CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good point, deca. Unless we are 100 per cent certain (say, through a photo taken for insurance purposes) it could be misleading to try and post a photo. Someone who may have found a ring might think there was no urgent reason except honesty to hand it in.

Wouldn't Bob have been the type of person to take photos of his valuables for insurance purposes? And maybe keep them in a safe or safe deposit box?

When anyone gets a chance will you run on down to the SAR forum and weigh in on the flyer? The sooner we get it distributed via REI, EMS, inter park resources, the sooner we can get people looking.

You can follow the link in my siggy. TIA!!!!

Does anyone know if the Masonic rings are engraved with names? Maybe that would help locate it as well...it is conceivable it might have been picked up by someone who didnt know what they had.

I got a little distracted from my ring research by the NY site, where this caught my eye;

'Today, the GFN has developed into a password-controlled, global communications network with thousands of brethren from all over the world subscribing'

http://www.masonic-network.com/

It is sad that outreach on behalf of Bob is hamstrung by fear. :banghead:

Maybe one of you sleuthers can take a stab at it-I am having zero luck finding an active website for the Monrovia Lodge. I wanted to see if they had a lodge specific symbol.

Masons of California:
http://www.freemason.org/index.htm

Annual Reports - Bob donated money in 2008 and 2009 per the reports:
http://www.freemason.org/newsEvents/annualReports.htm

If you use the "Find a Lodge" locator and put in zip code for Monrovia, it comes up with this info, but the page is not found:

Foothill Lodge No. 305
204 W Foothill Blvd
Monrovia, CA 91016-2147
(626) 357-7448
www.foothilllodge305.org

So did it change its number I wonder, or are there more than one? Because the original one opened May 2nd, 1891, was number 308.

Sorry, this search is driving me nuts. I know more about Monrovia in Liberia now than I ever dreamt I would. Maybe we should reach out to Yorba Linda Lodge instead. Or the San Bernardino one - it's new. And it's only up the hill from Bob's place.

I haven't had any inspiration about the ring overnight, but I did have another thought about caches. I have an English penny from 1794, from Plymouth England, home of the founding fathers. They used to lay coins in the tops of the houses when they were built, for luck. I didn't know that when I found it or I'd have left it there. But I thought that might be an interesting thing to have in a cache; A lucky penny from the home of the founding fathers.

For a military cache, I have the top of what's highly likely to be a miltary button from soldiers or sailors defending against Napolean and his troops, also from the City of Plymouth. It has a lion's head on it.

Both grubby and unrenovated, as they should be. I'd be happy to send them over if they would be of any use, and if there is somewhere to send them to.

I haven't had any inspiration about the ring overnight, but I did have another thought about caches. I have an English penny from 1794, from Plymouth England, home of the founding fathers. They used to lay coins in the tops of the houses when they were built, for luck. I didn't know that when I found it or I'd have left it there. But I thought that might be an interesting thing to have in a cache; A lucky penny from the home of the founding fathers.

For a military cache, I have the top of what's highly likely to be a miltary button from soldiers or sailors defending against Napolean and his troops, also from the City of Plymouth. It has a lion's head on it.

Both grubby and unrenovated, as they should be. I'd be happy to send them over if they would be of any use, and if there is somewhere to send them to.

Oh, how fascinating!

I need clarification:

Is the geocache subject having to do with geocachers looking for any sign of Mr Harrod because they, like hikers, visit remote areas...or is it more specifically related to the contents of caches? Two entirely different things...where is the focus as relates to THIS case?

TIA

~jmo~

Sorry, this search is driving me nuts. I know more about Monrovia in Liberia now than I ever dreamt I would. Maybe we should reach out to Yorba Linda Lodge instead. Or the San Bernardino one - it's new. And it's only up the hill from Bob's place.

The Search returns these 3 closest locations to Placentia, in descending order of proximity:

Gateway Lodge No. 339

500 E Imperial Hwy

Brea, CA 92821-5564

(714) 256-1452

http://www.gateway339.org/

Yorba Linda Lodge No. 469

4847 Main St

Yorba Linda, CA 92886-3413

(714) 758-5954

www.ylmasons.com

Anaheim Lodge No. 207

303 W Lincoln Ave

Anaheim, CA 92805-2936

(714) 891-1482

Maybe Bob's daughters would know which one Mr Harrod attended, if any, in the year or two before he went missing.

~jmo~

Very kind of you, zwie! :)
However, no need to part with your treasures. I think we may be able to get donations of items from organized groups- that way we could get the word out at those places as well! For example, REI may donate a new GPS or something like that. (And don't forget the $50,000 in reward money already offered.)

shana, in answer to your question, it is for both purposes. To keep an eye out for Mr. Harrod or any indication of him and his possible location- and to win a cache. They are not exactly separate- we are attempting to correlate the two in order to raise awareness.

Fow example, yesterday I was on the phone again with the USFS. The ranger I spoke to told me that they had a large sherriffs training dept recently use their park for a refresher course in geo-location and cell ping usage in MP cases. I asked if they were notified of any geocaches in the area and he said, funny that you should say that- we have a weekend group (campers) coming out for a geo seminar this weekend so I advised the SO to leave any caches alone. The SO said they 'always did, unless it became a training exercise with real-life applications.'

I've had this expereinece myself, although not with a geocache. But stumbling aross evidence of a body while on vacation in another country falls into the same category, imo.

Granted, I also obsessively check trash bags or backpacks etc abandoned on the side of the road, so perhaps it's just in my nature. But that is, in part, the nature of the geocache project. Hit up groups that already have an eye for detail, and make finding Mr. Harrod part of their recreation time.

As for proof that multiple requests were made:

Det. Radomski: Things got so complicated or heated between Bob and his daughters that he basically wrote them off for 6 months. He didn't want them to visit, he didn't want them to call. I think he was just upset that he was getting bombarded by requests regarding the trust and he's still trying to deal with his wife's death at the same time, so I think he was just overwhelmed
As for his mental capacity:

Narrator: The fact that Bob drove so far at night suggests that he is still quite capable and his mind sharp. Detectives contact Bob's doctor to confirm.

Det. Loomis: His doctor's opinion was that he was one of the healthiest 81 year old men that he'd ever seen. He was active and mobile and capable of making his own life decisions- major life decisions and his ability to care for himself and navigate his own home
We have his oldest in her sworn testimony roughly 6 weeks after the show aired making it quite clear that her father had no mental acuity issues prior to his disappearance.

This would have been an IDEAL time for her, the daughter who was clearly emotionally closest, to have proved their collective point regarding their doddering father giving money away will nilly. But when it came to testifying in a court of law, she didnt.

Not surprising-she couldnt claim he was randomly giving money to a friend, but not doing so with his family. After all there was paperwork showing his financial transactions with his family and detailing their loans. There was none for BL which is why the co conservators were smacked in court.

Getting back to reaching out to the Mason's again-would someone else like to give it a shot? They are a closed group it seems, but perhaps there is a fellow mason out there who is moved enough to intercede on behalf of Bob?

I am going to try and engage the folks at Camp Pendleton as well. They may come up with suggestions or even some technology that they believe might be useful.

Going back over askfornina's transcript reminded me of this statement:

PB: I think the barber woman's motive would be to not pay back my dad for all the money that she had borrowed from him. That's the only thing I could think of.
I agree that this might have been a partial motive for this crime, but I disagree with the participant.

One of our fellow sleuthers indicated that Robbie's ex husband pointed the finger squarely at AH when he found out Bob was missing. Tex believed that AH's astronomical debt motivated the disappearance and charminglane indicated that Tex told LE his belief.

What we know courtesy of AH's deposition is that at least he remembered (sarcasm) when he stopped paying his mortgage and why. He stopped paying his mortgage within days and he stated he believed his debt was to be forgiven upon his grandfather's death.

Getting back to reaching out to the Mason's again-would someone else like to give it a shot? They are a closed group it seems, but perhaps there is a fellow mason out there who is moved enough to intercede on behalf of Bob?

I am going to try and engage the folks at Camp Pendleton as well. They may come up with suggestions or even some technology that they believe might be useful.

believe09, I'll try the Masons again, just to double up. There is a lodge not far from here and although I don't know the members there, I do know an elderly retired marine who is a member elsewhere. Maybe he can help. And I have two good friends out of Camp Pendleton- one retired, now lives just outside, and another active duty. Will try them too.

:bow: Oriah. Thank you.

I just want to keep our to do's in focus-

Finish the flyer
Distribute to relevant websites and stores.
Comb websites depicting photos of areas of interest, websites like Shutterbug.
Reach out to Masons
Reach out to Camp Pendleton

:bow: Oriah. Thank you.

I just want to keep our to do's in focus-

Finish the flyer
Distribute to relevant websites and stores.
Comb websites depicting photos of areas of interest, websites like Shutterbug.
Reach out to Masons
Reach out to Camp Pendleton

Want to aim for the flyer being finished by Tuesday of this upcoming week? I may be able to have a template other geocachers have used by then, with associated areas of interest spotlighted. Then we can combine with yours and move from there to distribution?

Pendleton I know I won't get ahold of till at least Monday. The Mason friend I'll give a call this evening- he's a bit of a homebody. :)

No time to scour the web for photag imagery this weekend- maybe someone else could pick that one up?

Want to aim for the flyer being finished by Tuesday of this upcoming week? I may be able to have a template other geocachers have used by then, with associated areas of interest spotlighted. Then we can combine with yours and move from there to distribution?

Pendleton I know I won't get ahold of till at least Monday. The Mason friend I'll give a call this evening- he's a bit of a homebody. :)

No time to scour the web for photag imagery this weekend- maybe someone else could pick that one up?
Definitely by Tuesday.

I will take any help with a template that I can get!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500