Australia Australia - Terry Floyd, 12, Avoca, Vic, 28 June 1975

Upcoming 60 Minutes’ segment on Daryl Floyd’s search for his brother’s remains and his killer on Channel 9 at 8:40pm on 6 May 2018:

‘Digging for Answers

You’re unlikely to meet anyone as single-mindedly determined as Daryl Floyd. But it’s a resolve that comes from heartbreak. He needs to know what happened to his big brother Terry. In 1975, the cheeky 12-year-old boy was abducted in country Victoria. Detectives are convinced he was murdered, but his body has never been found and the case remains unsolved. Daryl believes his brother was dumped in a disused mine shaft, so he spends almost every weekend underground digging for clues. But he also thinks he knows who is responsible for killing Terry, and he has decided the time has come to confront the man.’

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/05/60-minutes-may-6-2.html

Man spends eight years digging in mine shaft in the hopes of finding allegedly slain brother
By Lydia Bilton
60 Minutes Digital Producer
8:35am May 6, 2018

‘It’s been more than four decades since Daryl Floyd’s brother went missing - but he says he’ll never give up on finding him.

The 52-year-old has spent the past eight years tirelessly searching an abandoned mine shaft in rural Victoria for what he believes is his brother’s final resting place - and has vowed to spend the rest of his life digging.’

‘Former Homicide Detective Ron Iddles - who worked the cold case from 1999 - also believes that Terry Floyd met a fateful end wandering the highway between Avoca and Maryborough.

“In my mind there’s no doubt he’s been murdered,” Mr Iddles says.

Mr Iddles says the prime suspect in the 43-year-long mystery is convicted pedophile Raymond Jones.

At the time of Terry’s disappearance witnesses told detectives they saw him standing next to a light-coloured Holden panel van that had pulled up beside him.

Their description matched the vehicle driven by Jones at the time.

“He is a suspect and remains a suspect,” Mr Iddles told [60 Minutes’ reporter Tom] Steinfort.

“But if you don’t have the crime scene and you don’t have the body, it’s difficult.”’

‘This Sunday, Steinfort joins Mr Floyd on his determined mission as they both confront the convicted pedophile at the centre of the case for the very first time, in a desperate bid for answers.

And – in a shocking twist – one of Jones’ alleged victims reveals a harrowing testimony which is sure to blow the case wide open.’

“Digging for Answers” airs this Sunday on 60 Minutes.’

To read more, click on the headline (above).

60 Minutes: Convicted pedophile and prime suspect in cold case 'capable of murder'https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...-terry-floyd-death-raymond-jones-mark-affleck
By Lydia Bilton
60 Minutes Digital Producer
10:23pm May 6, 2018

‘A man who claims he was violently sexually abused by Raymond Jones - the prime suspect in Victoria’s most baffling cold case - has told 60 Minutes that he believes his tormentor was capable of murder.

In an emotional interview, Mark Affleck, 59, revealed to 60 Minutes the sexual abuse he allegedly suffered at the hands of convicted pedophile on the banks of Victoria’s Avoca River in 1968.’

‘Mr Affleck’s allegations could provide police with a much-needed breakthrough in one of Australia’s longest running and most baffling cold cases.

Jones remains a person of interest in the 1975 disappearance of Victorian schoolboy Terry Floyd.’

‘Terry Floyd was seen by two locals, at separate times, standing near a light-coloured Holden panel van on the Pyrenees highway.

Their description of the van is similar to the vehicle driven by the then 23-year-old Jones.

When asked by Steinfort if Mr Affleck thought Jones was capable of killing Terry Floyd, he answered; “Capable? Yes.”

It’s a sentiment shared by former homicide detective Ron Iddles, who believes Jones is most likely involved in the schoolboy’s disappearance.

“He was on bail for sexual assault, he has a vehicle similar to what was seen, there's about an hour and a half that he can't account for,” Mr Iddles said.

“So he is a suspect and remains a suspect.”’

‘He says that it’s Jones’ previous conviction – for an opportunistic sexual assault of an 11-year-old boy in a Ballarat toilet block – shares striking similarities to the Terry Floyd case.

“The assault on the boy in the toilet block, it was a sudden urge,” Mr Iddles said.

“This wasn't sort of a planned thing.

“[Then] you've got Terry Floyd who's walking down the road hitchhiking.

“If Jones is responsible, it's like that again, a sudden urge has come over.”

In an incredible revelation, Mr Iddles told Steinfort that he gave Jones the chance to eliminate himself from the Terry Floyd investigation years ago - but Jones declined.

“I offered him a polygraph,” Mr Iddles revealed.

“I said, ‘If you pass you'll never see me again, right? If you fail, I can't use it in evidence, right? It's a win-win for you.’

“Here is an opportunity where he could have eliminated himself, and he doesn't.

“I just think that adds to the weight that he is the most likely person responsible.”

When approached by 60 Minutes as part of this week’s investigation, Jones again exercised his legal right to silence.’

‘Obsessed’ brother continues dig for brother’s final resting place 43 years onhttps://www.9news.com.au/national/2...einfort-terry-floyd-paedophile-children-crime
By Grace Tobin
60 Minutes Producer
4:18am May 7, 2018

‘The thought of plunging more than 40 metres underground into the bowels of a disused mine shaft, filled with unimaginable horrors, isn’t exactly my idea of a Saturday morning well-spent.

Yet at 52, Daryl Floyd refuses to spend his own weekends doing anything else.

The sign on the fence reads: “Danger, open hole”. Another warns: “Keep out”.’

It’s a not so subtle reminder of the daunting scenario we’re about to immerse ourselves into.

Walking through the gates with reporter Tom Steinfort, cameraman Scott Morelli and sound recordist David “Tangles” Ballment, I take in our surroundings.

We’re deep within the rugged bushland of Victoria’s Central Highlands at a place called Bung Bong Hill. Blink and you’d miss the dirt road turnoff between the towns of Maryborough and Avoca, some 70 kilometres north-west of Ballarat.

But for the past eight years, this isolated spot has been home to an almighty demonstration of people power and a little brother’s love.’

Digging for answers
60 Minutes Australia
Published on May 6, 2018

‘There’s no one as determined as Daryl Floyd. Daryl has spent the past 8 years digging in disused mineshafts to find out what happened to his 12-year-old brother, Terry who disappeared in 1975.’

[video=youtube;kEI5P1GeIoY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEI5P1GeIoY[/video]

Suspect in murder of schoolboy charged with sexual abuse of different boy

‘Raymond Kenneth Jones - the man described by police as a "prime suspect" in the disappearance and murder of Avoca schoolboy Terry Floyd - has been charged over alleged sexual abuse of a different boy living in the same small Victorian town.

9NEWS understands yesterday detectives from the Ballarat Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team charged Jones, aged in his 60s, in relation to the alleged sexual assault of a man in the late 60s or early 70s.’

‘The alleged victim said the charges relate to five separate incidents.’

‘The alleged attacks all took place in Avoca, north-west of Melbourne.’

‘Raymond Kenneth Jones will face Ballarat Magistrates Court on August 27 for a filing hearing in relation to the charges.’

Terry Floyd's family feel 'an ongoing burden' and 'responsibility' to find him

The eldest sister of Terry Floyd, who disappeared in country Victoria 46 years ago, says her family will never have closure until they at least find his remains.

...snipped by me

His sister Jennifer Fildes, who now lives in Sydney, said his disappearance had been "an ongoing burden" for much of her life.

"Being the eldest, I feel that as long as I'm breathing, I have to keep Terry's memory alive," Ms Fildes said.

"I know my younger brother [Daryl] was digging up mine shafts and trying to find [Terry's] bones and at times he thought he had found his bones.

Victoria Police's Homicide Squad reopened its investigation into Mr Floyd's disappearance in 2000.

The following year, a coroner determined Mr Floyd was murdered but his body has never been found and nobody has ever been charged over his death.

...snipped by me

Cruelly, the siblings' mother Dorothy died on the 12th anniversary of Mr Floyd's disappearance.

...snipped by me

In 2014, police increased the reward on offer for information that solves Mr Floyd's disappearance to $1 million.

Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers.

More than 100 people, including many with murdered or missing family members, were "spellbound" after a behind the scenes crime talk about high profile investigations at the weekend.

The Terry Floyd Foundation hosted guest speakers acclaimed true crime writer Keith Moor and top Victorian homicide detective Charlie Bezzina at its Insight Into Crime fundraising evening in Lavington on Saturday night.

Daryl Floyd, who created the Foundation in honour of his brother who was abducted and murdered in 1975, said 125 people attended the event, including many who had lost a relative to crime and Justice Party Member for Northern Victoria Tania Maxwell.

May12 2023
1683976251770.png
"I'm very confident that unfortunately, this is the last resting place of my brother," Daryl told A Current Affair about the 50-metre deep mine shaft he and search crews have been descending.
1683976433132.png
After spending hundreds of thousands of dollars of his own money to try and locate his brother, Daryl recently received a $35,000 Victorian government grant to finish digging in the mine shaft where Terry was last seen.

Daryl said they got one step closer to some answers when a silver chain matching the necklace Terry was wearing was found in 2016''.
1683976313301.png
'Then they found a leather shoe believed to be a child size six, which is now being tested at a private forensic lab in Sydney.
1683976391837.png

A leather shoe believed to be a child size six was found and is now being tested at a private forensic lab in Sydney. (A Current Affair)

"Unfortunately, we're finding too many things here that are consistent with what Terry was wearing at the time," Daryl said.'

JUL 31, 2023
Retired homicide detective Charlie Bezzina believes the people searching for answers in a 48-year-old cold case are "very close", with fresh leads arising from a visit to Avoca in Victoria's Central Highlands.

[...]

Mr Bezzina is working as a private investigator and recently spent time speaking with potential witnesses in Avoca.

He said he had spoken to more than half a dozen people, about half of which were new witnesses who had not been spoken to by police before.

"It's been quite fruitful," Mr Bezzina said.

[...]

While Mr Bezzina was focusing on sightings of Terry on the day of his disappearance, works were underway to excavate a nearby mine shaft that Mr Floyd believed contained his brother's remains.

"We haven't got to the bottom of the mine shaft as yet," Mr Bezzina said.

"We hope to achieve that hopefully by the end of next month, weather permitting."

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann
Back