AZ Supreme Court Ruling 4/9/24 which upholds 1864 law bans abortion in AZ (only exception to save life of the mother).

BenjaminJAndersonAlly

Verified Insider - Benjamin Anderson case
Reaction score

we're supposed to be evolving as a species
Indeed.

To give some perspective, Abraham Lincoln was president in 1864 (when this law originated). Civil War times…

I honestly could not believe AZSC voted 4 to 2 to revert back to this, imo, archaic law.

I am shocked and disappointed.

No exceptions for rape, incest, etc. :-(

This is why I do volunteer work for Planned Parenthood in my state. We provide education to citizens about the constant barriers to health care access for women.

This is a healthcare issue, between a woman and her medical provider.

If anyone knows of a location they are collecting signatures, pls advise.

I hope the # of signatures collected to get it on the ballot is record breaking.

I wouldn't be surprised. Arizona has a lot of elderly women, who are, in general fairly quiet as a political group. But, these women remember what it was like before Roe v. Wade. Their lives, their friends lives, were probably affected.

If they organize as a group for advocacy for women's health care access...I think many political leaders in Arizona will be very surprised.

It's telling of today's overall climate that when I first saw these headlines, I was less shocked and horrified, and more like "wow, well, OK, at least it technically includes "to save the life of the mother""...

Of course we'll just ignore the fact that merely being pregnant is a death sentence for plenty of women if they are involved with someone who is violent, and plenty of those women may have wanted/will want another option that does not involve them being murdered, especially if they have other children already (which they often do). A situation which, y'know, we see here on WS basically constantly.

protests being planned(by StandIndivisbleAZ for one) all over the state. Camelback/Scottsdale Road 4-6pm this Sunday. (@BenjaminJAndersonAlly and anyone else!)

This is why I do volunteer work for Planned Parenthood in my state. We provide education to citizens about the constant barriers to health care access for women.

This is a healthcare issue, between a woman and her medical provider.
Thank you for your volunteer work.

Are you aware of whether PP may possibly be collecting signatures at any of their AZ locations?

I tried to call to ask, but I could not get a live person at this time. Waiting for a call back. They must be inundated with calls at this time.

protests being planned(by StandIndivisbleAZ for one) all over the state. Camelback/Scottsdale Road 4-6pm this Sunday. (@BenjaminJAndersonAlly and anyone else!)

EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED! Thanks SO MUCH! ♥️

can sign petition at these planned demonstrations

I have marched for so many important causes IMO. I am over 50 and honestly did not think this would be a march we'd ever have to see.

ETA: Who am I kidding? After the fateful first term of the Rump, I knew this was coming. We had to know. This is all on him IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised. Arizona has a lot of elderly women, who are, in general fairly quiet as a political group. But, these women remember what it was like before Roe v. Wade. Their lives, their friends lives, were probably affected.

If they organize as a group for advocacy for women's health care access...I think many political leaders in Arizona will be very surprised.
I don't think very many politicians in AZ will be surprised. Maybe a few but if they are surprised they have not been paying attention.

Thank you for helping at PP!

Fantastic! I hope that there will be a gathering so large that people are heard.

As for my volunteer work, part of it, is a "mitzvah" for my Grandmother. She was so vocal about the rights of women, to have healthcare. And that includes all procedures. She remembered the dark days, before women had rights.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoxiannaWine
Back