CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

Other tourist areas besides what you named would be Ghirardelli Square, Fisherman’s Wharf, North Beach. And I think amusement visitors largely also consist of suburban families in the surrounding area. So possibly the Bart stations which would be busy with commuters from outlying areas arriving in the city for work could be targets. Those would be the Montgomery and Embarcadero stations on Market. There is also a Ferry building with ferry service (although not sure exactly when that started).There really are a lot of possibility.
Other Marriott options - there was a Farrells in the Serramonte shopping center in Daly City. But this one and the airport job are much less likely IMO. Bart didn’t extend to the airport until the 2000s. So both of these locations would have required taking Bart to Daly City plus one or more bus transfers.
This is JMO, but I can’t see living in the heart of SF only to travel to Daly City every day.
It would make more sense to live in Daly City where it‘s cheaper and commute into SF where there are more jobs instead of the other way around JMO.
If anyone has access to newspaper archives, I would love to get a look at the Sunday help wanted classifieds in the SF Chronicle or Examiner from that time. Id be curious to see what jobs Marriott was hiring for. If there were Farrells job ads and none for ticket selling (for example), that would make the trek out to Daly City more likely IMO.
Thank you! It's really brilliant to have someone with local knowledge!
Several commenters in this thread do have access to newspapers and I am pretty sure that a while back someone (sorry forget who) has posted an ad they found advertising a job for Farrell's Ice Cream!
Thank you about the information regarding The Bart ...I had honestly just assumed that the air port would have been one of the first routes to be completed!

Oh... regarding ads for ticket sellers. I do wonder if this was actually gonna be an advertised job or something you found out from word of mouth or just showed up at Ticket sales HQ..wherever that was. If someone can actually find any reference to this job it would be amazing
We know that there was a "Marriott sales representative" active in SF and organising sales of tickets to the theme park from the article that I think @KathPlumber posted, maybe this guy was like a supervisor for the actual sales people?? He seemed to be more in charge and was organising the gay night. Maybe there were sales focuses if the theme park had special events like concerts etc. I found some mention of concerts online

My research on this case is making me feel like an octopus, with multiple tentacles stretching in so many different directions!

<modsnip>

I’m searching trying to figure out the marriot ticket selling situation. But I found this pretty frustrating and hard to do. The closest I have come was the info on ticket sales dude Peter Hume (have reattached). The newspaper job advert idea is excellent and i do have access to archives via work, but not sure if I’ll have time for a while as it will take a bit of patience and digging in. I think we need an explanation from someone who was a part of that situation or familiar with it at the time.

It’s really annoying that none of the press have gone back to you @ciirii
because this whole situation really begs for some publicity and public appeals to remember and speak up about things

A couple of relevant points I’ve figured out:

Marriott’s Great America was not doing well financially in the period of 1979- early 80s. Sales were persistently under, despite there only being one form of competition nearby and there was a national drop off in attendance at theme parks after the numbers of attendees peaked in the late 70s. They were trying different things hence the “Gay Night at the Marriott’s GA”. I also read that the period leading up the the Easter Break was considered a really important one and theme parks all out a lot of effort into marketing and staff ing that Easter break specifically. And didn’t Farren go missing after Easter eg once the yolk had eased off or dried up or whatever? Anyway it’s not surprising actually that they sold the park less than halfway thru the decade.

Attachments

• IMG_9019.jpeg
    IMG_9019.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Finally re ticket selling … During this period (late 70s) the city of SF either introduced or tightened up on loitering and public vagrancy laws. Can’t remember name of the law but basically it was used (and abused) as a way for the police to “move on” young gay men who congregated in the street.
often they were staying in cheap and nasty hotels, and couldn’t afford to go anywhere m so the street became their playground/ garden and way to meet friends and lovers and it became seen as a nuisance / was used as an excuse for a bit of police brutality. Police are widely documented picking up and arresting and charging men with resisting arrest if they objected to police hassling them. Often the men were just walking or sitting around minding their own business and the ended up getting beaten up.

In this context having a job where you had a reason to be strolling the streets for hours would be extremely good cover. (Especially if what you were really doing involved something illegal like selling or consuming drugs or sex) It allows you to be active and mobile, with good reason and no excuse for police to hassle you.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

I also read that the period leading up the the Easter Break was considered a really important one and theme parks all out a lot of effort into marketing and staff ing that Easter break specifically.
This seems like a really useful piece of info- when was Easter break in 1980? Do we think Farren was in town then?

once the yolk had eased off or dried up or whatever?
Finally I'm sorry but I have no idea what this means haha ???

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get a chance to get through all of them, but in the SF Examiner I found a few employment ads, but didn't see any related to ticket sales.

I saw a couple for chef and manager for Farrell's, a couple for construction, a few for management/directors at their corporate office in Maryland...

I did find some ads for the theme park which were basically coupons for "Bugs Bunny Bucks" that you could clip and redeem at the park to use for food. These were from May-June 1980.

Finally I'm sorry but I have no idea what this means haha ???
It should have said “work” and was a typo, but as it was so close to the words “Easter” and “dried up” it ended up sounding like I really meant egg yolk?! Sorry, my fingers are faster than my eyes!

I promised I would make a list of DOE / UID ruleouts as some people were asking. The MEs/Coroners I have heard from have checked all their records but are unlikely to record them all as rule outs on NamUs. Ok so:

NAMUS-Most of Farren's rule outs are from Virginia (normal as VA had a clearing house of their Does and throughly checked them all). There are also the below:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) (Oregon-recently identified as Jesus Ruiz)
UP7980 (Ohio)
There is not 1 single rule out on NamUs for Does in California!! And I think this is because he is listed as missing from Oregon.

PILLAR POINT DOE
UP10528
Farren's details were passed onto the Marin County Coroner in the 90's after the SF ME read an ad placed by RC about Farren. But this Doe was ruled out as being Farren. Since been identified as someone from Salt Lake City but family didn't want the name released.

MARIN COUNTY
All Does between 1980-27th June 2023 RULED OUT (15 Does)

SANTA CRUZ COUNTY
All Does between 1980-5th July 2023 RULED OUT (5 Does)

STANISLAUS COUNTY
All Does between 1980-10th July 2023 RULED OUT (13 Does)

Currently this Doe is under consideration from San Mateo County:
UP105015

Last edited:
@Ciriii57 Thank you so much!

There was this one also, found in the bay on 5/30/1980. His head was shaved and he appeared to have needle marks.

I am not sure if this JD has DNA entered since that info doesn't come up on the profile page anymore.

Back when this was first discussed we didn't know whether Farren was even missing yet when this JD was found. I guess we still don't but I think the chances are pretty good that he was. This JD is listed in San Francisco on Namus.

ETA: I don't think the link came out right but it's UP5866 on NamUs.

I know we have probably all seen the National Hotel from the front before, and some of you may have already looked on google maps at these views, but I just wanted to share them out of interest and to get an idea of the area.
Below are 2 aerial shots. I have placed a pink dot on the hotel. The red building nextdoor is a Theatre and it was also in Farren's time; The Strand Theatre. The tall building on the right wasn't there in Farren's day, this is the building that was built after the one containing that original Doe was demolished.

1689689862385.png1689689920465.png

This is an aerial shot from directly above the hotel. The weird shapes on the sides of the roof are "light wells" according to the plan that was posted before. I am not sure what that actually is though?

1689690671378.png

The below is what really interested me. This is the back entrance to the National Hotel, which we never really see, but presumably it could have also been accessed by residents. This road is called Stevenson Street. All the big modern buildings wouldn't have been there, it would have mostly buildings similar to the hotel and Theatre. Today this street is dark, dirty, quiet and full of homeless people...I wonder what it was like in 1980 and whether this is where those involved in vice may have congregated instead of at the front...or perhaps the theatre attracted a more "Bohemian" crowd! I would be interested to know if there are any 1980's news articles which mention this street?

1689690907240.png1689690969343.png1689691178280.png

I'll be happy to look for articles mentioning Stevenson St sometime today.

I am wondering about the John Doe found in the bay on 5/30/80.

Namus states he was not recognizable due to decomposition, but they were able to see needle marks on his skin so I'm wondering if that could narrow down a range of when he likely died. I know very little when it comes to that but the date is right in the range between last call to Grandma and being reported missing. I wish I had paid attention to whether they had DNA, but had no idea that NamUs was going to remove that info from the pages.

His hair was described as blonde while Farren's is generally listed as brown. The height is only off by an inch and the weight of the Doe (if I'm remembering Farren's vitals right) is about 20 lbs lighter than Farren. But traveling and all without a lot of money, I could see him losing weight. Not to mention the weight for Farren was probably a guess.

Strangely, the doe was wearing a brown down jacket, white T-Shirt, white socks and brown Nike shoes, but no pants or underwear. Could that be an indication of a sex crime, or perhaps the pants came off in the water?

I didn't give this one much effort way back when because the attic one seemed so much more promising. I'm thinking it might be worth looking into but SFME doesn't respond to messages from my experience. I'm going to look for any articles that might mention this Doe being found today also.

I'll be happy to look for articles mentioning Stevenson St sometime today.

I am wondering about the John Doe found in the bay on 5/30/80.

Namus states he was not recognizable due to decomposition, but they were able to see needle marks on his skin so I'm wondering if that could narrow down a range of when he likely died. I know very little when it comes to that but the date is right in the range between last call to Grandma and being reported missing. I wish I had paid attention to whether they had DNA, but had no idea that NamUs was going to remove that info from the pages.

His hair was described as blonde while Farren's is generally listed as brown. The height is only off by an inch and the weight of the Doe (if I'm remembering Farren's vitals right) is about 20 lbs lighter than Farren. But traveling and all without a lot of money, I could see him losing weight. Not to mention the weight for Farren was probably a guess.

Strangely, the doe was wearing a brown down jacket, white T-Shirt, white socks and brown Nike shoes, but no pants or underwear. Could that be an indication of a sex crime, or perhaps the pants came off in the water?

I didn't give this one much effort way back when because the attic one seemed so much more promising. I'm thinking it might be worth looking into but SFME doesn't respond to messages from my experience. I'm going to look for any articles that might mention this Doe being found today also.
Thank you! Yes please re Stevenson Street.

JMO Personally I honestly have always discounted this Doe. The needle marks mean he was most likely a heroin addict. The hair style sounds really odd but I had always thought it was describing a shaved head with a ponytail. Kind of like a Harri Krishna?
This all just sounds so far removed from Farren....it might also be that I don't want to imagine him like this.
The only thing that makes me wonder is if his mum wouldn't send his money in case he used it on heroin...but I doubt she knew really ...it's not like he was gonna tell her it was for that!

But I would say it is worth checking into everything! What do the news reports say? I just quickly searched and there is very little online about this Doe. I thought I'd read his WS page before but I can't find it now or find him on doe? Doe usually still lists if there is DNA available. God alone knows why they removed that feature from NamUs!
SF medical examiner never ever responds even though their website says "contact us"....yes, we are trying to!!

I promised I would make a list of DOE / UID ruleouts as some people were asking. The MEs/Coroners I have heard from have checked all their records but are unlikely to record them all as rule outs on NamUs. Ok so:

NAMUS-Most of Farren's rule outs are from Virginia (normal as VA had a clearing house of their Does and throughly checked them all). There are also the below:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) (Oregon-recently identified as Jesus Ruiz)
UP7980 (Ohio)
There is not 1 single rule out on NamUs for Does in California!! And I think this is because he is listed as missing from Oregon.

PILLAR POINT DOE
UP10528
Farren's details were passed onto the Marin County Coroner in the 90's after the SF ME read an ad placed by RC about Farren. But this Doe was ruled out as being Farren. Since been identified as someone from Salt Lake City but family didn't want the name released.

MARIN COUNTY
All Does between 1980-27th June 2023 RULED OUT (15 Does)

SANTA CRUZ COUNTY
All Does between 1980-5th July 2023 RULED OUT (5 Does)

STANISLAUS COUNTY
All Does between 1980-10th July 2023 RULED OUT (13 Does)

Currently this Doe is under consideration from San Mateo County:
UP105015
Do you think this JD is worth submitting to the ME for consideration?

1689700596949.jpeg

Do you think this JD is worth submitting to the ME for consideration?

View attachment 435569

Wow that looks like Farren! I can't imagine he was in Maryland (odd this is the second time Maryland has come up in connection to Farren) but you just never know.
Although NamUs doesn't list his height, on his WS it says 5'6" (there was a whole discussion as originally it was listed at 6'8"!! ) Which would be several inches too short.

Apparently this Doe has no DNA and even though he is a loooong way from SF I think the face looks so familiar that yes, submit!

Thank you! Yes please re Stevenson Street.

JMO Personally I honestly have always discounted this Doe. The needle marks mean he was most likely a heroin addict. The hair style sounds really odd but I had always thought it was describing a shaved head with a ponytail. Kind of like a Harri Krishna?
This all just sounds so far removed from Farren....it might also be that I don't want to imagine him like this.
The only thing that makes me wonder is if his mum wouldn't send his money in case he used it on heroin...but I doubt she knew really ...it's not like he was gonna tell her it was for that!

But I would say it is worth checking into everything! What do the news reports say? I just quickly searched and there is very little online about this Doe. I thought I'd read his WS page before but I can't find it now or find him on doe? Doe usually still lists if there is DNA available. God alone knows why they removed that feature from NamUs!
SF medical examiner never ever responds even though their website says "contact us"....yes, we are trying to!!
I had kind of discounted that Doe too... well, not so much discounted but just didn't see enough to convince me that he was Farren while attic guy was a real possibility.

The only thing that has brought me back to this one is the date he was found (and in SF, of course).

I don't know how common it was to shave your head in that time period, I know a lot of teens and young adults were doing it in the late 80s if they were part of the punk/goth scene. As for heroin, we have no reason to believe Farren was using it, but it would have been abundant in the Tenderloin area of SF, drugs is what that neighborhood is known for, so I wouldn't be shocked if he had experimented with it.

I did look through the newspapers, and most of what I could find was related to a McDonald's that was also on Market Street and had a rear door on Stevenson. One guy (identified) was killed there and was found in that alley in May 1979. There was a complaint about McDonald's staff throwing rotten food out in the alley. The only other mentions I found were related to the construction of the tower (that replaced the building next to the hotel) and Stevenson was mentioned as one of the streets that bordered it.

I found nothing about the John Doe.

McDonald's that was also on Market Street and had a rear door on Stevenson. One guy (identified) was killed there and was found in that alley in May 1979. There was a complaint about McDonald's staff throwing rotten food out in the alley
Nice! It does help add to the image we already have of this place...not great!

If you find that the doe doesn't have DNA then I say submit, if you have any suspicions that it could be him. Farrens broken wrists should identify him easily I would think.

I really hope Farren wasn't into Heroin, it seems so unlike what we know of him but yes, he could have gotten into this I suppose. I've never taken drugs but I'm lead to believe that you would start with less hard drugs and move your way to the hard stuff? I don't know how long this would take, or even if I'm correct
Regarding the hairstyle, my interpretation of it is this:
(Won't let me upload a screenshot)
Is this what you were thinking?
It seems such a unique style, almost like something religious rather than punk or goth or anything. But who knows what hairstyle he had then!

Wow that looks like Farren! I can't imagine he was in Maryland (odd this is the second time Maryland has come up in connection to Farren) but you just never know.
Although NamUs doesn't list his height, on his WS it says 5'6" (there was a whole discussion as originally it was listed at 6'8"!! ) Which would be several inches too short.

Apparently this Doe has no DNA and even though he is a loooong way from SF I think the face looks so familiar that yes, submit!
Submitted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HairHawk
Back