CA CA - Heidi Planck, 39, left son’s football game in Downey, dog found in Los Angeles, 17 Oct 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is crime like in the area of the building? Could she have been the victim of a carjacking? MOO
I’ve wondered the same but it feels unlikely. It’s right by staples center and lots of restaurants, so I’d guess on a Sunday afternoon there were enough people around that it wouldn’t go unnoticed. DTLA is block by block for safety like any big city though. I guess it could have happened earlier on her route too. Downey, where she was for the football game, is not the safest IMO.

Sorting through, the silence is deafening, lack of transparency is chilling, misinformation is rampant.
What am I missing?
10/17- Antsy Heidi inexplicably leaves son’s game at half-time.
Texts discovered later indicate that dog was inexplicably at the H&F building 3 hours after Heidi left game.
10/18- JW later stated he asked friend to check Heidi’s house after not reaching her. Friend found all normal and she reportedly found a personal or back up cell.
10/20- JW and son go to police station to file Missing Person report.
10/21- JW accompanies local police to do a wellness check at her home. Found various devices allegedly including a work cell and reportedly a work laptop. JW revealed later that work phone texts on recovered cell indicated that dog was kept at H&F since 10/17.
10/28- Guns drawn very late on a Friday night, 8 days after Missing person report filed snd 7 days after Wellness check turned up a “pristine” environment, LAPD elite Robbery and Homicide division along with federal agents conduct an intense search inside the home of the missing person, search for clues or weapons in plants on the roof, remove a few files.
Also at some point warrant is granted to, at least, search the H&F garage.
First week of November, ex husband begins vaguely implicating employer and work situation.

So. Did they get a tip that precipitated the full court late night raid? Do they have evidence of a kidnapping or extortion? Nobody is talking except the ex husband. Social media and outcry from friends seems to have quieted down. Police have remained silent.
Is there a back door exit from the house? Access to the house from the street behind the house? Did the friend who allegedly picked up a phone on 10/18 just overlook the other phone and laptop/s?

“Wayne said his ex-wife’s corporate phone was full of messages left by a woman who found Planck’s dog on the 28th floor of a downtown LA Apartment Building.”

She didn’t say she found the dog outside the building, or in some nearby park, or in the parking decks and has ever since been keeping the dog in her unit up on the 28th floor. No, she said she had found the dog ON the 28th floor. Wayne said the dog was found loose on the 28th floor. I don’t think anybody misspoke or that we should try to reinterpret their words for them. (Jmo)

I can’t explain how the dog could have ended up on the 28th floor alone and loose and wandering, but I think that is exactly what happened. I think we should treat this as a fact in the case until somebody can prove otherwise. What could account for this? All jmo

“Wayne said his ex-wife’s corporate phone was full of messages left by a woman who found Planck’s dog on the 28th floor of a downtown LA Apartment Building.”

She didn’t say she found the dog outside the building, or in some nearby park, or in the parking decks and has ever since been keeping the dog in her unit up on the 28th floor. No, she said she had found the dog ON the 28th floor. Wayne said the dog was found loose on the 28th floor. I don’t think anybody misspoke or that we should try to reinterpret their words for them. (Jmo)

I can’t explain how the dog could have ended up on the 28th floor alone and loose and wandering, but I think that is exactly what happened. I think we should treat this as a fact in the case until somebody can prove otherwise. What could account for this? All jmo
Just trying to think of ways the dog could have ended up there in the case that Heidi was not seen entering the building. Maybe someone found it outside, took it in, it started barking or they had to leave, so they placed it in the hall for a neighbor on the hall to deal with. If foul play occurred in an apartment on the 28/29th floor, letting the dog loose for someone to find within hours is a huge misstep. JMO

So I just saw a short news report on KTLA 10 pm news. It was a small video of Heidi's friends and family putting up MISSING fliers and talking to people in Downtown LA , around where her dog was found.

The reporter [didn't catch her name, attractive Latina reporter with long brown hair] said that she spoke to Heidi's Ex husband---he told her he had called Sugarman to ask if he knew anything about Heidi’s whereabouts….Ex said that Sugarman was more concerned about where Heidi’s laptop was and wanting to get that back than he was about finding Heidi. :mad:

I found that interesting^^^^

She also said that LA’s top Homicide team is now working the case. But she didnt gave anymore info about that so I don't know if it means anything or not.

For some reason I am not that suspicious of her ex-husband. Usually I am looking at the ex-husband sideways until we have total clarity otherwise. But for some reason I think he really does want to help, probably for their son who must be devastated.

I don't really see a strong motive for him to murder his ex. He seems to have happily moved on and they seem to be co-parenting OK, so I feel there are way stronger potential suspects in this case. But who knows?

About the dog-
How is it that the dog was reported as found within 3 hours of Heidi leaving the football game?
JW declared that the texts indicated he was already identified on the 28th floor, 3 hours after she left the game, in Downey.
That was on Sunday afternoon, October 17.
He reported that the people found Heidi’s contact info through the microchip.
So, I guess that on a lovely Sunday afternoon the nicest people ever found a Labradoodle wandering the hall in the sky. Must have called Concierge, right, to report and ask if it was reported missing or registered to the 28th floor? With no response or a negative, did they wait to hear which neighbor was missing a dog?
No. They quickly loaded up and went down to the garage to go to emergency Vet or store for scan, on Sunday afternoon. Nice.
Quick as a bunny, because no one was busy at all, they got the scan and texted Heidi’s work phone? Most Chips allow for several numbers. Funny that oh so close JW was not noted. And most often the Chip company is responsible for contacting owners, they don’t just pass Contact info out to strangers with a story about finding a dog.
Then what when no response to the text? Loaded up on dog food. toys. kennel and back to the garage, elevator, 28th floor where they patiently awaited a response for days with the energetic labradoodle?
IMOO
Heidi made a deal with someone to get the dog to her son is the only reasonable explanation. The dog sitters must have not known what they were getting into. Imagine their surprise when they finally heard from JW. MOO MOO MOO

About the dog-
How is it that the dog was reported as found within 3 hours of Heidi leaving the football game?
JW declared that the texts indicated he was already identified on the 28th floor, 3 hours after she left the game, in Downey.
So, I guess that on a lovely Sunday afternoon the nicest people ever found a Labradoodle wandering the hall in the sky. Must have called Concierge, right, to report and ask if it was reported missing or registered to the 28th floor? With no response or a negative, did they wait to hear which neighbor was missing a dog?
No. They quickly loaded up and went down to the garage to go to emergency Vet or store for scan, on Sunday afternoon. Nice.
Quick as a bunny, because no one was busy at all, they got the scan and texted Heidi’s work phone? Most Chips allow for several numbers. Funny that oh so close JW was not noted. And most often the Chip company is responsible for contacting owners, they don’t just pass Contact info out to strangers with a story about finding a dog.
Then what when no response to the text? Loaded up on dog food. toys. kennel and back to the garage, elevator, 28th floor where they patiently awaited a response for days with the energetic labradoodle?
IMOO
Heidi made a deal with someone to get the dog to her son is the only reasonable explanation. The dog sitters must have not known what they were getting into. Imagine their surprise when they finally heard from JW. MOO MOO MOO

I’m not sure about your last para/conclusion. But I def agree the rest of the dog story seems wonky. & I know for sure that where I live the microchip company do not give out the owners’ details except to registered authorities - police, vets, animal welfare organisations etc - certainly not to Joe Bloggs who found the dog. Is it different in the US? (eta unless, is it possible the microchip company gave the details to the vet and the vet practice passed them on to the dog finder? Seems wrong to me but not impossible)

I tend to think the financial misdeeds stuff gives the culprit in Heidi’s disappearance a good smokescreen. And if so it will be significant to them to ensure that financial case and Heidi’s boss and his apparent sinisterness be reinforced in the public and police mind.

Last edited:
Greetings from Tasmania, Australia.

I may have missed this if posted earlier, but could HP be in Witness Protection, etc until she gives evidence against the employer?

As the son is subject to shared custody she may have unable to take him with her, with the son and ex being kept out of the loop at this stage?

For some reason I am not that suspicious of her ex-husband. Usually I am looking at the ex-husband sideways until we have total clarity otherwise. But for some reason I think he really does want to help, probably for their son who must be devastated.

I don't really see a strong motive for him to murder his ex. He seems to have happily moved on and they seem to be co-parenting OK, so I feel there are way stronger potential suspects in this case. But who knows?
I'm still catching up on this case, but I wholeheartedly agree - there is nothing that makes me the slightest bit suspicious of her ex-husband at this point.

I want to know if her vehicle has GPS. She seems affluent enough to have a vehicle with that feature. JMHO

Greetings from Tasmania, Australia.

I may have missed this if posted earlier, but could HP be in Witness Protection, etc until she gives evidence against the employer?

As the son is subject to shared custody she may have unable to take him with her, with the son and ex being kept out of the loop at this stage?

While there are obvious reasons to think that she might have been asked to testify in a case, the witness protection program does not operate like this. They would not hide her away while police are conducting a full investigation and using public resources. Most likely, she would be able to notify her son of her plans. They also would allow her to communicate something to her mother, most likely.

That is super sus on why the woman would call Heidi's work phone and not her regular cell phone. It kind of doesn't make sense as the dog has nothing to do with Heidi's work, You would think the chip would have her personal phone number on it. Why would they call her work phone? Seems very odd to me.

About the dog-
IMOO

Many dog owners have their phone number on a license tag on the dogs collar, so they can easily be called if the dog gets lost, the chip is additional insurance in case somebody steals the dog and removes the collar. This is speculation of course.

LAPD should be able to search her phone records through her carrier and determine who she spoke to the day she went missing. And was she "distracted" upon arriving at her son's game, or did she take a call during the game which caused her to become distracted?

According to what is posted on Fox news Nancy Grace news site:
The day after the game- 10/21 os what he is referencing.
JW as far as I can tell has a syntax issue. May be stress related, but it makes his declarations difficult to understand, in addition to the random contradictions.
And I guess the “spare phone” is her personal phone and the computer missing would also be her personal computer? And I suppose he glaringly doesn’t remember what he has said previously.
From the article:
…Wayne said that when he couldn't reach his ex-wife the next day about matters concerning their son, he began to worry and sent her best friend to check in on her at her home. Planck's cell phone was on the counter, but she was not home. Her Range Rover, purse, spare phone and her computer have not been found.
Wayne said his ex-wife's corporate phone was full of messages left by a woman who found Planck’s dog on the 28th floor of a downtown LA apartment building just three hours after the mom was last seen. Her Range Rover, purse, personal phone and her computer were all gone….
Nancy Grace raises new questions in case of missing California mom last seen at her son's football game
In the articles I've read, this was the first time I saw mention of him asking someone else to go to the house to check on her before LE did their check.

I'm going to listen to the podcast this morning, but now I'm curious about something: If the friend went and checked before the LE on 10/18 and HP's phone was on the counter with no computer, then LE checked on 10/20 and found her phone and computer, did someone enter the house between those dates?

Heidi's friend D said to Nancy Grace that it was Heidi's personal phone that she found in her house.

Jim, in the same interview said he wasn't sure whether it was her personal or business phone, but he went on to say "The police detectives have told me it was her personal phone, according to Apple"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ulanov911