CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

The campsite thing has always really bothered me. I still CANNOT believe that his Aunt claims this is the last time she saw him...but then later it is brushed off as happening earlier (in Sgt Rand's words "The aunt and grandmother did drop him off but it was prior to him going to San Francisco originally."). This comment "prior to him going to SF originally" has always confused me, it sounds as if Farren went to SF either once before or only to SF and nowhere else? And yes...it seems such a strange place to just leave an 18 yr old alone in the wilderness; unless he wasn't going to be alone...?
The only thing I can make out here,

Farren took an overnight camping trip to the campground and came home, or Farren had visited San Francisco before by bus and came home. The Aunt is confusing the earlier in the year of 1980, with the date he was reported missing. (June 16, 1980. But why would she mess up that information in the first place? The word "originally" is very confusing in this context.

Satch

Quote from above:

"I have wondered if some less accepting family told him to hit the road (his mom? Also mom withholding money because she didn’t agree with his ”lifestyle”?) I think the “seeing the world” stuff is what you tell grandma to make it all sound promising and exciting vs. took off for SF with a guy. JMO."

Agree 100%!

This needs to be looked at. Farren could have easily said "See the World" when he really wanted to go to San Francisco to look for a guy, or hook up with a guy. Or just explore the gay community. Presumably, a high school drop out would not have the funds in 1980 to "See the World." Or travel for months and months by bus, possibly hitchhiking all around the United States. You would have to have the family being millionaires to allocate those kind of finances to Farren. Plus, a young kid with no money could not make world trips happen.

Any upset by the family only happened after after they found out that Farren had left the National Hotel with all his belongings and never came back. I think his grandmother was the one who cared the most emotionally, while his Uncle put in the most effort to find him. But his biological mother and father? What about his grandmother on his father's side? His sister? It's like they threw him out into the garbage. If they didn't, why are there no reports of them trying to find him? Our WS community has been more of a family to Farren than his biological family was, (except for the grandmother who cared.) This needs to be a new focus in our investigation. Something is terribly wrong with this family structure.

Satch

Guys!
San Mateo county coroner has emailed to say she may have a match for Farren but she needs to check further as the possible year of death is a bit off! But the remains were skeletonised so she has her deputy checking to see if the remains were cremated or buried as if buried she is willing to extract DNA for comparison.

The link to this UID is below. Theres not much info and the circumstances of discovery are odd. The remains were apparently dug up with some other soil and transported in a barge to use as fill for a bridge.
It's possible I guess and she may as well check if she can I think?

Does anyone happen to know if Farren smoked? This John Doe's NamUs page as this listed as found on the body:

Part of a package of Marlboro cigarettes and wad of papers were found in the back pocket of the jeans.
On the Body

I have to agree, something doesn't sit well with me about the whole story of him leaving. It always sounded strange and contrived that "he decided after his 18th birthday to see the world and boarded a greyhound heading East".....so what, no planning, no saving, no trips to buy suitable clothing, food or anything else he'd need, no route plan? It sounds like this was the first his family had heard that he wanted to leave.
Add the whole campsite story into this and it's even weirder.

So I have to ask -what would make a young man suddenly without warning decide to up and leave in an apparent hurry to get away.
Please share your ideas. The gay question is obvious. I can't imagine him just "coming out" back then but it's possible it had come to light another way.

Now, just thinking out loud here but if Farren did leave with someone else, how would we go about finding this out do Yiu think?

Does anyone happen to know if Farren smoked? This John Doe's NamUs page as this listed as found on the body:

Part of a package of Marlboro cigarettes and wad of papers were found in the back pocket of the jeans.
On the Body
No idea but it's not improbable in 1980. Plus his family hadn't seen him for 8 months so he could have started in that time as well
I asked about the wad of papers and what they were (cigarette papers or actual papers) but she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

No idea but it's not improbable in 1980. Plus his family hadn't seen him for 8 months so he could have started in that time as well
I asked about the wad of papers and what they were (cigarette papers or actual papers) but she hasn't gotten back to me yet.
I am so glad someone is looking into this. I see this John Doe was just entered into NamUs on June 29, 2023. We all have to wonder how many Doe's aren't entered into NamUs.

I can't wait for you to hear back.

Anything is possible,

But I think we found out above that this John Doe was not Farren.

Satch

I have to agree, something doesn't sit well with me about the whole story of him leaving. It always sounded strange and contrived that "he decided after his 18th birthday to see the world and boarded a greyhound heading East".....so what, no planning, no saving, no trips to buy suitable clothing, food or anything else he'd need, no route plan? It sounds like this was the first his family had heard that he wanted to leave.
Add the whole campsite story into this and it's even weirder.

So I have to ask -what would make a young man suddenly without warning decide to up and leave in an apparent hurry to get away.
Please share your ideas. The gay question is obvious. I can't imagine him just "coming out" back then but it's possible it had come to light another way.

Now, just thinking out loud here but if Farren did leave with someone else, how would we go about finding this out do Yiu think?
Thinking off the top of my head here Why did Farren leave in the first place?

1.) The gay issue and how family would react. If they knew or even were suspicious.
2.) Tension in the family from the divorce.
3.) Biological parents despite no longer living together pitting one against the other.
4.) Mother hated Farren for some reason, wanted him gone. (Maybe it was because of his chosen lifestyle?)
5.) Farren knew he was deserted as a toddler, and felt his maternal grandmother was the only one who treated him with love, kindness, and respect.
6.) Farren didn't want to be a burden to his grandmother, despite his love for her.
7.) Farren did not see a future for him in Oregon. Felt San Francisco was his best choice.
8.) Farren was legal age where he could do what he wanted.
9.) Abuse by a family member that Farren saw, or maybe happened to him and wanted a new life.
10.) Knowing that by staying in Oregon, nothing would change for the better.
11.) Farren's father's and grandfather's work ethic, "You don't miss work unless your dying" statement from the grandfather,
12). No record of any of Farren's paternal family ever looking for him!
13.) Religious conflicts. Farren was an Assembly of God. Learned mother was a strong Baptist. Baptists despise homosexuality. That could have been the ignition of the explosion between Farren and his Mother.
14.) Resentment of Farren leaving school could have been felt by either side.
15.) Not a lot of teen hang out places such as malls, arcades, fast food courts, record stores, video game electronics, or places were Farren could have fun as a late teen in Oregon. But tons of these places in San Francisco! In 1980 these activites were a teen's lifelines!

Satch

Satch

There is a huge amount of archived LGBTIQA+ community stuff from Oregon from the 70s onwards and some of it seems to be online, or at least the records of it are online. I’m flat-out at the moment but im going to try to look at it asap similar to how we have done with the San Francisco materials to see if anything comes up that would shed light.

1.) The gay issue and how family would react. If they knew or even were suspicious.
2.) Tension in the family from the divorce.
3.) Biological parents despite no longer living together pitting one against the other.
4.) Mother hated Farren for some reason, wanted him gone. (Maybe it was because of his chosen lifestyle?)
5.) Farren knew he was deserted as a toddler, and felt his maternal grandmother was the only one who treated him with love, kindness, and respect.
6.) Farren didn't want to be a burden to his grandmother, despite his love for her.
7.) Farren did not see a future for him in Oregon. Felt San Francisco was his best choice.
9.) Abuse by a family member that Farren saw, or maybe happened to him and wanted a new life.
11.) Farren's father's and grandfather's work ethic, "You don't miss work unless your dying" statement from the grandfather,
13.) Religious conflicts. Farren was an Assembly of God. Learned mother was a strong Baptist. Baptists despise homosexuality. That could have been the ignition of the explosion between Farren and his Mother.
15.) Not a lot of teen hang out places such as malls, arcades, fast food courts, record stores, video game electronics, or places were Farren could have fun as a late teen in Oregon. But tons of these places in San Francisco! In 1980 these activites were a teen's lifelines!

Satch

Satch
I believe these could all be possibilities yes, except number 2. Since his parents divorced when Farren was 2 or 4 (sorry I forget) I don't think this was the issue.
We must also consider that,although odd, it could be that Farren did just decide to up and leave for no better reason that he wanted to see the world.
If this is the case, and he was predisposed to just taking off...it also raises the possibility that he did just leave the hotel of his own accord. (although I admit, it's not likely he left all his stuff and money).

.) Religious conflicts. Farren was an Assembly of God. Learned mother was a strong Baptist. Baptists despise homosexuality. That could have been the ignition of the explosion between Farren and his Mother.
Is this true? I wouldn't want to say ALL Baptists are against homosexuality, I'm sure they're not, but is it a fundamental part of Baptist belief? Because yes, Farren's sister is a very fervent Baptist and so was his mother I believe.
But since he lived with his gran I wouldnt thing any difference in faith would be an issue. His gran clearly didn't care if he was gay or not.

There is a huge amount of archived LGBTIQA+ community stuff from Oregon from the 70s onwards and some of it seems to be online, or at least the records of it are online. I’m flat-out at the moment but im going to try to look at it asap similar to how we have done with the San Francisco materials to see if anything comes up that would shed light.
Really that's amazing to know! I woukd be VERY interested to find out any references to John Day in particular or Grant County and also if Farren may have had access to any literature at that time.
Imagine a family member finding such a magazine in his possession!
Take your time...but I await anything you find with baited breath!

Really that's amazing to know! I woukd be VERY interested to find out any references to John Day in particular or Grant County and also if Farren may have had access to any literature at that time.
Imagine a family member finding such a magazine in his possession!
Take your time...but I await anything you find with baited breath!
Me as well!

We know that Farren liked to read Readers Digest, so it would be great to find articles from that time to see if any would connect to Farren's interests! We were able to get an archive of titles, but not of actual articles.

Satch

My revisted list for what Farren left Oregon:

2.) Tension in the family from the divorce. (@Ciriii57 makes a great point about how young Farren and his sister were at this time. But the beliefs that both sets of parents can inflict, if that divorce is bitter, can scar both a former husband's and former wife's families for a lifetime.)
15.) Not a lot of teen hang out places such as malls, arcades, fast food courts, record stores, video game electronics, or places were Farren could have fun as a late teen in Oregon. But tons of these places in San Francisco! In 1980 these activities were a teen's lifelines!
16.) Farren really and actually did leave to "See the World." But seemingly didn't get very far. I think that more and more, San Francisco was his destination.

We know regardless of which family members cared or didn't care, Farren cared. He called his grandmother's home to say he was safe, and certainly spoke about where he was. Maybe he spent more time in other California cities before residing in San Francisco. California is huge!

I still think that foul play is most likely. If Farren had wanted to leave voluntarily, he would have taken his money, clothes, ID, and other things with him. Not leave them back at the National in his room.

Satch

Last edited:
FYI Everyone,

The closest thing to a teen wanting to "See the World" would have been back in the mid 60's to early 70's, where kids would leave broken families who were a little younger than Farren to join the Hippie Movement. A cultural evolution back than of free spirited discovery, drugs, music, (often Rock and Role) and sex, in places like San Francisco and New York City.

While Farren might have been very interested in exploring this type of cultural environment, the Hippie Movement phased away, after about 1975. Many came back to their families. Others built new lives, and never contacted their families again.

Satch

I think it would be wonderful, interesting and relevant to find out more about Farren's life pre-SF. To know what motivated him and what he might have been exposed to to shape him. I for one am keen to know more about his personality and actions and reasons for leaving and some of the mysteries surrounding that and I'm excited to read everyone's discoveries <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
No not yet as far as I know? i didn't hear back, last I heard they're checking what happened to the body.
The other one was from Stanislaus county...the UID they checked had different dentals.
Okay good, I wasn't losing my mind. I thought maybe I read it wrong. I hope they get back to you soon.

I think it would be wonderful, interesting and relevant to find out more about Farren's life pre-SF.
I was thinking the same. We know he spent junior year in Medford, has it been addressed what he was up to between then and going back to John Day prior to his 18th birthday? I wonder if he had a summer job?

Great work @Ciriii57, as always!

Logically, why would he want to be dropped somewhere so remote? Meeting up with someone that he didn’t want to be seen with seems the most obvious reason. Being picked up by them seems even more logical, really, given the access to the highway. Obviously this was a place that locals knew, a place that was known well enough colloquially to be described as “the old Joaquin Miller campground”, so it was somewhere you could say you’d meet someone, and people knew what you meant, but also probably no one else would see you there.

Hitch-hiking in the general direction of a town with a Greyhound - maybe, but seems a roundabout way to do it doesn’t it?

The more I think about it the more I wonder who Farren might have encountered during those last few years in Oregon before his disappearance who might have influenced him to realise things about himself or the world.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back