CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to the radio interview and my heart is breaking. I hope they positively or negatively ID the body soon. If they have the dental records and he has a permanent retainer it should be pretty quick, right? Hoping so

Defiantly sounds like there is something going on on a very personal level there.

Just adding from that news report

This is a text message, the last one Sean (roommate) got from Bryce that night.
“I love you bro, seriously. You are the best person I’ve ever met. You saved my soul.”
Sean text back
"I love you to man. You have and amazing life. Full of love and blessings don't waste that. You have to many people that love you Bryce."

I mean no disrespect but why would he take some sort of drug to play video games? I am a gamer and so is many of my friends and we don't take drugs to play. So I was just confused why playing video games would mean he would take a drug to play? From what I understand about uppers, you wouldn't want to sit in front of a tv screen. But I could be wrong... ? I guess maybe heroine or something like that but not to play video games... I dunno..

I know that there are a lot of kids and adults who, especially when a new game is released, will use drugs to stay up for hours playing the games. Don't mistake my comment for implying that all, most or even the majority of kids playing video games are taking drugs; I just wouldn't be surprised, given the information that we have and the timeline, if that is what he did.

ETA - Also, ADHD drugs, from what I understand, don't give you a jittery want to run around and dig a hole in the backyard kind of a high but more of an intensely focused high, which is why it is used by a lot of college students to study for exams. I can see someone who was really into video games and took such drugs taking such a drug to play video games all night long, especially when a new game was released.

I'd like to hear more of a description of how BL was acting/his behavior/his statements/possible suspected cause(s) that prompted roommate(s)/friend(s)/whoever into taking BL's car keys from him just day(s) prior to BL leaving Chico, and leaving very late at night (11:30pm-ish IIRC), for a long trip. JMO

August 26 was the first day of classes at Sierra College in Rocklin - http://www.sierracollege.edu/academics/academic-calendar/2013/08/index.php.

Ok, unless he only has one or two classes a week, why was he missing WED, THUR and FRI of school?

Must have been something really important he needed to talk to his mom about....it's looking like it might have been school related.

But then again, the old room mate is saying that Bryce said he'd see him Labor Day...hmm...very strange.

I mean no disrespect but why would he take some sort of drug to play video games? I am a gamer and so is many of my friends and we don't take drugs to play. So I was just confused why playing video games would mean he would take a drug to play? From what I understand about uppers, you wouldn't want to sit in front of a tv screen. But I could be wrong... ? I guess maybe heroine or something like that but not to play video games... I dunno..

I just heard a show on npr today (sorry no link.. listening live to the radio) where adhd drugs are being used frequently by college students. (re: iirc, one of the earlier links said he took an adhd med?)

The uncle of a missing college student from Orange County fears his body may be the one was found burning near Castaic Lake Wednesday morning.

The gruesome discovery was made at about 6 a.m. about three miles north of Lake Hughes Road by a cyclist who initially thought it was a brush fire, said Los Angeles County fire supervisor Bernard Peters. When fire crews arrived, they instead found a burning body.

Frank David told CBS that the body was “more than likely” that of 19-year-old Bryce Laspisa, whose 2003 Toyota Highlander was found a few days before on the Main Ramp Road near the lake.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Lt. Dave Dolson confirmed Wednesday that the charred remains were that of a male.

“I don’t want to go there. I don’t want to go there,” David told CBS. “That’s more than likely him, but I don’t really want to face that right now.”
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...teen-fears-the-worst-20130905,0,1655032.story

"Likely not" Bryce, "more than likely is" Bryce...this speculation is awful. Where is LE? Clearly they're not talking to the family or the public.

A former roommate said Laspisa moved to the Northern California school to start over after a troubled past.
Nick Cavena said Laspisa partied harder than most students and wasn't surprised by his disappearance.
"I expected nothing good could come from the path he was on,” Cavena said.
Cavena said Laspisa was evicted by the college last year from their dorm, and their friendship ended, but he had no ill will toward Laspisa.
“We didn’t end on very good terms, but I mean, once I heard about it, it was very concerning, if he is found, he is safe, he needs help,” Cavena said.

If he was planning to come back on Labor Day that was going to be a really quick trip -- a lot of driving for a little time at home -- there must have been something that he really wanted to talk to his family about in person.

My thoughts are that he had gotten himself in some sort of trouble (drugs, money, gambling?) and needed his folks help. I suspect he stop to visit someone from that realm of aquaintences and violence ensued.

At this point I would really like for his friends to be upfront with *what* his struggles were (and maybe they have with LE), and whether or not Bryce was the one who circled the car before wrecking it.

I just heard a show on npr today (sorry no link.. listening live to the radio) where adhd drugs are being used frequently by college students. (re: iirc, one of the earlier links said he took an adhd med?)

Yes. it's "vitamin A" as we joke. There are certain shrinks that script it if they know you're in school and taking either law or medicine. I seriously don't think I know a single person who hasn't taken it during finals week. It's used for studying and finals week.

It's adderall or vyvanse. the latter is the newest as far as that goes and lasts longer. Also you never get hungry, so for a lot of people it doubles to help save on the cost of food ;)

It's really not unusual at all, plus a lot of the freshmen and sophomore kids are the generation that's highly medicated with the stuff from grade school up - they always seem to have the connections

It def seems as though there were wheels turning beneath the surface. I get that vibe from his parents too -- when they asked his mom on the radio interview if he'd ever been in trouble with drugs or alcohol, she only answered that the police had found neither when they checked on him in Buttonwillow. There has to be a reason she suspected he was using.

So many unanswered questions. Would still like to know what exactly happened during his exchange with the gf about the mystery pill(s) and the breakup.

do we know if when he got the road side assistance they left him with a gas can or did they just put it in his tank?

To clear up where he went to college, etc. He went to Sierra college in Rocklin. He was in the dorm last year and is in an apartment this year (possibly located in Roseville, which I believe to be adjacent to Rocklin.) He went home for the summer and returned mid-August with his parents to move him into his apartment. His girlfriend goes to school and lives in Chico, about two hours away from where he went to school. I think, based off of photos on his Facebook, that he met his girlfriend at Sierra college the previous year.

Exactly what I found via public posts & pics on fb. His gf graduated from Sierra last spring & now goes to a university.

But it remains a mystery why he moved to So Cal from Illinois right after high school grad summer 2012 & would then go away to a community college so far from home.

August 26 was the first day of classes at Sierra College in Rocklin - http://www.sierracollege.edu/academics/academic-calendar/2013/08/index.php.

His parents helped move him into his "first apartment" right by Roseville 2 weeks before. And it was stated that he attended class on Aug 26th.

Based on the previous posts about texts with his roommate, I'm even more worried. I hope he didn't let the negative thoughts overcome him while spending so much time in Buttonwillow after his texts with the roommate. :( Maybe all that time spent there was just a big emotional turmoil dilemma of not knowing what to do or what he could handle doing or not doing... Just so sad.

One article his Mother was quoted as saying he had never driven home from college, that either she or her husband had always drove it. That Bryce didn't know the area.

in that same article (time stamped Sept 4th 12:39pm) tho it says

The man’s uncle, Frank David, spoke about the news from near his hometown outside of Chicago.

“That’s more than likely him, which I don’t want to really face right now,” he said. “I want my nephew back, that’s what I want. It’s sad.”

The uncle may have just been reacting to first hearing about the discovery of the burning body. When I learned of it I felt immediate remorse and thought the same, so I am wondering how the uncle might feel now.

I was trying to hint at this in one of my previous posts because I didn't want to say it directly, but I find it highly "coincidental" that Bryce decided to go an unusual way home through an area that --at least from descriptions here--is a known area for drug use. Still if he was meeting someone there for an exchange of sorts, I wonder why we haven't heard anything about his cell records. I really do wonder if he had a second cell phone.

I-5 is the most direct route from Roseville/Rocklin/Sacramento area to SoCal. Any other way would be out of the way.

ETA: The places he was known to stop - Buttonwillow & Castaic - are both common areas to stop on that route for food, gas, rest, etc.

He just started school on Mon. he was leaving to go home on Wed. His father said they did not know why he was coming home. Did the parents not question him why he was coming home? He told his mother that he broke up with his girl friend. His girl friend didn't give any indication that he had broken up with her. His friend, that got a text from him, seems to think something was wrong. His friends didn't want him to have his keys to drive on Wed. Something was very wrong with him. I really believe the burning body is him. I just wish LE would tell us

Here is a paraphrased timeline from the article cited in my previous post. Notice that the beginning of the timeline does not make sense and may be a typo.

Wed 1:30pm
Announces he is breaking up with GF.
Mother offers to fly up. He declined says he has "a lot to talk about" with mother.

Wed 10pm
Left Sierra College to go home

Wed 11:30pm
Called roadside assistance from Buttonwillow. (1.5 hours is impossible to travel such distance)
???
Roadside assistance checks him at mother's request. Is fine, but eyes are a little red.
???
Roadside assistance (some other articles say Kern County PD) checked again. He is now 5 miles away from the rest stop after having been there for 10 hours.
Thu 10:30pm
"I'm just chilling. I'm going to hang with friends later."

Thu 11:00pm
Buys a drink from a Shell gas station near Buttonwillow (he is still there)

Fri 12:50am
No answer to call.

Fri 1:50am
Answered. Says there are no lights and cannot see any signs.

Fri 2:08am
Tells mother he is pulling off I-5 to sleep.

Fri Some time 4:20am - 5:15am
Bryce's car is in an accident.

Fri 8:00am
CHP asks parents if their car was stolen.

Wed 6:04am
911 call receieved about brush fire 3 miles north of Lake Hughes Rd.

Wed 6:22am
Firefighters reach the fire and discover a burning body.

the bold and red is what concerns me the most. Ten hours at the rest stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahadelaide