CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to fix this with explorer? I can't see the writing b/c it's a really light blue. I don't know anything about tumblr either. TIA

I don't usually use IE, so I don't know if there are differences between versions. I have IE 9 and this seems to work: Internet Options > General tab > Accessibility > Ignore colors specified on webpages

Hope this helps!

(Oops, just noticed another solution from flexiblehawk. Highlighting is much easier in IE. Highlighting didn't work for me in Firefox though.)

Hey, everyone

I'm a frequent reader/rare contributor, but I've been glued to the discussion on this case. Anyway, I have a minor comment I wanted to make in regards to the amateur reporter with the funny hair mentioned on page 38 of the last thread. If you google his name, you'll find a mugshot and a record of some pretty heinous stuff, as well as his address, which is right around the corner from the Cecil Hotel. Probably nothing, but strange to me, nonetheless.

Anyway, stepping back into the shadows now - looking forward to reading more!

Is that cat making that face over that guys hair too? :)

Try highlighting the text. Click the mouse button from the beginning of the text and drag it down.
You can also right click and choose "select all", or use the Windows keyboard shortcut, "Ctrl+A".

Now that we've got these pointers, and even from a MOD, that means the tumblr acct is ok.. right? So can someone put the link up again please ? TIA !:)

If no one else took her up there, how did she get past the alarm system without it sounding and without a key??? If she went up there on her own, how did she bypass the security measures??

I could guess that maybe the alarm system wasn't working? I really don't know.

In my post I said it would be quite an endeavor for someone to put her in the water tank... I didn't say it was impossible :)

I'm still struggling with both possibilities. The elevator video made me think she was hallucinating. I thought she had been slipped a drug.... then killed and dumped in the water tank. It's all very puzzling.

In my post I said it would be quite an endeavor for someone to put her in the water tank... I didn't say it was impossible :)

The alarm system may have been not working OR turned off for a variety of reasons . Also there are fire escapes outside, but someone carrying her up there unwillingly, would be in for a big task.

Hey, everyone

I'm a frequent reader/rare contributor, but I've been glued to the discussion on this case. Anyway, I have a minor comment I wanted to make in regards to the amateur reporter with the funny hair mentioned on page 38 of the last thread. If you google his name, you'll find a mugshot and a record of some pretty heinous stuff, as well as his address, which is right around the corner from the Cecil Hotel. Probably nothing, but strange to me, nonetheless.

Anyway, stepping back into the shadows now - looking forward to reading more!

Thanks for that tidbit, hope you step out 'of the shadows' more often!

Now that we've got these pointers, and even from a MOD, that means the tumblr acct is ok.. right? So can someone put the link up again please ? TIA !:)

You can see my summary including a bunch of links to different parts of her Tumblr here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8911550&postcount=1017"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013[/ame]

Hi, I joined the forum to post something that hadn't been mentioned yet. There's this youtube comment:

Elisa Lam was a SMART girl. POLICE NEED TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE TIPS SHE GAVE IN THIS VIDEO.i believe she is using sign language to communicate with the camera. She has signed key words of "computer" "friend" "capture". Get a sign language expert to watch this. Find out what else she is saying from 1:55 onwards... FIND OUT WHY SHE WAS IN LA, WHO SHE WAS MEETING (an online friend?) CHECK HER COMPUTER HISTORY AND ACTIVITY. THE PERSON WHO KILLED HER WAS SOMEONE SHE WAS MEETING.

I noticed that several people said the same thing. I don't know sign language, but I was able to figure out that she does say "friend." Check out the video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrH2ZfCyJDo&feature=youtu.be

Now compare it to the Elisa video at 2:10:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjVBpyTeZM&feature=youtu.be

If that's accurate, then she said "friend" "computer" "capture."

I'm still struggling with both possibilities. The elevator video made me think she was hallucinating. I thought she had been slipped a drug.... then killed and dumped in the water tank. It's all very puzzling.

Whoever put her in the tank knew about it beforehand. They could have easily just thrown her off the side of the building and it would have been called a suicide. Going to the extra effort to put her body in a cistern on the roof seemed rather risky for someone anxious to conceal a body. It would have been easier to keep her in a closet in an apartment, or dump her body in some maintenance room.

Not much has been said in the media about her room and her belongings. Was there anything suspicious about the state of her room? Did they actually rent it out again when she didn't check out or did they keep it empty until the police could check it out.

Also, what was she doing on the 14th floor if her room was on the 4th floor. Was she even in the same building/tower? From the pictures of this hotel, it appears it's made up of three separate towers.

I still think she could have been sleepwalking in the elevator footage, however not knowing what time it was shot makes it impossible to say she was asleep. Even being on drugs, could she have drawn more attention to herself? I mean, in her normal state, some of the workers at the hotel remembered seeing her, so if she acted up, that possibly would have stood out?

So she meets someone or 2-3 people who work or stay in the hotel. They're running around the floors, horsing around. At one point Elisa is ahead of the person(s) and enters the elevator. At that point she does the silly, flirty, teenage type stuff detailed in my previous post. At a later point she's on the roof with the person(s). She is killed purposely or accidentally or maybe overdoses up there, and the person(s) hides her body in the tank.

I think it could be something as simple as that. I am stymied as to what people are seeing in that video that convinces them she is on drugs or otherwise impaired. She is just a fidgety silly young girl having a good time traveling and fooling around with someone she met. Look at her body balance and firm stance when she moves to stand in and outside of the elevator. She's not on drugs.

(Believe me, I would know. ;) )

Wanted to add some comments regarding the Elevator video, the hand gesturing part.

I do think she's having some sort of episode. Her attention did not seem to be directed at a single physical location.
- first she looked at the wall across from the elevators (the mirror?)
- then she turned the the right, but more slightly towards the inside of the elevator and slightly down
- first gesture here is right hand up, as in a wave
- the next gesture I'm not too sure. My initial thought was groping as if blind. But right arm seemed more exaggerated, as if she was trying to keep the elevator door open...
- then her face turned back into the hall, but her focus seemed to be her gesture.
- gesture here looked like opening a package or showing something round
- then comes the gesture that some here said looked like counting. She looked more tense (squeezed harder) which each count.

What disturbs me is that at the end of the counting part her body seemed to suddenly go limp and pause for a second, before moving away normally. It's as though she was hypnotizing or de-hypnotizing herself.

Anyway, her movements did not seem startled throughout the whole part. If she were talking to a real person I think she would have maintained eye contact. But she seemed to be doing her own thing.

If I felt threatened and I went into the elevator with a clear mind, I'd go straight for the lobby. I wouldn't think about "throwing off" pursuers by pressing a bunch of different buttons. Nor would I go back out if the door didn't close -- I'd keep pressing the Door Close button. The picture of the elevator panel shows a bell picture which I think would be an alarm. I'd raise hell. It's a hotel! Get all the guests out into the hallway. But from the video I don't think she even noticed the columns of buttons other than the middle one.

So I'll go with sleepwalking and hallucinating.

Wow, great posts by some new (or infrequent) posters! Keep 'em coming!

Hi, I joined the forum to post something that hadn't been mentioned yet. There's this youtube comment:

Elisa Lam was a SMART girl. POLICE NEED TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE TIPS SHE GAVE IN THIS VIDEO.i believe she is using sign language to communicate with the camera. She has signed key words of "computer" "friend" "capture". Get a sign language expert to watch this. Find out what else she is saying from 1:55 onwards... FIND OUT WHY SHE WAS IN LA, WHO SHE WAS MEETING (an online friend?) CHECK HER COMPUTER HISTORY AND ACTIVITY. THE PERSON WHO KILLED HER WAS SOMEONE SHE WAS MEETING.

I noticed that several people said the same thing. I don't know sign language, but I was able to figure out that she does say "friend." Check out the video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrH2ZfCyJDo&feature=youtu.be

Now compare it to the Elisa video at 2:10:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjVBpyTeZM&feature=youtu.be

The only problem I have with this is why didn't she do that while IN the elevator facing the camera? She could have sign language a whole novel in the time she kept going in and out.

She seems obsessed with pressing the column of buttons, especially the second time she gets in there. I wonder why her focus was from top to bottom? The first time she entered the elevator she casually (almost playfully) hits every button from top to button. The top button is the floor she's on, so the light goes off, and I'm thinking the bottom button disabled the elevator for a brief time, which is why the door stops closing as she's pressing it. She thinks someone is messing with the elevator, but it really was her own doing.

And... I do happen to sign. I see where some might think she signs "friend" because she has (maybe)2 fingers up on both hands and crosses them together. But it's not clearly that. The other signs suggested I can't relate to what she does. I do note that she doesn't really have her hands in a normal signing position. Her arms are too extended. I might even think she's just doing half-hearted dance moves to whatever song is in her head and on her lips.

NTG86, I read your post and it sent chills up and down my spine. You're right, I do see "friend". I wonder if there is something that looks like a security camera in the general direction that she was facing in the hallway. She could have been trying to sign for help to security. But perhaps that camera actually didn't work or its footage was lost somehow?

OK, I have to take a break from this. Watching the last known video of a dead girl over and over again is a pretty spooky thing to do.

Am I allowed to post what she wrote on her formspring account (since it is linked from her tumblr)?

If this goes against some kind of terms of service, please just edit it.

Anyway, on her account there she mentions having insomnia as well as depression.

Someone asked her how she would describe her personality.
She replied by saying that a coworker thought she had ADD because she could be really "energetic and random". Another person thought she was "loud and obnoxious". She goes on and says that most people find her "way too energetic".

Living one block from The Cecil, I've been peeking at this thread. You guys are really on it with the tumblr and other speculations. The media here in LA is really tight lipped. The cecil is pretty dead but when I peek inside the staff make it seem business as usual.
I am curious as to the new details, what was determined in the autopsy, did she drown? I am also curious about the connection with the youtube account. If anyone could fill me in, that would be great.

I also wanted to give my 2 cents on a few things. I live in a loft in one of the buildings a block away. This part of town is full of homeless, mentally ill, hispanics working in all the run down shops, and transients with the greyhound only half a mile away. The prison drops off released inmates closeby, and I run into severely mentally ill, or gangsters every day. While there are "hipsters" and loft buildings, there's still a lot of work to be done. I'm curious, though, about the connections with the tumblr. If that is her account, the Speakeasy she is talking about is most likely Varnish in the back of Coles on the same block she stayed on. It's a dark speakeasy with a usually normal upscale for the area crowd. The block however, is really bad, and I never go drinking there, even with my boyfriend, even living 1 block away. Where coles is, is basically the start of skid row. It sounds like she lost her phone around there or in the bar. If she were outside perhaps somebody was harassing her and followed her. It would not be uncommon at all for that block. I was once followed down that block to a parking lot, it was terrifying. There is also visible drug dealing around that bar at all hours, and a busy bus stop. I've been followed for blocks from this area.

Is it just me or do her posts seem jumbled. She was at the Speakeasy before she checked into LA? I'm from downtown San diego as well, and don't think there is any speakeasy she could be talking about. Did she stay in San Diego as well?

In regards to any alarms in the building on the roof- I don't think that the alarms were properly working. I really don't. My building is a converted bank building just as old as the Cecil. Nothing works properly, and security is made up of a bunch of buffoons, and usually the same companies work with all the buildings here. Now I do want to know if there were more CC TV's and why there were breaks and oddities. I've never been into the cecil other than the coffee shop downstairs, but it seems like a halfway house, I highly HIGHLY doubt that anything functioned properly or "to code"

Also, to note, there are several suicides in Downtown LA. More recent ones at the Hotel Hayward on 6th/spring. Not sure if they occurred on the roof, but obviously no alarms were set if so. My building says they tape everything in the basement and the roof, however, you can see the screens while picking up packages with the doorman, and he's only watching the lobby. He once slipped and told me he can't see those areas.

Some of the higher lofts facing the Cecil in my building may have visible sight to those water tanks, as they face northwest. I wonder if anybody saw anything. I can clearly see them where I park my car, which is eerie. There are HUNDREDS of lofts facing those towers, I'm sure SOMEBODY saw something. People here are buzzing at all hours.

I also think it's interesting that her tumblr updated, and she said she lost her phone. I'm really curious to see the details play out here, as there could* be a murderer among me :( I do believe it was a staff member or downtown resident in this building. Many of the apt staff and "security" guards in downtown LA are corrupt. Actually, most are. There have been many stabbings and rapes by these staff, especially the security. They are not the most professional types, and most guards I walk by harass me or stare creepily. You cannot be vulnerable at all here.
The Last Bookstore, where she was noted to have been, is about a 2-3 block walk from the Cecil. It's a great bookstore, but again, the homeless hang out across the block and I've also been harassed over there. If you don't walk fast and act confidently, I would believe that she could have been stalked.

I Don't think Elisa was on drugs (Heavily, or at all) and the elevator clip is very scary. She was followed and scared, you can tell. I'm very curious to see how this plays out, and have not been able to sleep the past few nights boiling over this happening where I live. Needless to say, I'm moving to a different area in a month.
I wanted to post as a resident here, and if anyone has any questions about the area, let me know. Sorry if this is scattered, I just have so many thoughts and questions.

And... I do happen to sign. I see where some might think she signs "friend" because she has (maybe)2 fingers up on both hands and crosses them together. But it's not clearly that. The other signs suggested I can't relate to what she does. I do note that she doesn't really have her hands in a normal signing position. Her arms are too extended. I might even think she's just doing half-hearted dance moves to whatever song is in her head and on her lips.

Maybe she's not an expert at using sign language. Computer & Capture are not as obvious as friend:

Computer:
http://lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/c/computer.htm

Capture:
http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/CAPTURE/3096/1

Am I allowed to post what she wrote on her formspring account (since it is linked from her tumblr)?

If this goes against some kind of terms of service, please just edit it.

Anyway, on her account there she mentions having insomnia as well as depression.

Someone asked her how she would describe her personality.
She replied by saying that a coworker thought she had ADD because she could be really "energetic and random". Another person thought she was "loud and obnoxious". She goes on and says that most people find her "way too energetic".

If she did have insomnia, then my sleepwalking theory is possible. Apparently sleepwalkers can also be insomniacs and suffer anxiety. Perhaps she was overly anxious about returning home? She had a sleepwalking episode in that video, and then who knows what happened after. There isn't much information about her medical history coming from her family or the police except for the part about depression.

Here's a good web page describing sleepwalking symptoms and causes:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001811/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members