CA CA - Rashell Ward, 14, Red Bluff, 14 Mar 1983

I’ve been doing some research and working to compile some articles about Rashell’s murder, events and deaths that happened in Red Bluff right around Rashell’s death in 1983, and the various investigations into former Sherrif RK of Tehema County (County Red Bluff is in) who later became a Chairman for the California board of prison terms. There’s some things that I’ve learned that I’m not at liberty to post here right now, but I have attached some articles that I’ve found to this post. Although some of the articles may seem unrelated, many of the people who were murdered that are mentioned in the attached articles have been rumored to have been connected to Sherrif RK and the crime ring in Red Bluff.
The bombshell article from 1985 alledging a link between Michael Britt’s murder (still unsolved, but good luck finding anything on it) and Rashell’s murder, and accusing RK of ordering both their deaths is the most interesting of all, in my opinion.
One man’s death that is not mentioned in any of the articles I’ve attached is Charles L Cobb. Interestingly, Charlie was the Red Bluff rancher the articles mention Sherrif RK helping out and giving honorary Sherrif status and LE decals for his plane, even after Charlie was charged with running a drug operation off his ranch. Charlie died mysteriously in a boating accident in a nearby Lake Shasta in June of 1984.

Maybe this is all nothing but a big conspiracy theory, but it’s very curious why so many people allegedly associated with Sherrif RK, and who could arguably have become witnesseses against him in the various investigations, began dropping like flies. Why so many investigations into RK, and why were the rumors of him being involved in running an underage *advertiser censored* and sex trafficking ring so persistent and enduring? Was he really just an innocent man with vicious enemies, or was there truth to all those rumors?
If you can’t tell, this case occupies a lot of space in my brain right now lol.

Would it be possible for the family to go directly to the Ca Attorney General, since chances are not likely that this Sheriff’s Department will do a DNA test?

Apparently my brain was a little fried from hours of research when I posted on here last. I made the mistake of saying that the Keddie Cabin murders happened 1 month after Rashell's death in March of 1983, when the Keddie murders actually occurred in April of 1981, 2 years before Rashell's death. Dmac (@kedd ?), a passionate insider on the Keddie Cabin murders, would have ribbed me out if they came across that lol.

While I'm correcting myself, I also noticed that in the title of this thread I accidentally listed Rashell's death as March 14th, 1983 when I meant to put March 3rd, 1983. Apologies for the errors.

And yes @Light333 , I agree that the Tehema County Sherrif's Dept may be limited in what they're willing to do for this case. I've been following the official Tehema County Law Enforcement Facebook page lately and they have been posting a ton about how tight their budget is and how they don't have enough funding to have competitive wages to hire officers and detectives. I guess they only have like one or two Detectives and a skeleton crew for their Law Enforcement department and they're pretty desperate. I'm afraid that when the Ward family meets with the detective assigned to Rashell's case, even if the police are no longer allegedly corrupt there they're not even going to have the time, staff, or money to pursue her case properly or run the DNA test.

That is so disappointing. After 36 years there must be something that could be done. Is there a private company that could obtain the seamen and test it. How much would that cost?

I agree with @Light333 about going to the California Attorney General with information if the TCSO isn't trusted or won't act.

Another possible idea would be to connect with the Tehama County Grand Jury. Though going past them to state level seems even a better idea. The grand jury might be limited to looking into current corruption only, I'm not sure.

Or what about an investigative news organization? Not just local, seems like this would be of statewide interest.

Woah. This thread is very interesting. Condolences to the family and cheers to those who are finding it in themselves to speak up! It’s never to late for closure or some justice for the family. You are doing the right thing sharing whatever you know.

I agree with @Light333 about going to the California Attorney General with information if the TCSO isn't trusted or won't act.

Another possible idea would be to connect with the Tehama County Grand Jury. Though going past them to state level seems even a better idea. The grand jury might be limited to looking into current corruption only, I'm not sure.

Or what about an investigative news organization? Not just local, seems like this would be of statewide interest.

Tehama Grand Jury knew what was going on and what happened
Red Bluff Abuzz Over Grand Jury Report on Crime, Murder, Drugs

It looks like the 1986-1987 GJ did the right thing by passing information to the FBI who then did nothing? That's horrible.

In my previous post I was thinking it being taken to the current GJ, but since they would be turning their findings over to the local system which has a history of coverup, I do think state-level or media would bring a better outcome.

<modsnip: quoted post removed>
This article from the Austin American Statesman from December 1983 says that the rancher who owned the land where she was found observed a brown car driving away, and that she was clothed in jeans and a blouse, found lying on a dirt road, and her hands were bound in front of her with tape.

Rashell Ward -Henry Lee Lucas Article - Newspapers.com

Last edited by a moderator:
@ravvie I believe all of that is true, except the whole brown car thing. I call BS on that rancher who another article reveals was also a Reserve Deputy. That associates him with the Tehama County Sherrif’s office, who is highly suspected as being involved in the murder. I continue to wonder if that rancher was actually Charles Cobb, a rancher and drug dealer friend of Koenig. Did he make up a story about finding her body in order to help his buddy Sheriff RK? In an article about Sheriff RK and Cobb’s odd relationship it mentions that RK gave Cobb an “honorary Sheriff’s identification.” Could this mean that Cobb could have been made a reserve deputy?

<modsnip>

Attachments

• 1B620889-FE5C-4399-9B71-4C9F5A2B12CA.jpeg
    1B620889-FE5C-4399-9B71-4C9F5A2B12CA.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 29
  • C9A704F9-CC1A-4C26-9F6F-F10144654789.jpeg
    C9A704F9-CC1A-4C26-9F6F-F10144654789.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
This article from the Austin American Statesman from December 1983 says that the rancher who owned the land where she was found observed a brown car driving away, and that she was clothed in jeans and a blouse, found lying on a dirt road, and her hands were bound in front of her with tape.

Rashell Ward -Henry Lee Lucas Article - Newspapers.com
I have always wondered why the name of the rancher who found her body was never mentioned in any of the articles. I wonder if Rashell ‘s mother got a copy of the police report.

After 36 years is it not possible to use the legal system to force the release of the investigation results? I'm thinking of the family of the Oakland County Child Killer's victim who obtained information in this fashion.

I have wondered if after thirty-six years, the Sheriff ‘s Department might release the material that contains DNA to the family if they have the means to test it and compare it genetically to a suspect. Are there people who do this testing professionally, and how expensive is it.

After 36 years is it not possible to use the legal system to force the release of the investigation results? I'm thinking of the family of the Oakland County Child Killer's victim who obtained information in this fashion.

Well, if the Sheriff's office is in charge, and the former Sheriff actually did the deed, I don't see them cooperating. My guess is the family is going to have to go to State politicians to get the Attorney General's Office to take a look.

Bound & gagged- shot execution style doesn’t seem like a serial killer or predator IMO. Seems like a very personal “pay-back” murder. Was she involved with any shady characters? 14. So sad. MOO

Are there any visual aids about this crime? Such as the house she lived in, the school, the path she normally walked etc. Photos or videos from that time. Anything to view to go back in time

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nunyabiznazz
Back