AZ - Sedona, Zaynab Joseph, 40, (visiting from California) fell off 140-foot cliff (now deceased) whilst hiking with her husband and toddler 4/15/24

Hi.

<modsnip: no source link>

How do we know what type of clothes she was wearing since someone on the thread asked if she was wearing a jilbab. Is it public information to know what was her attire?

This story is getting traction with a lot of press everyday. How can we get the latest updates from the investigation?

I'm new to this message board, but interested in the case, <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

<modsnip>

How do we know what type of clothes she was wearing since someone on the thread asked if she was wearing a jilbab. Is it public information to know what was her attire?

This story is getting traction with a lot of press everyday. How can we get the latest updates from the investigation?

I'm new to this message board, but interested in the case, <modsnip>

Welcome to Websleuths! You will likely get the latest updates right here, and gradually learn how to find them yourself

The Islamic Society of Orange County said on its Facebook page that a memorial with prayer would be held Friday evening at its Orange Crescent School in Garden Grove for “our dearest Ms. Joseph.”

The school lists Joseph as a 10th and 11th grade science teacher.

I just don't see a newish mother getting that close to the edge with her 1 year old along. But I guess whether accidental or not, she got too close to the edge either way.

I also find it odd they took a 1 year old on that long of a hike. I don't hike so maybe it's common?
Zaynab's FB Page - Log into Facebook

It appears she has other children too?

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
In doing some reading - it appears this was a tragic accident. Nothing more, nothing less.
My thoughts are with her husband, kids and all those who are mourning her death. She was highly respected and very loved in her community.

Do those carriers convert into diaper changers, because that seems like it would be an extra challenging task, not to mention feeding.

I've seen some that do, but we never used one so I don't know how good they are. We never went to places where we were more than a few minutes from a reasonable flat place to do the changes.

There would certainly be issues having a kid on a very rugged trail, but I don't think balance would normally be one of them for a reasonably fit person. Do we know for sure which parent was actually carrying the kid? I assume must have been the father, since the child doesn't seem to have been part of the accident?

Quite sad. Why would someone take a 1-year-old on a trail like that? That would be really difficult.
Yes, absolutely.

It reminds me of the case of Jonathan Gerrish and his wife Ellen Chung who took their 1 year old daughter and dog on a difficult hike in California when it was over 109°F (42°C) and were reported missing, and later all found deceased due to the extreme heat.

I've seen some that do, but we never used one so I don't know how good they are. We never went to places where we were more than a few minutes from a reasonable flat place to do the changes.

There would certainly be issues having a kid on a very rugged trail, but I don't think balance would normally be one of them for a reasonably fit person. Do we know for sure which parent was actually carrying the kid? I assume must have been the father, since the child doesn't seem to have been part of the accident?
But it sounds like this trail involves scrambling.

Yes, absolutely.

It reminds me of the case of Jonathan Gerrish and his wife Ellen Chung who took their 1 year old daughter and dog on a difficult hike in California when it was over 109°F (42°C) and were reported missing, and later all found deceased due to the extreme heat.

Yes, the Gerrish case was an extreme heat case combined with a lengthy strenuous hike, with long and laborious uphill on the return journey. No water, no emergency cell access, and no sun protection.
This case seems to be about balance and falling off a cliff. No issue this week about heat, except maybe depending on the day. Food and water not a factor, I surmise.

Last edited:
Do those carriers convert into diaper changers, because that seems like it would be an extra challenging task, not to mention feeding.
Some have an extra little skimpy mat, but actually, while changing a diaper in general can be challenging for many, it would take very little to implement a diaper change on a trail. You'd be more or less carrying the pieces anyway. You'd need something waterproof (I always carry an emergency blanket) for the ground; even a garbage bag would do, but you'd want a really big one. This ground coverage needs to be quite large, otherwise dirt will get into everything from the edges. Then, you'd need something soft on top of that.

IMO the more annoying challenge is carrying out the dirty diapers and related yucks.

Last edited:
Not just hiking?

Uh.....

I was gonna defend even a fairly steep hiking trail, but this sounds like bad judgement.
From the AllTrails, it seems like scrambling is involved. A woman with dogs says it wasn't possible to make the hike without letting her dogs off leash. Although there are some other comments about the trail—especially how quickly the various parties got it done—I think these are more a matter of competitiveness than an illustration of an easy trail. It's like the fastest wins or something. I suppose the bonus point is these parties got it done super quickly even though it's a super difficult trail.

Some have an extra little skimpy mat, but actually, while changing a diaper in general can be challenging for many, it would take very little to implement a diaper change on a trail. You'd be more or less carrying the pieces anyway. You'd need something waterproof (I always carry an emergency blanket) for the ground; even a garbage bag would do, but you'd want a really big one. This ground coverage needs to be quite large, otherwise dirt will get into everything from the edges. Then, you'd need something soft on top of that.

IMO the more annoying challenge is carrying out the dirty diapers and related yucks.

Yeah, exactly. The partner who's not carrying the child usually carries the daypack that includes the diaper stuff. We carried a kid-sized tarp for the bottom layer and a couple of those "incontinence pads" for the soft layer. Then we'd just roll the dirty diaper up in the pad and put the whole pad in a garbage bag. Our day pack had a separate compartment.

But that's mostly a convenience problem. It's not usually a safety issue, unlike the footing and balance. If you're trying to hike really fast, that would make it more dangerous, too.

Not just hiking?

Uh.....

I was gonna defend even a fairly steep hiking trail, but this sounds like bad judgement.
In fairness, they're not locals. So, it's possible they were misled or got bad advice from someone.

Of course if they did encounter conditions that were more difficult than expected they should have turned around. But we don't know if they even got to the scramble at the point that the fall occurred. It's certainly possible ZJ just had the rotten luck of taking a tumble in an unfortunate spot.

Until we learn more, I'm not ready to put them in the same category of irresponsible folks who take their kids on hikes in extreme heat or in blizzards when the trail isn't even visible.

In fairness, they're not locals. So, it's possible they were misled or got bad advice from someone.

Of course if they did encounter conditions that were more difficult than expected they should have turned around. But we don't know if they even got to the scramble at the point that the fall occurred. It's certainly possible ZJ just had the rotten luck of taking a tumble in an unfortunate spot.

Until we learn more, I'm not ready to put them in the same category of irresponsible folks who take their kids on hikes in extreme heat or in blizzards when the trail isn't even visible.

You're right, it could be and probably was a tragic accident. I'm just not quite as sure about that as I was a few hours ago.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

However, we don't have further info from LE as far as I can figure out, with no sign this was anything but an accident. And it's already been a week. I am open-minded about the possibilities.

Also, these may have been extremely skilled hikers...we just don't know.

I don't know if the Sheriff's department releases information to the public about the incident.

Since Zaynab Joseph is from Toledo, I hope the Toledo Blade does a thorough investigation.

<modsnip - no link to an approved source to statement of fact>

<modnsip - referenced posts were removed as the members were not able to provide a link>

Anyway, it looks like the couple have three young children. Awful tragedy for all involved. RIP Zaynab.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiRi224