GUILTY CA - Lauren Key, 4, thrown off cliff, Rancho Palos Verdes, 8 Nov 2000

This is an interesting case I had not heard of.

It is pretty much inexcusable for a father to allow a 4 year old to get close enough to a cliff to fall off, but it isn't First Degree murder.

Since the defendant gets credit for time served awaiting trial, he would walk if he were convicted of manslaughter and he could very well walk if he was convicted of second degree murder. At most he would only serve about two more years. In addition, there is a serious "double jeopardy" issue and a first degree murder conviction could very well be thrown out on appeal. Common sense says "cope a plea for time served and send this guy on his way". Save the county a lot of money. The only reason I can see they aren't doing that is that The DA's office and the last judge really believe he is guilty.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/14/cameron-brown-prison-decade-no-conviction_n_4232889.html

I reviewed most of the discovery in this case and it's obviously its personal for the detectives handling the case and the reason they still shoots for a first degree murder conviction, which he likely deserves but after a handful of trials, haven't received

After all these many years and hung juries later, they should come to terms with the fact that some evidence present gives juries reasonable doubt. Little Lauren was terrified of her father and definitely had a bad premonitions of spending time with him on a steep viewpoint high above the sea. But Lauren's physical injuries do NOT correspond with her being hurled of the mountaintop (but indicates she tumbled down) and therefore, juries can go for the DA's most desired first degree murder conviction. Ultimately, he will likely go free without a second degree or manslaughter conviction, albeit after spending the last 10 years in pretrial detention.

Last report I heard from LASD county jail was that Cameron is tormented on a daily basis by staff and fellow inmates, that his personal hygiene leaves most to be desired and his long hair is mangled and unkept.

Cameron Brown 3rd Trial, Pretrial 15

Lauren Serene Key

February 5, 2014
There was a hearing in the Cameron Brown case that I was unable to attend. At the last moment, I heard that Bryan Barnes, one of the alleged shooters in the USC Chinese graduate students murders would be pleading guilty to two counts of first degree murder in exchange for the death penalty being taken off the table. After Barnes' sentencing, I did my best through sources to find out what happened at Brown's hearing.

Between the last hearing on November 15th, 2013 and today, Brown refused to speak to the court ordered psychiatrist, so no report was generated.

Judge Lomeli then ruled Brown competent to stand trial and the criminal proceedings reinstated. It's my understanding Judge Lomeli made that ruling based on the fact that defendants are presumed competent to stand trial.

I believe Brown was asked if he was still interested in representing himself. Brown said something to the effect that he hadn't thought about it. He was waiting for the outcome of today's hearing. It's my understanding that Judge Lomeli told Brown to let him know if he decides to go the route of pro per status.

Judge Lomeli also ordered Brown's former defense attorney Pat Harris to court to ensure that all discovery had been turned over to Brown's new counsel.

If there are no other bumps in the road, this case may get to trial by early summer, or most likely by late fall.

http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2014/02/cameron-brown-3rd-trial-pretrial-15.html

Thank you for the update. I think Cameron is losing his mind in Men's Central Jail. Does anyone know if Patty continue to stand by him?

I think he murdered her so I don't care if he spends another decade languishing in jail awaiting retrial after retrial.

Thank you for the update. I think Cameron is losing his mind in Men's Central Jail. Does anyone know if Patty continue to stand by him?

He may have been on the road to losing it long before going to jail. jmo

Anyone who can toss a small child, his own child, off a cliff has an evil mind and losing it should be a blessing.

copied from L.A. County Sheriff's site:

Next Court Code: S107 Next Court Date: 01/27/2015 Next Court Time: 0830 Next Court Case: BA25520601

Court Name: L A SUPERIOR COURT DEPT 107
Court Address: 210 W. TEMPLE STREET Court City: LOS ANGELESUPT

(No idea when this will ever come to trial. He has been in custody for more than 11 years.)

Pretrial hearing #20 was held on February 27th. This is a description of the hearing. No idea when this will come to trial. This is his THIRD trial, and he has been in custody since 2003 with no resolution yet.

http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.com/2015/02/cameron-brown-3rd-trial-pretrial.html

I have followed this trial since the crime happened. He threw his beautiful little daughter off a cliff and I hope this time the trial ends with him being sent to jail for life. :cow:

3rd murder trial begins for man accused of hurling daughter from cliff

For the third time, trial has begun for a father accused of leading his daughter on what prosecutors say was a "dangerous hike" in Rancho Palos Verdes 15 years ago and flinging her off a steep, jagged cliff into the ocean.

Two previous juries deadlocked over whether Cameron Brown, now 53, intentionally threw his 4-year-old daughter, Lauren, over the 120-foot cliff on Nov. 8, 2000.

In a downtown L.A. courtroom Wednesday, Brown — a former baggage handler for American Airlines who has long maintained his innocence — occasionally leaned over and whispered to his attorney, Aron Laub. When a prosecutor projected a picture of the cliff during his opening statements, Brown stared at the screen for several seconds.

Deputy Dist. Atty. Craig Hum told jurors that Brown killed his daughter to avoid paying child support and to hurt the victim's mother. The prosecutor said the couple had been embroiled in a bitter custody battle.

"Lauren didn't slip and fall," Hum said. "This man hurled the child he never wanted off that cliff and to her death.

SNIP

http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-0326-father-trial-20150326-story.html

3rd murder trial begins for man accused of hurling daughter from cliff

For the third time, trial has begun for a father accused of leading his daughter on what prosecutors say was a "dangerous hike" in Rancho Palos Verdes 15 years ago and flinging her off a steep, jagged cliff into the ocean.

Two previous juries deadlocked over whether Cameron Brown, now 53, intentionally threw his 4-year-old daughter, Lauren, over the 120-foot cliff on Nov. 8, 2000.

In a downtown L.A. courtroom Wednesday, Brown — a former baggage handler for American Airlines who has long maintained his innocence — occasionally leaned over and whispered to his attorney, Aron Laub. When a prosecutor projected a picture of the cliff during his opening statements, Brown stared at the screen for several seconds.

Deputy Dist. Atty. Craig Hum told jurors that Brown killed his daughter to avoid paying child support and to hurt the victim's mother. The prosecutor said the couple had been embroiled in a bitter custody battle.

"Lauren didn't slip and fall," Hum said. "This man hurled the child he never wanted off that cliff and to her death.

SNIP

http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-0326-father-trial-20150326-story.html

I do hope this time that the jury can render a verdict. Will this jury know that two previous trials ended in deadlock? I hope he doesn't wander out of jail with time served but I feel this may happen. It has been so long since little Lauren died. :sigh: facts, memories, ect may be clouded now by time.

http://www.lifenews.com/2015/03/26/he-tried-to-convince-his-girlfriend-to-abort-when-she-didnt-he-threw-her-daughter-off-a-cliff/

Brown had unsuccessfully tried to convince the girl’s mother to have an abortion and subsequently showed no interest in his daughter for “most of her life’’ until after her mother sought child support, the prosecutor said.

To face life in prison without the possibility of parole, the jury would have to convict Brown of first-degree murder and “find true the special circumstance allegations of murder for financial gain and murder while lying in wait.”

http://www.dailybreeze.com/general-news/20150325/third-trial-for-cameron-brown-in-daughters-palos-verdes-cliff-death

“In November of 1999, when Lauren is over 3 years old, the defendant finally gets around to meeting her,’’ Hum said, telling jurors that Brown was advised that he needed to request visitation if he wanted a reduction in the monthly child support payments of about $1,000 he had been ordered to pay.

Laub told jurors that his client “took an interest’’ in the girl and sought to have visits with her after a paternity test proved he was her father.

Third trial begins for man accused of pushing daughter off cliff

A third trial began Wednesday in the case of Cameron Brown, who prosecutors say led his young daughter on a “dangerous hike” in Rancho Palos Verdes 15 years ago and then flung her off a steep, jagged cliff and into the ocean.

Two previous juries deadlocked over whether Brown, 53, intentionally threw his 4-year-old daughter, Lauren, over the cliff on Nov. 8, 2000.

Lauren didn't slip and fall. This man hurled the child he never wanted off that cliff and to her death. - Assistant Head Deputy Dist. Atty. Craig Hum

In a downtown L.A. courtroom Wednesday, Brown furrowed his brow and blinked, occasionally whispering to his attorney. When a prosecutor projected a picture of the cliff during opening statements, Brown stared at the screen for several seconds.

SNIP

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-third-trial-cameron-brown-20150325-story.html

http://www.dailybreeze.com/general-news/20140411/man-facing-third-trial-in-daughters-cliff-death-in-rancho-palos-verdes-will-be-his-own-attorney

Man facing third trial in daughter’s cliff death in Rancho Palos Verdes will be his own attorney

A judge agreed Friday to allow a man to act as his own attorney as he awaits his third trial on charges that he killed his 4-year-old daughter, who plunged to her death from a 120-foot cliff in Rancho Palos Verdes in November 2000.

But Los Angeles Superior Court Judge George G. Lomeli warned Cameron John Brown, 52, that representing himself would be ill-advised.

omg a blast from the past! thanks paintr buddy.......i followed sprocket's every word thru both of spector's trials....good to "see" you btw :seeya:

I love Sprocket but am :blushing: to admit that I totally forgot this site. I happened upon it by accident. Nice to see/read some updates about this trial'

Nice to see you too! :loveyou: I have been bouncing between Ryan Poston, Noah Thomas and a few other threads since JA was sentenced. Where have you been?

I love Sprocket but am :blushing: to admit that I totally forgot this site. I happened upon it by accident. Nice to see/read some updates about this trial'

Nice to see you too! :loveyou: I have been bouncing between Ryan Poston, Noah Thomas and a few other threads since JA was sentenced. Where have you been?
i've been all over the boards really but mostly on the aaron hernandez case posting tweets and now it's concluded, noah thomas, and several others......i went back and quickly read this thread, i was not familiar with this case, how sad! i'm going to try and catch up on sprocket's blog if i can, 3rd trial for this guy, good grief! that poor mother :(......

that wacko in the ryan poston case, she's a piece of work huh? :scared: hope to see you for sentencing 5/11 in savannah's case.....take care paintr :loveyou:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FoxxTraxx
Back