AZ - Sedona, Zaynab Joseph, 40, (visiting from California) fell off 140-foot cliff (now deceased) whilst hiking with her husband and toddler 4/15/24

<modsnip - quoted post was not victim friendly>
It really depends. Most people who are hiking with such young children wear them; if one of them was, it was obviously dad given no injuries to the child have been reported. Also the ground wouldn’t have been flat; if you step on an incline or the side of a rock or loose gravel/dirt and lose balance, it is definitely possible to fall backwards (personal experience speaking there but I am admittedly a clumsier hiker than most :)). <modsnip - quoted post was removed>There have been A LOT of fall deaths from hiking trails, observation decks, etc. over the years; poor decisions, not being aware or fully appreciating the danger, getting too comfortable in your own ability, the mindset of “nothing will happen to ME”, the list goes on.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't see a newish mother getting that close to the edge with her 1 year old along. But I guess whether accidental or not, she got too close to the edge either way.

I also find it odd they took a 1 year old on that long of a hike. I don't hike so maybe it's common?
Respectfully, I have seen a lot of stupidity while hiking, and I hike frequently in Arizona. I have seen people carry their babies and let their dogs run off leash onto Devil's Bridge in Sedona (look it up) meanwhile I won't even take my seven year old twins on it, no matter how tight I hold their hands. I have seen people babywearing newborns, hiking cliffside with their leashed, running dogs in the Superstition Mountains. A few years ago, two teens hiked up to Flatiron, took a selfie on the edge of Flatiron, slipped and fell to their deaths, and they were supposedly experienced hikers. People hike up Camelback with their children, without water and need to be rescued every summer. Some people just don't have common sense and/or overestimate their safety in the elements. It is really concerning to see and it's always sad when things like this happen.

All of this speculation (or at least some of it) should be able to be avoided just by knowing if there were witnesses to her fall or not. Were they alone when she fell or were there other hikers who saw what happened? I seem to recall one of the early posts mentioning other hikers who were at the scene; seems like one hiked down to where she fell and maybe was even at her side when she took her last breath. Has anyone seen any witness remarks reported or anything of the sort?

Yes, the Gerrish case was an extreme heat case combined with a lengthy strenuous hike, with long and laborious uphill on the return journey. No water, no emergency cell access, and no sun protection.
This case seems to be about balance and falling off a cliff. No issue this week about heat, except maybe depending on the day. Food and water not a factor, I surmise.
Yes, although my comment was more to do with the similarities that in both cases they took a very young child on difficult long hikes. Even if they baby is carried on a backpack type carrier, it's added strain on an adult and still not fair on the child.

Based on video linked above ... I'm curious to see the area in more detail.

She was on the cliffs (image 5 below) <modsnip - no link to substantiate>

If someone has time and curiosity, please double check this location - thank you.

From the video:
View attachment 498543

View attachment 498559
Zoom
View attachment 498549

View attachment 498551
View attachment 498554
google earth
Wow! That looks like the steepest and highest place possible in the whole area to fall over the edge!

Last edited by a moderator:
True, many more mountain cliff deaths occur due to climbing mishap. Esther Dingley fell to her death in the Swiss Alps - might have been the weather.
Snipped for focus. Actually, on the Dingley case, the Spanish and French authorities stated overly worn, inappropriate footwear, no cleats as needed for the conditions, and inexperience.

Footwear and inexperience might actually be grounds for this accident, too. (Cleats are not a thing in this Arizona setting).

It sounds like an advanced skill hike that requires the right shoes. I'm curious whether her social media accounts portray her as an avid hiker on advanced trails.

"In a news release, the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office (YCSO) said it responded to a report that a woman, identified as Zaynab Joseph, had fallen down a 140-foot cliff on Bear Mountain in Sedona. The department said that a group of hikers heard yelling and learned the woman was seriously injured.

“While members of the group called 911, one hiked down the embankment and found that the victim was still breathing, but unfortunately, she passed away shortly after,” the YCSO said in its statement."

"With about 2,000 feet of elevation in just over 2 miles to a peak, Bear Mountain trail in Sedona is listed as hard on the AllTrails hiking app.

"It's a rugged trail," the site says. "Some sections are on pure rock at an almost vertical drop. Wear shoes with good traction!"

Recent hikers on the trail report having to do some rock scrambling and encountering "quite steep" conditions."

Until we learn more, I'm not ready to put them in the same category of irresponsible folks who take their kids on hikes in extreme heat or in blizzards when the trail isn't even visible.

IMO heat and the dangers on a trail, can be misjudged. People don't know what they don't know and it can be just a tragic mistake, not necessarily irresponsibility. For example, I recall a European family that got in trouble as tourists on a trail in the U.S. because even the hottest days they've ever experienced don't come close to that trail. They just didn't know how fast and severe the temperature could change over the course of the morning. I wonder if in this case, they just love hiking but had never been on a trail that comes close to this one before.

This is definitely not a beginner trail to do with a baby.
Thank you for the map!

I don't understand why they brought the baby, since they had child care for other children. There was no reason for the 9-12 month infant to be at the top of a cliff.

I'm curious whether Zaynab had proper shoes for the hike. Shoes have been mentioned in media as important for that hike.

Is she a regular "strenuous" level hiker? If so, and if the reason for the vacation was to hike, she must have had hiking shoes. As an experienced strenuous-level hiker, how could she fall? Or, was she not a strenuous-level hiker and found herself in an impossible situation where she fell off a 140 foot cliff?

same link

Attachments

• 1713849907383.png
    1713849907383.png
    176.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 1713850396387.png
    1713850396387.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 11
They must’ve been in very good physical condition and/or avid hikers to have attempted to complete Bear Mountain Trail with a 1-year-old (at least I hope so).

It is 4.6 miles, and it typically takes 4 1/2 to 5 hours to complete (with a huge/grueling elevation gain). Leashed dogs are allowed, but I wouldn’t take my dog on that trek.

Her tragic death is so sad any way one looks at it. No question. All MOO.

Looks like a very difficult, long and dangerous trail to hike with a 1 yo child. Saw one review where a parent took a 5 yo on what ended up being a 5.5 hour hike on that trail. Very sad, RIP.

Last edited:
Even the most experienced and fit high-level hiker can fall if they aren't careful with their footing or lose their balance from trying to grab something before it falls. Sometimes for silly reasons--I know somebody who went headfirst off a ledge trying to grab his lunch. Fortunately it was only about 10 feet tall and he wasn't seriously injured.

Even the most experienced and fit high-level hiker can fall if they aren't careful with their footing or lose their balance from trying to grab something before it falls. Sometimes for silly reasons--I know somebody who went headfirst off a ledge trying to grab his lunch. Fortunately it was only about 10 feet tall and he wasn't seriously injured.
That is no joke about falling over lunch? Years ago, I hiked Flatiron Mountain in Boulder but don't be impressed because I had to turn around and go back. The high altitude did me in big time. (1450' gain)

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/first-and-second-flatiron-loop

Do we know at what elevation gain the trail is in Sedona, AZ? TIA. Perhaps Zaynab became dizzy and light-headed or maybe not.

MOO

That is no joke about falling over lunch? Years ago, I hiked Flatiron Mountain in Boulder but don't be impressed because I had to turn around and go back. The high altitude did me in big time. (1450' gain)

Do we know at what elevation gain the trail is in Sedona, AZ? TIA. Perhaps Zaynab became dizzy and light-headed or maybe not.

MOO

That's a good point about possible effects of altitude. It can be nasty if you're not used to it.

MOO
“The strenuous hike to the top of the mountain is mostly unshaded, steep, and difficult in places. The trail ascends over 1,800 feet in elevation over the 2.3 mile hike to the top of Bear Mountain … “

“… Expect the 4.6 mile round-trip to take approximately 4.5 hours, but you can easily spend the entire day stopping to take pictures and enjoy the non-stop views. The total accumulated elevation gain is around 2,100 feet. Much of the trail is over tilted rock. Watch for white painted diamond-shaped markers to guide you across rock where the trail is indistinct.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbifedora
Back