Australia Australia - Tumbulgum, NSW, Male 50-70, Tweed River in sleeping bag, Nov'12

It's been a year since the last bump.

Has Tweed-Byron Local Area Command’s Detective Inspector Brendon Cullen (flummoxed by this case) come up with a better plan in 2019?

A facial reconstruction can also be done by DNA-analysis.

Latest News - NSW Police Public Site

As Missing Persons Week 2021 continues, detectives from Tweed/Byron Police District are renewing a nationwide appeal to help identify a man whose decomposed body was found on the state’s Far North Coast almost a decade ago.
A post mortem examination established that the man was Caucasian and aged between 50 to 70-years-old.

He was 163cm tall, with a thin build and grey hair tied in a ponytail with a blue band. Further investigations have revealed the man wore dentures.

The post mortem was unable to determine the man’s cause of death, with no visible signs of injury and the body heavily decomposed.

In early 2020, investigators engaged a forensic artist from the Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification at the University of Dundee in Scotland to construct a 3D virtual sculpture and digital forensic facial reconstruction.

To coincide with National Missing Persons Week, investigators have released the artist’s impressions developed through the reconstruction, which depict what the man may have looked like and are appealing for assistance from the Australian community to help identify him.

New clue into grim body in a bag mystery

Detectives hope a new clue could help identify a man found dead nine years ago beside a river, his body concealed in a homemade cotton bag.

The bag is described as about 60cm x 165cm and is made of plaid Indian cotton. The material is blue and off-white check.

“The bag isn’t your normal sleeping bag,” Inspector Cullen said.

“It’s bag-like in its design, but there’s no down in it, just cotton. It’s stronger than a sheet, it’s not a surfboard cover. It’s just this mysterious bag which happened to have a body in it.”

A post mortem examination revealed the man was caucasian and aged between 50 and 70.
He was 163cm tall, with a thin build and grey hair tied in a ponytail with a blue band. He also wore dentures.

Not behind a Paywall.

Hard to find anything not behind a paywall these days. ABC article from 4th August 2021. Today.

Police pin hopes on 3D facial reconstruction of man missing for almost a decade

A nationwide appeal is underway to help identify a man whose body was found in a bag on the banks of the Tweed River at Tumbulgum, near Murwillumbah, almost a decade ago.

Police turn to 3D virtual sculpture technology to help with identification
Scottish image technology has a 50 per cent success rate

This one gets me. Tumbulgum is tiny. It’s a really village, maybe 6 streets? North Tumbulgum isn’t really a town, it’s just the hills on the northern side of the Tweed River, made up of a mix rainforest and farmland, farm houses and the like dotted about. Everyone knows everyone.

The area floods badly regularly. It’s one of the first places in the valley to go under in the wet season. I hope he’s identified soon.

Edit to say. It’s not pronounced “Tumblegum,” more like “Tum-BOWL-gum”.

4th August 2021

Case of mystery man’s decomposed body found in bag baffles police years on

The post mortem was unable to determine the cause of death.

An inquest in 2013 concluded the man could not be identified, and the date, place, manner and cause of his death were a mystery.

Detectives have worked with forensic experts to conduct a range of DNA tests, including phenotyping, which involves using genetic sequencing to predict a person’s physical characteristics.

We have no doubt there are friends and family members somewhere around Australia who have a relative or loved one who just vanished - perhaps they weren’t listed as a missing person at the time. Maybe they are someone who you lost contact with in the early 2010s.

“Any piece of information which could help us find out who he is will help us establish his links, his history, his associates, and ultimately determine the circumstances surrounding his death.”

I’m wondering if the possibility that is is Julian Golding that is the unidentified person.
Julian GOLDING
this is his AFP missing persons page.
This one says he was last seen walking west along “Tyungum road” (which doesn’t exist, I’m guessing should have been Tyalgum Rd?) towards Uki and that he was last seen 8 September 2010.
This post says he was last seen on Murwillumbah Rd walking away from Uki on Thursday the 9th of September.
I can’t find a Murwillumbah Rd leaving from Uki either, roads may have been renamed?
It seems the details are a little convoluted.
Apparently the inquest was two years ago but I can’t find anything online about it.
He’s described as 63 at the time, 165cm tall, fair complexion, grey hair and in the photo on the sites I can’t see any teeth. He was last seen September 2010.

We know the UID man was found Saturday 24 November 2012, in a cotton-fibre style bag on the bank of the Tweed River at Tumbulgum, about 10km east of Murwillumbah.
A post mortem examination established that the man was Caucasian and aged between 50 to 70-years-old, was 163cm tall, with a thin build and grey hair tied in a ponytail with a blue band. Further investigations have revealed the man wore dentures.

The distance between where Julian Golding went missing and the UID man was found is 23km roughly (26 min drive).

See photos for comparison of Julian Golding’s missing photo and the police composite.

would love to hear anyone’s thoughts.

Attachments

• FAC2DD29-8B20-410C-A17D-8497B61E5D6C.jpeg
    FAC2DD29-8B20-410C-A17D-8497B61E5D6C.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 4F7C83F1-010D-4ED5-B92F-9862BCC8F98E.jpeg
    4F7C83F1-010D-4ED5-B92F-9862BCC8F98E.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 13
I’m wondering if the possibility that is is Julian Golding that is the unidentified person.
Julian GOLDING
This one says he was last seen walking west along “Tyungum road” (which doesn’t exist, I’m guessing should have been Tyalgum Rd?) towards Uki and that he was last seen 8 September 2010.
This post says he was last seen on Murwillumbah Rd walking away from Uki on Thursday the 9th of September.
I can’t find a Murwillumbah Rd leaving from Uki either, roads may have been renamed?
Apparently the inquest was two years ago but I can’t find anything online about it.
He’s described as 63 at the time, 165cm tall, fair complexion, grey hair and in the photo on the sites I can’t see any teeth. He was last seen September 2010.

We know the UID man was found Saturday 24 November 2012, in a cotton-fibre style bag on the bank of the Tweed River at Tumbulgum, about 10km east of Murwillumbah.
A post mortem examination established that the man was Caucasian and aged between 50 to 70-years-old, was 163cm tall, with a thin build and grey hair tied in a ponytail with a blue band. Further investigations have revealed the man wore dentures.

The distance between where Julian Golding went missing and the UID man was found is 23km roughly (26 min drive).

See photos for comparison of Julian Golding’s missing photo and the police composite.

I’m still not 100% on the hair length.
However, if he was abducted and held captive for some time, it could have grown before his passing (whether of natural causes or foul play) and being put inside the bag in the river.
I can’t find anywhere that estimates how long the remains had been there before being found to see if this could be a possibility.
I found a sailing thread online that mentions he was an innovative sailor and good man. It also said his health condition was from the effects of a heavy second stroke.

Julian GOLDING

That's a very good suggestion.

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph
This is about the search for Julian. He owns a 70ha property at Mt Warning. The search seems to have been focussed that side of Murwillumbah, rugged bush from Mt Warning to Uki. Whereas the unidentified man was found in the other direction, which would be consistent with the direction in which Julian was walking when last seen. I'm thinking someone in a passing car tried to help by giving Julian a lift into Murwillumbah, he had another stroke and either couldn't communicate or died on the way, the situation was too much for the driver and the person dropped him off more or less at random instead of taking him to a hospital.

Last edited:
No Cookies | Daily Telegraph
This is about the search for Julian. He owns a 70ha property at Mt Warning. The search seems to have been focussed that side of Murwillumbah, rugged bush from Mt Warning to Uki. Whereas the unidentified man was found in the other direction, which would be consistent with the direction in which Julian was walking when last seen. I'm thinking someone in a passing car tried to help by giving Julian a lift into Murwillumbah, he had another stroke and either couldn't communicate or died on the way, the situation was too much for the driver and the person dropped him off more or less at random instead of taking him to a hospital.
This could be possible. Good thinking.
According to conflicting reports he was last seen on the 8/9th but wasn’t reported missing until the 15th? That’s a long time.
The inconsistency in dates could also begin walking to/from a friends house that is mentioned.
Also why stay in a caravan park so close to your home? The only reason I could think was maybe after his second stroke his condition deteriorated and his family were caring for him at the property, and the stay away was some form of respite care?

This could be possible. Good thinking.
According to conflicting reports he was last seen on the 8/9th but wasn’t reported missing until the 15th? That’s a long time.
The inconsistency in dates could also begin walking to/from a friends house that is mentioned.
Also why stay in a caravan park so close to your home? The only reason I could think was maybe after his second stroke his condition deteriorated and his family were caring for him at the property, and the stay away was some form of respite care?
Yes, on second thoughts . . . perhaps he'd walked to Uki and was seen returning home; Uki is less than half the distance from Mt Warning than is Murwillumbah in the other direction. That fits better with saying he was heading away from Uki rather than towards Murwillumbah. And then whatever took him to Tumbulgum or thereabouts (if Julian is our man) was another occasion. But if family reported Julian missing on 15th and he was definitely alive on 8/9th, and it was known that he had a favourite place (from which they started the search), it sounds like family were keeping a fairly close watch on him . . . not like he would have been walking/hitchhiking far, let alone with a cushion cover as sleeping bag in case he needed to camp out. Anyway I hope the family have offered their DNA for comparison.

I’m still not 100% on the hair length.
However, if he was abducted and held captive for some time, it could have grown before his passing (whether of natural causes or foul play) and being put inside the bag in the river.
I can’t find anywhere that estimates how long the remains had been there before being found to see if this could be a possibility.
I found a sailing thread online that mentions he was an innovative sailor and good man. It also said his health condition was from the effects of a heavy second stroke.

Can I ask possibly a stupid question? If the body was so badly decomposed, how can they tell he had a ponytail?

Here’s a pic of the bad the body was found in. This appears on the NSW POLICE FORCE Facebook page. It was posted on June 3, 2013 and is still open to public viewing.

Anyone got any ideas on what kinda bag it is?

Attachments

• 502812EC-A3AC-46BB-BC43-D32DCE537DD9.jpeg
    502812EC-A3AC-46BB-BC43-D32DCE537DD9.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 5

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members