AZ AZ - Charles Cuma, 45, Grand Canyon, 27 June 1949

jazzbo13

Reaction score
Charles Cuma was born in Czechoslovakia and emigrated to the United States sometime in 1923. By the early 1940s he was an engineer working for the Chrysler Corporation in Detroit. He was married to Rose A. (Smith) Cuma (28 OCT 1909 to 27 JAN 1968), and per the Detroit Free Press of 16 MAR 1941, lived at 210 W Grixdale in Detroit.

Sometime in the 1940s, Charles Cuma retired. He and his wife relocated to Kissimmee, Florida. In 1949, Charles was asked to come out of retirement and accepted the position of assistant professor of engineering at The University of New Mexico. He and Rose set up life in Albuquerque in a rented home near the University at 766 Montclaire NE. It was here, on Sunday June, 26 that Rose last saw Charles. She had left for church at 8:40 am, and when she returned at 10:10 am, he was gone.

Charles took no bag, coat, or wrap. He had previously expressed doubts about his effectiveness as an instructor to his wife and friends, and this weighed heavily upon him. It was said that his disposition could be called despondent. He apparently left Albuquerque by bus, and travelled overnight to the Grand Canyon. On the morning of June 27, a Ranger at the Grand Canyon would be the last person to see Charles Cuma, as he descended the Bright Angel Trail and into oblivion.

Rangers searched for him to no avail. In the days following, there was a report of a sighting of him in Española, New Mexico. A friend of Charles was dispatched, but the sighting was refuted. Within weeks, Mrs. Cuma petitioned the court for appointment as head of their community to handle their community property, and moved back to Rogers City, Michigan. In October of 1956 she would ask for a death ruling, and one would be granted in January of 1957.

This thread was compiled entirely from stories printed in the Arizona Republic and Albuquerque Journal at the time of Charles Cuma's disappearance. I have no idea if a missing person's report was ever filed, either with authorities in Albuquerque, or the National Park Service.

I am thinking of the family of Charles in the US and those who may be in the Czech Republic or neighbouring countries. I hope that you will find answers and peace. x

I am thinking of the family of Charles in the US and those who may be in the Czech Republic or neighbouring countries. I hope that you will find answers and peace. x
From what I was able to ascertain, the couple was childless, and there was no mention of any other family save for the spouse.

Hello. I am thrilled to have found this post. I am a distant relative of Charles Cuma. I did not know about this ancestor until last week. After cleaning out our house, I found his letters that he sent home when he emigrated and lived in the USA. I have a lot of photos and letters. I am related in the sense that my grandmother was a Cuma and he was her great uncle. Charles was born around 1883 in the Czech Republic in the village of Olomučany. His letters end around 1948. I have photos of him as a young boy and an adult already from the USA. Original name KAREL Čuma.To this day, no one knew how he lived and why the letters stopped coming.Sorry for my english :)

Hello. I am thrilled to have found this post. I am a distant relative of Charles Cuma. I did not know about this ancestor until last week. After cleaning out our house, I found his letters that he sent home when he emigrated and lived in the USA. I have a lot of photos and letters. I am related in the sense that my grandmother was a Cuma and he was her great uncle. Charles was born around 1883 in the Czech Republic in the village of Olomučany. His letters end around 1948. I have photos of him as a young boy and an adult already from the USA. Original name KAREL Čuma.To this day, no one knew how he lived and why the letters stopped coming.Sorry for my english :)
Welcome Coracuma! I am the originator of this thread. Imagine my surprise at receiving a reply after nearly two and a half years. I live in Arizona, have an interest in history, and frequently read through old issues of newspapers looking for interesting and odd stories with the hope of reaching some conclusion. The story of Charles Cuma certainly got my interest.

Having travelled extensively in both Arizona and New Mexico, I know how easy it is to disappear here. I would be happy to assist you in any way I can, and welcome you to reply. And no worries. Your English is better than most!

Hello, and welcome to Websleuths. I wish you well in searching for your great uncle.

I suggest that you look at the link to his wife's Find a Grave listing in my post #4 above. Rose A. Smith Cuma was from Michigan, and returned there some time after his disappearance.

If you follow some of the other Smith family links you will find obituaries which in turn list other family members still living. Contacting some of them could lead you to further information.

Hello, and welcome to Websleuths. I wish you well in searching for your great uncle.

I suggest that you look at the link to his wife's Find a Grave listing in my post #4 above. Rose A. Smith Cuma was from Michigan, and returned there some time after his disappearance.

If you follow some of the other Smith family links you will find obituaries which in turn list other family members still living. Contacting some of them could lead you to further information.
Hello to everybody, thank you for the replies. It's amazing that after all this time someone is interested in such cases. I found the next and last letter from Ross and she also says that Karel is lost and declared missing. I didn't think about contacting the Smiths, after all it's already 70 years and there probably won't be any witnesses. Hopefully it will be clarified how Karel died. Otherwise, for the sake of interest, he had 3 brothers. And the descendants of one of them still live in the Czech Republic in Olomučany. The second brother was also childless.

Welcome Coracuma! I am the originator of this thread. Imagine my surprise at receiving a reply after nearly two and a half years. I live in Arizona, have an interest in history, and frequently read through old issues of newspapers looking for interesting and odd stories with the hope of reaching some conclusion. The story of Charles Cuma certainly got my interest.

Having travelled extensively in both Arizona and New Mexico, I know how easy it is to disappear here. I would be happy to assist you in any way I can, and welcome you to reply. And no worries. Your English is better than most!

Hello, thanks for your interest and effort. It's wonderful to find some information after such a long time.

Hello, thanks for your interest and effort. It's wonderful to find some information after such a long time.
It is possible that you might find some answers in Michigan court records if you request a copy of Rose Smith Cuma's October 1956 petition for a ruling of death. She would have needed to include supporting documentation.

With the court's ruling in January 1957 might have been issued a death certificate.

If Rose died without children, another relative probably was appointed executor of her estate. Michigan probate records might hold some answers, or some leads to further research.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX
Back