AZ AZ - Robert William "Bobby" Fisher, Scottsdale, Apr 2001 *FBI Ten Most Wanted*

DEC 11, 2014
On the run: FBI says "Ten Most Wanted" fugitive Robert William Fisher killed wife, kids in 2001 - CBS News
[...]

According to Skeen, Fisher was last seen around 10:30 p.m. the night of the crime. He was captured on surveillance video driving in his wife's car with the family dog and taking cash out of an ATM. His car was discovered ten days later ditched in the Tonto National Forest, with the dog, unharmed, inside.

[...]

"It's very possible he's still living in the woods," Skeen said. "He definitely had the skills to be able to it."

APR 7, 2016
FBI to release new Robert Fisher photos

APR 8, 2016
The hunt for Robert Fisher

APR 8, 2016
FBI reveals new images of fugitive Robert Fisher

APR 7, 2016
FBI to release new pictures in Fisher case
The release of the age-enhanced photos Friday is timed in conjuction with the 15-year anniversary of the crimes, which happened on April 10.

APR 8, 2016
Age-Enhanced Photos Released of Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Robert William Fisher — FBI
Today, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Scottsdale Police Department are releasing new age-enhanced photos of Robert William Fisher, one of the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted Fugitives. A new poster with age-enhanced photos can be viewed at https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/robert-william-fisher/view.

[...]

The last known photo of Fisher is from 1999. The eight new age-enhanced photos depict what Fisher might look like today. He will turn 55 years old next week.

Starting today, with thanks to our partners at Clear Channel Outdoor, digital billboards across Arizona will display Fisher’s photo from 1999, his charges, and the number of the FBI tip line.

We are also asking the public to review again video footage of Fisher at:

At the time of the murders, Fisher had a noticeable gold crown on his upper left tooth. Additionally, he chewed tobacco heavily and walked with an exaggerated posture. He has ties to New Mexico and Florida.

[...]

FBI releases age-enhanced photos of Robert William Fisher
“It’s a difficult case to work because he’s a loner,” he said. “Loners are difficult to find, but we’re going to keep pursuing all our avenues until we do find him.”

New images, few leads in 2001 Robert Fisher case
[...]

Sunday marks the 15th anniversary of the murders. The renderings offer a variety of potential looks for Fisher, now 54.

635957342367705904-age-enhanced-fisher-2.jpg

"Fisher could easily be surviving in the wild, or be your next-door neighbor," said Justin Tolomeo, FBI's acting special agent in charge.

[...]

Officials said Friday that the FBI and Scottsdale police continue to field tips regularly about Fisher sightings, some as recently as last week.

The last confirmed sighting came just after the homicides, when a tow truck driver helped pull Fisher's vehicle out of a ditch.

[...]

AUG 19, 2016
FBI: Tip that Robert Fisher was in AZ was false alarm

5b982a46898b8.image.jpg
5b982a468d865.image.jpg

[...]

A report surfaced Friday that said Fisher, who has been one of the FBI's ten most wanted fugitives for years, had been captured in La Paz County, Arizona.

[...]

On Friday, a spokesman with the Phoenix FBI office released this statement:

"Despite the 15 years that have passed since Mary Fisher and her two children were brutally murdered in Scottsdale, the FBI continues to receive tips on the whereabouts of the only suspect, Robert William Fisher.

Today, the La Paz County Sheriff's Office and the Arizona Department of Public Safety received a tip and followed up on it. The tip proved to be a false alarm and no arrest was made.

The FBI, the Scottsdale Police Department and our law enforcement partners locally, nationally and internationally diligently pursue all tips and leads."-Jill McCabe, FBI Phoenix Field Office

[...]

Fisher, who was 40 years old at the time, was last seen the night before. Police said the family attended a hunting safety class while he shopped for camping-related supplies at nearby stores.

Less than two weeks later, authorities found Fisher's abandoned SUV and his dog about 90 miles northeast of Phoenix near the town of Young. Believing Fisher was possibly hiding out in a series of caves, more than 100 officers conducted a manhunt of the mountainous terrain. The search was called off a few days later.

[...]

The case was also featured this month on the CNN show, "The Hunt with John Walsh."

[...]

JAN 6 updated MAR 24, 2017
Arizona's Most Wanted: Robert Fisher
This is the first in a multi-part series on Arizona's Most Wanted.

Future installments will air on 12 News at 10 on Friday nights and and be posted here.

Name: Robert Fisher

Wanted for: The FBI believes Fisher slit his two children's throats while they were sleeping and shot his wife execution-style before blowing up the family's Scottsdale home in April 2001. The prior evening, his daughter had been inducted into the National Junior Honor Society at her school. Fisher's wife Mary was not at the ceremony, but Fisher was, and his behavior was odd, her teachers told Scottsdale police.

[...]

Scottsdale Police Report (511 pages): Robert Fisher police report

MAR 14, 2019
Robert Fisher among FBI tweets highlighted on 69th anniversary of most wanted list
The FBI on Thursday recognized the 69th anniversary of its "Top Ten Most Wanted Fugitive" list in a series of tweets that included two fugitives from Arizona.

[...]

The FBI is offering up to $100,000 for information leading to Fisher's arrest.

A flyer shared on the FBI's Twitter on Tuesday described Fisher as physically fit and an avid outdoorsman, hunter and fisherman. He has a noticeable gold crown on one of his upper left teeth and is known to chew tobacco heavily. He might walk with an "exaggerated erect posture" with his chest pushed out due to a lower back injury, the flyer said.

[...]

Fisher, who now would be 57, has ties to New Mexico and Florida and is believed to be in possession of several weapons including a high-powered rifle.

[...]

FBI on Twitter
Robert William Fisher is on the Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List for allegedly killing his wife & 2 children, & blowing up the house in which they all lived in Scottsdale, AZ, in 4/2001. $100K reward available for info leading directly to Fisher’s arrest. https://fbi.gov/wanted/topten/robert-william-fisher…

2:15 PM · Mar 14, 2019

Robert Fisher: Dead or alive?
[...]

So, Arizona’s Family went back to the exact GPS coordinates of Fisher’s last known location, in the middle of the Arizona woods, and retraced steps in the investigation, talking to those who have been closely involved, to try and get that answer. And this is what we found.

THE CRIME

“I still go back to that phone call,” said retired Scottsdale Police Detective T.J. Jiran.

[...]

It was on April 10, 2001. “911?” the dispatcher asked.

“It just like blew up!” the caller said.

“What’s on fire?” asked the dispatcher.

“The whole house,” the caller said.

The calls kept coming in.

“The whole house exploded,” said another caller.

5dc5fdfc40f61.image.jpg

A natural gas line had been cut, and accelerant spread throughout the house
and over the three bodies to cause the explosion. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

“Were there people inside the house?” asked another dispatcher.

“Yes there were, and they’re probably dead,” the caller said.

[...]

It was 8:30 in the morning.

[…]

“Think we have a homicide here,” he recalled.

There were pictures of him the night before the fire at a nearby ATM.

“He took out $280. That’s an odd amount, and it’s not much,” said reporter Briana Whitney.

[…]

5dc5fdee0b542.image.png

There were photos of Fisher at the ATM before the house fire.
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

[...]

“I know Mary and Robert had some problems,” said longtime Fisher family friend LG. “He was definitely controlling, definitely controlling.”

[...]

THE SEARCH

[...]

Our team drove out to the wooded area to check out where the car was found 18 years later. It’s so vast, you could walk 100 yards in any direction and get lost from the place that you started.
5dc5fde90703c.image.jpg

Miles away in the woods near Young, Arizona, Robert's 4Runner was found
a week later with his dog "Blue" guarding it. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

[...]

“It was the same area that your husband had been?” asked Whitney.

“Yep. Right where they had been,” said Greenbeck. “So my husband thinks now he was up there scouting it while they were camping.”

[...]

But the two detectives said one place was never searched.

“The area where the car was found, the 4Runner was found, is less than a mile from the [Fort] Apache Indian Reservation and territory, and that is strictly no hunting, no trespassing area,” said Heinzelman.

[...]

Jiran remembers the haunting phone call he got right after they found the 4Runner.

“I got a call from a couple that was actually up there a few days before we found the truck, and they were on the Old Young Road,” said Jiran.

The two saw a man walking toward the highway.

“And as she passed him, she looked at her husband and said, ‘That looks like Robert Fisher.' So, he walked out of there,” said Jiran.

THE THEORIES

[...]

Almost two decades later, time has gone on, but Greenbeck’s thoughts are as raw as ever.

[...]

... “Do you think Robert Fisher is dead or alive?” Whitney asked Heinzelman.

“He went off into the woods and committed suicide,” he said.

“Do you believe Robert Fisher is dead or alive?” Whitney asked Jiran. “I lean that he is still alive,” Jiran said.

And if he is, for Jiran, the dread of danger looms. “Let’s say he is with somebody. Now he needs to leave again. What’s he gonna do?” he said with fear in his voice. “If he did it once, why not do it again?”

I grew up in Arizona and was in the process of moving out of state when the murders happened. Such a sad case. I can't believe it's been almost 19 years.

I have no idea whether Robert Fisher alive or dead now, but one thing I'll say is this: if he's alive, I don't believe for a moment that he's in the wilderness of Gila County. The Arizona climate is harsh: cold in winters, hot in summers, with inconsistent water supply and scarce food sources. Gila County was hit pretty hard by wildfires and droughts in the years immediately after 2001. And I don't think he's hiding in plain sight in Arizona either; too many people know who he is. I suppose it's possible that someone might have let him hide in their basement or spare bedroom for all these years, but that would be a pretty wild outcome.

John Kirkham (the late Scottsdale PD detective who investigated the case) certainly seemed to think Fisher was alive, and IIRC, once expressed the belief that Fisher would be found under an assumed name in Mexico or Latin America. But I also think there's a reasonable chance that Fisher killed himself not long after the murders; he may have initially believed that he could claim the gas explosion was a terrible accident that happened while he was away on a camping trip. When he saw the news coverage of the case, he realized that excuse wasn't going to work and shot himself deep in the forest. (Again, all of this is my opinion only) But there are so many unanswered questions.

Last edited:
I absolutely believe he is alive. He withdrew cash. The vehicle he abandoned was wiped down so no fingerprints were left behind. I think he met someone just as evil as he was and they started a life somewhere else.

Yeah, I concede the lack of fingerprints in the SUV adds credence to the theory that he left the area alive. The family dog found by the vehicle is another clue which suggests that Fisher escaped. In my experience as a dog owner, most dogs would follow their owners into the wilderness, so the fact that it stayed by the car would seem to suggest that it couldn't follow Fisher. Police have never said much about the dog, but the way they talk about it in the documentary Where is Robert Fisher? implies that it was found sheltering under the vehicle.

It's such a weird case with so many unanswered questions. If he did make it out alive and into a new life, I hope he's constantly haunted by what he did.

Yeah, I concede the lack of fingerprints in the SUV adds credence to the theory that he left the area alive. The family dog found by the vehicle is another clue which suggests that Fisher escaped. In my experience as a dog owner, most dogs would follow their owners into the wilderness, so the fact that it stayed by the car would seem to suggest that it couldn't follow Fisher. Police have never said much about the dog, but the way they talk about it in the documentary Where is Robert Fisher? implies that it was found sheltering under the vehicle.

It's such a weird case with so many unanswered questions. If he did make it out alive and into a new life, I hope he's constantly haunted by what he did.

As a dog owner as well, I think I agree with that (even though mine obeys commands really well). After a couple hours, she would likely get scared, feel alone and try to find me. This case is hard to think about and yet again another family killer caring for his dog more but not his family. Not that he's the only family annihilator in the world still out there, this man NEEDS to be caught. Every time I look at pictures of Bobby and Brittany, I get so mad. If his dog listened really well, was really smart and this lunatic spent 10-minutes saying good bye—it's possible the dog would have stayed. Some of the pictures in the documentary on this (especially the one with Bobby standing next to his father with a dead bear in the background) make me sick that he has not payed for this.

Too bad dogs can't talk. Do we know what happened to the dog?

Too bad dogs can't talk. Do we know what happened to the dog?

LE never said much about the dog. It was a Queensland Heeler named "Blue." I assume police brought it back to the extended family, but I don't think I ever heard them publicly confirm that. Heelers live about 13-15 years according to Wikipedia, so it's certainly no longer alive now.

BTW, the fact that it was a Heeler makes me all the more confident that Fisher fled the area in a way that precluded Blue from following. Heelers have a strong herding instinct; if you don't give them a job, they'll find one. I suppose it's possible that a really well-attuned dog could have sensed from sounds/smells that Fisher was dangerously angry and not worth following. But I think the far more likely explanation is that it stuck to the area around the car because that was all it had as a familiar frame of reference.

Back to the case more generally, to the best of my recollection, police have only publicly acknowledged two leads beyond the vehicle/dog scene: (1) one of the LE people interviewed in the documentary says that there were credible sightings of him in Gila County in the days immediately after the murders, and (2) Detective Kirkham said in 2002 that he believed Fisher may have called the America's Most Wanted tipline in August 2001 (link to news story). Kirkham died after a stroke in 2006 (source). Kirkham supposedly told several people before he died that believed Fisher would be found in Mexico or Latin America.

I do wish that police would say more about what leads them to the conclusion that he's alive. I understand that they have good reason to not discuss specific leads or evidence, but a general statement like "We have evidence which leads us to beleive that Fisher fled the country" or "we have evidence that Fisher planned to escape" would I think help to keep up public interest in the case and counter the theory that he committed suicide in Gila County.

Last edited:
JAN 6 updated MAR 24, 2017
Arizona's Most Wanted: Robert Fisher
This is the first in a multi-part series on Arizona's Most Wanted.

Future installments will air on 12 News at 10 on Friday nights and and be posted here.

Name: Robert Fisher

Wanted for: The FBI believes Fisher slit his two children's throats while they were sleeping and shot his wife execution-style before blowing up the family's Scottsdale home in April 2001. The prior evening, his daughter had been inducted into the National Junior Honor Society at her school. Fisher's wife Mary was not at the ceremony, but Fisher was, and his behavior was odd, her teachers told Scottsdale police.

[...]

Scottsdale Police Report (511 pages): Robert Fisher police report

Where did you find this @PommyMommy ? Because I'd like to see more.

LE never said much about the dog. It was a Queensland Heeler named "Blue." I assume police brought it back to the extended family, but I don't think I ever heard them publicly confirm that. Heelers live about 13-15 years according to Wikipedia, so it's certainly no longer alive now.

BTW, the fact that it was a Heeler makes me all the more confident that Fisher fled the area in a way that precluded Blue from following. Heelers have a strong herding instinct; if you don't give them a job, they'll find one. I suppose it's possible that a really well-attuned dog could have sensed from sounds/smells that Fisher was dangerously angry and not worth following. But I think the far more likely explanation is that it stuck to the area around the car because that was all it had as a familiar frame of reference.

Back to the case more generally, to the best of my recollection, police have only publicly acknowledged two leads beyond the vehicle/dog scene: (1) one of the LE people interviewed in the documentary says that there were credible sightings of him in Gila County in the days immediately after the murders, and (2) Detective Kirkham said in 2002 that he believed Fisher may have called the America's Most Wanted tipline in August 2001 (link to news story). Kirkham died after a stroke in 2006 (source). Kirkham supposedly told several people before he died that believed Fisher would be found in Mexico or Latin America.

I do wish that police would say more about what leads them to the conclusion that he's alive. I understand that they have good reason to not discuss specific leads or evidence, but a general statement like "We have evidence which leads us to beleive that Fisher fled the country" or "we have evidence that Fisher planned to escape" would I think help to keep up public interest in the case and counter the theory that he committed suicide in Gila County.

One thing that's hard to answer is, to be able to survive on the run, he would have to have a steady supply of painkillers as police mentioned he was taking painkillers for his back after surgery. To be able to find a doctor to prescribe them would blow his cover easy. Unless he is in some country where it's easy to find crooked doctors who will dole out painkillers to anyone.

From the police reports, when he took Brittany to his national honor society, a teacher said to him, "You must be so proud". Robert Fisher just says, "Eh, it's to be expected".

That's a good point—that the dog could have sensed Robert was extremely angry from the fight he had with Mary. I think she told him it was over that night.

I'm still now sure of the reasoning behind blowing his house up. To me, it's more a metaphor (in his twisted mind) that his old life and family has been incinerated—destroyed, out-of-mind and meaningless. He lost his job (which by all accounts he loved and was dedicated to), he lost his future there and he likely met someone else at that point. I wish we would hear more leads about the prostitute. As a firefighter, he had to have known the fire might now cover up anything and even if it did, he would be the prime suspect because the vehicle was already missing at that point.

I hope they keep Robert Fisher on the FBI 10 most wanted until he's 100 years old. 20th anniversary coming up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allisonvsmith
Back