CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if this website existed in 2009? Because if it did, anyone who used the web regularly could very easily have googled CA missing persons and got some very good advice if they didn't know what to do when Bob disappeared. The fourth paragraph down makes it very clear there is no waiting period to report a missing person.

http://oag.ca.gov/missing

Although to be honest, even here in Germany I think most people would call police immediately if a vulnerable senior went missing, even if they thought that meant breaking a rule ( and they're sticklers for rules here).

Does anyone know if this website existed in 2009? Because if it did, anyone who used the web regularly could very easily have googled CA missing persons and got some very good advice if they didn't know what to do when Bob disappeared. The fourth paragraph down makes it very clear there is no waiting period to report a missing person.

http://oag.ca.gov/missing

Although to be honest, even here in Germany I think most people would call police immediately if a vulnerable senior went missing, even if they thought that meant breaking a rule ( and they're sticklers for rules here).

According to Wayback (internet archive utility) that same page/site existed in 2009.

yeah, I think the waiting period argument has been pretty much debunked. AND it still doesnt explain having Mrs Harrod call her husband in as missing from over 1000 miles away 7, 8 or 10 hours after he disappeared.

This brings me back to our earlier discussion of LE meeting AH in the driveway with keys in hand.

Does anyone really believe that he would have chosen not to go into the home and perhaps rescue his grandfather who might have become ill or fallen? It seems incredibly strange and cold to me to opt to stand and wait for LE.

Unless he had already been in the house and knew that Bob wasnt there.

To help any local and/or national media prep for stories, I want to bump a few links:

TIMELINE and MEDIA

COURT DOCUMENTS

The court documents are available from OC Superior Courthouse via FOIA of course.
The case numbers are:

Harrod Trust/Fontelle Objector/Andrew Harrod interested party 30-2009-00291267-PR-CE-LJC

Conservatorship 30-2009-00297798-PR-TR-LJC
There should be a settlement agreement between the co conservators and AH somewhere within that material which may add another piece to this puzzle.

To help any local and/or national media prep for stories, I want to bump a few links:

COURT DOCUMENTS

The court documents are available from OC Superior Courthouse via FOIA of course.
There should be a settlement agreement between the co conservators and AH somewhere within that material which may add another piece to this puzzle.

Check your link; they both open to the same link.

I shouldn't have started with court.
Dad will be gone 7 years in a few days; that 2nd file posted is giving me chills. Reminds me of people I used to know. Amazing how greedy people get when money is involved.

Time line and media link thread

Check your link; they both open to the same link.

I shouldn't have started with court.
Dad will be gone 7 years in a few days; that 2nd file posted is giving me chills. Reminds me of people I used to know. Amazing how greedy people get when money is involved.

Time line and media link thread

Thank you!!!!! :blowkiss: Changed it....Next time I will finish my coffee before I post. :)

yeah, I think the waiting period argument has been pretty much debunked. AND it still doesnt explain having Mrs Harrod call her husband in as missing from over 1000 miles away 7, 8 or 10 hours after he disappeared.

I still can not get over the fact that JeM drove home with no concerns about Bob's well being when the CL was immediately concerned. It's as if JeM was purposely attempting to appear calm. Because logically, if Bob had really gone for a walk or to a neighbors and had been gone already for several hours before JeM left Bob's there is no good reason he didn't drive straight to his sons to call his wife and start the search for Bob from there.

I still can not get over the fact that JeM drove home with no concerns about Bob's well being when the CL was immediately concerned. It's as if JeM was purposely attempting to appear calm. Because logically, if Bob had really gone for a walk or to a neighbors and had been gone already for several hours before JeM left Bob's there is no good reason he didn't drive straight to his sons to call his wife and start the search for Bob from there.

IF, that is, he really wanted Bob to be found.

It's amazingly difficult for humans to fake compassion well. Mother Teresa kind of did but there's plenty of investigative journalism that revealed her true nature. She had the advantage of the power of the ultimate patriarchal organisation behind her.

Would it be a fair summary to say that on 27th July 2009,

Bob Harrod went missing sometime between late morning and mid-afternoon. The exact time remains uncertain over three years later.

His son-in-law, who was working in Bob's house that day, told the cleaning lady he thought Bob must have gone to visit a neighbour.

The neighbour Bob was closest to and saw regularly had moved the week before.

His son-in-law, who was working in Bob's house that day, told family members he had seen a suspicious vehicle driving up and down Bob's street that day, for about ten minutes.

Bob had 3 adult daughters, one adult son-in-law and one adult grandchild living within a short driving - or even walking - distance of his Placentia home, none of whom reported him missing.

Bob had sight problems, walking problems, had not taken his car with him and had no history of disappearing, or even leaving his house much except for short walks around the block.

Bob's wife was not informed until 9pm that night that Bob had disappeared. She was over 1,000 miles away in Missouri but immediately reported him missing to California police.

I agree. I think his family all knew that when Bob intended to do something, he got it done without procrastinating. Since adding Fontelle to any bank accounts would need Fontelle's presence and ID, if something 'had to' happen to Bob, it had to happen before Fontelle returned because Bob was likely to stop by the bank on the way home from picking her up at the airport.

He could have stopped at the bank at any time to start the paperwork then brought her by to have her sign it. That's what my hub did so that I did not have to sit there while they did everything.

Would it be a fair summary to say that on 27th July 2009,

Bob Harrod went missing sometime between late morning and mid-afternoon. The exact time remains uncertain over three years later.

His son-in-law, who was working in Bob's house that day, told the cleaning lady he thought Bob must have gone to visit a neighbour.

The neighbour Bob was closest to and saw regularly had moved the week before.

His son-in-law, who was working in Bob's house that day, told family members he had seen a suspicious vehicle driving up and down Bob's street that day, for about ten minutes.

Bob's wife was not informed until 9pm that night that Bob had disappeared. She was over 1,000 miles away in Missouri but immediately reported him missing to California police.

I spent the morning reading; wish the videos were available. Did anyone save them? Specifically the one where they were interviewed after getting married.

What happened to his wife? How was she ill? Just curious because I've read that he was cheap in her care. If he was so cheap in her care; why would he be giving money so freely to the hair lady?

At what point was everything put into a trust? The way my dads was; assets went into trust; houses; business. My dad had his own will where he left his 1/2 to who he wanted; with his wife leaving her 1/2 to who she wanted. It was specified in my dads will that she was allowed to withdraw a certain amount of money without consent of trustees. Monthly bills were paid by the trust. If she needed over a certain amount; she had to go to the trustees & it would be "voted on"

From what I've read; he was frugal with his money. I do not doubt that he had a lot of cash in his house; probably some stashed in the car as well. My dad did the same thing. A wad in his wallet; then various places in the house as well as shoved in the trunk of his cars; in a place no one would think to look unless they were taking the car apart. Right before my dad passed away; he had my son & I taking apart his trunk looking for his cash but we didn't find it. I know someone of similar age to Bob; they do the same thing as my dad did.

What's the story with the military? F says he went to war but the daughters say otherwise & that he married their mom soon after breaking with F.

It's said he has a mild dementia; his Dr said no. I'd tend to blow the Dr off because I know someone his age where it's only noticeable if you speak to them daily.

What I find strange is not only that they married so quick but that F's daughter seems ok with her mom moving to another state with a man she barely knows? I also don't understand the quick marriage because most elderly that I know are not so quick to run out & get hitched due to losing public assistance.

I don't doubt that his kids found this strange & while they're legally married; I'm not sure how I feel if she's still living in the house.

I honestly hope this is a case of him just walking away. Who knows if the car that was supposedly seen was someone waiting for the SIL to leave to pick Bob up?

It's said he has a mild dementia; his Dr said no. I'd tend to blow the Dr off because I know someone his age where it's only noticeable if you speak to them daily.
The people who reported it are the only ones reporting it, and there was a period of time immediately preceding the disappearance where Bob was estranged from his children by his own choice. I would also like to point out that we have no information on when the last time Mr Harrod visited his doctor. For all we know it could have been once a week for the proceeding year.

Mrs Harrod is legally married to Bob who hasnt been declared dead. There is nothing strange, at all, about her continuing to live in her legal residence until Bob returns home.

The case is being investigated by the homicide department and LE has stated it is foul play, so I am not expecting him to return home as in walk in the door home. I am expecting him to come home however to the woman who loves him and misses him and who has made sure that no one forgets that he is still missing. See all of the media generated by her.

I find nothing suspicious about two substantially elderly people spending the rest of their lives together after being apart for almost 60 years.

The videos are all available, Roselvr. They are linked in the thread. :)

This is not hard, imo fwiw. There was a heated family meeting the night before his disappearance where Mr Harrod informed his children that he was adding his wife to his estate planning. It was a contentious meeting. In fact, AH stated to a sworn officer of the law that there was fighting in the family and that was a possible explanation for his father's disappearance.

Not that he had cold feet. Not that he had run away with someone else.

That there was fighting in the family. AH would know.

AH stopped paying on his mortgage, held by the trust, within DAYS of his grandfather's disappearance. Days. He did this predicated on a non documented agreement that his grandfather would forgive his debt when he was DEAD.

The rest, imvho, is window dressing. These people didnt even know what Bob was wearing much less what was going on with his daily existence.

Zwiebel, I think Mr Harrod went missing earlier than late morning, fwiw. I dont think the person(s) who participated in this disappearance knew that CL had changed days and I think it was important to make sure that he disappeared before he could set in motion any of the changes he planned on making.

I would also be willing to bet that Mr Harrod was one to document things in writing or make lists. I am also willing to bet that there were or are notes somewhere detailing out his tasks for the day-my grandfather always had a list.

Who knows if the car that was supposedly seen was someone waiting for the SIL to leave to pick Bob up?

If a car was driving on the wrong side of the street for 10 minutes, undoubtedly SIL approached it with an offer of assistance or grabbed a license number.

I call shenanigans on that SUV. It never existed.

Would you link the site you are reading the other info on Roselvr?

BBM

He could have stopped at the bank at any time to start the paperwork then brought her by to have her sign it. That's what my hub did so that I did not have to sit there while they did everything.

I spent the morning reading; wish the videos were available. Did anyone save them? Specifically the one where they were interviewed after getting married.

What happened to his wife? How was she ill? Just curious because I've read that he was cheap in her care. If he was so cheap in her care; why would he be giving money so freely to the hair lady?

At what point was everything put into a trust? The way my dads was; assets went into trust; houses; business. My dad had his own will where he left his 1/2 to who he wanted; with his wife leaving her 1/2 to who she wanted. It was specified in my dads will that she was allowed to withdraw a certain amount of money without consent of trustees. Monthly bills were paid by the trust. If she needed over a certain amount; she had to go to the trustees & it would be "voted on"

From what I've read; he was frugal with his money. I do not doubt that he had a lot of cash in his house; probably some stashed in the car as well. My dad did the same thing. A wad in his wallet; then various places in the house as well as shoved in the trunk of his cars; in a place no one would think to look unless they were taking the car apart. Right before my dad passed away; he had my son & I taking apart his trunk looking for his cash but we didn't find it. I know someone of similar age to Bob; they do the same thing as my dad did.

What's the story with the military? F says he went to war but the daughters say otherwise & that he married their mom soon after breaking with F.

What I find strange is not only that they married so quick but that F's daughter seems ok with her mom moving to another state with a man she barely knows? I also don't understand the quick marriage because most elderly that I know are not so quick to run out & get hitched due to losing public assistance.

I don't doubt that his kids found this strange & while they're legally married; I'm not sure how I feel if she's still living in the house.

I honestly hope this is a case of him just walking away. Who knows if the car that was supposedly seen was someone waiting for the SIL to leave to pick Bob up?

Hi Roselvr,

Loads of questions! I can help you out a bit with one; I don't think we know exactly what illness Bob's wife suffered from, only that it was long-term and she required a lot of care over a long period. It obviously involved mobility issues too, as a chair elevator was installed in the home for her.

The allegations of 'cheapness' in her care have come from Bob's daughters. It's worth pointing out that Georgia was a wealthy woman, along with her husband; the family trust that daughters have inherited belonged to both her and Bob.

Her obit, linked here and written by her daughter I believe, mentions her 'special caregiver' and 'hospice care'. Maybe they came free - if not, I strongly suspect it was Bob who paid.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/whittierdailynews/obituary.aspx?n=georgia-may-harrod&pid=106570728

One of Bob's few close friends has painted a rather different picture of this time; as Bob as a rather isolated, lonely man, caring for a dying wife to the best of his abilities, helped out by a neighbour:

"He was one of my best friends and I one of his.
When he moved in his wife, Georgia, was still with us. She was very sick and passed away in March 2008.......They had three grown children........Bob had been so used to caring for Georgia for several years;

I was there for him when his wife was sick and dying. I was one of the few people invited to her memorial at sea."

http://bobharrodmissing.com/links.html

In my own opinion, Bob gave money to the BL because he wanted to, and it was his money to give and because he preferred her company to anyone else he had around at the time.

BBM and in red~~~~~~~

The people that spoke to Mr. Harrod daily and/or often denied he was showing signs of dementia. Mr. Harrod's daughters, by their own admissions, did not speak to Mr. Harrod often.

I can help out with one more thing too, Roselvr!

Re the military career;

Bob was called up, and left his fiance, Fontelle. As she never heard from him again and he'd been called up during the Korean war, I guess she maybe presumed he went to Korea.

In fact, Bob served out his time in the US, as a cook for the troops. I don't know if he ever gave Fontelle the full story when they reunited 59 years later - I think not, unless he wanted to add more hurt to the original pain she'd gone through in the 50s.

One of Bob's daughters has been completely scathing about Bob's role as a cook in the marines; as though the men who feed the troops do not count or matter. This is completely, unnecesssarily offensive to the entire catering corps, if you ask me. Starving troops do not win wars. Plenty of cooks have lost their lives - on sinking ships in WW2, for example, the sea did not choose its victims; cooks drowned too. If the marines don't differentiate on their memorials to the dead, no-one else should either.

BBM~~~~

I think we can safely say that Mr. Harrod did not walk away.

Just an aside, but does anyone think Bob's daughter/daughters might manage to progress Bob's timeline beyond 1977 in time for 'Disappeared'?

Just asking, considering that Bob went missing in 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT1510