CA CA - Rose Cole, 16, Oakland, 1972 - #2

According to page 20 of this timeline of Ted Bundy's whereabouts, he was in San Francisco during June 1973, only a ride across the bay from where Rose was last seen in Oakland the summer of 1973.
http://www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com/docs/Bundy_Multiagency_Team_Report.pdf

Actually, dogperson, though the original document read page 20, the information you were referring to is on page 22 of the PDF. Even so, you might be on something here.

Rose admitted in a letter that she was a hitchhiker in Marin County. A lot of young people traveled like that back then. There is no reason to suppose that she might not have run into trouble while doing this.

Also, I found the following quote online:

Investigators think there is a chance the murderer was serial killer Ted Bundy, and they are devoting new efforts to try to prove it. Bundy was executed in 1989 after being convicted of murdering two women and a 12-year-old girl in Florida. Before he died, he confessed to raping and killing at least 27 other women throughout the West, including at least one unidentified victim in California.​

SOURCE: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Ted-Bundy-a-suspect-in-Sonoma-County-cold-cases-2355670.php

And I found further information here: Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if Ted Bundy stayed at the Mark Hopkins Hotel between June 13-15, 1973, there is a chance---albeit difficult to prove---that Rose was close by around the same time!

Of course, if Rose was a victim of foul play in 1973 or thereabouts, that means that Jesse Cole's stepdaughter might be mistaken as to when Rose tried to call home.

So....is it still possible for law enforcement to run a DNA test on this unidentified victim? If nothing else, a positive match might bring her family some closure.

What's strange about the unidentified California victim is that I can't find any reference to whether LE actually had a UID, or whether Ted couldn't give them an identity. He was known to have picked up at least 2 hitchhikers in other states without knowing their names or being able to give a very good description of them or location of their remains, so they are still unknown. Lately there has been more mention of him being tied to the Santa Rosa Hitchhiker murders, although personally I think their causes of death don't really match his known MO, but this would have been in his early days and maybe he tried a variety of methods back then. One of the Santa Rosa victims is unidentified but so far I haven't been able to find any stats on her to see if they match with Rose. She was found in 1979 but I am unsure when she was killed.

What's strange about the unidentified California victim is that I can't find any reference to whether LE actually had a UID, or whether Ted couldn't give them an identity. He was known to have picked up at least 2 hitchhikers in other states without knowing their names or being able to give a very good description of them or location of their remains, so they are still unknown. Lately there has been more mention of him being tied to the Santa Rosa Hitchhiker murders, although personally I think their causes of death don't really match his known MO, but this would have been in his early days and maybe he tried a variety of methods back then. One of the Santa Rosa victims is unidentified but so far I haven't been able to find any stats on her to see if they match with Rose. She was found in 1979 but I am unsure when she was killed.

You might want to start with the Jane Doe mentioned in this website:

http://www.santarosahitchhikermurders.com/articles.html

Here are more concrete details:

Unidentified remains

On July 6, 1979, skeletal remains were found in a ravine off Calistoga Road approximately one hundred yards from where the body of Kursa had been recovered seven years earlier. Due to the age of the remains, authorities initially believed them to be those of Jeannette Kamahele until a comparison of dental records later proved negative. The victim had been hogtied and her arm fractured around the time of her murder but there was no other evidence to establish a cause of death. It was determined that the unidentified victim was approximately 19 years old, wore contact lenses, had red or auburn hair and at one time had broken a rib which was healed by the time of the murder.​

SOURCE: Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The last body was found in July 1979. It has never been identified, but forensics tests indicate she could have been 19 years old with red or auburn hair. She wore contact lenses.

SOURCE: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110728/articles/110729434#page=0

Victim #8

Name: Jane Doe

Date body was found: July 2nd, 1979

Location of the body: found about 100 yards from the location where Lori Kursa was found on Calistoga Road in the 2000 block of that street.

Cause of Death: Unknown

Notes: Jane Doe was originally determined not to have been the missing Jeanette Kamahele. But as of October 2009 DNA testing was being done to make sure.​

SOURCE: http://santarosahitchhikermurders.com/jane_doe.html

NOTE: The official death certificate and related articles are included with this last source.

Possible gravesite:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=110648173

Possible related victim:

http://ukiah.crimeshadows.com/female.htm

I believe that, based on the physical description given here, these unidentified remains may not be Rose, unless, of course, she dramatically changed her appearance.

I'm glad to see Rose's case is active again. I emailed Yanette to see if she is still interested in locating Rose. I don't know if it's still a valid email address.

I was going through some emails related to the case and thought I'd repost this one to refresh our memories about some things. This email is in response to an email from Sue Richardson, a Synanon teacher during the years Rose was there. She didn't provide any valuable information.

Hi Sue, thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding this missing person. The information I have from her family is that Rose Cole of Flint MI was sent by the court in Flint, to Synanon in Oakland CA. She allegedly ran away from home and experimented with drugs.
She was sent there some time in 1972 when she was 15. Her family received letters in October, November and December of 1972 while Rose was at Synanon. One letter referred to a visit to Tomales Bay and an interview for a possible transfer, She said it was nice to visit but she stayed in Oakland. A girl named Ruth went with her. She mentioned a visit by "Buckwheat". Her letters were very sad and she sounded as though it had been drilled into her mind that she was 'bad' or worthless.

She sent a final letter that was written on her birthday- December, 23 1972 but it wasn't postmarked until February 1973. Her sister in law (who is conducting the search on behalf of Rose's siblings-parents are deceased) stated that Rose wrote a letter saying she ran away from Synanon. I have read the letter dated 12-23-72 and it speaks of walking the streets, feeling alone and unloved, however it also states that "it's been almost a lousy stinking year" (since she's been there)-I took that to mean she was still in Synanon. I have read that some Synanon members earned money for the Foundation by soliciting goods (street peddlers) and I wonder if this is what Rose was referring to when she was walking the streets. Nowhere in the letter did it specify that she ran away. She also said that her face looked like a door hit her and she was to blame. She said that she was "walking like momma" and still hasn't gotten her strength back.

I have read numerous articles alleging abuse in Synanon and it's affiliates . Of course you would know better than I, but I thought maybe Rose attempted to run away and was punished by a beating for disobedience.

After that correspondence Rose was never heard from by her family. A court document has been located dated in 1974. It is a petition to dismiss charges or something to that effect, basically stating that Rose was no longer under the authority of the court. The form appears to be a standard court form that states the child and a guardian appeared in court, Her family has no knowledge if that court appearance. Neither of her parents attended any such court date.

The attached picture was the last picture of Rose before she was sent to California. Please feel free to post any of this info on any site you believe may lead to Rose's whereabouts. If you have any information or ideas of where to search, please contact her sister in law, Yanette at XXXXX@yahoo.com

Thank you for your assistance

ROSE LENA COLE
Flint, MI
b/d 12/23/1956
Last known whereabouts-Synanon Foundation, Oakland CA 12/23/72

7a07.jpg

Your email is a very good summary of Rose's story and useful too.

I hope Yannette will reconsider her long absence and rejoin the search. She could have some helpful advice or information that might ultimately prove invaluable. For instance, Rose's letters may be the best clues we have for what she was doing at the time and where she was going. I wish someone would repost them.

For now the candle of hope remains burning.

Valmont1905, thanks for the info you found about the UID. It doesn't sound like this is Rose. I still think lots of things are more likely than Ted Bundy, or the Hitchhiker Murderer, but in CA during those years a lot of killers were operating.

The following is not my own doing, but I feel it warrants revisiting. Real credit should go to iNTERESTEDWOMAN and Pink Panther:

On 08-03-2007, iNTERESTEDWOMAN posted what is believed to be the last known photograph of Rose, which you can see at the following link:

Later on 03-18-2010, Pink Panther followed up with one of the unidentified pre-1979 photos taken by convicted serial killer, Rodney Alcala. In particular, the following image here looks like a very close match:

Here is a second slightly different image:

Both of the latter two might very well be a sixteen-year-old girl.

Rodney Alcala has been placed in the Bay Area, albeit in 1977. Still, this may not have been his first visit:

In March 2011 investigators in Marin County, north of San Francisco, announced that they were "confident" that Alcala was responsible for the 1977 murder of 19-year-old Pamela Jean Lambson, who disappeared after making a trip to Fisherman's Wharf to meet a man who had offered to photograph her. Her battered, naked body was subsequently found in Marin County near a hiking trail. With no fingerprints or usable DNA, charges are unlikely to be filed, but police claimed that there is sufficient evidence to convince them that Alcala committed the crime.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Alcala#San_Francisco

Now, I don't know for certain if the girls are, in fact, the same person. Nor do I know if this theory has been debunked elsewhere---if it has, please feel free to point it out! However, I feel not much attention has been paid to these photos and I'm wondering if there could be a possible match.

Note - Some of the girls in Alcala's photos have already been identified and not everyone pictured was a murder victim. Some survive to this day.

Has anyone submitted a potential match for Rose and the unidentified girl in the Alcala photo?

I've found a scholarly text which I feel best illustrates Rose's troubled relationship with her father and why she reached out to her stepmother after running away from Synanon. The book is entitled Troubled Youth, Troubled Families, by James Garbarino, Cynthia J. Schellenbach, Janet M. Sebes and Associates. Yes, I know this is a long excerpt and it uses very technical terminology, but if you'll take a closer look, I hope you'll see where I'm going with this:

Family Conflict

Familial relationships and interactions have long been recognized as factors leading to runaway behavior. The 1978 Annual report on the Runaway Youth Act reported that 80% of runaways indicated that they left home because of family problems. (DHEW, 1980, p. 90). Family problems cover a broad spectrum and range from divorce to parent-child conflicts over dating and peers. Poor conflict resolution, inadequate communication patterns, and ineffective parental supervision characterize the families of runaway youth.

Behaviorally oriented researchers and clinicians have made an important contribution to our understanding of family dynamics by documenting and explicating how what seem to be innocuous behavioral interactions can build up into full blown "pathological" patterns of family conflict. Parents and children can become entrapped in coercive, conflictual behavior patterns through a gradual process of escalating reinforcements (Patterson, 1976). Some families permit minor conflicts to evolve into major confrontations (Troll, 1972). In some situations, disputes over issues like dinnertime, hairstyle, and curfews can divert attention from more basic commitments of love and regard and result in a running incident (Kimball, 1970). Further complicating poor conflict resolution is the lack of effective communication patterns in the families of runaways. In the 1978 Annual Report on the Runaway Youth Act, 58.1% of the population stated that poor to no communication with parents was the main reason for running (DHEW, 1980, p. 90). Thus, resolution of problem areas within their families was limited by lack of understanding resulting from poor communication patterns.

In regard to parental supervision, an interesting sex difference has been reported. In Wolk and Brandon's study of runaway's perceptions of self and parents (1977), they report that runaway girls indicate excessive control as a critical issue while runaway boys indicate inadequate control as an issue. This coincides with the general impression gained from youth that over-control is usually more of a problem for females. It may tie in with the finding that teenage boys with single parents and teenage girls with step-parents are at greatest risk for mental health referrals (Kalter, 1977). The former is more likely to be an undercontrol situation, whereas the latter is more likely to bring to the fore the issue of overcontrol.

While these "normal" runaways may become enmeshed in the web of victimization and exploitation that will be discussed later as an effect of running away, most engage in a short run and a relatively quick return. Much more serious seem to be incidents of running that are a response to parental mistreatment.

Parental Mistreatment

Evidence continues to accumulate documenting the role of parental mistreatment, including physical abuse, neglect, and incest, in producing runaway behavior. Several studies have linked parental mistreatment to running away from home, particularly in cases where the adolescent goes far and stays away a long time (Garbarino and Gilliam, 1980). For youth exposed to chronic mistreatment at the hands of parents or guardians, running away from home may constitute a "healthy and adaptive response to an impossible situation" (Silbert and Pines, 1981). What is more, some "runaways" are actually "throwaways" in the sense that parental mistreatment has led to a runaway response.

Houghton and Golembiewski (1976) concluded that more than 80% of all "serious" runaways flee serious family problems, particularly abuse and alcoholism. Gutierres and Reich (1981) indicated that a violent home life created stresses that led to runaway behavior. Farber and Kinast (1984), in their study, found that three-fourths of those who ran reported having been subjected to severe mistreatment in the year prior to their runaway behavior (p. 2981). An HEW report estimated that mistreatment figured in one-third to one-half the cases of running away served by agencies. Many "throwaways" report incestual or abusive problems as the major cause of leaving home (Young et al., 1983, p. 277). Other researchers, including Fisher et al. (1979) who have produced the only existing national study of abused adolescents, concur that parental mistreatment is a significant "cause" of running away (e.g. Ambrosino, 1971; Crowley, 1977; D'Angelo, 1974; Liebertoff, 1980).​

The textbook goes on to say:

Runaway adolescents who do not return home quickly have inadequate financial resources to meet their basic needs because of their poor prospects for legitimate employment. Thus, they are candidates for recruitment into the illicit economy---dealing drugs, larceny, hustling, and prostitution-*advertiser censored*. It is a damning indictment of the larger society, of course, that the "opportunities" for such illicit activities are institutionalized by predatory and exploitative elements of adult society and tolerated by "legitimate" society.​

------​

Basically, my conclusion is this: Everything that's happened to Rose stems from a deeply troubled relationship with her father. Jesse Cole is primarily responsible for his daughter choosing the make her own way on the streets, and when she failed at this, he turned his back on her when she called for help. No other contact with Rose was ever made since by any person known to us or to law enforcement.

Rose's father, Jesse Cole was a Navy veteran with a troubled youth of his own. Jesse's father, Jesse R. Cole (1893-1936), worked hard as a laborer and died young.

Jesse's Mother, Rose Cole (formerly Roza Fejes/Rosa Fyes), later remarried a fellow a Hungarian immigrant named Joseph Borich (formerly József Borocz). This may have led to an identity crisis for a time, as her son was briefly known as Jesse Borich (1940 US Census). The US Navy likely restored the use of his original legal surname sometime in the 1940s. (Can you imagine us looking for Rose Borich instead of Rose Cole?)

Among Jesse's few allies during this period was his step-brother, also named Joseph Borich. The step-brothers served in the Navy together and Jesse even named Joseph as his executor towards the end of his life in 1991. The younger Borich was previously contacted by other Websleuths contributors in years past with mostly negative results (See earlier postings for details).

Meanwhile, the elder Joseph Borich committed suicide while Jesse was still a young man. According to Borich's obituary, he "leaped to his death...from the window of a second-floor ward of Flower Hospital." The loss of this second father figure had to have affected him deeply.

Jesse, in turn, developed an alcohol problem and a violent temper. He was a serial womanizer and allegedly very abusive with his wives and children. Rose may have allied with her step-mother, Opal during this period, perhaps after she stood up for her. This could explain why the letters home were mainly addressed to Opal amid Rose's desperate efforts to rekindle her estranged family's love.

I believe that Rose began selling marijuana and other drugs in an effort to earn a little cash and escape. She may have seen this as a way out from this endless cycle of abuse and neglect. Of course, being further abused by her birth mother and step-father during a Christmas vacation in Orange, Texas only made things worse.

Rose fell into a bad crowd. Period. She experimented with alcohol and drugs in order to feel better and possibly more alive. Her step-sister once admitted having to retrieve her from a raucous neighborhood party. A suspicious overdose led her best friend to take her to the emergency room. A school counselor steered her into the federal court system, where some judge clearly hoped that a long-term stay at Juvenile Hall---and later the Synanon Foundation---would straighten her out.

But Synanon was the last straw. This quasi-cult employed physical violence and psychological torture to keep their young inmates in line. Horribly abused everywhere she turned, Rose fled. And she never came back. Maybe she sold drugs to survive. Maybe she turned to prostitution. Perhaps she overdosed again somewhere, landed in prison, became homeless, committed suicide, or fell victim to foul play.

Or is it foolish to hope that Rose did straighten out and make a better life for herself?

One thing is for sure, however: With a life going as wrong as Rose's was, is it any wonder she might've been tempted to simply....disappear?

Hello everyone. This is my first post so forgive me if this has already been stated (and looking at the insight of so many gifted sleuthers it probably has) but I wonder if anyone has ever looked into grave sites at some of the Synanon locations? After reading several articles about this cult and how determined they were to make sure nobody left that maybe some of the beatings or other form of discipline led to deaths there. Since they wouldn't be able to admit that maybe there are actual bodies buried there.

Not to say that I necessarily think this is what happened to Rose but could it be possible?

I agree with Sweetgrits. People like Rose could've been fatally injured while in Synanon's charge. But it's equally likely that these victims were secretly buried in unmarked graves to avoid legal complications.

If Rose was murdered and lies buried today on some former Synanon property, we'd need more concrete evidence or information to get the local police involved. A forensic police investigation backed by a court of law could put this matter to rest once and for all, one way or another.

So I ask everyone who reads this: How do we find this evidence or information?

I agree with Sweetgrits. People like Rose could've been fatally injured while in Synanon's charge. But it's equally likely that these victims were secretly buried in unmarked graves to avoid legal complications.

If Rose was murdered and lies buried today on some former Synanon property, we'd need more concrete evidence or information to get the local police involved. A forensic police investigation backed by a court of law could put this matter to rest once and for all, one way or another.

So I ask everyone who reads this: How do we find this evidence or information?

One of the articles I read about Synanon noted how many actors, actresses, politicians, etc were singing the praises of this cult during the time probably has a lot to do with the fact that they were allowed to operate as long as they were. It makes me so sad for Rose and the other children forced to endure this physical and psychological abuse. Children should be happy not so sad.

I agree with you once again, Sweetgrits. Synanon had the opportunity to do a great deal of good in this world had they not been seduced by the lure of easy money, celebrity and power. Worse, they were at their most shameful when preying upon and exploiting young people who had little or no means of defending themselves.

Meanwhile, for those of you who believe that the suicide mystery woman Lori Kennedy Ruff might once have been Rose Cole in real life, she is mentioned as Entry No. 8 in this Listverse article:

Also mentioned in Entry No. 1 is missing 5 year-old Anna Waters, who disappeared around the same time as Rose in Jan 1973. Her story coincides with that of the enigmatic (and possibly sinister) George Brody, a close friend of Anna's father.

I know I'm new at this, so I'm sure this may be a naive observation, but it's MHO anywho so here goes. With all of the power, money & public recognition surrounding Synanon I'm kind of surprised that they even accepted clients like Rose. By "like Rose" I mean, clients whose family didn't have money or influence or public recognition. Was it just to maintain tax exempt status?

Yes, troubled teens were accepted at Synanon in order to bring the foundation their tax exempt status. Here is an excerpt explaining just what Synanon founder Chuck Dederich was up to:

In order to help protect their tax-exempt status, Dederich began to seek the placement of troubled youth into his facilities. Teens were sent to Synanon by state and Federal organizations, but were housed in separate facilities. They were referred to as “The Punk Squad.” According to a 2008 article by Paul Morantz, “As these juveniles did not want to be there, Synanon methods failed. Violence was then permitted upon them, breaking for first time Synanon’s “non violent rule.” Children were struck across the face, knocked down, otherwise punished and then “gamed.” Soon the OK on violence would spread to “splitees,” suspected thieves and perceived spies and enemies.”

As Synanon’s methods became more widely criticized, the “Church of Synanon” was formed to help establish itself as a religious institution, thus devoid of tax regulations. In addition, Dederich helped to organize the “Imperial Marines,” a group of members dedicated to protecting the institution and fighting those who criticized or threatened its existence. As Synanon began to fail, the Imperial Marines began to beat and even kill splitees, news anchors who reported on Synanon’s abuses, and family members of “patients” who were trying to escape. An underground railroad had formed outside of the main compound which helped to return kids to their families as they ran away from the program. Participants were met with severe violence.

In 1991, Synanon finally came to its end, though it still operates abroad in Germany.​

Rose herself was a splitee. Did the Imperial Marines get to her too?

BTW - Rose came from a middle-class family so it wasn't like they didn't have a little money stashed away. However, her court-ordered "treatment" was likely paid for at taxpayer expense by the city of Flint or some related government body. In any case, Dederich didn't care where the money came from so long as he was paid in full.

Meanwhile, all drug-related charges against Rose were dismissed by a court judge in Jan 1974, yet Rose had already been missing for a year as far as her family was concerned.

So what was going on here?

Interesting about the YouTube comment. I only saw one person with that name who is far to young to be Rose and her Mother looks nothing like Rose.

I found a few with that name but the profiles are completely private even no profile pic.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post the page here, but if you look in her YouTube profile there is a link to her Google+. We could try to contact her there. Her only friend is a woman called L*** B******. If she doesn't respond, we could try to contact L***.

Interesting about the YouTube comment. I only saw one person with that name who is far to young to be Rose and her Mother looks nothing like Rose.

FWIW, I've been in contact with this person, and it led nowhere. The person commented because she was told she looks a lot like Rose.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back