CA CA - San Jose, WhtMale 729UMCA, 40-60, 'J.M. Lacey' on waistband, Dec'02

for those able to do side by side pics, Brian seems to have an elongated face as does the UID.

Here's the side-by-side.

729UMCA.jpg
BJDeese.jpg

The commonality of right-shoulder issues is tantalizing. The vital stats are good. The timeframe is a bit long, but still no problem.

I just can't get my mind around a guy heading out in a boat onto Lake Tahoe and an empty boat being found on the lake, and then ending up 200 miles away. By all appearances, he is probably at the bottom of the lake (and probably still completely preserved down there in the cold water).

But it's not clear whether the boat was empty onshore or on the water. If it was empty onshore, he very well could have wandered off, and picked up a change of clothes from the Salvation Army.

[FONT=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][SIZE=-1]http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1440dmdc.html[/SIZE][/FONT]

William Barnett Cassada
Missing since November 1989 from Pacific Grove, Monterey County, California
Classification: Missing
Other: He was later tracked to a shelter in D.C.

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: December 3, 1952
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 37 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'11"-6'3"; 165-185 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Red hair; striking blue eyes.
* Medical: Very depressed; paranoid; in need of medication that he was not taking. He had walking pneumonia at the time of his disappearance.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Cassada was last seen at his parents house in Pacific Grove, California in November 1989. He left their house after showing his mother a bulk of cash. Cassada was paranoid and thought he was working for the CIA.
His family hired private detectives who tracked him to a homeless shelter in D.C.
Cassada has since been declared legally dead, though his body was never found. His case has been closed.

I'm posting this one as I believe the photo looks like the John Doe. I realise William disappeared a lot earlier (1989) but he was originally tracked to a shelter.... is it possible his paranoia and the fact that he thought he worked for the CIA drove him into the woods? Where he died much later than when he first went missing?

Also I don't know something. If someone is declared legally dead, and their case is CLOSED, are they then removed from the Missing Person's database?

This is William's former wife and mother of his 5 living children. I do not believe this John Doe matches Bill. Bill's ears were not in any way shaped like the picture of the model. Bill was last seen in Washington D.C, and had walking pneumonia. Bill and I lost two children tragically. I believe he went over the edge because of the lost we both endured. I hope one day there will be closure. It would appear Bill would most likely be found on the east coast. He was not only mentally ill, but was sick with walking pneumonia.

This is William's former wife and mother of his 5 living children. I do not believe this John Doe matches Bill. Bill's ears were not in any way shaped like the picture of the model. Bill was last seen in Washington D.C, and had walking pneumonia. Bill and I lost two children tragically. I believe he went over the edge because of the lost we both endured. I hope one day there will be closure. It would appear Bill would most likely be found on the east coast. He was not only mentally ill, but was sick with walking pneumonia.

Keep in mind that this is a skeletal reconstruction, and therefore the ears are probably a complete guess.

I don't doubt your conclusion. You are probably right that this unidentified decedent is not William for the other reasons that you indicated, but I wouldn't base my conclusion on the resemblance (or lack thereof) in their ears.

On a long shot, if Mr. Cassada's wife is till following this, is your ex-husband by chance the son of Faunie and Eddie Cassada?

I'm probably being misled by the accident of expression, but he does fit:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7931/48/

James M. McLaughlin, Missing since February 27, 1998 from Elyria, Ohio. He was 57 when he disappeared, listed as 6' and 180-210 lbs. So far I can't find any other information about him.

Attachments

• JMMcLaughlin 1978 OH.jpg
    JMMcLaughlin 1978 OH.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 729UMCA1.jpg
    729UMCA1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 29
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3775dmca.html

Here is another possible match. The time of disappearance, height and age match. He also has an injured upper arm, although they don't say which one.

Sydney W. Taylor

Missing since December 2, 1999 from San Francisco, California
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 59 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 200 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Grey hair; blue eyes.
•Marks, Scars: Injured upper arm prior to disappearance.
•Clothing: Appears homeless.
•Medical: Diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic.
•AKA: Sidney, Nick

Circumstances of Disappearance

Sydney was released from San Francisco General Hospital on December 2, 1999 (for complications on an injury to his arm) and was supposed to return to his home at 66 Geary Street, San Francisco.
He has not been seen since

Any thoughts?

There don't seem to be any updates on this case.

Did anybody ever submit any of the possibles? I know I didn't.

Maybe J.M. was the tailor's initials from Lacey WA? Are there any other Lacey cities in the US or canada?

Quick wiki search says Lacey WA and Lacey Township NJ.

When I saw the "JM LACEY" on the pants I thought it looked more like a brand than a personalized tag identifying an individual's clothes. Same as you though, when I searched I came up empty.

It looks like the clothing was "of better quality", unfortunately that doesn't really mean anything as people often give really good clothes away, after a loved on passes on. He could have got them in a used clothing shop, or for free, from a shelter.

I too thought the JOB on the case looked like initials, but they know when the case was last manufactured so I'd say it isn't a "personalized" item.... of course the guys initials could be J.O.B. and that's why he held on to it so long!

JOB is a very well known maker of cigarette papers. They're a French company but their merchandise is widely available in the US. Here's their corporate website: Age Gate - JOB

The case carried by the UID looks like it might have a built-in roller. It appears to be a lot nicer than the plastic case carried by a guy I dated in the early 1970s.

im a local. this area does get very cold in winter and gets snow. we had snow up there a few weeks ago. no idea who this poor soul could have been.

im a local. this area does get very cold in winter and gets snow. we had snow up there a few weeks ago. no idea who this poor soul could have been.

Do you think it's possible that he might have been hiking and become lost or injured and died of hypothermia?

Do you think it's possible that he might have been hiking and become lost or injured and died of hypothermia?

its slightly possible, depending on where exactly in the park he was found.

i took pix of the snow a few weeks ago, i will try to upload when i am on my phone. the park is along Mt. Hamilton road, route 130, which is a two lane, winding narrow highway over mt. hamilton. when it snows up there, caltrans closes the road.

i was trying to find "los huecos trail" but havent yet, but im still looking. it seems like it must be remote in the park.

Google Maps

i took pix of the snow a few weeks ago, i will try to upload when i am on my phone. the park is along Mt. Hamilton road, route 130, which is a two lane, winding narrow highway over mt. hamilton. when it snows up there, caltrans closes the road.

i was trying to find "los huecos trail" but havent yet, but im still looking. it seems like it must be remote in the park.

Google Maps

I couldn't find that trail when I looked for it back when the case was first posted here. Then I ran into a mention of "mating tarantulas" and I gave up that search...

Edit: found a map! Los Huecos Trail is about a third of the way down, running from Grant Lake uphill to the ridge.
https://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/parkfinder/Documents/Joseph D Grant Guide Map.pdf

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhysiare