be able to once again sink the prosecution all over again and would they even be willing to risk that to be made the fool again?
Does anyone know how expensive of an attorney JPs defense is? are JPs family well connected they seem well off from the podcast.
So many questions and so little justice at this point.

Also, if the incompetence of the lab is so bad to fumble everything what does that say to chain of custody? if they cant test properly can they be trusted not to cross contaminate? to store properly? will JPs defense be able to once again sink the prosecution all over again and would they even be willing to risk that to be made the fool again?
Does anyone know how expensive of an attorney JPs defense is? are JPs family well connected they seem well off from the podcast.
So many questions and so little justice at this point.

That would have to be a big fear, about DNA swabs not being stored properly.
I didn’t really recall anything to suggest the condition of them

If anyone's interested this link contains the full article Hedley refers to in Episode 9 Fast Hands of the Shandee's Story Podcast at around 44:49 re The Belzer Report - the article's title:
"DNA test doubts Hedley Thomas 01mar05" -
World | Fresh swipe at DNA labs

There are some pretty interesting articles online too, re STRmix and PowerPlex21, which I believe the lab started using around December 2012.

It was pretty frustrating to listen to the last few episodes. Not the actual podcast, but the way in which the DNA testing issues were fobbed off, it basically ruined the whole case. Plus, the police cass was really only done to a lacklustre standard. The police investigating did almost everything right, but so much info omitted from the case. The judge, and more importantly the jury, only heard snippets of the bad things JP did, and more of the favourable things, so they could only go off that. He wouldn’t have seemed guilty to the jury off the evidence presented at the trial.
The podcast has brought about ALL the evidence they should of heard, and along with retested DNA evidence, JP should be a goner. All of the circumstantial evidence, historical evidence, and witness evidence points toward him, and once those DNA swabs are done properly, it should be a straight forward verdict. I just hope the DNA samples have been stored in a way they can be successfully retested.

Interesting news about photos of his car too in Ep 13. I’ve had a look at photos and there must be something that stands out that they missed in the trial
Agree Travelling Wilbury, it boggles the mind that no-one seemed to query the DNA results - none of JP's DNA was found in the car he'd been driving <modsnip> ..... h'mm, you would think that would raise an eyebrow at least somewhere in the lab, but err, apparently not.
I'm obsessing about that new detail that's been picked up about the car too, haha, will keep looking and put some pics up if I find anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky News on Flash has a special on Shandee Blackburn at 8pm on Tuesday.

Saw Annastacia Palaszczuk making her statement this morning on the TV news about the lab testing.

Very much belated, as Hedley and Kirsty Wright have been kicking doors in all the way up to Palaszczuk for a long time.

Saw Annastacia Palaszczuk making her statement this morning on the TV news about the lab testing.

Very much belated, as Hedley and Kirsty Wright have been kicking doors in all the way up to Palaszczuk for a long time.
I was quite shocked at the approach from the local LE with the testing reported by the podcast because these are very serious crimes.

ABC article detailing the testing. Double jeopardy rule below from the article and how it applies to Queensland.

"Could double jeopardy play a role?​

Under Queensland's double jeopardy provisions, a person who has been charged with a serious criminal offence — including murder — and is acquitted by a jury, can be charged a second time if new evidence emerges that was not available to prosecutors at the time.

Mr Potts said the law was designed to "reflect changes in science" and agreed DNA evidence could potentially fall within it.

"Like most things in law, things are rarely black and white but all sorts of shades of grey," he said.
"It would fall down to an argument before a court and decision based on both the law and the facts of any individual case as to whether a person should be put on trial again."

Interim results from the investigation into forensics labs in Queensland. Public submissions start on Monday. Thousands of cases since 2018 to be retested.
They say 'justice delayed is justice denied' but for many this could be their delayed justice being delivered. Let's hope so.

The evidence coming out of the Commission of Inquiry paints a shocking light on the Queensland forensic lab on so many levels.
Yes listening to the podcast and seeing a few articles it is going to be very interesting when Cathie Allen and Justin Howes appear as witnesses.

I can see a lot of I don't recalls etc coming up.

A few articles are coming up about Jon Peros. All behind paywalls. I guess he is telling the truth....

Shandee accused on trial for mine assault​

The man found by a coroner to be responsible for the death of Shandee Blackburn told a man ‘all police officers should be stabbed and shot’ then beat him, a court has heard.

The West Australian

John Peros: Man acquitted of Shandee Blackburn’s murder claims colleague threw first punch in assault trial​

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan01
Back