AZ - Gilbert resident Preston Lord, 16, murdered by "Gilbert Goons"

Just days after the murder, a screengrab of a Snapchat chat was circulated that appeared to be written by Vigil, one of the teens now charged in the killing.

The post read: 'I hit a kid and this kid feel hit his head and then they kicked his head in the ground then I got word he died so idk.'

After the post caught the community's attention, Talyn posted a public message on his Snapchat account that read: 'Yo I understand everyone is hurting right now and wants to find the kids that did this but you got the wrong talyn... the real kids name is talan renner. Please stop accusing me I was there I tried to help the kid off the street thank you.'

Just days after the murder, a screengrab of a Snapchat chat was circulated that appeared to be written by Vigil, one of the teens now charged in the killing.

The post read: 'I hit a kid and this kid feel hit his head and then they kicked his head in the ground then I got word he died so idk.'

After the post caught the community's attention, Talyn posted a public message on his Snapchat account that read: 'Yo I understand everyone is hurting right now and wants to find the kids that did this but you got the wrong talyn... the real kids name is talan renner. Please stop accusing me I was there I tried to help the kid off the street thank you.'
The three Renners are all pictured in this article. Talan’s photo looks like a normal football photo. His brother Kyler looks like a psychopath. There is something weird about his eyes and facial expression.

What's with the name Talan? Is it a regional thing? Never seen it before.

It is an uncommon name. It is odd that there was a Talan and a Talyn in the same town. The name was was ranked 291 in boys names in 2004 and declined in use from there.

The wonderful thing about their generation , they document everything they do..... chances are if Preston had not died they would have had a longer run, PD didn't connect the dots and many cases were not reported. I am still hopeful they will get gang charges too....
Gang charges -- hmmm, I had forgotten about that type of charge... Yes, by all means, it should be added because that is exactly what they did. Yes, indeed. Grrrrr.

the text messages alone, they should just plead guilty...... the pd did a lot of behind the scenes work.
What could their defense be? Possible defenses are brains not fully developed as teens. The ones who are athletes might have had concussions that influenced their behavior. Some might be on medications that had side effects or used illegal drugs. Crowd pressure from their peers? Some might take a plea but is it likely all 7 will do that? Will pleas be offered to the ones that did not deliver what is considered fatal blows so they turn on the ones who were the most culpable?

Last edited:
What could their defense be? Possible defenses are brains not fully developed as teens. The ones who are athletes might have had concussions that influenced their behavior. Some might be on medications that had side effects or used illegal drugs. Crowd pressure from their peers? Some might take a plea but is it likely all 7 will do that? Will pleas be offered to the ones that did not deliver what is considered fatal blows so they turn on the ones who were the most culpable?
I think pleas will be offered to whoever mans up first ad admits and stops wasting the courts time. There is no defense , but this is just the worst of the cases they are involved in, they have been carrying on too long a strong lesson needs to be sent in my opinion. I think the only plea deal would not be on the charges, but the sentence.

Over 1,000 page police report released.

Download file
Thank you for sharing this! I've uploaded it to Scribd. https://www.scribd.com/document/719...reek-Police-Department-General-Offense-Report

I did not read through it all, but I did notice one surprising thing--Dominic Turner is listed as a citizen of Ukraine. Citizenship information is not included for all of the arrestees, so I don't think it's just a case of typing "U" and getting Ukraine instead of United States.

Hoping they have enough info to charge some of the parents too that are suspected of or reportedly tried to conceal their childs involvement.
From the link below, and paraphrased :
It does sound as though some parents made an effort to make it appear the main murderer was away at the time ?
How is this teaching your child anything ?
Do they think their child would never turn on them ?
That has happened before now.

Also from the link, it looks like this vicious group had perpetrated other attacks on kids as well.
Acts of terror and now, murder.
Basically free reign to do as they pleased.

According to the article, one surviving teen's arm was broken.
This may have been a case of mistaken identity ?
The 'goon gang' was looking for someone who had videoed a previous attack.

Horrible to think that if Preston hadn't died, this would've been allowed to continue ?
Omo.

Rest in peace, Preston.
May justice be swift and harsh.
My utmost condolences to his grieving family.

This excellent timeline makes clear that the "Gilbert Goons" have been a known problem, possibly since 2022. I decided to look in the General Offense Report for more on the general topic of the "Gilbert Goons":

There are several mentions of the defining characteristic of the GG as a group that jumps/assaults people, and their existence seems widely known.
  • pg. 315: "[redacted] stated she was speaking with her friend, identified as [redacted] used to be in a relationship with a male subject, identified as Talon Renner. Talon is a member of a gang identified as the "Gilbert Goons", who reside in Gilbert, and go around town assaulting people. [redacted] told [redacted] that Talon is the one responsible for the death of [redacted]. Talon attends Williams Field High School, and [redacted] attends Highland High School. Both [redacted] and [redacted] wished to remain anonymous, as their parents were not aware of them speaking with PD regarding the incident. I advised them their names would need to be documented in the police report."
  • pg. 361: "A gang called the Gilbert Goons is involved, a group that goes around to parties jumping people."
  • pg. 371: "To wit, she saw a comment on a new article detailing recent FBI involvement in the case which stated ""not saying this is related to the loss of this kid, but there's talk of a group of teenagers calling themselves the 'gilbert goons" and they beat people senseless for fun." I provided [tip provider] with an Axon Community link which she uploaded two screenshots to"
  • pg. 433: "[redacted] said he use to hangout with gang who calls themselves the Gilbert Goons. [redacted] said he stopped hanging around them because all they do is cause trouble."
  • pg. 447: "[redacted] said she has hung out with that group of kids before and they are known as the "Gilbert Goons". [redacted] said she hears that this group are known to jump people.
  • pg. 536: "[interviewee] referred to when he was in school there was a group of kids including himself that would call themselves Gilbert Goons. This wasn't a gana, it was just kids who weren't as wealthy as other Gilbert kids. [interviewee] references [redacted] assaulting people and going to jail and his friends not having his back.
    I asked for a list of people who were either associated or called themselves the Gilbert Goons who were a part of Talan's friend group:"
  • pg. 601: "[redacted] talked about previous fights from the past year where the Gilbert Goons go around to parking garages, Inn and Out parking lots, or other high school parties and attack people. [redacted] talked about how violent the fights were and included brass knuckles are used and people are thrown to the ground and are "Curb Stomped". [redacted] has watched multiple videos and seen all the people she mentioned earlier in the videos brutally fighting.
    [redacted] talked about Treston having a private Instagram [redacted] deleted now account) where all the fights were recorded and shared between everyone. [redacted] said the Gilbert Goons are known to fight and always have one of them recording the incident while they beat the person they are engaging with until they are hospitalized. [redacted] confirmed she seen all the Gilbert Goons at the party."
  • pg. 604: "[redacted] talked about an Inn and Out fight in San Tan Village in Gilbert where the Gilbert Goons attacked someone and set this person to the hospital. [redacted] also talked about seeing fight videos from the Gilbert Goons attacking other kids in parking ramps, and at house parties.
    [redacted] hasn't seen any pictures of anyone who was at the party and did not know who was at the party that night. [redacted] talked about going to a Halloween party in Chandler last year at E Riggs Rd by Basha High school and said the Gilbert Goons were there and Treston wore a white Pope outfit.
    [redacted] is good friends with [redacted] who attends school at Desert Ride. [redacted] used to be a part of the Gilbert Goons. [redacted]used to be friends with Talan and tried to talk to him after the incident, but couldn't. [redacted] said Gilbert Goons are noted for their brutal fights with brass
    knuckles and beating people until they go to the hospital.
    talked about [redacted] Owen Hines, Talan, and Kyler Renner are the worst ones." This section then details videos of other fights.
  • pg. 612: Describes an anonymous call with two individuals and LE in which they discuss knowledge of two different women whose sons were assaulted by the GG, and that other assaults were known to have happened. "They advised these Goons have assaulted people at In and Out (unknown location in February or March of this year) and parking garages. They advised many of these incidents were never reported to Gilbert Police due to fear of retaliation."
  • pg. 876: Gilbert PD provided information to Chandler PD on different investigations that had involved the GG. Some members were known and named.
There are many mentions of members from different high schools. This is surprising to me as I barely knew anyone at different high schools, much less terrorizing a suburb with them, but then again things like Snapchat and TikTok didn't exist to connect people.
  • pg. 315 quoted above says Talon Renner attends Williams Field High School. Highland High School is also mentioned.
  • pg. 421: "[redacted] claimed most of the students go to Perry High School based on information he had seen previously about the group on social media.
  • pg. 604 quoted above mentions Desert Ride and a party near Basha High School

Compiler's note: I've written [redacted] for the portions that have been blacked out for public release, and I've chosen to redact other names visible in the report just to prevent them from spreading around or causing confusion.
I decided to leave Kyler Renner's name in as he is Talan's brother, mentioned as a member of the GG in this report, and mentioned in MSM articles discussing the Renner family and their alleged attempts to evade LE.

This excellent timeline makes clear that the "Gilbert Goons" have been a known problem, possibly since 2022. I decided to look in the General Offense Report for more on the general topic of the "Gilbert Goons":

There are several mentions of the defining characteristic of the GG as a group that jumps/assaults people, and their existence seems widely known.
  • pg. 315: "[redacted] stated she was speaking with her friend, identified as [redacted] used to be in a relationship with a male subject, identified as Talon Renner. Talon is a member of a gang identified as the "Gilbert Goons", who reside in Gilbert, and go around town assaulting people. [redacted] told [redacted] that Talon is the one responsible for the death of [redacted]. Talon attends Williams Field High School, and [redacted] attends Highland High School. Both [redacted] and [redacted] wished to remain anonymous, as their parents were not aware of them speaking with PD regarding the incident. I advised them their names would need to be documented in the police report."
  • pg. 361: "A gang called the Gilbert Goons is involved, a group that goes around to parties jumping people."
  • pg. 371: "To wit, she saw a comment on a new article detailing recent FBI involvement in the case which stated ""not saying this is related to the loss of this kid, but there's talk of a group of teenagers calling themselves the 'gilbert goons" and they beat people senseless for fun." I provided [tip provider] with an Axon Community link which she uploaded two screenshots to"
  • pg. 433: "[redacted] said he use to hangout with gang who calls themselves the Gilbert Goons. [redacted] said he stopped hanging around them because all they do is cause trouble."
  • pg. 447: "[redacted] said she has hung out with that group of kids before and they are known as the "Gilbert Goons". [redacted] said she hears that this group are known to jump people.
  • pg. 536: "[interviewee] referred to when he was in school there was a group of kids including himself that would call themselves Gilbert Goons. This wasn't a gana, it was just kids who weren't as wealthy as other Gilbert kids. [interviewee] references [redacted] assaulting people and going to jail and his friends not having his back.
    I asked for a list of people who were either associated or called themselves the Gilbert Goons who were a part of Talan's friend group:"
  • pg. 601: "[redacted] talked about previous fights from the past year where the Gilbert Goons go around to parking garages, Inn and Out parking lots, or other high school parties and attack people. [redacted] talked about how violent the fights were and included brass knuckles are used and people are thrown to the ground and are "Curb Stomped". [redacted] has watched multiple videos and seen all the people she mentioned earlier in the videos brutally fighting.
    [redacted] talked about Treston having a private Instagram [redacted] deleted now account) where all the fights were recorded and shared between everyone. [redacted] said the Gilbert Goons are known to fight and always have one of them recording the incident while they beat the person they are engaging with until they are hospitalized. [redacted] confirmed she seen all the Gilbert Goons at the party."
  • pg. 604: "[redacted] talked about an Inn and Out fight in San Tan Village in Gilbert where the Gilbert Goons attacked someone and set this person to the hospital. [redacted] also talked about seeing fight videos from the Gilbert Goons attacking other kids in parking ramps, and at house parties.
    [redacted] hasn't seen any pictures of anyone who was at the party and did not know who was at the party that night. [redacted] talked about going to a Halloween party in Chandler last year at E Riggs Rd by Basha High school and said the Gilbert Goons were there and Treston wore a white Pope outfit.
    [redacted] is good friends with [redacted] who attends school at Desert Ride. [redacted] used to be a part of the Gilbert Goons. [redacted]used to be friends with Talan and tried to talk to him after the incident, but couldn't. [redacted] said Gilbert Goons are noted for their brutal fights with brass
    talked about [redacted] Owen Hines, Talan, and Kyler Renner are the worst ones." This section then details videos of other fights.
  • pg. 612: Describes an anonymous call with two individuals and LE in which they discuss knowledge of two different women whose sons were assaulted by the GG, and that other assaults were known to have happened. "They advised these Goons have assaulted people at In and Out (unknown location in February or March of this year) and parking garages. They advised many of these incidents were never reported to Gilbert Police due to fear of retaliation."
  • pg. 876: Gilbert PD provided information to Chandler PD on different investigations that had involved the GG. Some members were known and named.
There are many mentions of members from different high schools. This is surprising to me as I barely knew anyone at different high schools, much less terrorizing a suburb with them, but then again things like Snapchat and TikTok didn't exist to connect people.
  • pg. 315 quoted above says Talon Renner attends Williams Field High School. Highland High School is also mentioned.
  • pg. 421: "[redacted] claimed most of the students go to Perry High School based on information he had seen previously about the group on social media.

Compiler's note: I've written [redacted] for the portions that have been blacked out for public release, and I've chosen to redact other names visible in the report just to prevent them from spreading around or causing confusion.
I decided to leave Kyler Renner's name in as he is Talan's brother, mentioned as a member of the GG in this report, and mentioned in MSM articles discussing the Renner family and their alleged attempts to evade LE.
Wow! Why have they been allowed to terrorize a community? Because the parents are rich? Seems to me, IMO, that the police department should share in the liability and take responsibility for their lack of protecting the community.

Phoenix police had to apologize earlier this month after Talan's parents Becky and Travis Renner received special valet parking services from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office cops.

Infuriating.

Travis Renner was also arrested in January on suspicion of drug possession and paraphernalia charges while his son Kyler was taken into custody over the gang violence claims.

Here's a case where the apple didn't fall far from the tree ?
Omo.

I still think the goons were at least inspired by the AZ Devil Dogs a gang in Gilbert in the 90's A Culture of Violence and Denial now it is in and out burger, then it was taco bell.

Wow! Why have they been allowed to terrorize a community? Because the parents are rich? Seems to me, IMO, that the police department should share in the liability and take responsibility for their lack of protecting the community.
I think several of the crimes went unreported so the connection was not there at first.

I still think the goons were at least inspired by the AZ Devil Dogs a gang in Gilbert in the 90's A Culture of Violence and Denial now it is in and out burger, then it was taco bell.

A gang of teens in the 1990s dubbed the "Devil Dogs" terrorized Gilbert residents with a string of assaults and beatings.

It’s a dark chapter in the town’s history that can be traced back to a mobster, drugs and white supremacist rhetoric. The group that evolved into the Devil Dogs in 1999 was formed as far back as 1992.

The gang violence shocked the town, which was experiencing explosive growth.

One beating led to several teens serving jail sentences. Ties to a drug trafficking ring led to the Devil Dogs gaining national attention. A local outcry for accountability and a culture change led to an intervention in schools.

Circumstances surrounding the recent killing of teenager Preston Lord in Queen Creek, notably suspicions about a group of violent teens dubbed the "Gilbert Goons," echo the types of attacks at the hands of the Devil Dogs a quarter-century earlier

The parents of the goons would have known about this gang if they grew up in Gilbert.

A pack of teenage white supremacists savaged 18-year-old Jordan Jarvis on May 31, 1999, as he sat trapped in an open-air Jeep, strapped in by a seat belt, unable to defend himself or flee.

The boy's mother believes the gangbangers got off with light sentences because they are white. The assailants are all Devil Dogs, the Valley's most publicized gang and a subset of an older outfit in Gilbert known as White Power.

They are a new kind of street , suburban children with all of life's advantages -- one drove a Volvo -- from stable, two-parent families. The Devil Dogs are high school athletes and body builders so pumped up on the steroids they sold, used and distributed that police reports repeatedly quote victims' astonishment at the sheer size of their attackers.

When the Devil Dogs beat down Jarvis, it was a case of mistaken identity. They had the wrong guy. But the Devil Dogs always got the wrong guy because they brutalized at random. The Dogs would call some stranger a "*advertiser censored*" or a "" just to get something going, then swing into action, actually barking like Dobermans and stomping their victim until it was over.

It would be interesting to know if any of the goons were related to a devil dog.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJAY0618
Back