Australia Betty Shanks, Wilston QLD, murdered 1952

wrestlingpigs

Reaction score
Betty Shanks, murdered walking home from the tram station one evening in 1952

Brisbane's longest-running cold case, the 1952 Betty Shanks murder at Wilston-Grange, appears to have finally run cold.

The savage strangling and bashing murder of the 22-year-old commonwealth public servant and student was a crime said to have stolen Brisbane's innocence.

Ms Shanks's body was found in the yard of a house in Thomas Street, Wilston. She had been strangled, kicked and bashed as she was walking from the tram to her family home in Montpelier Street.

Police have been able to recover ‘mystery DNA’ from the samples taken in 1952.

Who the murderer could be is one of the most hotly debated topics in Brisbane crime forums even nearly 70 years later…..

Sept. 18 2022
Article Image

''Screams, bloody body but no killer: New suspect in oldest cold case​

Betty Shanks was brutally murdered, with her bloodied body found in a Brisbane garden three blocks from her home. Now, cold case investigator Mike King has a new theory about what happened''

1663514963136.png
''Betty Shanks was brutally murdered 70 years ago. This book’s third edition reveals Betty’s secret life as documented in an ASIO file, which states that:

• Betty was in an ‘intimate association’ with a young married man who was a member of the Communist Party of Australia.
  • Betty’s best friend from schooldays at Brisbane Girls Grammar School and at the University of Queensland, Winifred Cowin, worked for ASIO before committing suicide in 1958.
  • An ASIO officer arrived in Brisbane on Sunday 21 September 1952 to recruit Betty, only to be told that she had been murdered the previous Friday night.
Ted Duhs alleges that Betty was killed by a man she met at the Grange tram terminus as she returned home from a night class at Brisbane’s Central Tech. This man, referred to as ‘the man in the brown suit’, was seen by four witnesses, including Marie Patton who is still alive. Minutes before Betty was attacked, Marie saw him 30 yards from the murder scene. Evidence suggests he was Eric Sterry. His daughter, Desche, is still alive, and in 1999 her story “My Dad Killed Betty Shanks” was published in The Courier Mail, after her earlier attempts to persuade the police were unsuccessful.''

Last edited:
Very lengthy article with lots more detail..

'She told me she had to go to the police or else her father would kill her, just like he killed Betty': Author claims he finally knows who committed brutal murder 62 years ago​

• Police found the naked body of Betty Shanks, 22, in a Queensland backyard in 1952
  • But the mystery of her murder has never been solved
  • Brisbane author Ted Duhs released a book titled 'I know who killed Betty Shanks' in September
  • The full story of the murder as told by Delcia Sterry, is now known by her maiden name of Desch Birtles
  • Birtles told Duhs that she believes it was her own father who killed Betty''
By CINDY TRAN and MAY SLATER FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
20 October 2014
''In Duhs' new book, ‘I know Who Killed Betty Shanks,’ the 70-year-old Desche Birtles reveals more of what happened on that dark night when Betty was killed a few yards from her family home.

Birtles told Duhs that she believes it was her own father, an abusive ex-soldier and ‘infatuated’ local locksmith, who killed Betty.

But police never believed her story when she visited the station eight times.

‘She told me how she saw her father naked, burning his clothes in the backyard of the family home the night Betty was killed - and how he made her scrub what she later realised was ‘blood and tissue’ from the soles of her father’s leather boots.’''

''Birtles claims she was sexually groomed by her father from an early age. and ran away from home to live with the nuns at Mater Hospital in Sydney after she had his baby.

When she left home in 1960 at the age of 16, Birtles went to the Fortitude Valley Police before her father would report her missing.

‘The police asked her why she wanted to leave home and she said, 'she has to or else her father would kill her, just like he killed Betty Shanks'.

‘They responded: “You shouldn’t say things like that about your father – we know him because he changes the locks at the cell here”.’
1663515387388.png
''Duhs told Daily Mail Australia: 'The photograph of Eric Sterry (pictured) in his brown suit matches almost exactly the descriptions by three eye witnesses who saw a man in a brown suit at The Grange tram terminus apparently waiting for a passenger to arrive on the Friday night that Betty was killed''

On Friday 19 September 1952, 22-year-old Betty Shanks was walking home from the Grange Tram Terminus in Brisbane when she was brutally slain just 300 metres from her front door.​

Who killed Betty Shanks?​

1. The doctor
2. The soldier
The police officer
The handyman

The paths of victim and predator​

Betty was dropped off at the Lutwyche road tram stop. Another woman arrived at the same stop shortly afterwards. They were the only two passengers to board the tram so it's unlikely she was followed from this stop.
Betty was last seen heading towards Thomas Street. With only 150-metres between the tram terminus and the location where she was found, there is a limited stretch where Betty could've crossed paths with her attacker.
Either she was followed from the terminus, or the killer was waiting to ambush her.
Seventeen-year-old Marie Patton caught the same tram as Betty that night and walked ahead of her along Thomas Street. She told police she didn't see or hear anyone along the way. Marie was only a minute or so ahead of Betty – if the attacker was lying in wait, they let Marie pass without incident.
The timing of the attack suggests Betty may have stopped to talk with somebody at the Terminus or along the street. The walk from the terminus to the location of the attack takes less than two minutes but it took seven or eight minutes for Betty to arrive. This leaves five or six minutes unaccounted for between departing the tram and her attack.
This theory may be supported by a witness who saw two people walking together down Thomas Street at approximately 9:36pm – minutes before Betty’s screams were heard by neighbours. The identities of the two people remain a mystery.
The location of blood splatter at the scene indicates the assault took place in the backyard, meaning the killer threw or pushed Betty over the fence and into the yard before assaulting her.
The killer removed her underwear but didn’t sexually assault Betty, indicating he may have been interrupted. A passenger from the following tram reported passing by the backyard at 9:53pm – this is approximately the time Betty is believed to have died and the killer was likely still in the yard.

………….

Despite the passage of time, decades-old cold cases – like the murder of Betty Shanks – can still be solved. Advancements in crime-fighting technology, and importantly, tips and information from the public, allow law enforcement to re-open investigations and hopefully find justice for the victim's families.

The case remains unsolved and Queensland Police Service are offering a $50,000 reward.

I had never read before that Betty’s underwear had been removed, which points to it being a sexually motivated crime.
I just wonder if it were a total stranger or someone who lived nearby, an acquaintance, and he took the opportunity that night to murder and assault Betty.
It was such a daring crime as it wasn’t that late at night, and she was murdered in someone’s backyard!
It’s one of those awful opportunistic crimes where the killer was incredibly lucky and poor Betty, not only was brutally murdered, she never received justice!

jmo

2023 update
My rapist dad killed his lover and got away with it - no one believes me

'HE KILLED HER'

I KNOW my rapist dad murdered his young lover 71 years ago and got away with it – I have evidence but no one believes me​

A PENSIONER who believes her dad murdered his lover more than 70 years ago hopes a DNA breakthrough will eventually solve the case.

Betty Shanks, 22, was brutally murdered in Brisbane on September 19, 1952 - just 300 metres from her front door.
The last photograph taken of Betty Shanks at her cousin's wedding
<modsnip - snipped for copyright, please see link>

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Betty was being stalked by someone who knew her routine and lied in wait for her. She ran into him getting off the train, and he waited for the other women to distance herself. I also believe the crime was sexually motivated because the killer removed her underwear. DNA and a thorough investigation could make a huge difference in solving this case. I hope one day the killer is identified by police to bring closure to her loved ones.

Definately, DNA genealogy will solve this cold case, it's just a matter of time and funds.

Definately, DNA genealogy will solve this cold case, it's just a matter of time and funds.
Advancements in science bring a lot of hope and new life to these cases. Genetic genealogy is so fascinating!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jazz1391
Back