Identified! CA - Out-of-town family finds unidentified body in freezer of home they were staying at - Dec 23, 2023 - Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones

Clearsky

Reaction score

SAN DIEGO — San Diego Police are investigating a suspicious death in Allied Gardens after a family visiting from out-of-town discovered a body in a freezer.

Believed to be female.
In a news release, San Diego police said they were called to a home on the 4900 block of Zion Avenue shortly before noon Friday. There, they were met by “out-of-town family members” who allegedly made a grisly discovery: the remains of a dead person “inside of a chest freezer.” Because of the condition of the body, police said they were initially unable to determine if the person was killed before being placed in the freezer.

Believed to be female.

In a news release, San Diego police said they were called to a home on the 4900 block of Zion Avenue shortly before noon Friday. There, they were met by “out-of-town family members” who allegedly made a grisly discovery: the remains of a dead person “inside of a chest freezer.” Because of the condition of the body, police said they were initially unable to determine if the person was killed before being placed in the freezer.

Female / San Diego
I think of Larry Millete’s missing freezer…

IMG_7164.jpeg
MOO

Last edited:
No details such as age or race could be confirmed, but the body appears to be that of a female. The freezer was not locked or otherwise secured.

No details such as age or race could be confirmed, but the body appears to be that of a female. The freezer was not locked or otherwise secured.
New Story. Nothing New. Out-of-town family members find dead body in home freezer

One of the stories did say the freezer was inside the house.

However, this is the most decidedly "not going there" lack of coverage - even at Christmas - I've ever seen for an event.

48 hours - or close. NO! Bad math. Closer to 72 hours. Body reported before noon on Friday. 24 hours on Saturday, 48 and Sunday and 72 NOW -- Noon Monday or close now. Camera crew(s) has been out and talked to at least two neighbors.

Did no one think to ask if anyone was known to live in the house?
When the out-of-town guests showed up, was everyone accounted for?

Or had Aunt Sally vanished and it's possible the woman in the freezer will be Aunt Sally? Or do they have one body and 4 missing?

Maybe no one had lived in the house for years, since the owner died and was sensibly buried. Relatives had come into town to decide what to do with the property and discovered this nightmarish mystery. Body could be anyone from anywhere. Person stashing it had only to know the house was empty.

But, hey San Diego journalists -- even a young and inexperienced Nancy Drew would have uncovered more in this time than YOU have. No hungry journalists in San Diego? How about California? Why is the coverage on this so lacking? It has the possibilities of developing into a massive story - or fizzling completely. But you won't know 'til you dig in.

Last edited:
A NEW STORY!
Lots of extra words.
Not a single extra detail.

This is a very strange story. I am just going to guess that somehow the owner doesn't know anything. Also going to guess she was placed there, and it's not an accident.

At the same time, who would bother to "borrow" someone's freezer for such a purpose and why?

And the poor victim. Let's not let the mystery overshadow her. She matters. Something criminal happened to her.

Just my opinions only.

Just when I had convinced myself that when a body jumps out at me (figuratively) from a surprise location more than once a day, this is mere sleight of hand from too much imagination and WS…..voilà you go visiting, kids, panettone, hooch ‘n’ all, and for real there’s a body rigor-mortised into the freezer.

Most importantly….who goes visiting and promptly pokes around in the host’s freezer? That’s just rude. Where are their holiday manners? Any clues there?

Just when I had convinced myself that when a body jumps out at me (figuratively) from a surprise location more than once a day, this is mere sleight of hand from too much imagination and WS…..voilà you go visiting, kids, panettone, hooch ‘n’ all, and for real there’s a body rigor-mortised into the freezer.

Most importantly….who goes visiting and promptly pokes around in the host’s freezer? That’s just rude. Where are their holiday manners? Any clues there?
In terms of guests poking around the freezer I had two thoughts.
First, a breastfeeding mom who might have to freeze excess pumped milk.
Second, they are thoughtful guests who bought groceries.

I think it's a rare human being that doesn't snoop at least a little. Bathroom cabinets, especially.

But I think it more likely the common use fridge/freezer was full, so someone took the extra stuff to that extra freezer, and there goes the holidays.

Interested to hear the explanation for this one. 'It was in there when I bought it' isn't going to cut it...

MIO

My first guess is that this person died of natural causes, but her/his spouse hid the body and continued to collect his/her social security and/or pension checks.
But then surely everyone would be 'where's Grandma at?' long before anyone started digging through the whitegoods.

And if extended family was in on the scam, they wouldn't be surprised and would have kept it quiet, not called the cops.

MOO

When I saw the subject line of this thread, my first thought was that these were AirBNB or VRBO guests. And that experience would have TOTALLY and PERMANENTLY CURED ME from ever staying in a non-hotel rental again. Perhaps it’s better that it was out of town family, at least they probably have good leads and a sense of who this person might be?!

I'm curious if the out-of-towners were at the property by themselves, or if the homeowner was on-site.

And if they were there, would you first confront your relative, or would you just secretly call the police?

My first thought, too - peak Airbnb? Living near some Airbnbs owned by out-of-state absentee investors, I see just how little oversight and care there can be of the houses. The only person who ever enters the house between guests is a short visit from a cleaner who appears to do the minimum and takes off.

Maybe I missed it, but did anything confirm that it’s not a short-term rental situation? JMO, the way the articles were written only said that the people were visiting family from out of town, which doesn’t necessarily mean they were staying in their relatives’ house. (A body in the freezer seems like something you wouldn’t overlook if you were sprucing the house up before having company stay with you, so imo a short-term rental situation would almost make more sense in this weird situation?)

It looks like there are some Airbnbs in that approximate area of Allied Gardens, but the map is intentionally vague. Not to mention that the articles show photos of at least two different houses on that street…

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back