Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually am shocked to read this. I won't even guess how many Under 18'ers should be charged. I don't think this law is followed very well or wasting the courts time on this. IMO.
No reputable tattoo artist would do it in CA, but they are right on the border of Nevada. With parental consent you can be 14 to get a tattoo in NV. Or you can go to an unlicensed sketchy person in CA.

Right. But it still looks quite big and fancy, which I think may have added to the aura of her being older, and potentially attracting the wrong age group and the wrong person. She's just sweet sixteen.

I'm sure she was flattered by any potential attention of someone older, but she wouldn't have had any life experience of how to deal with all of that - and if drink and/or drugs were added into the mix, things can get messy and scary fast.

Plus with nearly 100 people at this party in the dark, remote forest campground, it was an ideal opportunity for someone nefarious to try something.

MOO.
I know others have commented and I don’t mean to beat this dead horse. Because of the weather (snow), a 9-year-old small SUV is the most average, typical car a teen like Kiely would drive. My mom lives in Placer County, my dad lives in Nevada County and I have a 16-year-old just south of this area. Kiely’s car is not at all big or fancy by Truckee standards. As average as can be.

It is a crime to get a tattoo in CA if under age of 18yo....

In fact, according to Penal Code 653 PC, it is a crime to “ink” or administer a tattoo to a minor under the age of 18.

A violation of this code section is charged as a misdemeanor. The crime is punishable by:

• custody in the county jail for not more than six months; and/or,
  • a maximum fine of $1,000.

How old do you have to be to get a tattoo in California?

Maybe I'm lost in translation but I think the law doesn't say that getting or having a tattoo under the age of 18 is a crime. What's forbidden (in California) is to perform a tattoo on a person under the age of 18.

But anyways it doesn't seem relevant to this case.

I know others have commented and I don’t mean to beat this dead horse. Because of the weather (snow), a 9-year-old small SUV is the most average, typical car a teen like Kiely would drive. My mom lives in Placer County, my dad lives in Nevada County and I have a 16-year-old just south of this area. Kiely’s car is not at all big or fancy by Truckee standards. As average as can be.
Yes, thank you. That has helped me understand. I wasn't even thinking of the snowy winters there....

For one thing they can issue an Amber Alert which will blast her and the car's description to everyone's cell phone.

Activation Process​

California AMBER Alerts are initiated solely by California law enforcement agencies. Law enforcement agencies must follow strict activation criteria before an alert is activated. The agency's administration must give approval before initiating an AMBER Alert. The primary consideration in the development of the activation criteria was the identification of those abducted children who are at the greatest risk of serious bodily injury or death.
In order for the California AMBER Alert Plan to be activated, law enforcement must be satisfied the following criteria have been met:
  • It has been confirmed that an abduction has occurred, or the child has been taken by anybody including, but not limited to, parents and/or guardians.
  • The victim is 17 years of age or younger, or of proven mental or physical disability.
  • There is reason to believe the victim is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death.
  • There is information available that, if disseminated to the general public, could assist in the safe recovery of the victim.
The AMBER Alert cannot be used for custodial disputes or runaway cases that don't meet the criteria. Law enforcement agencies are encouraged to issue an Endangered Missing Advisories for cases that don't meet the criteria. Here are the steps a law enforcement agency must take once it has been determined that the criteria have been met:
  • If the agency is within a CARE county (Los Angeles, Orange, Alameda, or San Diego) contact the local Sheriff's Department
  • If the agency is not within a CARE county, contact the California Highway Patrol.
  • The agency should set up a phone "hotline" to handle tips and appoint a public information officer to handle the press.
  • The agency should obtain current photos of the victim and if possible the suspect.

There is no Amber Alert.....does this mean LE thinks her missing case does not meet the criteria? Abduction is mentioned everywhere in MSM...but does LE wants to go there yet? Maybe there is an Endangered Missing Advisories? They opened a phone Tip line.

Last edited:
How odd, so no fires. Can’t imagine a gathering of teenagers and young adults in the woods without a bonfire. Are there not designated fire pits?
Alot of places, you can't have fires even with fire pits, even in established campgrounds. This has been true for decades. In the backcountry, certain cook stoves are even banned (e.g. the ones that use twigs) because of the fire danger. I have had rangers come by, checking....

A fire in the Tahoe area, even in an established campground, will send up smoke and sparks. Unnecessary danger, and all our fire fighting personnel are needed for fires we have no control over.

One spark, and you've got square miles of conflagration, hundreds of homes destroyed, billions in damage. I feel confident that if the teens built any kind of fire, the local fire department would have been there in an instant.

Look at the photos of the campsites ^^^^. One spark....

I haven't used a campfire for maybe 40 years. I'll go to one if someone has one lit and I want to get warm or would like company, but I never build one myself, even in an established campground. I do this out of "leave no trace" (a single fire mars a piece of ground permanently, and animals need the woody material for survival), but the fire risk is unacceptable almost everywhere.

That's an awfully big and expensive car for a 16 year old school child to have.

I wonder if:

a) Kiely was comfortable driving it and able to handle a big vehicle like that? It's not a small car to hide either, so an accident is possible, more so if drinking or drugs were involved.

b) perhaps she came across as older that 16 and someone thought she was one of the 'young adults' there. These days a 16 year old can pretty much pass for late 20s, and Kiely certainly looks much older in the photo provided. If she said she was 26, I'd believe her.

I wonder if she went for a drive with someone and it was just him and her in her car, and the situation that started out as friendly, turned nasty when she said no or wanted to drive back or go home.

MOO.
It's AWD, and the Tahoe area gets lots of snow and blizzards.

Kiely's parents run this small hotel, The Lost Trail Lodge, 12 miles from where she was found. It's unclear if anyone was staying at the lodge on Friday, when she vanished's parents run this small hotel, The Lost Trail Lodge, 12 miles from where she was found. It's unclear if anyone was staying at the lodge on Friday, when she vanished

Kiely's family run The Lost Trail Lodge, a small hotel on the property where they live. It is around 12 miles from where she was abducted.

Thanks for this information. I google mapped the route from the campground to her home. It's twelve miles, but travel time on google is 30 minutes. I know LE mentioned the possibility of an abduction, but what about a yet undiscovered accident? There isn't always evidence indicating someone went off the road. Some of those canyons look pretty steep.

I need to correct my comment. Her cell phone is not down, it is out of service.

I don't think it is a case of calls going to voice mail. moo

When a cell number is temporarily out of service, it means that the cell phone attached to the number is unable to connect to the carrier network.

When I'm traveling in remote areas I have had a "no service" message at the top of my phone. It's not that unusual in remote areas. I always hate when it happens though. It feels kind of isolating when your traveling and couldn't call for help if you break down.
I live a few hours north of Truckee and we have only two cell carriers available in the area. It is VERY common for visitors or passers-through to discover they have no service while in the area, as @LaborDayRN points out.

However, that "no service" signal is what the phone holder sees. When someone tries to call a phone that has no local service, do they hear "that phone is out of service" or do they simply get voicemail?

Of course LE could determine the phone is out of range regardless of what callers would hear. But couldn't LE also determine last pinged location?

Question: Would a phone ping off a tower from a different carrier, that it can't get service from?

It would help to know the answers to these questions:

Was it really so odd that Kiely would leave the party at 12:30-1ish? Did most of the party goers actually spend the entire night out there?
Did she leave behind a sleeping bag, or any indication that her intent had been to spend the night there? Did the kids who spent the whole night just stay up all night long, not needing a sleeping bag?
When was her phone actually active? Did it lose service virtually the moment she left the park - very shortly after anyone last remembered seeing her?
Who realized she was missing and reported it? Was it her mother, the next day?
Why is there no media checking in at the command center, where searchers and friends have been gathered at the Truckee Rec Center?

"TRUCKEE, Calif. —The 16-year-old missing teenager who was last seen in Truckee is now being treated as an abduction case, Placer County Sheriff's Office confirmed Sunday night."\

I think it was you who mentioned caves in the park on the thread? Could you hide a car in them?

Last edited:
Alot of places, you can't have fires even with fire pits, even in established campgrounds. This has been true for decades. In the backcountry, certain cook stoves are even banned (e.g. the ones that use twigs) because of the fire danger. I have had rangers come by, checking....

A fire in the Tahoe area, even in an established campground, will send up smoke and sparks. Unnecessary danger, and all our fire fighting personnel are needed for fires we have no control over.

One spark, and you've got square miles of conflagration, hundreds of homes destroyed, billions in damage. I feel confident that if the teens built any kind of fire, the local fire department would have been there in an instant.

Look at the photos of the campsites ^^^^. One spark....

I haven't used a campfire for maybe 40 years. I'll go to one if someone has one lit and I want to get warm or would like company, but I never build one myself, even in an established campground. I do this out of "leave no trace" (a single fire mars a piece of ground permanently, and animals need the woody material for survival), but the fire risk is unacceptable almost everywhere.

People in this area usually are highly respectful on the ban on outdoor fires. It is not a problem.

Thanks for this information. I google mapped the route from the campground to her home. It's twelve miles, but travel time on google is 30 minutes. I know LE mentioned the possibility of an abduction, but what about a yet undiscovered accident? There isn't always evidence indicating someone went off the road. Some of those canyons look pretty steep.

I was thinking a map would be helpful here, thank you @Knox and it reinforces my thought that there should be water searching despite the abduction theory. There are a couple of road branch offs that lead right into the water.

MOO:

With 4 campuses attached to that Charter school and around 100 attendees at the party, it would be pretty easy for some creep to be lurking around. Don’t recognize them? Kids would assume they’d attended another campus or graduated the year prior or whatever. All they would have to do is wait to find an upset or inebriated girl to take advantage of. I’m not sure what her friend meant when she said she wasn’t in the right mindset (paraphrasing) to be driving but hopefully she wasn’t an easy target.

As for the phone out of service. I assume they could have taken the SIM card out with ease. Pretty sure it wouldn’t have service or be pinging.

I hope they find her safe.

Leaving the campground by car, turning one direction leads you to Hwy 89 and back to the family lodge, while turning the other direction directs you down onto the boat launch ramp. A car moving at a decent speed could easily enter that water and float a ways into the lake before sinking. The color of the car would make it difficult to spot underwater from the air by helicopter or boat. Unless they have put divers or used sonar on that lake, it’s still a possibility.

IMO, error by a young impaired driver is far more likely than a random abduction in the middle of the night in a remote area.

MOO:

With 4 campuses attached to that Charter school and around 100 attendees at the party, it would be pretty easy for some creep to be lurking around. Don’t recognize them? Kids would assume they’d attended another campus or graduated the year prior or whatever. All they would have to do is wait to find an upset or inebriated girl to take advantage of. I’m not sure what her friend meant when she said she wasn’t in the right mindset (paraphrasing) to be driving but hopefully she wasn’t an easy target.

As for the phone out of service. I assume they could have taken the SIM card out with ease. Pretty sure it wouldn’t have service or be pinging.

I hope they find her safe.
Not the right mindset I'm thinking would mean not sober, whether that's alcohol and/or other substances. Maybe maybe not, but with the way people are so easily judgemental, if someone isn't the "perfect" victim in any way they start getting blamed.

And IA, a huge party of teenagers? That's absolutely going to draw in predatory people, and it's not like people, let alone teens, are going to be able to pick them out of the crowd and know to stay away. Especially not if you're even slightly buzzed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
funeris antro