CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Turpins only moved into the house in Perris in 2014. Although we don't know the amount of the down-payment, I think we can assume the house has a hefty mortgage on it. In most cases, if a mortgage payment isn't made a notice is sent out. At three months the mortgage company will likely send a strongly worded letter about being in arrears. At six months the lender is likely to foreclose.

BUT, I don't know what the law is in regards to a house where the grantees are arrested. Does the arrest of the grantees put the house in limbo until the court decides on the matter for which the grantees were arrested? Or, will the lender be able to go ahead and foreclose when there's no payment made after 6 months?

No one is going to wait for their money.

Just a thought....

I keep going over why it took two years of planning for the escape to happen, is there a chance that the brave girl that did escape was chained up for two years and as soon as she was released she took a chance? It might be far fetched but something that I keep coming back to. I hope that is not the case but I really wouldn't doubt it with these monsters.

Well they said they weren't released from their chains for days or even months. They didn't state Years.

I’m in the UK and not familiar with these screens. What is the purpose of them and why can’t it just be moved out of the way like a curtain?

Also, I notice in the Disney/eeyore photo the older boy is wearing a wristwatch, I’m wondering why he would be given one? Has this been discussed already? I’m getting lost in these fast moving threads

The screens are in a frame like a window. They are made of either aluminum mesh or a nylon mesh. Their purpose is to allow air in but to prevent bugs from getting in. The frame that the screen is in can be lifted out, but evidently the children either didn't know how to to lift it out or was concerned about making any additional noises. They opted for the quickest method of making a hole in the screen and a quick escape.

Vmking. Can you help with the link to the article about the woman who was imprisoned by her parents? It appears it's not allowed but if you tell us what word goes in where the stars appear I can look it up on my own.

http://people.com/crime/police-reve...e-where-her-siblings-were-allegedly-tortured/

The neighbor brings up a good point in the last paragraph.

She praises the daughter that escapes. She admits feeling things were not right in the Turpin house, but she says even if the neighbors said something it might have taken months of investigation. (Maybe.)

Which, we know would have just caused the Turpins to disappear. :(

I think it’s likely the planning for 2 years was a guess....doubt they knew which month it was or even day of the week

The Turpins only moved into the house in Perris in 2014. Although we don't know the amount of the down-payment, I think we can assume the house has a hefty mortgage on it. In most cases, if a mortgage payment isn't made a notice is sent out. At three months the mortgage company will likely send a strongly worded letter about being in arrears. At six months the lender is likely to foreclose.

BUT, I don't know what the law is in regards to a house where the grantees are arrested. Does the arrest of the grantees put the house in limbo until the court decides on the matter for which the grantees were arrested? Or, will the lender be able to go ahead and foreclose when there's no payment made after 6 months?

They put down $6500 appx., pd 351,000. I don't believe there is a mtge clause for extenuating circumstances (jail).

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet. I don't remember reading about the "circumstantial evidence" mentioned by the DA.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01...use-of-horrors-in-perris-family-torture-case/

Authorities have described the home as dark and foul-smelling.

“Circumstantial evidence in the house suggests that the victims were often not released from their chains to go to their bathroom,” District Attorney Mike Hestrin has said.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes and I think it is dark because other than the back facing windows, the windows were boarded up. The tabloids have taken pictures of what you could see in the windows from the back and posted the photos in various publications.

I would think they could have just as easily snapped photos inside from the windows where the children were held and published them as well either by walking on the property. The front window is only a few feet from the street after all. So I think that it is possible that the reason investigators say the house was dark is because the windows were blackened with some material to hide what was going on inside, covered with some sort of contact paper that obscured the view and/or were boarded up.

There must be some reason why the tabloids have only published photos of what can be viewed from the back windows. Also I had a neighbor a few years ago that put contact paper on windows to obscure from the street what was going on in the house.

Seriously, I am now confused. Does the UK not have mosquitoes? I never paid attention to whether or not there were screens when I visited Ireland.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have never seen these screens before, except on TV. We get the odd fly or wasp or Daddy Long Legs, but I dont know anyone with a screen. Plus there are omly really a few days of the year where you would have your wondow open anyway haha!

<snip>

I can believe they had the windows boarded, but in that neighborhood wouldn&#8217;t people notice? A boarded up window house would bring your property values down if you wanted to sell. I mean a neighbor who wanted to sell.

I think people would definitely notice. Idk about that neighborhood, but many places would fine owners for it being an eyesore (if boarded for an extended period of time, not temporary while awaiting a repair). And as they had to re-sod because people were getting fined for unkempt lawns I would be surprised if they'd allow boarded windows to go without being cited.

I do think room darkening shades are a strong possibility. Given their practice of being up all night and sleeping during the day it would make sense, and also help hide the abuse from neighbors and passers by.

IMO boarded up windows would draw attention to the house, the exact opposite of what the monsters would have wanted.

From what I know about model homes is that the developers have all the windows alarmed so that if you open them an alarm goes off. They have sensors on the windows. If the Turpin parents continued to have a security service, opening a window would have triggered an alarm.

I think that at some point more details of the escape will become public. Given it took 2 years of planning, it is possible the 17 year old had to make a tool herself to cut the screen. Because the Turpins had once used rope to tie up the children and then had moved to shackles and padlocks, I doubt the captive children and adults had access to any tools that could cut.

Also regarding the shackles and padlocks and chains, hopefully the law enforcement personnel can track down when the Turpins started purchasing these items. I hope they use credit cards. They may have bought this online and had handcuffs and leg irons and all sorts of awful materials. It is also possible that the Turpins had listening devices in all of the bedrooms that the children were kept prisoner in so that they overheard everything that was said.

In this day and age everyone has had a baby monitor and many opted to keep them and use in their home when a member of the family is sick. When my husband was recovering from back surgery, I could be outside doing some gardening and he could request his lunch by simply saying he was ready for lunch.

I think people would definitely notice. Idk about that neighborhood, but many places would fine owners for it being an eyesore (if boarded for an extended period of time, not temporary while awaiting a repair). And as they had to re-sod because people were getting fined for unkempt lawns I would be surprised if they'd allow boarded windows to go without being cited.

I do think room darkening shades are a strong possibility. Given their practice of being up all night and sleeping during the day it would make sense, and also help hide the abuse from neighbors and passers by.

IMO boarded up windows would draw attention to the house, the exact opposite of what the monsters would have wanted.

I looked and there is no HOA. The Star was hanging in the front window for over 2 years. They could have put a black back drop behind the Star, the boards behind the black back drop.

If anyone would have complained about this, since there is no HOA in the development then there would be a record of someone calling the city's code enforcement department and sending out "code enforcement" from the Planning Department of the city of Perris. Since most people in the general public do not even know California cities have "code enforcement officers" in the first place, then it would have to take a person to know that code enforcement officers exist to know to make the call.

Also as a private school, there are no fire inspections. The press that is reporting that fire inspections are required is incorrect. They may be getting confused with "Small Family Child Care Homes" which are allowed in residential neighborhoods throughout the state of California and which do require a fire inspection by the local fire department.

I am having so many thoughts on this case! The emotional impact is stunning! I have some general questions:

1.) Do you think that there should be a trial? Or should a plea bargain be arranged to avoid a trial? In this case, the parents could plead guilty to the worst charges and probably be sent to prison for life. Remember right now, both have pleaded Not Guilty to everything. As much as I would love to hear the kids testify against their parents for what the children have gone through, I think a trial may be too traumatic for them.

2.) Do you think there WILL be a trial?

3.) Do you think the outcome of a trail will be guilty as charged? Not guilty by reason of insanity? or a hung jury?

Satch

Going back to the fact that they bought it in 2014, I'm really curious about the general condition of the house inside. That's not a lot if time to tear it up.

My screens lift out easily too, but the two tabs at the bottom of the frame are on the other side. It's so you can remove it to wash the outside of the windows. These tabs not only lift the frame up out of the slot, but also pulls up a little spring that holds them in place. Trying to remove/pry out the screen/frame from inside with the springs still in place results in scraped knuckles and a bent frame.

I posted the info re the screens because they are so easy to remove unless they have a kind I am not familiar with.

I wonder if this is a room they normally were not allowed to be in.

I can believe they had the windows boarded, but in that neighborhood wouldn’t people notice? A boarded up window house would bring your property values down if you wanted to sell. I mean a neighbor who wanted to sell.
You just made me examine my screens. We had new windows installed in 2014, so they would be the same age as these, although they come in many kinds, I'm sure. The spline on these would be easy to remove, but you would have to know that's how they were attached.

I cannot figure out, however, just by looking at them, how to remove them. The ones at my old house had tabs to grab. I don't see that here. So it would probably take me making some noise to figure out how to remove them.

These kids probably decided to cut them because it was the one sure-fire way to do it, while making the least amount of noise.

I am having so many thoughts on this case! The emotional impact is stunning! I have some general questions:

1.) Do you think that there should be a trial? Or should a plea bargain be arranged to avoid a trial? In this case, the parents could plead guilty to the worst charges and probably be sent to prison for life. Remember right now, both have pleaded Not Guilty to everything. As much as I would love to hear the kids testify against their parents for what the children have gone through, I think a trial may be too traumatic for them.

2.) Do you think there WILL be a trial?

3.) Do you think the outcome of a trail will be guilty as charged? Not guilty by reason of insanity? or a hung jury?

Satch

I think that in the past experience with captivity/torture charges in California recently (which involved Tracy CA and a boy held for 18 months), then there will be a trial, but at the end it is possible that there will a plea deal offered to sentence the monsters to 30 years or so in prison vs life in prison in exchange for dropping the torture charges. At least that is what happened recently in California. See the San Jose Mercury News article here for more details - https://www.mercurynews.com/2010/12...d-captive-in-tracy-home-for-more-than-a-year/

But the Turpins will probably not agree to it and then they will be put away for life.

Vmking. Can you help with the link to the article about the woman who was imprisoned by her parents? It appears it's not allowed but if you tell us what word goes in where the stars appear I can look it up on my own.
She wrote a book that was much talked about last December, called The Only Girl in the World. Her name is Maude Julien. Here's another article on her.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/26/dozens-of-baboons-break-out-of-zoo-enclosure/

Her blog site is under mamamia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics