Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont disagree with you but for me its not just one thing standing alone. There are several curious points IMO.

In most cases you could probably write a list of things that seem "off" however they turn out.

I wont make a list here and go over all that old ground again because we are all familiar with the points we have debated and I think we are simply seeing them differently.
When I take my dog to the veterinarian, who I really like, the front desk person is really annoying and I am very curt with her. Maybe Barb didn't like the person. Maybe she hadn't had coffee yet. Why assume she wasn't getting along with RT?

When I take my dog to the veterinarian, who I really like, the front desk person is really annoying and I am very curt with her. Maybe Barb didn't like the person. Maybe she hadn't had coffee yet. Why assume she wasn't getting along with RT?
Excellent point and post. You are right. We don't know Rob and didn't know Barb. For all we know she wasn't a morning person.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I agree that it is personal choice. Did they usually take her along?

I know several retired couple who bought RVs so they would have the ability to take their dogs with them when they traveled.

I don't know the answer to your question.

I have read about people who lie and say that their dog is a service animal in order to take them everywhere they go.

So there are people who have to take their pet everywhere and there are ones that don't. I have no idea where the Thomas's land. JMO

Indeed,,,we don't know Barbara personally....

That is true

My favorite descriptions and stories about Barbara came from @dbdb11, our verified family member, and from her son

"[MS], Thomas' only child who lives in Lafayette, Indiana, said his mom was great at cheering people up. He added that his two children called her "Grandma Barbie," and that she was given the nickname because of her beauty."

"Mom liked Collies and Himalayan cats, a very outgoing personality — loved to dance and cook," he said."

"My mother and I were close. ... (We) spoke on the phone often (and) she loved my children, Christopher,13, and Natalie, 11..."

Family members of Barbara Thomas suspect foul play in disappearance
Family members of Barbara Thomas suspect foul play in disappearance
(Behind a paywall - I accessed it by typing the article title into Google Chrome incognito tab)

Lafayette man's mother still missing after hiking in the Mojave Desert with husband
Lafayette man's mother still missing after hiking in the Mojave Desert with husband

Bizarre is used loosely. Actions that appeared as if he went on with life so very quickly. All posted here very early on. Too quickly, but maybe that’s how he just was? Maybe it was truly just tragic walking off without water and losing her way back. It happens often enough.
Considering members of BT's own immediate family where/likely still asking questions, I see no reason a websleuthing community with no released cause of death or location of remains given, would be satisified with making assumptions on what happened.
Not satisfactory for this websleuther anyway.
Sadly though I suspect the findings are going to leave us asking all the same questions.

moo

Considering members of BT's own immediate family where/likely still asking questions, I see no reason a websleuthing community with no released cause of death or location of remains given, would be satisified with making assumptions on what happened.
Not satisfactory for this websleuther anyway.
Sadly though I suspect the findings are going to leave us asking all the same questions.

moo

Are the assumptions you are talking about being posted here on WS? If so can you clarify? Thanks.

IIRC, that was a new RV? Why risk the pup chewing or relieving itself in a new rig. I would have done the same, but as Ranch points out it is personal choice.

Amateur opinion and speculation
I am on my second sheltie in life. They do well in snow and love it but their coat is too much to withstand the high temperatures even without humidity. I too would be reluctant to leave one in an RV even with two generators. Things go wrong and sheepdogs definitely could not withstand the heat. IMO

I am on my second sheltie in life. They do well in snow and love it but their coat is too much to withstand the high temperatures even without humidity. I too would be reluctant to leave one in an RV even with two generators. Things go wrong and sheepdogs definitely could not withstand the heat. IMO

Agreed. I think they were responsible dog owners by not bringing the dog out in that heat. Like you, I’m not leaving my dog in a RV, alone, at a turnout while I adventure. IIRC, they used this particular kennel in the past. It was not something new. I’m not saying for sure that’s the reason the dog didn’t go on this trip, but it’s possible. IMO

Agreed. I think they were responsible dog owners by not bringing the dog out in that heat. Like you, I’m not leaving my dog in a RV, alone, at a turnout while I adventure. IIRC, they used this particular kennel in the past. It was not something new. I’m not saying for sure that’s the reason the dog didn’t go on this trip, but it’s possible. IMO
Heat aside, I'm not sure I'd be very relaxed about taking my dog where all those cholla and cacti are shedding nasty thorns. Dogs are inquisitive creatures and I could see it all ending up with injured paws or noses.

I feel the reason why people are troubled about all this is simple. It's because so little is known. It's all gaps. And people are projecting into the gaps all sorts of things that may not have been there at all.

To take one thing - Barbara's mood at the kennels. If she was cross, irritable or unhappy - and we don't really know as there's only one person's impression, and I don't think we even have a first-hand account .... Anyway there could be a hundred and one reasons behind it, and it might have been nothing to do with the dog, the husband or the outing. Yesterday I got a credit card statement in the post and it had a large payment on it that I'd clean forgotten about, and that put me into a low mood every time I thought of it because I thought the money had been taken already. You know? There are all sorts of things that get us down. Or maybe she just had a headache.

Thank you for this post, Cherwell. It pretty much sums up what I think about this case. The reality is that we know very little about RT and BT and what was going on that day. We have discussed the things we know about and speculated about what we don't know.

We know they left the dog at the kennel, drove to the Mojave National Preserve, and parked their truck and 5th wheel in a pullover area where Hidden Hill Roads meets Kelbaker Road. According to RT, they went for a walk to look at rock formations and take photos. RT said that toward the end of the walk, Barbara went on ahead but when he got to the RV, she wasn't there. He looked for her, then called 911 and LE came to his location.

A search was begun that same day and continued for more than a week. RT was interviewed by a media outlet and we have heard some but maybe not all of the interview. We know from the VI that RT called the VI's father a few days after she disappeared to tell them the news that Barbara was missing. The VI's sister listened to the call and later sent him a text with her recollections of what RT said.

And of course, we know Barbara's remains were found off Kelbaker Road. RIP, lovely lady.

ETA: MOO

Also I am a little confused on the post regarding Barbara’s son stating she loved Collies and Himalayans. IIRC it has clearly been stated that their dog is a Shetland Sheepdog also known as a sheltie. For me that’s a big discrepancy with a huge question mark. IMO
Eta unable to quote the post at this moment. Sorry!

Also I am a little confused on the post regarding Barbara’s son stating she loved Collies and Himalayans. IIRC it has clearly been stated that their dog is a Shetland Sheepdog also known as a sheltie. For me that’s a big discrepancy with a huge question mark.
A Shetland sheepdog is like a miniature collie, so I don't see any discrepancy.

A Shetland sheepdog is a miniature collie, so I don't see any discrepancy.
Although a Sheltie may look like a miniature Collie their breeds are not even close. I guess my point is that my 21 year old son would never tell someone I loved Collies when we’ve only owned Shelties in his lifetime nor would he misspeak that I love Himalayans while we always served Calicos. We might love them all but hopefully we all know which breeds and varieties we favor and/or own. Why didn’t he know the correct breed of dog his mom owned? IMO

Although a Sheltie may look like a miniature Collie their breeds are not even close. I guess my point is that my 21 year old son would never tell someone I loved Collies when we’ve only owned Shelties in his lifetime nor would he misspeak that I love Himalayans while we always served Calicos. We might love them all but hopefully we all know which breeds and varieties we favor and/or own. Why didn’t he know the correct breed of dog his mom owned? IMO
What is the point of this discrepancy? Does it have anything to do with Barbara's disappearance and death?

I don't know why that would be significant in any way. We don't know how close they were, or how knowledgeable this man is about dogs.
I have had both greyhounds and whippets, they are not the same breed but I love both. I don't think it odd that someone who loves collies would also love a Sheltie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125