AZ Earlric Reynold, 13 years old, fatally shot in a nerf gun battle. Supposed “accident”/shooter didn’t reality gun was real gun. Suspect arrested.

BenjaminJAndersonAlly

Verified Insider - Benjamin Anderson case
Reaction score
Last edited:

Um... How about no.

Nerf guns are neon coloured plastic and weigh next to nothing.

Real guns are heavy, very heavy, and metal.

There's no way in the world you could mistake one for another. The moment you touched it, you'd realise, long before you picked it up and fired it.

MOO

Um... How about no.

There's no way in the world you could mistake one for another. The moment you touched it, you'd realise, long before you picked it up and fired it.

MOO
^^ Totally agree ^^

Um... How about no.

Very true and I fully agree.

But... I am thinking there is a possibility that the reporter confused "nerf" with "air soft"?

Higher end air soft guns which shoot plastic BBS can be very close replicas of the actual weapon. Some airsoft guns are tipped in orange (which some buyers remove).

Other air soft guns, however, lack even the orange tip. Mix the lack of an orange tip with ubber detailed higher end models that enthusiasts prefer, and one can be mistaken regarding airsoft verse real until one actually pulls the trigger (providing that it was already loaded).

Last edited:
The suspect, 18-year-old Adolfo Villalva, told officers he accidentally shot Reynolds with a 9mm Ruger handgun he had brought with him.
[snip]
Detectives say Villalva hid the gun under a water bucket in the backyard before officers arrived. The gun was found after Villalva told them where it was. He was then taken into custody.
[snip]
Per court documents, Villalva said he and Reynolds were playing with a Nerf gun in the living room. He told detectives that he took the Nerf gun away from Reynolds, then simultaneously pointed the Nerf gun and the 9mm at the boy. He said he thought he was pulling the trigger for the toy gun but pulled the handgun trigger instead.
Man ‘accidentally’ kills 13-year-old boy while playing with Nerf gun, 9mm handgun, Phoenix police say

Pulling a 9mm in the middle of a nerf gun fight is no accident. This idiot was holding a nerf gun in one hand and showing off his 9 in the other. What kind of moron DOES THAT when playing with a 13 year old?? Maybe he really did pull the trigger by accident but this was idiotic beyond words.

The suspect, 18-year-old Adolfo Villalva, told officers he accidentally shot Reynolds with a 9mm Ruger handgun he had brought with him.
[snip]
Detectives say Villalva hid the gun under a water bucket in the backyard before officers arrived. The gun was found after Villalva told them where it was. He was then taken into custody.
[snip]
Per court documents, Villalva said he and Reynolds were playing with a Nerf gun in the living room. He told detectives that he took the Nerf gun away from Reynolds, then simultaneously pointed the Nerf gun and the 9mm at the boy. He said he thought he was pulling the trigger for the toy gun but pulled the handgun trigger instead.
Man ‘accidentally’ kills 13-year-old boy while playing with Nerf gun, 9mm handgun, Phoenix police say

Pulling a 9mm in the middle of a nerf gun fight is no accident. This idiot was holding a nerf gun in one hand and showing off his 9 in the other. What kind of moron DOES THAT when playing with a 13 year old?? Maybe he really did pull the trigger by accident but this was idiotic beyond words.
I think the story is utter BS. They changed the scene, moved the victim around, hid the weapon. I think they came up with a story about an 'accident' to try to cover their butts because he had priors for violent offences that meant he wasn't meant to have a gun at all.

I think he was menacing this kid with the gun, maybe because the kid shot him with the NERF gun, maybe not, probably because he gets off on making people terrified, and maybe he didn't mean to kill the kid, but that was the result, and then he tried to cover it up. He has a prior for aggravated robbery. He likes to hurt and scare people. He is a danger to society and needs to be in prison.

MOO

Whoops! Wrong gun! That only works if you call LEO, and actually give them the weapon. Not after you change the scene, they search and find the weapon, and you make up a new story.
It shouldn't work even then. Guns aren't toys. Anyone waving one around like it is one, especially around kids, should be facing down manslaughter charges at minimum if someone gets killed.

MOO

It shouldn't work even then. Guns aren't toys. Anyone waving one around like it is one, especially around kids, should be facing down manslaughter charges at minimum if someone gets killed.

MOO
THIS!!!! My dad taught us the first rule of weapons handling is "there is no such thing as an unloaded weapon."

There are two more that I can't even think of right now because I am p'd off!! We are in trouble in this world the way people treat WEAPONS! (Sorry for shrieking!) :mad::mad::mad::mad:

MOO
Yes. One rule firearms I learned in CCW class many moons ago … “Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.”

**edited because I think @NervousNellie may be correct and 1st rule may actually be to treat the firearm as though “gun is always loaded.” Not certain as to which order the rules were stated in. I am old, and this was like 20+ years ago for me**

Last edited:
THIS!!!! My dad taught us the first rule of weapons handling is "there is no such thing as an unloaded weapon."

There are two more that I can't even think of right now because I am p'd off!! We are in trouble in this world the way people treat WEAPONS! (Sorry for shrieking!) :mad::mad::mad::mad:
ALL THE YES!!!

Last edited:
Yes. One rule firearms I learned in CCW class many moons ago … “Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.”

**edited because I think @NervousNellie may be correct and 1st rule may actually be to treat the firearm as though “gun is always loaded.” Not certain as to which order the rules were stated in. I am old, and this was like 20+ years ago for me**
Right!?!? I'm pretty sure rule #2 for us was something like 'you don't pull a weapon unless you plan to shoot it' or 'you don't point a weapon, you shoot it." Which is essentially the same thing you said. Clearly some of us have been taught weapons safety. He always said that pulling a weapon to point it at someone was just waiting for trouble. If you feel the need to have drawn your weapon , it's because you plan to shoot it. What the heck was #3? (I haven't held a weapon in decades, so it's okay I don't remember that one!)

Also, my dad always used the term weapons rather than guns. He wanted us to understand they are dangerous (I mean, they were literally all over the house, so it was probably a good idea to educate us! ;)). Why was this 18 y/o PLAYING with a weapon?

Right!?!? I'm pretty sure rule #2 for us was something like 'you don't pull a weapon unless you plan to shoot it' or 'you don't point a weapon, you shoot it." Which is essentially the same thing you said. Clearly some of us have been taught weapons safety. He always said that pulling a weapon to point it at someone was just waiting for trouble. If you feel the need to have drawn your weapon , it's because you plan to shoot it. What the heck was #3? (I haven't held a weapon in decades, so it's okay I don't remember that one!)

Also, my dad always used the term weapons rather than guns. He wanted us to understand they are dangerous (I mean, they were literally all over the house, so it was probably a good idea to educate us! ;)). Why was this 18 y/o PLAYING with a weapon?
Rules of Firearm Safety (per Scottsdale Gun Club but pretty universal, imo):

We're in trouble the way people treat each other. Full stop.

MOO I wish I could say it's just teens and very young adults, but it's pervasive across age groups. AMOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukeyboy43
Back