Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #8 *Arrest*

I don't know if this is a mistake but they show the jury trial was in session on Friday (when I checked Friday afternoon it didn't show as scheduled).

Scheduled Hearings
DateTimeHearing Type - ReasonCourtroom
04/23/202409:00 AMJury Trial -C30
05/03/202410:00 AMHearing Evidential Proceeding [Evidence Code 402]C30

Heard Hearings
DateTimeHearing Type - ReasonCourtroomHearing Status
04/19/202409:30 AMHearing -C30Heard
04/19/202409:30 AMJury Trial -C30Heard
04/22/202409:00 AMJury Trial -C30Heard

www.occourts.org/online-services/case-access/criminal-traffic-cases (Case #18HF0073)

Okay - I have corrected my notes for Friday. And not finding any articles after 4/12/24 over here. :(

Tuesday, April 23rd:
*Trial continues (Day 10) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Blaze Bernstein (19) (Jan. 2, 2018, Lake Forest; found Jan. 9, 2018; he was stabbed 19 times in his neck; 14 times on the left, 5 on the right & 1 stab wound in his left knee) – *Samuel Lincoln Woodward (20/now 26) arrested (1/15/18) & charged (1/17/18) & arraigned (11/9/18) with 1 count of felony murder with a hate crime enhancement for killing someone because of their sexual orientation & sentencing enhancement-personal use of a knife. Plead not guilty (again on 11/9/18). $5M bail, bail revoked (11/9/18). In custody of the Theo Lacy jail.
Trial began on 4/9/24. Court DARK on Fridays.
Judge Kimberly K. Menninger presiding. Prosecutor DA Todd Spitzer & Senior Deputy DA Jennifer Walke; Defense attorney assistant public defender Kenneth S. Morrison (from the Orange County Public Defender’s Office).

Court hearings from 2/2/18 thru 2/29/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-14 (3/6 thru 4/4/24) & Trial Day 1-7 (4/9-4/18/24) reference post #300 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ake-forest-2-jan-2018-8-arrest.618349/page-15

4/19/24 Friday, Trial Day 8: Hearing & jury trial continues. Trial continues on Monday, 4/22/24.
4/22/24 Monday, Trial Day 9: State witness: No info available. Trial continues on Tuesday, 4/23/24. An evidential proceeding hearing on 5/3/24 @ 10am.

Last edited:
I remember when this case way back when Blaze was first killed. Such a ridiculous meaningless crime. Can’t understand why there are not more reporters reporting on this trial and there are few (very limited) articles unless one chooses to subscribe. So sorry for what Blaze’s parents have dealt with all these years and their pain I can’t imagine will ever heal. moo :(

The words, from the victim’s father, won’t appear in the courtroom transcript. The judge struck them from the record. He said they didn’t answer to the question the defense attorney put to Gideon Bernstein — whether his son wore a yarmulke. But with Bernstein’s remark, a second front in the courtroom showdown opened: Was his son, whom the prosecution claims was stabbed to death because he was gay, also a victim of antisemitism?

The answer could have legal ramifications. Woodward, 26, has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder and committing a hate crime. A guilty verdict on the latter would mean a sentence of life without the possibility of parole. And the prosecution only needs to prove one category of hate was a factor.

More at link...

April 16, 2024

I remember when this case way back when Blaze was first killed. Such a ridiculous meaningless crime. Can’t understand why there are not more reporters reporting on this trial and there are few (very limited) articles unless one chooses to subscribe. So sorry for what Blaze’s parents have dealt with all these years and their pain I can’t imagine will ever heal. moo :(

The words, from the victim’s father, won’t appear in the courtroom transcript. The judge struck them from the record. He said they didn’t answer to the question the defense attorney put to Gideon Bernstein — whether his son wore a yarmulke. But with Bernstein’s remark, a second front in the courtroom showdown opened: Was his son, whom the prosecution claims was stabbed to death because he was gay, also a victim of antisemitism?

The answer could have legal ramifications. Woodward, 26, has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder and committing a hate crime. A guilty verdict on the latter would mean a sentence of life without the possibility of parole. And the prosecution only needs to prove one category of hate was a factor.

More at link...

April 16, 2024
Has the prosecution alleged alleged that Blaze was targeted because he was Jewish? Honestly it has been so long since this was charged I've lost some of this. What exactly are the charges at this point?

Has the prosecution alleged alleged that Blaze was targeted because he was Jewish? Honestly it has been so long since this was charged I've lost some of this. What exactly are the charges at this point?
per my notes:

charged (1/17/18) & arraigned (11/9/18) with 1 count of felony murder with a hate crime enhancement for killing someone because of their sexual orientation & sentencing enhancement-personal use of a knife.

per my notes:

charged (1/17/18) & arraigned (11/9/18) with 1 count of felony murder with a hate crime enhancement for killing someone because of their sexual orientation & sentencing enhancement-personal use of a knife.
Ok, so that is what I remember, the hate crime designation was due to the sexual orientation and not Blaze being Jewish. So the Court would be correct to limit assertions to the victim's religious affiliation, as crazy as that sounds. In today's hyper charged atmosphere, that probably isn't going to sit too well.

Ok, so that is what I remember, the hate crime designation was due to the sexual orientation and not Blaze being Jewish. So the Court would be correct to limit assertions to the victim's religious affiliation, as crazy as that sounds. In today's hyper charged atmosphere, that probably isn't going to sit too well.
What does this have to do with Blaze who was murdered 6 years ago? I assume you think they shouldn't bring up his sexual orientation either because of the new wave of anti-gay hate DeSantis created. I don't understand your point of bringing this up. Also, the jury was created during recent events in the Middle East.

What does this have to do with Blaze who was murdered 6 years ago? I assume you think they shouldn't bring up his sexual orientation either because of the new wave of anti-gay hate DeSantis created. I don't understand your point of bringing this up. Also, the jury was created during recent events in the Middle East.
I didn't mean to upset you. I was discussing the Judge's comments apparently regarding Blaze's faith and how that fits in. Why on earth would you think I am suggesting his sexual orientation shouldn't be brought up? It is a central part of the case.

I didn't mean to upset you. I was discussing the Judge's comments apparently regarding Blaze's faith and how that fits in. Why on earth would you think I am suggesting his sexual orientation shouldn't be brought up? It is a central part of the case.
Well, that's exactly my point. If you read any recent articles on the case you would know the prosecution is attempting to shine light on Blaze's Jewish background while the defendant's attorney is asking silly questions like "Did he wear a yarmulke [tho] ?" and getting the response he did from Blaze's father Gideon. The prosecution wants to highlight his Jewish identity when they begin to talk about his "diary of hate" writings, involvement with AW, and much more evidence I'm sure they have such as 2 from the group who will be called as witnesses. The prosecution basically wants to make it easier to nail Woodward although it's being prosecuted as a gay hate crime.

You're here asking a few posts ago "What exactly are the charges". I think it's ridiculous to say that the jury would have negative feelings towards Jewish people based on the Israel/Palestine situation which began all the way back in October. Blaze was murdered in 2018. My point in saying "I assume you think they shouldn't bring up his sexual orientation either because of the new wave of anti-gay hate DeSantis created," meant there's just as much hate to go around in regards to LGBT and Jewish people in this political climate. I'm sure the jury was screened thoroughly. So that's why I thought your post was silly since you said, " In today's hyper charged atmosphere, that probably isn't going to sit too well." If anything in Orange County I would say there is much more support for Jewish people and Israel based on its large conservative republican demographic. If anything, his sexual orientation would be a bigger problem if the jury was selected from OC without diligence.

Last edited:
Wednesday, April 24th:
*Trial continues (Day 11) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Blaze Bernstein (19) (Jan. 2, 2018, Lake Forest; found Jan. 9, 2018; he was stabbed 19 times in his neck; 14 times on the left, 5 on the right & 1 stab wound in his left knee) – *Samuel Lincoln Woodward (20/now 26) arrested (1/15/18) & charged (1/17/18) & arraigned (11/9/18) with 1 count of felony murder with a hate crime enhancement for killing someone because of their sexual orientation & sentencing enhancement-personal use of a knife. Plead not guilty (again on 11/9/18). $5M bail, bail revoked (11/9/18). In custody of the Theo Lacy jail.
Trial began on 4/9/24. Court DARK on Fridays.
Judge Kimberly K. Menninger presiding. Prosecutor DA Todd Spitzer & Senior Deputy DA Jennifer Walke; Defense attorney assistant public defender Kenneth S. Morrison (from the Orange County Public Defender’s Office).

Court hearings from 2/2/18 thru 2/29/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-14 (3/6 thru 4/4/24) & Trial Day 1-8 (4/9-4/19/24) reference post #302 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ake-forest-2-jan-2018-8-arrest.618349/page-16

4/22/24 Monday, Trial Day 9: State witness: No info available. Trial continues on Tuesday, 4/23/24.
4/23/24 Tuesday, Trial Day 10: State witness: No info available. Trial continues on Wednesday, 4/24/24.

Well, that's exactly my point. If you read any recent articles on the case you would know the prosecution is attempting to shine light on Blaze's Jewish background while the defendant's attorney is asking silly questions like "Did he wear a yarmulke [tho] ?" and getting the response he did from Blaze's father Gideon. The prosecution wants to highlight his Jewish identity when they begin to talk about his "diary of hate" writings, involvement with AW, and much more evidence I'm sure they have such as 2 from the group who will be called as witnesses. The prosecution basically wants to make it easier to nail Woodward although it's being prosecuted as a gay hate crime.

You're here asking a few posts ago "What exactly are the charges". I think it's ridiculous to say that the jury would have negative feelings towards Jewish people based on the Israel/Palestine situation which began all the way back in October. Blaze was murdered in 2018. My point in saying "I assume you think they shouldn't bring up his sexual orientation either because of the new wave of anti-gay hate DeSantis created," meant there's just as much hate to go around in regards to LGBT and Jewish people in this political climate. I'm sure the jury was screened thoroughly. So that's why I thought your post was silly since you said, " In today's hyper charged atmosphere, that probably isn't going to sit too well." If anything in Orange County I would say there is much more support for Jewish people and Israel based on its large conservative republican demographic. If anything, his sexual orientation would be a bigger problem if the jury was selected from OC without diligence.
I think you have COMPLETELY missed my point. But I 'm not going to drag the thread down discussing it.
I sincerely hope there is a conviction here, but I am bothered by the prosecution's handling of this case so far.

Interesting -- it looks like the trial is on hold for a week? Hopefully this is something planned (due to scheduling or maybe the Jewish holiday of Passover) and not indicative of an issue with the trial itself. I can't find any new articles so who knows.

Scheduled Hearings
05/01/202409:30 AMJury Trial -C30

Heard Hearings
04/24/202409:00 AMJury Trial -C30Heard

What do you mean by selecting the jury in OC without diligence?

Interesting -- it looks like the trial is on hold for a week? Hopefully this is something planned (due to scheduling or maybe the Jewish holiday of Passover) and not indicative of an issue with the trial itself. I can't find any new articles so who knows.

Scheduled Hearings
05/01/202409:30 AMJury Trial -C30

Heard Hearings
04/24/202409:00 AMJury Trial -C30Heard

Hopefully just the for Passover - and nothing to with the trial itself - I agree! And I too am not finding any articles past 4/16.....

I think you have COMPLETELY missed my point. But I 'm not going to drag the thread down discussing it.
I sincerely hope there is a conviction here, but I am bothered by the prosecution's handling of this case so far.
I think it's weird for you to pop up on this thread after claiming not to have followed up on this since it happened, ask "what are the charges", and claim you're concerned about the jury based on things that have been discussed in court but I guess I'm the only one reading every single article on this case so I guess it makes sense why you did what you did.

I think it's weird for you to pop up on this thread after claiming not to have followed up on this since it happened, ask "what are the charges", and claim you're concerned about the jury based on things that have been discussed in court but I guess I'm the only one reading every single article on this case so I guess it makes sense why you did what you did.
I don't know why you have problem with me. Sorry if I offended you by asking a question. I asked about the charges because I couldn't remember if part of the hate charge was for Blaze being Jewish or just gay. I understand the charges did not include reference to Blaze being Jewish. Thus, for the prosecution to continue to raise testimony to that fact is possibly improper, and just as we saw in the Harvey Weinstein mess, a means to overturn a conviction. No one wants to see that.

What articles have you read about the case? Can you please link them? This is the most gag order case I’ve ever witnessed. When it first happened the DA sounded so enthusiastic about getting justice for Blaze. It’s been disappointing for how long it has taken and virtually no information has been available.

@PrairieWind may not have been keeping up with the thread but she is ahead of the game because she is an attorney. I don’t know but I believe she is speaking from that perspective.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back