Still Missing CA - Michaela Garecht, 9, Hayward, 19 Nov 1988 *ARREST*

I think Sharon meant with the initial DNA testing before it was sent off for mitochondrial DNA testing, as it's still under way and we don't know the results for it, because they did a test before they sent it off that was unable to determine if it was Michaela for sure and it matched some of Sharon's DNA, which she said was common, like it matched her blood type and that kind of thing. But the initial DNA test had no matches to her father. Obviously mitochondrial DNA doesn't take into account the father because it is strictly maternal, but what about the initial one where they couldn't determine if it was Michaela? Would it be possible for the initial test to have some matches to her fathers DNA? I'm not really well educated in DNA testing, but I would've thought there would be some matches to her father in the initial test? Correct me if I'm wrong. I understand the mitochondrial one is the deal breaker though, I just found it strange it had no matches to Michaela's father, but it might not need to, I don't know. Michaela might've inherited all her mothers DNA, like blood type, etc.

Its difficult to answer your question without knowing what tests were carried out. However, if their initial testing had shown anything which excluded Michaela as the source of the bone, they wouldn't have moved on to mtDNA testing.

You're probably right, how sad. Maybe it doesn't need DNA matches to the father.

Ugh my heart drops every time I go to this thread (the URL drops down in the bar, I don't go through the forum) because I just don't want to see her thread moved to "Found Deceased" and I dread it. I said this to Sharon, Michaela feels like someone I know because of the blog, so the DNA results are making me anxious. Does anyone else feel this way?

You're probably right, how sad. Maybe it doesn't need DNA matches to the father.

Ugh my heart drops every time I go to this thread (the URL drops down in the bar, I don't go through the forum) because I just don't want to see her thread moved to "Found Deceased" and I dread it. I said this to Sharon, Michaela feels like someone I know because of the blog, so the DNA results are making me anxious. Does anyone else feel this way?

Yeah it makes me sick even thinking about it being her! I remember watching an old cold case show on the SFK and thinking at that time that Herzog might be a match. Now that it might be a reality its a nightmare!

If you watch the interrogation videos of Herzog you can see he was a man with a lot to hide.....even more than we may ever know!

Bump!

We should hear something in the next couple of weeks!

The wait is too long:/ Can only imagine what it's like for Sharon!

I'm really hoping they delay it a bit, and I have a feeling they're doing that. I don't think it would be too kind to tell her if it is Michaela around this time of year, it'd just be cruel in my opinion to destroy their happiness at a happy time of year. However, I think they should tell her after that and before new year, so they can start the new year knowing or not knowing. Granted this is if it is Michaela. If it isn't, I hope they tell her ASAP. I can only imagine the burden on her.

I'm really hoping they delay it a bit, and I have a feeling they're doing that. I don't think it would be too kind to tell her if it is Michaela around this time of year, it'd just be cruel in my opinion to destroy their happiness at a happy time of year. However, I think they should tell her after that and before new year, so they can start the new year knowing or not knowing. Granted this is if it is Michaela. If it isn't, I hope they tell her ASAP. I can only imagine the burden on her.
I get what you mean, since Christmas is Tuesday, let's not ruin it for her, but personally, I think closure is better than not knowing and having false hope. I really don't get the sense that Michaela is alive and another Jaycee Dugard.

I get what you mean, since Christmas is Tuesday, let's not ruin it for her, but personally, I think closure is better than not knowing and having false hope. I really don't get the sense that Michaela is alive and another Jaycee Dugard.

I also get the sense that Michaela is not another Jaycee, as sad as it sounds, I would love for more kids missing for a long time turn out to be Jaycee's, but I really want Sharon to get closure-perhaps closure is the best gift for the holidays.

I do get what you mean and I agree with that. It was just because it was so close to Christmas and I thought they could wait a few days until after the Christmas period to tell her. I just wouldn't want to find out my precious daughter, who has been missing for 24 years was dead after all that time on Christmas Eve. She has an enormous amount of heartache already, and I just couldn't take away a happy period from her. Maybe it's just me. *shrugs* I would feel the same way if I were in her position. I really want Michaela to be another Jaycee though, I really do. I don't know if she is though, I don't get a feeling either way, but I do have a gut feeling about this bone. If this bone is not Michaela's, whose is it though? A family in the Bay Area is going to have answers about their missing child.

How long does this testing take? I thought it'd be done by now! It's so sad it's taken this long. I was hoping Sharon would have answers before the new year, but it doesn't look that way. :(

Sharon said on her blog she's meant to receive news this week.

Yeah I saw that. Her tone has changed and I think she has prepared herself for the worst news.....though I doubt you can really understand that until its upon you.

I wish people on her blog would quit making stupid statements to her though, this is hard enough without having to respond to the village idiots out there.

Yeah I saw that. Her tone has changed and I think she has prepared herself for the worst news.....though I doubt you can really understand that until its upon you.

I wish people on her blog would quit making stupid statements to her though, this is hard enough without having to respond to the village idiots out there.

Yeah I think in this kind of situation you have to prepare yourself for the worst and if it's not the worst, take it from there. This has the potential to change her life and if it doesn't, then it will change the life of another missing child's family. Did Shermantine and Herzog travel much? It could also be a missing child from another state.

I know right? I saw all the comments and I don't know if they're just idiots or people trolling. I hope idiots because that blog doesn't deserve trolling.

It seems they have been waiting for results for so long. I can't imagine what her mom is going through.

I hope it's this week. This must be torture for Michaela's family.

My heart hurts for Sharon:/ All she needs right now is support, she is right, she doesn't need anyone to point things out to her, I'm sure she knows more of what's going on. I hope it's just one more week for her wait. I know God will be with her and Michaela<3

This is just amazing and heartbreaking at the same time. I can't imagine what Michaela's mother or any parent goes through in this situation, with all the ups and downs, false leads, remains found, etc. over the years.

I also can't get over how close they were to not even connecting this to Michaela or any other victims. Props to the mother of Joanna Hobson for sending the remains off for the further testing that led to this connection! It makes me wonder if, or how many times really, this might have happened in other cases where multiple victims were buried together.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irennnnn
Back