CA CA - Renee, 5, & Ronique 'Pepper' Smith, 3, Gardena, 1973

She said that she was a waitress, and that she had been a waitress her entire life. I believe her. I think its a fantastic story and I am happy for all of them.

What makes you think he was her pimp?

That's a quote from the story, not said by FC.

Jheri said she "had problems". What??? Drugs? Why didn't she look for her kids?? Shirley took at least 3 of them from her.

What struck me is that Rhonda has been looking for this "love" she knew she had had but was missing, but now she finds the loving parents and one of them is terminally ill and she went back to CA for school and will come back to Ohio later???? Mom might not be there by that time. I wonder how long she thinks she can wait. (Or doesn't it say that Bobbie Christie has "terminal" cancer--maybe I'd better check that out.) ETA It says she's "very ill" with lung cancer, doesn't say "terminal".

I so confused on this one with Rhonda...I like to see it again. But I really think that Shirley was the real mom or bio grandma. JMO I still don't understand why Gloria involved?

I have many questions after watching this case. Both girls seem to be strong and I wish the best for both of them. I still feel that Dateline only touch the surface of the real story.

I also felt that Shirley was the bio mom.

Dateline glossed over conflicting detials regarding the timing of everything... Bob and Bobbi claimed they had Rhonda since she was 3 months. Pictures shown of the 3 kids prove otherwise. If I had to draw a conclusion, Shirley and Jheri knew eatchother through shady terms. These were not good people. Im inclined to believe they were both working the streets to some capacity. Jheri would take the kids to various places during the early years. Bob and Bobbi watched Rhonda specifically for those first few years but Shirley would take her back to where Jheri could see her on occassion. Bob and Bobbi knew what was going on and wanted to help though it was illegal to ultimately adopt Rhonda when they knew her true mother (though she was unfit, it was still illegal). Reminds me of the recent movie "Gone Baby Gone"... read the plot to get a better understanding for what I think was really happening... This is why the 3 kids still have reservations about Jheri - not quite the victim as she claimed to be but seems to be trying to redeem herself now, so Ill give her credit.

This was the best story and I focused on the ending. All three siblings reunited. It made me cry and I'm just not a cryer. Well, I seem to be of late so maybe I'm just changing and becoming softer hearted.

It made me happy after watching the murder trial of a 2 yr old that day. Good show.

Ok, reading more and watching ALL the Dateline videos, I see now that Shirley was just a friend (with friends like that you sure don't need enemies, right?)
and I am so glad for all four of them that they found their bio families. Let's just say without revealing too much personal stuff that SOMETIMES it may not be the best thing to find your "roots". :worms: *composes self and continues*

:heartbeat: My heart goes out to ALL of them, except for Shirley. :razz: :liar:
I can imagine the rough time Ray had in foster care back in the day. I am glad
Renee got married, and I wish the best life ever for Rhonda and Milan. Hopefully Bobbi can have a few more happy years with them, bless her heart. I mean that the sincere way, not the Southern version of "bless her heart", KWIM?

Lots of twists and turns in this story! I'm sort of confused!

I caught this on a repeat last night. When they showed the picture of the purported bio-dad, he looked like a pirnp straight out of a 70s blaxploitation movie. And reading about how sketchy Jheri/Jerry's past is, I think Dateline overlooked A LOT to show this story with the happy ending.

No info on the bio-dad in the updated program. Wonder if he's still living.

I didn't realize at the time that this special is on youtube in six parts. In case anyone hasn't seen it, I've cued it here where it briefly shows a pic of the bio-dad. He also shows up earlier.

I caught this on a repeat last night. When they showed the picture of the purported bio-dad, he looked like a pirnp straight out of a 70s blaxploitation movie. And reading about how sketchy Jheri/Jerry's past is, I think Dateline overlooked A LOT to show this story with the happy ending.

No info on the bio-dad in the updated program. Wonder if he's still living.

in part 5 at about 1:42, it says that bio-dad was "long-since dead" when Jolene first spoke to Gloria Alred

Now *that* confuses me. :banghead: Why would she have to adopt her own biological child even if they were separated for 40 years??? Where is Bobbi now, Where is Rhonda/Pepper's great love for Bob and Bobbi???
This is a strange story.

possibly so Rhonda/Pepper/Ronique could get some documentation faster? idrk - just a guess since all the previous documentation she was able to get wasn't her real name ...

I watched this story last night on 48 Hours and was so happy to see all of them together finally.

Just another observation, as I saw this again last night: When Renee breaks down after the reunion with the Jheri, sobbing hysterically, Jheri says something like "The truth will come out." Made me think that was a coded message, "Yeah, there's a lot more to it, but I'm not ready to talk about."
Both the adopted parents and Jheri mentioned going to the police to find out about the missing children. I wonder if after 40 years there's some record of that actually having happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ammereignw
Back