CA - Xuanyi Yu, Santa Clara, Murdered, January 2024

The case file online hasn't been updated regarding today's scheduled arraignment for the accused, Loren Chen, who has been in the hospital since his arrest. I haven't seen any news reports that indicate if the arraignment was held today and if Chen is out of the hospital or is still being detained while in the hospital.

Hope some MSM covers the case again soon. I've seen on some sites that Chen's parents have arrived in the U.S. and that the D.A. in Santa Clara County (where the murder of Xuanyi Yu took place) has made a statement to the media about prosecuting the case and being in touch with Xuanyi's family. But nothing more than that, and have not seen this confirmed by MSM source, so JMO at this time.

New court date scheduled for Liren Chen hearing is on Monday, February 5th at 1:30 p.m.
Wonder if he or his attorney will show up for that hearing and assume it is his arraignment hearing which hasn't been held yet.

I assume that Chen is still in hospitalized detention with no bail, but haven't seen any updates on his status in any MSM. The article linked below mentions the Feb 5 court hearing and it is the last line of the article.

A Chinese-American attorney in California, Liu Longzhu, said he had represented many Chinese engineers working in Silicon Valley and knew the cohort very well.

“Many of them were elite students and had successful careers, but some have high IQ but low EQ and do not have very good emotional management skills,” Liu said.

The tragedy also renewed concerns about the psychological resilience of elite Chinese students, with many questioning the established educational system that puts academic excellence above mental health.

This article in "Business Insider" includes a letter that was sent to Google employees regarding the upcoming layoffs. It includes information on the support that laid off Google employees will receive regarding severance pay, health insurance support for a certain period, immigration support for those affected, etc.

I can't help but wonder if Liren Chen and Xuanyi Yu were impacted by these layoffs, or there was a fear that they would be. Was Chen laid off but Yu wasn't? Or were both of them laid off or Chen thought they or he would be? They had just bought a $2 million dollar house six months ago, and apparently drove a BMW that was parked in the driveway that can be seen from photos taken of the house by MSM. And maybe their immigration status was tied to this employment in some way.

I am in no way making excuses for Chen's brutal and vicious murder of Xuanyi Yu, but trying to understand what precipitated the rage and fury that he unleashed against her.

I assume that we will find out once his attorney begins his defense arguments at court hearings.

Of course it could be totally unrelated as well.

JMO

Police found Chen’s wife dead after arriving at the house at 10:55 a.m. Tuesday to conduct a welfare check, court records say. The responding officer saw Chen through the window on his knees, staring blankly with his hands in the air and what appeared to be blood on his clothing.

After entering the home and taking Chen into custody, court records show officers found Yu’s body on the bedroom floor with severe blunt-force injuries to her head. The floor, wall and door of the room were covered in blood spatter.

“Chen’s right hand was extremely swollen and purple,” a police detective wrote. “He had blood on his clothing, his legs, arms, and hands.”

When asked how he hurt his hand, Chen allegedly told first responders, “I punched my wife.” He then indicated that the attack had occurred the day prior.

Did he beat her to death and it was so bad that his hand was so extremely swollen? Was he on drugs? Extreme rage so that he beat his wife to death? And this article says that he beat her to death the day before, did she die right away? Dear God, I hope she did and that she didn't suffer while dying overnight, and if she didn't die right away, I pray that she was unconscious during all that time.

Friend of the couple says that he had dinner with Chen and Yu the night before the murder (if I am understanding this correctly) and that Chen was behaving or appeared oddly, definitely out of character.

There is a photo of Xuanyi Yu in the gallery of photos. She was also a software engineer at Google, as was her husband.

I am trying to find information on the arraignment that was supposed to be held today, according to the news article that I posted above.

Also, one photo shows that someone left flowers at the front door of their house, in memory of Xuanyi Yu.
have only read a couple posts but all of them are making me think a very significant mental break happened here. these are my opinions based on my college work and some of the cases i have studied. obviously not fact, opinion only....

i wish we knew if friend on last dinner date with chen & yu was same friend who called welfare check after peeking through a window, witnessing a frozen, expressionless, and blood-splattered liren

I wonder if Liren Chen will show up in court for his arraignment hearing today.
According to the Santa Clara D.A.'s web page on "Cases of Media Interest," Chen's arraignment hearing is still scheduled for today at 1:35 p.m. Pacific time, so 4:35 p.m. Eastern time. He may still be unable to attend due to hospitalization.

On the Santa Clara County Courthouse website, a new date is given for Liren Chen's arraignment hearing. New date is now listed as February 9th at 1:35 p.m. So maybe this Friday it will actually take place. I guess, again we'll see.

According to this news article, Liren Chen is now out of the hospital and was transferred from the hospital detention to jail detention today. The article mentions that Chen has missed 5 scheduled arraignments due to his hospitalization and that he is expected to appear at his court arraigment this Friday, February 9th (1:35 p.m. Pacific time/4:35 p.m. Eastern time).

This case is so disturbing to me.

Thanks for the update, @Sundog. This case also greatly disturbs me. It's horrifying.

According to this news article, Liren Chen is now out of the hospital and was transferred from the hospital detention to jail detention today. The article mentions that Chen has missed 5 scheduled arraignments due to his hospitalization and that he is expected to appear at his court arraigment this Friday, February 9th (1:35 p.m. Pacific time/4:35 p.m. Eastern time).

This case is so disturbing to me.
I hope they are watching closely in jail. I suspect he’s at strong risk for self-harm.

I haven't seen any news about what happened in relation to the scheduled arraignment for Liren Chen on Friday, February 9th.

This is an older article but I don't think it has been posted here before.

There is a photo of Chen's attorney in court at an earlier hearing where Chen didn't show up (the 5th scheduled arraignment for Chen). The article says that Chen's parents were in court that day. Apparently they flew to California as soon as they learned of the arrest of their son for the murder of Xuanyi Yu.

According to this article, Liren Chen appeared at his arraignment on Friday, February 9th and his next court date is April 19th.

There is a photo of Liren Chen with his attorney. Chen is wearing some kind ofprotective helmet. I wonder if he injured his head as a possible suicide or self-injury attempt at some point once arrested, or if they are requiring him to wear this helmut to mitigate against some kind of self-harm that they suspect he might attempt. Or could it be related to some kind of treatment he has been given in the hospital?

What do others think? Maybe some have seen this kind of thing before?

Edited to add: When you go to the MSM site, click on "English" to get the English translation of the article.

According to this article, Liren Chen appeared at his arraignment on Friday, February 9th and his next court date is April 19th.

There is a photo of Liren Chen with his attorney. Chen is wearing some kind ofprotective helmet. I wonder if he injured his head as a possible suicide or self-injury attempt at some point once arrested, or if they are requiring him to wear this helmut to mitigate against some kind of self-harm that they suspect he might attempt. Or could it be related to some kind of treatment he has been given in the hospital?

What do others think? Maybe some have seen this kind of thing before?

Edited to add: When you go to the MSM site, click on "English" to get the English translation of the article.
^^^
Here is the photo in the above article/link (Liren Chen and his attorney at his arraignment on February 9th in Santa Clara County criminal court).

1707972477707.png

Was looking for an update. All I can find is that LC remains in jail. No bail.

Department of Correction
Inmate Details for LIREN CHEN
Inmate related information sometimes changes quickly during the booking process and the first few days in custody. Please continue to check this site for changes. You may also contact the Department of Correction at (408) 299-2305 for the most recent information.
space.gif
Inmate Details
First Name
LIREN
PFN
EHK487
Last Name
CHEN
CEN
Middle Name

Housing Facility
MAIN JAIL NORTH
Sex
M
Bail Amount
No Bail Allowed

Date Of Birth
xx/xx/xxxx
Release Date

Booking Date
01/18/2024

According to the DA's website in Santa Clara County, the plea hearing for Liren Chen regarding his murder of Xuanyi Yu will be held this Friday, April 19, 2024, at 1:30 p.m. California time (4:30 p.m. in the East Coast).

I wonder if he will show up in court for this hearing (whether in person or remotely) and if he is still hospitalized.

Justice for Xuanyi Yu is slow moving in this case, as far as we know.

I haven't been able to find anything in the news yet, but the website for criminal cases at Santa Clara County Superior Court has been updated and states that there will be a hearing for Liren Chen on June 7, 2024, at 9:00 a.m. It says that it will be a plea hearing. And that's what it said for today's hearing, too. So I am guessing that he either didn't show up to the hearing today and it was continued to June 7th, or he did show up to the hearing today but his lawyer wasn't ready to have him enter a plea and so it was held over to June 7th? This is just speculation on my part. I hope that some local news will pick up the story and we'll know more next week (after the weekend).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back