CA CA - Los Angeles Co., WhtMale 2279UMCA, 17-21, near Mt Baldy, Mar'79

I don't see a third set of remains in NamUs so I think it might just be the two pieces of Mt. Baldy John Doe. Mt Baldy's skull and Upland's body were found within two days of each other while Mt. Baldy's body was found two months earlier so I can see how they would have counted it as three and not made the connection until later. But I do still wonder how certain they are that the head and body are the same person. You'd think that with DNA on file, they would know and note that on the case files. The torso and head weirdly have different rule-out lists as well, but all sources besides NamUs seem to be certain it's the same person. Is there maybe a legal reason they have to be listed separately? It's the same county, but since it's different towns are the two pieces of remains under different police departments? I'm definitely confused as well XD

This is an article about this UID that appeared in the June 1, 1979 Orange County Register. Originally, it sounds like they thought that the head and body were from different people.

ocr_decap_jun1_1979_zpsdbf26dd5.jpg
Do you happen to know anything about the other bodies found nearby? I don't whether these could be part of a "regular murder" (i.e. drug, gang, etc) dump or something like Kraft/Kearney/Bonin. One (already supposedly matched) murder on Kraft's scorecard was a note about a sawed off head.

That is very close to area that Lawrence Bittaker and Roy Norris dumped the bodies of four of their five known victims. Same highway, just a little closer to the city of Glendora than where this John Doe was found. Andrea Hall and Lucinda Schaffer are still up there somewhere, whatever might remain of them. But they disappeared after the date of that article.

Bittaker and Norris targeted teenaged females though, not males.

Last edited:
Is it possible that Steven Ericson may have grown up to be this Doe? He would have been the right age at the time.
Original
Original

He went missing from the same area and the jawline is exact. Maybe he ran away or was held in captivity? Here is the Doe for comparison or at least the head. Here is the table I always put down.
Steven Ericson #MP50743Mt. Baldy John Doe #UP79269 and/or #UP4410Possible?
SexMaleUnsure, Likely MaleLikely
RaceWhite/CaucasianWhite/CaucasianMatch
Hair ColorBlond/StrawberryBlond/StrawberryMatch
Eye ColorHazelUnknownPossible
Estimated D.O.D/D.L.CJune 1, 19721979Unknown/Unlikely
Estimated Age Range1919-26Match
Height5'10"5'7"-5'10"Match
Weight170lbsUnknown
Distinctive FeaturesUnknown/NoneVaccination Scar to Upper ArmUnknown/Unlikely
CircumstancesLast seen on June 1, 1972Found at Mt. Baldy. Rest of remains possibly found.Unknown
DistanceGrass Valley- Mt. Baldy477 milesPossible
So few details are available in his case that it may be possible he may have ran away? It is possible.

Is it possible that Steven Ericson may have grown up to be this Doe? He would have been the right age at the time.
Original
Original

He went missing from the same area and the jawline is exact. Maybe he ran away or was held in captivity? Here is the Doe for comparison or at least the head. Here is the table I always put down.
Steven Ericson #MP50743Mt. Baldy John Doe #UP79269 and/or #UP4410Possible?
SexMaleUnsure, Likely MaleLikely
RaceWhite/CaucasianWhite/CaucasianMatch
Hair ColorBlond/StrawberryBlond/StrawberryMatch
Eye ColorHazelUnknownPossible
Estimated D.O.D/D.L.CJune 1, 19721979Unknown/Unlikely
Estimated Age Range1919-26Match
Height5'10"5'7"-5'10"Match
Weight170lbsUnknown
Distinctive FeaturesUnknown/NoneVaccination Scar to Upper ArmUnknown/Unlikely
CircumstancesLast seen on June 1, 1972Found at Mt. Baldy. Rest of remains possibly found.Unknown
DistanceGrass Valley- Mt. Baldy477 milesPossible
So few details are available in his case that it may be possible he may have ran away? It is possible.
I think it’s possible. I’ve researched Steven’s case and could find so little. I came up with one potential match but I think yours is viable. Nothing apparent to rule it out.

No new exclusions. Still only these two listed below:

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP17575Ronald Kruska
Date of Last ContactOctober 10, 1978
StateCA
CountyLos Angeles

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP10913Rickey Enochs
Date of Last ContactJune 30, 1977
StateMO
CountyMarion
@Caring1 by any chance Ronald Kruska and Rickey Enochs are still the only exclusions?

So strange, I lived right nearby at the time but don’t remember hearing about this at all. I was young and may not have been paying attention. Glendora Ridge Road would be a good spot to dump a body; Baldy, not so much (more people around). Hoping this is solved one day.

"Body is found," San Bernardino County Sun, 25 May 1979, B4.
View attachment 385786

"Body parts do not match," San Bernardino County Sun, 26 May 1979, B1.
View attachment 385781

"Headless bodies," San Bernardino County Sun, 30 May 1979, B5.

View attachment 385782

"Dogs aid in search," San Bernardino County Sun, 1 June 1979, B4.
View attachment 385780

"Head, body may match after all," San Bernardino County Sun, 6 June 1979, B4.

View attachment 385784
I was going to ask, now that they have the technology why not dna the head and bodies but then I remembered LA county cremated remains before

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back