Still Missing CA - Michaela Garecht, 9, Hayward, 19 Nov 1988 *ARREST*

Bumping for Michaela.
The detective on the case is getting closer to solving this kidnapping, but people refuse to talk. To me if you know what happened and refuse to help, the crime is on you as well until you open up and talk. The police and FBI can protect you, you just need to tell them everything, and that needs to happen NOW!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

I really believe Phillip Garrido was the culprit here. I always believed Jaycee Lee Dugard and Michaela Garecht were abducted by the same person, well before Jaycee was found alive. The brazen manner of abduction in broad daylight in front of witnesses - tossing the child into the back of the car and speeding off - was almost identical. Garrido had been released from prison 3 months prior to Michaela Garecht abduction in 1988.

And if you look at picture of Jaycee & Michaela at the age of abduction, they look like they could be sisters. They are so similar. Sadly, if Garrido was the culprit, then Michaela is not alive anymore. Since they haven't found her, it is likely he disposed of her before abducting Dugard 2 years later.

Michaela's case is so terrifying. To be taken in broad daylight, in front of people, and never to be found. Have you ever read Michaela's moms blog? After jaycee was found, the Hayward detectives interviewed the Garridos extensively. I believe they also gave him a polygraph and he passed. Michaelas mother also walked Phillips property as they dug it up searching for clues. She wanted to be there if Michaela saw daylight for the first time in 20 years. Breaks my heart. From reading Jaycees book, Garrido showed extensive guilt towards Jaycee and I believe that if he would have done it he'd have talked about it and confessed to it as well. Sharon is convinced that Garrido was not involved. He was also a massive hoarder and they say that something of Michaelas would have been found on his property as he threw nothing away.

I am still believing that the "Speed Freak Killer" was the abductor. The sketch is haunting to me.

I am still believing that the "Speed Freak Killer" was the abductor. The sketch is haunting to me.

Unfortunately I do too. The sketch was a deadringer, it wasn't even just a resemblance. Coupled with the confession of his partner and their sick twisted ways of lying to/tormenting families, I don't know...they seem like the obvious ones.

The partner never "confessed". All he did was see the sketch and make the statement "that looks a lot like Herzog (whatever his name is)." When Shermantine was questioned after if he had heard him speak of it or confess to it he stated "I know nothing about that Hayward girl."

Most of the speed freak killers crimes could be solved if that idiot of a sheriff would get taken out of office and people with brains would start searching that property in the correct way.

I can't get the possibility of Michaela being a SFK victim out of my head. I wish they would resume searches for other remains. Even if they search every place Shermantine says and Michaela is still not there, at least other avenues can be explored and Sharon can rest on that possibility. I also have always believed Gayle Marks was a SFK victim. Breaks my heart the search stopped, because now I know her mother can never put her to rest:(

My daughter, Michaela Joy Garecht, has been missing for over 25 years, the victim of a witnessed stranger abduction. She was nine years old on November 19, 1988, when she and her best friend rode their scooters two blocks from home to the neighborhood market. They parked the scooters by the door while they went into the store, but when they came out one was not where they had left it. Michaela spotted it first, in the parking lot, and went to get it. As she bent over to pick it up, a man jumped out of the car parked next to it, and grabbed her from behind. Michaela screamed and her friend, Trina, turned to see the kidnapper throw Michaela into his car, and take off with her.

http://www.klaaskids.org/blog/?p=1516

I agree with you! It's absolutely scary how much that composite resembles Herzog. It actually resembles him so much that I will be very surprised if he had nothing to do with it. Too bad the killed himself! Now it makes me wonder if Herzog did crimes with anyone else besides Shermantine.

I don't believe Garrido had anything to do with Michaela.

I can't get the possibility of Michaela being a SFK victim out of my head. I wish they would resume searches for other remains. Even if they search every place Shermantine says and Michaela is still not there, at least other avenues can be explored and Sharon can rest on that possibility. I also have always believed Gayle Marks was a SFK victim. Breaks my heart the search stopped, because now I know her mother can never put her to rest:(

I also don't understand why they haven't continued searching the wells. If Michaela isn't there, then they can rule that out for sure but they can also bring home so many people who are victims of the SFKs. I'm guessing Gale Marks is there, along with Phillip Martin and Ruth Leamon. Why not do it for their families? It's a disgrace! I bet if it were the investigators families buried there, they would want it dug up! :banghead:

I was wondering if Michaela's friend's scooter was ever recovered or was it taken by kidnapper(s)? I have been looking for this information. I don't want to step into emailing anyone this soon in my sleuthing career. I was hoping fellow web investigators might hold the answer. Thanks.:findinglink:

Hi, Katie.
Disclaimer: Don't know if this is a reliable source. This is from a Nancy Grace interview on CNN.
From the transcript, it sounds as if the scooter was recovered. (Search on "palm" because the information is near the end of a long page.) It's stated that a palm print was recovered from the scooter but LE was uncertain whether it was the abductor's.
KW

I also don't understand why they haven't continued searching the wells. If Michaela isn't there, then they can rule that out for sure but they can also bring home so many people who are victims of the SFKs. I'm guessing Gale Marks is there, along with Phillip Martin and Ruth Leamon. Why not do it for their families? It's a disgrace! I bet if it were the investigators families buried there, they would want it dug up! :banghead:

I have felt the same way. Shermantine certainly wasn't lying about Chevy Wheeler, Joanna and the others who were recovered. I believe there are many more.

Bumping for Michaela.....

I wish the FBI would put more resources to this case. Maybe if all of law enforcement blitzed the thousands of tips they would solve this case and maybe a few others in a matter of weeks. At the very least they would make sure the animal that took her wouldn't be free.

Bump.

My step daughter lives by the market where Michaela was taken. As I was going to pick her up yesterday, I saw the little tree with ribbons on it. It just breaks your heart.
I really wish at the very least someone would come forward and say what they know. It's been so long, and I don't care what you believe about the after life ......are you willing to take the chance that if there is a God, that as you face him you are going to be held to the UN impeachable truth that you kept a mother from her child? Or would you rather meet your maker with the fact that you ended this suffering? And if Michaela is alive then your silence is an even bigger sin.

26 years!

This may already have been posted here somewhere, but in case it hasn't, I wanted TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!

You may have heard about Sheila and Katherine Lyon, who on March 25, 1975 went to Wheaton Plaza in Wheaton, Maryland and both never returned home.

SEE: "MISSING BUT NOT FORGOTTEN"; "Sheila and Katherine Lyon" FOR MORE INFO!!

Recently in February 2014, it was made known that Lloyd Lee Welch, also know as Michael Welch in some records, was named as a Person of Interest.

He worked with TRAVELING CARNIVALS THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY from the 1970's-1990's!!!

He is currently in jail doing time in Delaware for sexual offenses to girls from Delaware and other states!!

In September 2014, Richard Allen Welch, Sr. was announced as a Person of Interest as well. He is Lloyd Lee Welch's uncle. Richard Welch may have been a security guard in Maryland in the 70's as well as worked at a Giant Food grocery store.

In September and October 2014, police and investigators were led to search Taylor's Mountain in Thaxton, VA, in Bedford County Virginia.

As far as we know, the remains of Sheila and Katherine were still not found.

However, LE has said they have found A LOT OF EVIDENCE and that this crime may solve MANY OTHERS!!!

WE ARE ANXIOUSLY WAITING FOR THE OUTCOME OF A MULTI-JURISDICTIONAL HEARING OF EVIDENCE AND WITNESSES THAT TOOK PLACE RECENTLY in Bedford County, Virginia.

Police and investigators from both Virginia and Maryland have returned to Montgomery County in Maryland to review the 3 boxes of Information they have, as well as to interview witnesses again.

PLEASE CAREFULLY STUDY the FOLLOWING INFORMATION released in February 2014 by the FBI regarding Lloyd Lee Welch's whereabouts!!

I hope this will prove to be VERY HELPFUL in this tear-jerking case as well!!

PLEASE NOTE: Sheila and Katherine were 12 & 10 at the time they disappeared.

THEY TOO HAD BLOND HAIR AND BLUE EYES.
THEY TOO WENT TO THE MALL ON THE 2ND DAY OF EASTER BREAK!!!! (ANOTHER HOLIDAY BREAK for CHILDREN IN SCHOOL!!!)

March 25, 2015 will mark 40 YEARS SINCE THEY DISAPPEARED WITHOUT A TRACE!!!

HOW WONDERFUL IF BOTH OF THESE CASES CAN BE SOLVED EVER-SO-SOON, especially for their PARENTS and FAMILY MEMBERS!!!

Below is a timeline of Welch’s known whereabouts.

Date Location
January 9, 1974 Austin, Texas
March 25, 1975 Wheaton Plaza in Wheaton, Maryland
April 1, 1975
Address of 4714 Baltimore Avenue in Hyattsville, Maryland, provided to law enforcement

April 9, 1977 Takoma Park, Maryland
November 1977 Address of 1825 Main St. in Orlando, Florida, provided to law enforcemet
November 24, 1977 Montgomery County, Maryland
3/6/79 arrested in MD for driving without a license.. found by member
March 13, 1980 North Miami Beach, Florida
September 15, 1981 Hyattsville, Maryland
April 15, 1982 to September 11, 1984 Incarcerated (Maryland)
March 18, 1987 Los Angeles, California
April 27, 1987 Sioux City, Iowa
January 13, 1988 Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
February 4, 1988 Sioux City, Iowa
December 20, 1988 Horry County, South Carolina
March 17, 1989 Horry County, South Carolina
September 1992 Lockhart, South Carolina
November 16, 1992 Clover, South Carolina
May 19, 1993 Union County, South Carolina
May 31, 1994 Union County, South Carolina
June 13, 1994 Baltimore, Maryland
June 21, 1994 Address of Road 3, Box 86 in Bedford, Pennsylvania, provided to law enforcement
July 13, 1994 Address of 1800 Elmerton Avenue in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, provided for sex offender registry
1995 Prince William County, Virginia
June 1996 Address of 2242 Sussex Court in Woodbridge, Virginia, provided to law enforcement
March 1997 New Castle County, Delaware
July 1997 to Present Incarcerated (Delaware)

Welch is also believed to have spent time in New York, but the related dates are unknown.

In either the well they did search or the Calaveras County site, they found a bone belonging to a girl between 5 and 14 years old that wasn't Michaela. But it shows they had some victims who were children and young teens.

I do think Herzog was behind it, though (or more likely, both of them, since both always maintained the other did all the killing and they just helped dump the bodies). He looked so incredibly similar to the sketch, and he and Shermantine were active at the time and had other child victims. Shermantine said Herzog's sister lived in Hayward, and he never came right out and said Herzog killed her, but he did tell Scott Smith of the Stockton Record to compare Herzog to the sketch, and that one of the bodies they buried in a well was Michaela's ( http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/New-Hope-in-Michaela-Garecht-Case-138517289.html ). He hasn't given much information, but what he did give was accurate.

I wish they'd start checking the other wells on his map.

The sheriff's office wanted the whole "well" digging to go away in my opinion, because it would probably show they didn't do their job looking into all the allegations and rumors 14 years ago. Their last dig wasn't anywhere near where Wesley told them, they come up empty, and say he is a liar, and it's done. I don't know how much influence the Shermantine family have in Linden but I'm very disappointed at how this investigation ended. I wish a coalition of families would file a class action lawsuit and put a fire under their butts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whirlebird
Back