AZ - Sedona, Zaynab Joseph, 40, (visiting from California) fell off 140-foot cliff (now deceased) whilst hiking with her husband and toddler 4/15/24

BenjaminJAndersonAlly

Verified Insider - Benjamin Anderson case
Reaction score
What an awful thing to happen. Dad is now the single parent to their one-year-old. Things back home, when they arrive, will be very different, IMO.
What a sad, sad situation, regardless of how it happened. And there is the husband/dad who has lost his loved one.
What a fall -- a 140-foot cliff. How could anyone come out of that alive?

They must’ve been in very good physical condition and/or avid hikers to have attempted to complete Bear Mountain Trail with a 1-year-old (at least I hope so).

It is 4.6 miles, and it typically takes 4 1/2 to 5 hours to complete (with a huge/grueling elevation gain). Leashed dogs are allowed, but I wouldn’t take my dog on that trek.

Her tragic death is so sad any way one looks at it. No question. All MOO.

Last edited:
They must’ve been in very good physical condition and/or avid hikers to have attempted to complete Bear Mountain Trail with a 1-year-old (at least I hope so).

It is 4.6 miles, and it typically takes 4 1/2 to 5 hours to complete (with a huge/grueling elevation gain). Leashed dogs are allowed, but I wouldn’t take my dog on that trek.

Look at the reviews at the linked page, from the day this happened.

Look at the reviews at the linked page, from the day this happened.

based on that one review, it looks like this happened on the 15th, not the 16th as per thread title
and this article confirms it (will alert mod to change title)

I just don't see a newish mother getting that close to the edge with her 1 year old along. But I guess whether accidental or not, she got too close to the edge either way.

I also find it odd they took a 1 year old on that long of a hike. I don't hike so maybe it's common?

based on that one review, it looks like this happened on the 15th, not the 16th as per thread title
and this article confirms it (will alert mod to change title)

Yes. Thank you. When this incident was initially reported, I saw no date listed in article so I just used the date of the article (assuming, incorrectly, it had most likely happened that same day). Sorry about the error.

Quite sad. Why would someone take a 1-year-old on a trail like that? That would be really difficult.

maybe they were just going to go part way ... description says: " However, the trail provides spectacular views the entire way, and offers many rewarding turn-around points for those who don't wish to tackle the entire hike."

People do put babies and toddlers in packs and hike with them...not sure how much the little boy weighed.

maybe they were just going to go part way ... description says: " However, the trail provides spectacular views the entire way, and offers many rewarding turn-around points for those who don't wish to tackle the entire hike."

People do put babies and toddlers in packs and hike with them...not sure how much the little boy weighed.
the hiking backpack carriers (and even many cloth baby carriers) offer really awesome weight distribution, so you don’t really notice you’re carrying a whole human on your back. I have a frame hiking backpack and even my niece at four or five felt like a slightly heavy backpack. my son was just under two when i got it and he felt like basically nothing in it. and a good fabric structured carrier with good support can be pretty much the same.

Quite sad. Why would someone take a 1-year-old on a trail like that? That would be really difficult.

Lots of people that love the outdoors want to share that with their children and starting a child's love for nature and the outdoors should begin when the parents think the time is right. Also new parents that love nature will probably feel better after taking a break from parenting ups and downs by getting out and enjoying fresh air as a new family. Unfortunately this adventure changed everything for this family. I hope this truly was a horrible accident and not murder.

Lots of people that love the outdoors want to share that with their children and starting a child's love for nature and the outdoors should begin when the parents think the time is right. Also new parents that love nature will probably feel better after taking a break from parenting ups and downs by getting out and enjoying fresh air as a new family. Unfortunately this adventure changed everything for this family. I hope this truly was a horrible accident and not murder.

I was one of those parents. But I wouldn't have taken a 1 year old on that trail.

I totally understand backpacks for hikers who wish to tote a child along. Did Zaynab hike the rocky area while wearing a jilbab? Maybe her foot stepped on the hem and made her trip? IDK just asking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekmtl
Back