Age at disappearance : 18
Bio group: White
Eye colour: Brown
Hair: Red
Height: 168cm / 5 ft 6 in
Weight: 62kg / 137lb
Aliases/Nicknames:
Distinguishing characteristics: N/A
Clothing/Jewelry/Personal Items: White coveralls. Winter coat. Winter boots.

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Laroque was hunting with six other people near Larocque Lake, 48 kilometers east of the town of Carrot River, SK. The hunting party split up and Laroque was last seen walking in an area alone. Extensive ground and air searches were conducted, however, he was never located.

Investigators:

1. F Division RCMP: Historical Case Unit 1-833-502-6861; 639-625-4111; saskmissingpersons@rcmp-grc.gc.ca
    Reference Case#: 2005-628340

2. Crime Stoppers: 1-800-222-TIPS(8477) or online at Canadian Crime Stoppers Association
    Crime Stoppers provides anonymous tipping

3. Send email to the National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains at:
    canadasmissing-disparuscanada@rcmp-grc.gc.ca
Canada's Missing | Case details
SACP | Missing Persons Database

So all agencies report that Archie Laroque went missing from Laroque Lake, SK. I found it odd that he disappeared someplace that shared his exact name, so I looked it up wondering if there was significance to it like, was it family owned property etc. I couldn't find a Laroque Lake in SK, only a Larocque Lake (with a c). Can anyone shed light on this?

First off, did Archie and the lake really share the same name and Archie "Laroque'" is misspelled without the "c"?
Was this just a mistake on LE's part, back in 1965? As if they assumed he had the same name as the lake. Or could the names really be that eerily similar? Either way, it's strange.

I am guessing there was a mistake along the way, between the original hand scribbled police report taken 56 years ago- pre-internet days. Not trying to be ambiguous but I really am curious what the deal is with the names.

So all agencies report that Archie Laroque went missing from Laroque Lake, SK. I found it odd that he disappeared someplace that shared his exact name, so I looked it up wondering if there was significance to it like, was it family owned property etc. I couldn't find a Laroque Lake in SK, only a Larocque Lake (with a c). Can anyone shed light on this?

First off, did Archie and the lake really share the same name and Archie "Laroque'" is misspelled without the "c"?
Was this just a mistake on LE's part, back in 1965? As if they assumed he had the same name as the lake. Or could the names really be that eerily similar? Either way, it's strange.

I am guessing there was a mistake along the way, between the original hand scribbled police report taken 56 years ago- pre-internet days. Not trying to be ambiguous but I really am curious what the deal is with the names.

I stumbled upon this today and figured I could help out with your question.
The lake was as far as I know an unnamed lake prior to Archie disappearing. After it went cold they renamed the lake Laroque Lake after him as almost a marker of the area of where he went missing.

Archie is/was a cousin of mine so if you have any more questions I'd love to assist and get someone else's opinions on their theories to what happened

Archie is/was a cousin of mine so if you have any more questions I'd love to assist and get someone else's opinions on their theories to what happened

Welcome and thank you so much for sharing, it is appreciated! Very interesting and helpful. So sorry about Archie's loss for your family. Was he before your time or did you know him? Curious about the many thoughts and theories your family may have had throughout the years.

There are so many similar and unfortunate stories like this, and often times they are experienced hunters. Between the countless search parties conducted and many hunters passing through these remote areas over the years, it's almost unreal that after all this time, nothing was ever found in these cases, not even a hunting rifle etc. So sad there has yet to be closure for so many.

Last edited:
It was before my time. His brother passed away recently and was the last of the hunting party from that day.

From what I was told the story goes like this..

Archie played hockey and one game he took either a puck/stick in the eye and lost his vision in his one eye. Apparently he was in a funk so his brothers after some time decided to take him out hunting to show that he was capable of doing things despite his vision impairment.

I've been told there was either 5 or 6 total in the party including Archie. They parked in a clearing and the parties split up and went each a different way leaving Archie behind and alone near the vehicle in a clearing somewhat near the lake.

When they returned he was missing. So they waited around a while for him and when he didn't come they drove to carrot river to notify the RCMP and the family.

Several different stories have been shared so I am not entirely sure the exact events.

A couple of the hunting party stayed near the lake to search while a few drove to town to notify the RCMP. A search party was formed which had lots of my family members included to search for Archie.

Several theories have been thrown out over the years from family members.
The area where Archie went missing is full of sand. The ground is very soft and a large chunk of the soil is actually sand. Archie's mom believes he fell into a soft spot/hole and died.
The lake was not far off, so some believe he fell through the ice(it was very mild the week he went missing so there was little for fresh snow) but the Temps would have made the lake have a light layer of ice on it.

Archie is/was a skilled hunter but a theory was that he was attacked by an animal of some sorts. (No signs of blood/ripped clothing make this unlikely)
I was told he was armed with a gun

I've had a gut feeling somewhat that there was a hunting accident and the area told where he went missing may not even be the correct area.

I will add more as I remember to this post

I wouldn't doubt that it was a hunting accident and cover-up. I know of a similar case decades ago where a hunting party of cousins up in the north of Canada said one man had gotten separated from them and lost in the bush. A few years later, the young man (18 at the time) who had shot him by mistake came forward, saying he was a God-fearing man who just couldn't live with his guilty conscience anymore. His older cousins had convinced him they should hide the body and stick to the lost hunter story. Canada still had capital punishment at the time and the men were scared their young cousin would "get the noose". Many in the community testified on his behalf, and he was found not guilty. The cover-up also went unpunished as the judge felt it was an accident and that all involved had made a serious mistake by not trusting the judicial system, but all had already suffered for it. I asked my parents if they felt that was fair, and they said it was. He loved the cousin he shot, thinking he was a deer in the distance. The young man grew up to be a fine gentleman; in fact a leader in the community with a good family.

I wouldn't doubt that it was a hunting accident and cover-up. I know of a similar case decades ago where a hunting party of cousins up in the north of Canada said one man had gotten separated from them and lost in the bush. A few years later, the young man (18 at the time) who had shot him by mistake came forward, saying he was a God-fearing man who just couldn't live with his guilty conscience anymore. His older cousins had convinced him they should hide the body and stick to the lost hunter story. Canada still had capital punishment at the time and the men were scared their young cousin would "get the noose". Many in the community testified on his behalf, and he was found not guilty. The cover-up also went unpunished as the judge felt it was an accident and that all involved had made a serious mistake by not trusting the judicial system, but all had already suffered for it. I asked my parents if they felt that was fair, and they said it was. He loved the cousin he shot, thinking he was a deer in the distance. The young man grew up to be a fine gentleman; in fact a leader in the community with a good family.
I agree that this theory is most likely, and was my first thought. If so, there is likely still a living family member of the hunting party that was confided in, and knows.

Some people believe in generational tragedy when such an accident has occurred and is covered up. It would be intriguing to know if this is the case with those involved in that hunting trip, and their descendants.

Amateur opinion and speculation

If they took him hunting, why would they split up and leave him alone?
It doesn't sound a nice thing to do.

They were supposed to be on a trip for him, to help him with his lack of self-esteem and depression over his one-eye sight loss.

MOO.

I stumbled upon this today and figured I could help out with your question.
The lake was as far as I know an unnamed lake prior to Archie disappearing. After it went cold they renamed the lake Laroque Lake after him as almost a marker of the area of where he went missing.

Uncle of mine. Never met him. Died near my tenth
birthday.
Dad drove out to help in the search.
Thirty nine years ago I got slobbery drunk with
another uncle who still missed (and misses) him.

Missing since 22 November 1965

A number of questions come to my mind.

- What was the weather like at the time (22 November 1965)? If it was freezing weather, how long had the temperatures been below 32 degrees, and was the lake actually frozen over?

- How was he dressed? If he was out hunting and had experience as a hunter, he would have been dressed very warmly and capable of being in cold weather.

- What type of rifle was he carrying, and did it have a known serial number which could be traced after his disappearance?

- What were the circumstances of his being left alone? Was he suicidal in any way? Did he say that he wanted to hunt by himself? Was there a hunting plan stated by any of the party - such as a certain area for sitting, or driving deer?

LINK:

I just wish I understood a bit more of the situation when they all arrived at the lake. His brothers decided to take him to cheer him up by showing him he could still hunt and was useful after losing sight in 1 eye. But then they all just kind of walk off and leave him with the car.
Was that the plan, was he supposed to stay with the car?
Did he fail to go with one of the hunting parties?
How would him staying with the car help him feel better?

And finally I'm wondering how having recently lost vision in one eye might affect a hunter? Specifically in use of a hunting rifle and also in realising if you had inadvertently wandered into an area where hunters were operating? Certainly I believe depth perception would be affected.

The fact that his gun was also never found leads me to believe he entered the water somehow. But I'm not really certain of this could be possible not knowing the area.

When you think of the circumstances that resulted in Archie going missing there are several scenarios that come to mind. One is that he is wearing a white coverall which is great if the area is still green. Not so great in November when there could be snow on the ground. Probably a lot of hunters had to get shot accidentally before the blaze orange vests became de rigueur for hunters. It's very possible his own hunting party shot him accidentally and covered it up. Wouldn't be the first time it happened.

Here's an interesting historical link:

The second scenario that comes to mind is that six people cajoled him to come hunting so he could discover that only having one eye wouldn't hurt his ability to hunt. Except I would think which eye he was blind in would have a pretty big impact on whether he'd still be able to hunt as well as the weapon he was using. Right handed shooters would close their left eye when sighting their target. If he lost sight in his right eye it would take some training to adjust, imo. So if he was being argumentative or stubborn maybe they just left him at the car.

He may have wandered away from the vehicle and fallen in a lake. He may have fallen in a bog or muskeg and wearing those coveralls would have made it difficult to get out.

If he wandered away from the car but was still alive by the time the hunting party returned to the vehicle, I'm hoping he was yelling and they would have heard him. If not, I believe he died the same day they took him hunting. I presume they never heard him fire the weapon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back