Identified! CA - Dana Point, WhtFem 23UFCA, 18-23, cliff jump, Sep'87 - Holly Glynn

English is not my first language, so please excuse me if I got this wrong. Doesn’t “high-end” mean “expensive”?

Yes, "High-end" does usually mean expensive.

Thanks CarlK90245!

We still have to determine which account is correct on this fact. The one that mentions "high-end" buildings contains other inaccuracies so I'm not sure whether we can rely on it. Both account don't necessarily conflict since JD could have asked for both a high-end and tall building.

Do we know where she placed the call from? And where the cab picked her up? The LA Times says she asked for directions to the desk clerk in the Hampton Inn in Mission Viejo but "later" called the cab... Meaning: later from there? or later from somewhere else?

Perhaps what she did on her last day could provide us some clues to who she is.

Did she get at the Hampton Inn by foot? alone? with/without bags? Did she stay there (I'm assuming she didn't, which leaves us with this other question: Where did she stay the night before?).

Sandra Lowe? Not sure if she has been looked at. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lowe_sandra.html

lowe_sandra.jpg

Hello you all,

I noted a discrepancy throughout the various accounts of JD's last moments.

- September 21, 1987 issue of the Los Angeles Times (as kindly summarized by Ada Wong) :
JD asks the hotel desk clerk at the Hampton Inn in Mission Viejo whether there are “tall buildings” in the area.

- http://www.unsolved.com/ajaxfiles/une_jane_doe.htm
JD asks the hotel desk clerk at the Hampton Inn in Mission Viejo whether there are “high-end buildings” in the area.

English is not my first language, so please excuse me if I got this wrong. Doesn’t “high-end” mean “expensive”?

I'm pretty sure you linked to the wrong site. I believe you meant to link the Doe Network. They've recently updated their description of the case to mention high-end hotels, and they also give other new information which I've not seen anywhere else. Probably most importantly, they mention that the purse said "Carol L. Pinkham" on it.

Unfortunately, there's still no clarification on what the hell Penie-Cal is.

As an addendum, I have to believe that the high-end buildings mention is an error. Despite how little we know about Jane Doe, I cannot fathom why she would have wanted to go to a high-end building. She had very little money, she wasn't dressed in any manner which would suggest affluence or cultural sophistication, and she didn't seem to be in the possession of any high-end goods or even an automobile. If she did say high-end, that makes this case go from confusing to CONFUSING.

I'm pretty sure you linked to the wrong site. I believe you meant to link the Doe Network. They've recently updated their description of the case to mention high-end hotels, and they also give other new information which I've not seen anywhere else.

You are very right indeed. Thank you Ada Wong! I should have linked the Doe Network page: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/23ufca.html

I agree that the "high-end" building makes this confusing. But asking for "tall" buildings and then asking the driver to go to the Ritz-Carlton, which is as you mentioned, not a tall building seems quite confusing too. So much is confusing in this case.

The Doe Network link also provides info on where and when she was picked up: from the Unocal Station at Oso and I-5 at 0415 hours.

The Doe Network mentions that some of the handwritten notes found in her purse looked as if someone had given her directions (to Unocal Station and to other places). I wonder what these other places were.

Further (minor) inconsistencies:

- http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/23ufca.html: "She said her car broke down and seemed upset."
- http://www.unsolved.com/ajaxfiles/une_jane_doe.htm: "The only thing the taxi driver said was that she had very little to say other than that. She was very quiet and he didn’t notice anything really unusual about her."

- http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/23ufca.html: "She asked for him to take her to the Ritz-Carlton or as far as $18.00 would get her."
- LA Times article: she changed her mind halfway when she realized she didn't have enough money to go to the Ritz-Carlton.

Was Beverli Darnell ever considered? She was known to spend time in CA, FL and MA. I realize that the shoe size is off, but maybe it was a size 9 instead of a 6.

darnell_beverli.jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2889/

Charley Projet and Doe Network pages mention Beverli was 5'6-5'7, as opposed to the Namus page, which mentions 66-67 inches (about 5'5). Jane Doe was 5'4. Yet I don't think this is enough to rule her out because the discrepancies between the various websites could be due to the fact that these are just estimates of Beverli's height.

Physically, JD and Beverli seem quite similar to me, especially the chin area. I wish we had more Beverli's pictures. I couldn't find any other that the one you linked to. The eyebrows seem a little different though.

BTW: What does "slender frame but [...] well-developed" mean in JD's description? Does "well-developed" mean well-developed chest? or well-developed hips? Because Beverli is described as "almost flat-chested. Small waist; large hips in proportion to bust and waist".

BTW: What does "slender frame but [...] well-developed" mean in JD's description? Does "well-developed" mean well-developed chest? or well-developed hips? Because Beverli is described as "almost flat-chested. Small waist; large hips in proportion to bust and waist".

My impression of that statement would be a well-developed chest, but that's just my opinion

My impression of that statement would be a well-developed chest, but that's just my opinion

That's how I've always interpreted it also. Well-developed can also be used as a tactful synonym for curvaceous in general, but the bosomy appearance is still pretty much a requirement.

Ah thank you :) Based on this fact, Beverli's description might somewhat conflict with JD's. What do you think?

What about Sandra Lowe, as CherBearSTL also suggested? Her eye color is listed as blue whereas JD's brown. Timeline, age, height and weight seem otherwise to correspond, but Doe Network says foul play is suspect in her disappearance... I couldn't find much info on her unfortunately.

Ah thank you :) Based on this fact, Beverli's description might somewhat conflict with JD's. What do you think?

It probably does. That said, it's still worth trying to figure out how much of Darnell's description is accurate. For instance, I've seen multiple conflicting statements regarding her teeth. So far I've read reports that her teeth were perfect, that her teeth were okay but had one or two fillings, and that her teeth were lousy and badly needed braces to treat a severe overbite. :banghead:

If any of those reports are accurate, Darnell would have had to received multiple fillings and a root canal after her disappearance. That seems difficult to imagine, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Unrelated to Darnell, what's with the new topic title? I understand that a few topics about the same unidentified person were merged together, but the new title really doesn't seem very accurate.

The Doe Network updated her page, including the circumstances which she called the taxi cab --
The police spoke with a taxi driver for American Taxi who said they picked up a fare from the Unocal Station at Oso and I-5 at 0415 hours. She fit the description of this deceased. She asked for him to take her to the Ritz-Carlton or as far as $18.00 would get her. She said her car broke down and seemed upset. He dropped her off in front of the Chart House near Cove Rd and Scenic Drive (DP).

No abandoned vehicles were located in the area where she was picked up and they checked the 24 hrs prior just in case. The maps look like they are for tourists with points of interest labeled with descriptions of what you can see there. Her handwritten notes on some pages with directions to that Unocal where cabbie picked her up and other notes as if someone gave her directions. She used the restroom at Unocal. Police interviewed everyone and she unfortunately did not give her name or any personal information.

Previously, I thought that the taxi had picked her up at a Hampton Inn. Also, it states that the purse that she was carrying was embossed the name "Carol L. Pinkham." There was speculation earlier in the post if the Carol L. Pinkham who had originally owned the purse knew the unidentified woman. I hope that it is ok to include the woman's name (I guess the Doe Network thought it was ok to disclose her name).

I don't understand the new title -- I don't think this woman is a "runaway teen." Is it an error?

Unrelated to Darnell, what's with the new topic title? I understand that a few topics about the same unidentified person were merged together, but the new title really doesn't seem very accurate.

I don't understand this change either. Neither the date nor the age-range are accurate. Besides, "runaway teen" is just a speculation (all the more since she might be a little older than a teen).

Among her items, it is said that they found phone numbers that were traced to a nearby hotel. Do you think they are referring to the Hampton Inn? Or to another one?

I assume she didn't stay at the Hampton Inn (it would be mentioned, right?), just walked by and asked for directions. Do you think this too?

If this assumption is correct, I further assume that the phone numbers do not correspond to the Hampton Inn, but to another hotel. The reasons why I think this are:
- if she just asked directions there, why would she take their phone number (possible but unlikely in my opinion)?
- it is mentioned she had "matches with Hampton Inn Logo" (Doe Network). I guess they meant matches in a matches box with the Hampton Inn Logo (they couldn't fit a logo on a match...). If there's the Logo on this matches box, there's probably also the phone number on the front desk and the address, isn't it?

This being said, if it's not the Hampton Inn, this leaves me wondering why she had this other hotel's phone numbers: Did she plan to stay there? Did she plan to meet someone there and finally didn't? Or did she meet this someone? Has this encounter anything to do with her suicide?

Uhhh that's a lot of ifs and question marks... I keep looking at her picture and mentally asking her to provide us some clues to find out who she is.

I recently got some photoshopping software and am using it to "colorize" some of the black and white composite sketches of UID victims to make them appear more lifelike.

The first is just a basic recolor.
C:\Users\aaron\Pictures\87_04457_sketch.jpg

The next shows what she'd look like with a bit of makeup and earrings. (I plan on doing this with all female UID sketches as it tend to give them a more lifelike appearance.)

C:\Users\aaron\Pictures\makeup87.jpg

If anyone has any other black and white UID sketches that they want me to colorize, just PM or e-mail me.

I recently got some photoshopping software and am using it to "colorize" some of the black and white composite sketches of UID victims to make them appear more lifelike.

The first is just a basic recolor.
C:\Users\aaron\Pictures\87_04457_sketch.jpg

The next shows what she'd look like with a bit of makeup and earrings. (I plan on doing this with all female UID sketches as it tend to give them a more lifelike appearance.)

C:\Users\aaron\Pictures\makeup87.jpg

If anyone has any other black and white UID sketches that they want me to colorize, just PM or e-mail me.

Thank you for doing this but you are linking to where the pictures are located on your computer, and not where they might be on the internet. You need to upload them to a website first, such as http://tinypic.com and then link to them when they are stored there.

There was a male suicide victim in Orange County (Fullerton) who killed himself about two months after the woman in Dana Point. I wonder if they are connected or just coincidence?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/14umca.html
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/7662
http://egov.ocgov.com/ocgov/Sheriff...roner/Unidentified Dead/John DOES/87-05618-MA

I have a feeling it's probably just a coincidence. Is it just the timing and location of these two suicides that make you wonder if they're connected, or is there something else you picked up on?

Does anyone know of any gangs that were into forced prostitution at that time?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DryHeat77
Back