CA - 61 struck with heat exhaustion at Placentia Heritage Parade

Meanwhile, it's 7 degrees cooler here in the desert, 120 miles east of Placentia. Climate change, anyone? (Just kidding. I realize local conditions on any given day prove nothing.)

Since it's getting hotter in so many places, however, the following can't be said too often:

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. By the time you feel thirsty, you may already be suffering from heat exhaustion. They used to say clear liquids (water, juices) were better than dark liquids (coffee, tea), but last month's RD says that is a myth. Coffee is certainly better than nothing.

If you feel the symptoms of heat exhaustion (flu-like aches and pains, nausea, etc.), go to the ER or Urgent Care Center. Continue to hydrate if you can hold liquids down, but don't assume a glass of water will solve the problem once the symptoms have begun. MAKE SURE SOMEONE GOES WITH YOU. Delirium and, in extreme cases, unconsciousness are symptoms of heat exhaustion.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am not a doctor or medical professional of any kind. I just happen to live in an area where we hear a lot on this subject. Even so, we personally have had a couple of workers (a plumber, a yardman) who had to be rushed to the ER even though we were supplying unlimited water. A friend drove out from LA (2 hours) with her car windows down; she was perfectly comfortable with the breeze from the open window, but of course it was sapping the moisture right out of her. By the time she arrived, she was very, very sick.

BTW, I am not blaming the victims in Placentia. The coastal areas of California are kept cooler by their nearness to the ocean. Even though Placentia isn't right on the ocean, I'm sure ocean breezes keep the temperature relatively mild; 105 is probably very unusual.

If you feel the symptoms of heat exhaustion (flu-like aches and pains, nausea, etc.), go to the ER or Urgent Care Center. Continue to hydrate if you can hold liquids down, but don't assume a glass of water will solve the problem once the symptoms have begun. MAKE SURE SOMEONE GOES WITH YOU. Delirium and, in extreme cases, unconsciousness are symptoms of heat exhaustion.

An interim step between "starting to not feel well" and "rush to the ER" is a cool shower or hose (avoid an ice bath, that constricts blood vessels). Works for dogs too.

Treatment for Heat Exhaustion

If you, or anyone else, has symptoms of heat exhaustion, it's essential to immediately get out of the heat and rest, preferably in an air-conditioned room. If you can't get inside, try to find the nearest cool and shady place.

Other recommended strategies include:
  • Drink plenty of fluid (avoid caffeine and alcohol).
  • Remove any tight or unnecessary clothing.
  • Take a cool shower, bath, or sponge bath.
  • Apply other cooling measures such as fans or ice towels.

If such measures fail to provide relief within 15 minutes, seek emergency medical help, because untreated heat exhaustion can progress to heat stroke.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/heat-exhaustion

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johandev
Back