Found Deceased CA - Naya Rivera, "Glee Actress", missing from boat with son, 4, (fnd alive), Lake Piru, 9 July 2020

I understand wanting her found and closure for the family, but some of these peoples' posts just shock me. Clearly people lack knowledge on what we discuss on this message board and know about bodies in drownings and all. But wanting a citizen search or more people-- smh. Do people not understand if and when her body ascends to the top, if it's just people out there searching, they could take photos and leak it online, and cause a HUGE mess and make it even more tough for families. For example, the members of law enforcement that had photos of Kobe and the crash... some people lack common sense and a heart. I'm afraid if they open that lake back up and her body floats up, it would be a disaster for the common folk. Please leave it to those in charge. There's a guy on YouTube called Adventures with a Purpose and many viewers have reached out to him to help. He does sonar searching, diving, etc. Has brought closure to a few families recently with cars and bodies underwater.

*** EDIT: I'm referring to the tweets and people harassing the dept on Twitter

Thanks - and you just gave me another piece of data i was interested in. The little boy is approaching 5, so that is useful when analyzing his statements.

Amateur opinion and speculation
Thanks - and you just gave me another piece of data i was interested in. The little boy is approaching 5, so that is useful when analyzing his statements.

Amateur opinion and speculation
I’ll love you forever, is a children’s book written by Robert Munsch!

Kevin and the rest of the cast should post a tweet or something. I have also noticed that Ryan Dorsey her ex-husband hasn't tweeted or posted anything on his Instagram page.
Her ex is at the scene! As evidenced by the Daily Mail. He looks distraught along with the other family members, so I am sure is not really concerned about social media at the moment.

Does anyone else wonder if someone followed her? She's not exactly nobody, she's very famous and attractive, and it wouldn't be the first time something started out looking like an accident and ended up being foul play. Is there anything that clearly rules it out?
That's a valid question for sure. I get the impression it is purely an accident, but like you mention, who knows yet! I do think it is an odd situation for a young mother to go on a boat with a toddler alone, and it didn't look like many people were around i.e. L.A. beach waters. But according to news reports, she often went to that lake as a peaceful place to go to, so it sounds like she had experience with boats. Tragic!

Her ex is at the scene! As evidenced by the Daily Mail. He looks distraught along with the other family members, so I am sure is not really concerned about social media at the moment.
I posted this message yesterday before knowing about the pictures and that Ryan was there. So, now knowing this i regret posting my earlier post

12:32 PM PT -- According to reports, Ventura County's search for Naya will continue on a day-to-day basis, but not at the same intensity it's been at these past few days. Sonar scans of the lake are said to be completed by end of day Sunday.

Naya Rivera Search Will Include Cabins on Lake Piru, Intensity Lessens

Wow sonar search will conclude end of today Sunday. I can’t believe the side sonar would be completed in only a few days that lake is big. That’s disappointing. Unless her body surfaces and without the use of sonar anymore that will be her underwater grave unless she’s alive somewhere. Highly unlikely but there’s always hope.
I too am surprised that the sonar scans may be all but completed! Surely they couldn't scan most of that side of the lake by now?! I would think that would be the last thing to be discontinued! I wonder how long similar searches continue for in general?

I understand wanting her found and closure for the family, but some of these peoples' posts just shock me. Clearly people lack knowledge on what we discuss on this message board and know about bodies in drownings and all. But wanting a citizen search or more people-- smh. Do people not understand if and when her body ascends to the top, if it's just people out there searching, they could take photos and leak it online, and cause a HUGE mess and make it even more tough for families. For example, the members of law enforcement that had photos of Kobe and the crash... some people lack common sense and a heart. I'm afraid if they open that lake back up and her body floats up, it would be a disaster for the common folk. Please leave it to those in charge. There's a guy on YouTube called Adventures with a Purpose and many viewers have reached out to him to help. He does sonar searching, diving, etc. Has brought closure to a few families recently with cars and bodies underwater.

*** EDIT: I'm referring to the tweets and people harassing the dept on Twitter
Good points. I guess when the official search is over this Adventures guy could have free rein to help with the search, maybe with the family's blessing, if she isn't found by LE.

Lot's of good new info in this article:

Authorities used a photo that Naya Rivera took of her son, Josey, shortly before she went missing to help them determine where to start searching for her in a California lake.

Naya Rivera Missing After Boating With Son Josey on Lake Piru: Everything We Know
“There was a picture sent to a family member that showed the boy on the boat by a cove,” Robert Inglis of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office Search & Rescue Team told Us Weekly in an exclusive interview. “We found where that cove was.”

A timestamp on the photo revealed that the pic was taken 90 minutes to two hours before the 4-year-old was found alone on the pontoon boat on Wednesday, July 8, half a mile from the shore of Lake Piru, with no sign of the Glee actress, 33.

Inglis explained that the area where the photo was taken and the spot where the boat was found were starting points for authorities before the search was expanded. “We did send our dive members to those two locations and searched those extensively,” he told Us, adding that in a lot of cases there are witnesses “who see someone jumping off a boat so we know which area to search and we can find the body more quickly. In this case, it really could be the whole lake. There are a lot of coves that have to be searched.”

Sheriff's Department Diver Says He's 'Confident' Naya Rivera's Body Will Be Found

From the article I posted above this is the divers theory of what happened which I'm pretty sure people on WS theorized too.

“What I suspect is that the winds kicked up,” he said. “Those pontoon boats are very light, and when you push them, it can get away from you. She might’ve tried to swim after the boat. But that’s all speculation. Once we do locate her, that’ll answer a lot more questions.”

I grew up on a lake in WA state that is 50 miles long and 1500 ft deep, super clear water.
As a single mom, there has been plenty of times that I’ve taken my son on a boat and on a Jetski alone. And we’ve jumped in and swam! Apparently, only couples can boat?? Or I have to wait until a friend or grandparent can go?? No, it’s fine for a single parent to take their child alone on a lake.

I grew up on a lake in WA state that is 50 miles long and 1500 ft deep, super clear water.
As a single mom, there has been plenty of times that I’ve taken my son on a boat and on a Jetski alone. And we’ve jumped in and swam! Apparently, only couples can boat?? Or I have to wait until a friend or grandparent can go?? No, it’s fine for a single parent to take their child alone on a lake.

I assume you would both wear life jackets. I'm just saying that personally I would not feel comfortable enough to go out in a boat in deeper water with a young child, particularly since I am not a strong swimmer. I would feel better doing so from shore in shallow water.

Are their other ways to launch a boat around the lake that they wouldn’t know about. She a very beautiful woman I just don’t know there are a lot of sexual predators and stalkers here in CA. It’s strange that her 4 yr old boy was sleeping and not wailing My boys are grown now but at that age if I wasn’t in their site they would have been panicked and been crying hard out on a big scary lake alone. I don’t know if everything a four year old says is completely accurate and I would not completely depend on it. Sometimes stories from little tykes aren’t always correct. I was googling different side sonar equipment for locating bodies. Their are some very sophisticated $200,000 systems that are used. They one I saw they were using weren’t near as sophisticated as the others. Divers seem useless as you can’t see much around you which sucks. I think all avenues should be searched. I still feel there could have been foul play.

Im sure LE and the searchers are doing the best they can with what they have.

They have interviewed her son, who was on the boat with her, and was able to provide them with some knowledge and insight into what happened(linked earlier in thread.).

They have analyzed the cell phone photo she sent to a family member while on the boat at the lake and determined where on the lake she was when that photo was taken(linked earlier in the thread).

I'm sure that they are using the best equipment they can afford, with their often-times limited budgets. It's a shame they probably can't afford the $200,000 systems.

It's a shame you think the divers are "useless". They are risking their lives in dangerous conditions to find her body so her family can have closure.

All IMO.

ETA: The searchers numbered over 80 and were from multiple counties (linked earlier in thread). They even RE- checked cabins on shore to appease posters on social media sites, using valuable resources/personnel who could've been used in other ways/locations to locate NR. IMO.

Last edited:
Lot's of good new info in this article:

Authorities used a photo that Naya Rivera took of her son, Josey, shortly before she went missing to help them determine where to start searching for her in a California lake.

Naya Rivera Missing After Boating With Son Josey on Lake Piru: Everything We Know
“There was a picture sent to a family member that showed the boy on the boat by a cove,” Robert Inglis of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office Search & Rescue Team told Us Weekly in an exclusive interview. “We found where that cove was.”

A timestamp on the photo revealed that the pic was taken 90 minutes to two hours before the 4-year-old was found alone on the pontoon boat on Wednesday, July 8, half a mile from the shore of Lake Piru, with no sign of the Glee actress, 33.

Inglis explained that the area where the photo was taken and the spot where the boat was found were starting points for authorities before the search was expanded. “We did send our dive members to those two locations and searched those extensively,” he told Us, adding that in a lot of cases there are witnesses “who see someone jumping off a boat so we know which area to search and we can find the body more quickly. In this case, it really could be the whole lake. There are a lot of coves that have to be searched.”

Sheriff's Department Diver Says He's 'Confident' Naya Rivera's Body Will Be Found
I can't find this photo, there was a link?

bc56VGe__normal.jpg
Robert Kovacik @RobertNBCLA 10m
#NayaRivera: The search for @NayaRivera has ended this Sunday evening on #LakePiru with no new developments, per @VENTURASHERIFF. Another search of shoreline cabins, outbuildings, and the pumphouse yielded nothing. The mission resumes Monday morning. #FindNaya

This lake is anything but clear. Deep, sticky, muddy bottom, silt drifting on top of that, and tons of underwater obstacles (plant life, rocks). Also, except near the marina, most of it plunges deep right from the shore and not easy to scramble out on the far side.

That's why something like 9 (now 10) people have drowned there since around 1994. I guess that doesn't sound like a lot, but it's not close to anything and only about 3000 residents in the area. Tiny marina, really. It's very quiet.

Other parents have drowned there, trying to save a child.

The Tragic History of Lake Piru, Where Naya Rivera Went Missing.

I guess I was off by a little - 12 drownings in 23 years, not counting this tragedy. But the murkiness of the water seems to me to be a big problem.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfdvjitrdjj634754gxdd
Back