Identified! CA - Brea, BlkMale 17-23, 2281UMCA, Duplicated keys, Clothes, May'80 - Lonnie Raymond Thomas

BrownBear

Reaction score
2281UMCA
2281umca.jpg
2281UMCA1.jpg
2281umca_2.jpg

Enhanced images of vicitm's clothing and shoes.

Date of Discovery: May 1, 1980
Location of Discovery: Brea, Orange County, California
Estimated Date of Death: 6-12 months prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 17-23 years old
Race: Black
Sex: Male
Height: 5'8" to 5'11"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Hair: Black, kinky, approximately 2-3 inches in length.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Medium to heavy build.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Insufficient DNA for profiling.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Light blue and brown long sleeved button up Joel shirt with baby blue thin stripes (size large), a white T-shirt (size Large 42-44), gray or faint light blue Jeans St corduroy pants that were sewn one size smaller than original size, boxer shorts (36" waist), green military or athletic socks, and blue wallabee-style suede shoes with white crepe soles (size 8).
Jewelry: Unknown.
Additional Personal Items: Key ring with 5 house-style duplicated keys.

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim's skeletal remains were found in the creek bed of a heavily wooded area of Shell Oil Field, approximately ˝ mile west of Tonner Canyon Road and 100 feet north of Brea Boulevard in Brea.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Orange County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Scott Hayes
Agency Phone Number: 1-714-647-7400
Agency E-Mail: coroner@ocsd.org
Agency Case Number: 80-01565-L

Agency Name: Orange County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 714-647-7040
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 586-007

NCIC Case Number: U772616994
NamUs Case Number: 7652
NCMEC Case Number: 1184203
Former Hot Case Number: 540

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Orange County Coroner
NCMEC

Admin Notes
Added: 2/27/07; Last Updated: 3/21/19

Last edited:
Given the description of his clothing, I note this young man was attentive to his appearance. His clothing "matched", not haphazardly selected.

I'm most interested in the "Key ring with 5 house-style duplicated keys". I'm not sure why someone would have 5 of the same key on one key ring?

Interesting question. The only reason I can think of is to distribute to a group of people who were all allowed access to something. Like in my youngest's soccer league, each coach got a key to the equipment shed.

Or giving spare keys to family and friends. Maybe he had just moved somewhere?

Oh, good thought.

That might explain if he wasn't reported missing -- the people in his old place knew he was gone so didn't expect to see him, and the people in his new place wouldn't yet expect to see him.

I'm most interested in the "Key ring with 5 house-style duplicated keys". I'm not sure why someone would have 5 of the same key on one key ring?

I was thinking about this as well and then I thought perhaps maybe I was getting a little confused as it is written. I'm not sure the statement is saying the keys were duplicates of each other, but instead they were "house-style" duplicated, ie a key that resembles a house key, but is not the master key. If so, they could be to different properties.

If they were the same key, then perhaps they were for the reasons as noted. Another thought, perhaps he was set up, particularly for a robbery type situation. He could have reached out for roommates who never intended to live with him, but instead rob him. I'm definitely speculating here, however if he carried a wallet or ID, then it was lost or taken at some point, which could certainly point to a robbery.

Interesting question. The only reason I can think of is to distribute to a group of people who were all allowed access to something. Like in my youngest's soccer league, each coach got a key to the equipment shed.

Maybe they were front door keys for a rooming house, small motel or apartment building. Or front door keys for a dormitory, frat or sorority house. They could be house keys for multiple family members.

What Types of Keys can a Locksmith Duplicate?

2281UMCA
2281umca.jpg
2281UMCA1.jpg
2281umca_2.jpg

Enhanced images of vicitm's clothing and shoes.

Date of Discovery: May 1, 1980
Location of Discovery: Brea, Orange County, California
Estimated Date of Death: 6-12 months prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 17-23 years old
Race: Black
Sex: Male
Height: 5'8" to 5'11"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Hair: Black, kinky, approximately 2-3 inches in length.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Medium to heavy build.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Insufficient DNA for profiling.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Light blue and brown long sleeved button up Joel shirt with baby blue thin stripes (size large), a white T-shirt (size Large 42-44), gray or faint light blue Jeans St corduroy pants that were sewn one size smaller than original size, boxer shorts (36" waist), green military or athletic socks, and blue wallabee-style suede shoes with white crepe soles (size 8).
Jewelry: Unknown.
Additional Personal Items: Key ring with 5 house-style duplicated keys.

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim's skeletal remains were found in the creek bed of a heavily wooded area of Shell Oil Field, approximately ˝ mile west of Tonner Canyon Road and 100 feet north of Brea Boulevard in Brea.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Orange County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Scott Hayes
Agency Phone Number: 1-714-647-7400
Agency E-Mail: coroner@ocsd.org
Agency Case Number: 80-01565-L

Agency Name: Orange County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 714-647-7040
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 586-007

NCIC Case Number: U772616994
NamUs Case Number: 7652
NCMEC Case Number: 1184203
Former Hot Case Number: 540

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Orange County Coroner
NCMEC

Admin Notes
Added: 2/27/07; Last Updated: 3/21/19

How do they know he weighed 180 pounds if the remains were skeletal?

I think they're probably going partly by the clothing sizes in this case.

Also, "skeletal" doesn't seem to mean "completely reduced to bones," which is what I thought it meant. It seems to be more like, "more bones than soft parts."

Another @othram solve!

The FBI identified several promising leads and Orange County Sheriff investigators began working to identify family members of the unknown man. After months of work, investigators contacted a woman in Compton, California who was believed to be the young man’s mother. Using familial reference DNA samples, investigators were able to identify the murdered young man as Lonnie Raymond Thomas. Thomas was 20 years old at the time of his death. Thomas’s family has been notified of his positive identification and his remains will be reinterred this week. Orange County Sheriff investigators ordered a gravestone to mark his final resting place with his real name.

1699451653104.png
The remains of Lonnie Raymond Thomas, 20, were discovered in May 1980 in Orange County. He was not identified until May 2023. (OCSD)
“Sheriff’s Department investigators now turn their focus to investigating the homicide case,” the release noted.

Anyone with information related to this case is encouraged to contact Orange County Crime Stoppers at 855-TIP-OCCS or online at O.C. Crime Stoppers. ''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769
Back