Canada - Barry & Honey Sherman, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Fascinating discussion of the case by a criminal profiler. (With useful time stamps, thank you) :

22:40 She explains how it is possible to hang yourself off a railing that is very short etc....(I found this interesting)
30:30 She discusses the theory of a "hit" and quickly rules out it was a "hit Man" and explains why
42:09 She discusses the NW (she says he's not a "hit Man")
49:50 She talks about KW
54:20 - 1:09:50 How can 1 person commit these murders (very interesting. She also discusses about their coats being behind their backs and KW)

Her perspective was interesting BUT she made no mention of the children didn't even mention JS. She mainly talked about KW.
More useful time stamps, thank you:

Did a very quick n' loose timestamp on a few comments, fwiw

29:39 Not a signature but M/O

41:00 Praise for Det. Brandon Price's for carefully planned speech at conference.

47:10 NOT A HIT- PERSONAL may be locally known because if in fact there is a perp car, it was parked far away.

57:50 Who can tie someone with one hand? A heroin addict.

Last edited:
Days prior to the fifth anniversary of the murders, Sherman daughter Alexandra Krawczyk released an exclusive statement to the Toronto Star:

“My heart is broken. My loss is immeasurable. My children have lost their grandparents. We miss their guidance, love, and wisdom,” Krawczyk said in her statement.

Police still say the Sherman case is an open and active investigation and recently told the Star they are seeking information in five different countries that they believe will help them in their probe.

In her statement, Krawczyk noted that the Sherman family’s $10 million reward “for information leading to a conviction” remains “available and is still unclaimed.””
D824C364-FDFC-4DFB-B1A8-E1FCD1F55573.jpeg

A few days after the above statement was released, Sherman son Jonathon Sherman released this statement exclusively to the CBC:

“My parents deserved to enjoy the fruits of their labour, and spend their twilight years as any grandparent should, with their family. I continue to miss my parents more than I can describe, and I am forever haunted by what happened to them.”

He also added $25 million to the reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the killer(s), bringing the reward amount to $35 million.

I’m going back to January, 2018. This is the major press conference where police officially announced the cause and manner of deaths.

*My transcript. Please watch the video for the official statement and questions & answers that followed.

Homicide Det.-Sgt. Susan Gomes, TPS Press Conference, Friday, January 26th, 2018:
-At 11:44 am on Friday December the 15th, 2017, we responded to a 9-1-1 call to 50 Old Colony Road. Officers attended the address and located Barry Sherman and Honey Sherman, deceased.

-Post-mortem examinations were conducted at the Province's Coroner's Office: Forensic Pathology Unit, by a Forensic Pathologist. The cause of death for both Shermans was ligature neck compression.

-The manner was undetermined; with the only presented options being: double-suicide, homicide-suicide or double-homicide.

-From the outside of this investigation, we have followed the evidence and we were alive to the issue of an undetermined manner of death

-The integrity of every homicide investigation is paramount

-Facts guide our focus. Conjecture and speculation have no place

-Each of the three manners, the options provided to us, were all equally considered as evidence presented itself

-As a unit with the assistance of many other areas of expertise within our service, we have so far spent thousand of hours on this investigation.

-Our partners include the Province's Coroners office, forensic pathology unit and many areas of discipline within the Centre of Forensic Sciences

-We are in the process of attaining or have executed 20 judicial authorizations and searches.

-Legal complexities and some executions have been challenging given the litigious nature of Barry Sherman's businesses. In particular the search and seizure of electronics in BS's work space at Apotex

-Two residential properties belonging to the Shermans have been searched. The primary Sherman residence is a 3-story family dwelling, of a size warranting six weeks of searching, forensic review and seizing of evidence

-This morning, we returned the residence to the family.

-To date close to 150 bulk or packaged items have been seized and are currently being reviewed and forensically analysed

-A total of 127 witness statements have been compiled; this number continues to grow each day.

-Neighbourhood canvases have occurred in the area surrounding the Sherman residence. This includes the collection of 4TB of security video from both commercial and residential property. There are approximately 500 hours in each of these TB.

-And finally, 348 investigative actions have been assigned and are being vigorously pursued.

-Contact with the immediate Sherman family has been consistent and ongoing. For them it has been difficult to balance their patience with their frustration, with us and our investigation, not unlike any other family who has suffered such a sudden and profound loss. They have been understanding, cooperative and hopeful that this investigation can give them some answers.

-What we have come to learn so far in our investigation that I'm willing to confirm with you today, is that Honey and Barry Sherman were last seen alive in the evening hours of Wednesday, December 13th, 2017.

-Neither of the two had communicated with friends, family or associates from that time frame until their discovery on Friday, December the 15th.

-There are no signs of forced entry on all access points to the home.

-Honey and Barry Sherman were found deceased in the lower level pool area, hanging by belts from a poolside railing in a semi-seated position on the pool deck. They were wearing their clothing.

-We believe now, through the six week work review, we have sufficient evidence to describe this as a double-homicide investigation. And that both Honey and Barry Sherman were, in fact, targeted.

-We will continue to focus exclusively on evidence with whatever resources are necessary.

-We ask anyone to come forward with anything they may think is valuable to the investigation. And we, along with the family, are grateful to those who have done so thus far.

(Reporter questions and answers follow.)

Apotex key dates following the murders:

-January 26, 2018, CEO Jeremy Desai announces he has left Apotex. This was announced on the day of the TPS press conference announcing that both Honey and Barry Sherman were murdered. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4505624
-December 13, 2018, (Two days prior to the first anniversary of the murders.) Acting CEO and best friend and business partner of Barry Sherman, Jack Kay, is fired by Jonathon Sherman.Barry Sherman’s son tells Apotex CEO to leave

-April, 4, 2019, Confirming previous speculation, Apotex is for sale. Since the murders, Apotex had previously sold off some of their holdings, and ended some new projects that Barry Sherman was working on prior to his death. .Canadian drugmaker Apotex is said to weigh sale amid interest - BNN Bloomberg

-February 20, 2021, The Toronto Star reports that there is a division in leadership at Apotex. Family members and top employees side with the three Sherman daughters against Jonathon Sherman.
Brother vs. sister: Two of Barry and Honey Sherman’s children in a battle for control of the family empire
*Typo correction: December 13th, 2018 was the first anniversary of the murders and the day Jack Kay was fired by Jonathon Sherman. Two days later was the anniversary of when the bodies were discovered.

From @deugirtni:​

“Gormley Show segments, Thur. Dec. 15, 2022

Saskatoon / 650 CKOM
Brody Hamilton

Dec 15, 2022 | 7:58 AM

8:30 – Today marks the 5-year anniversary of the mysterious death of Barry and Honey Sherman. Kevin Donovan, Chief Investigative Reporter for the Toronto Star has been covering the story from the very beginning and joins Gormley to give us the latest on the story.
LIVE: Kevin Donovan, Chief Investigative Reporter at Toronto Star and author of The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman

----
You kind of have to look around for the recording.. on this page: https://www.ckom.com/show-captures/

“Transcribed by me <@deugirtni>:

BBM:

03:37
Gormley:
Okay, the son of the Shermans, noting this week they’ve added 25 million dollars to the reward?

03:47
Donovan:
Yes, and when you say ‘they’, that’s not quite correct, because what happened was, they, as the anniversary approached, one of the four children, the daughter Alexandra, she’s the one who’s most involved in the Shermans’ ongoing philanthropy, she came out with a statement to all media saying, just reminding people of the great loss to our community, of my mother and father, and reminding you that there’s a reward still out there for information, and please send your information to the police. Her brother Jonathon, a few days later, to one media outlet, not mine or yours, came out and just out of the blue, said, “and I’ll add 25 million dollars to that.” I thought that was unusual because I would imagine you’d put out a reward, you’d want to make sure everybody knows about it. So it’s another piece of this developing puzzle and to me, it gets more mysterious as the days and months and years go by.

04:48
Gormley:
If we go back to that morning five years ago, here is this billionaire couple found hanging in a seated position beside their swimming pool, belts around their necks, and at first of course, the thought is, is it a murder-suicide. Then of course, you’ve reported so clearly, thin ligature marks are found around their necks under the belts, it looks like they were actually bound by their wrists when they were still alive. So clearly, the investigation began to unwind that this was a double homicide. What is the operating theory, Kevin Donovan, that the police are following, on who might’ve been responsible?

05:27
Donovan:
Well, the only theory I've been able to publish that the police say on the record is that a mysterious man that has been dubbed 'the walking man', who's a fellow between 5'6" and 5'9", is seen in the area of the Sherman home at precisely the time of the murders, which would be sort of around between 9 and 10 o'clock on the Wednesday night that they're killed. Uh this person is picked up on video, uh the police have scoured the universe to see who the person is, but they can't find anybody who knew who he was, so they've decided that this person is the killer, or one of the killers, or a lookout. That's the only theory.

The police have also said that, you know, that they believe there's a financial side to this crime, which is not surprising, given that they're billionaires, and then they've also talked about the estate of Barry and Honey Sherman and how that is part of the case. They won't say if it's because of somebody who benefitted from the estate, or somebody who thought they would and didn't benefit. Again, you know, the more I learn about this, and I've been pretty active in doing stories for The Star on this, the more questions are raised from what I dig up.

06:45
Gormley:
So what are some of those questions? Financially of course, I'm loathe to call them the heir apparent, but the long-time employee who takes over Apotex, then parts ways; the company's recently been sold; of course anybody who's ever followed litigation knows that Barry Sherman and Apotex, if you look at styles of cause, was involved in dozens of high profile lawsuits over the years, so there would be no end of speculation, surely?

07:14
Donovan:
There were, but to give, you know, the benefit of the doubt to Barry Sherman and Apotex, the regime that was set up was actually by the Mulroney government, requires generic companies to go to court and to sue for the right to break a patent, to bring a brand name drug into the generic world faster than the usual twenty years that's allowed.

Gormley: Right.

07:39
Donovan:
So the reason Barry, yes, is the most litigious person, but he's the biggest company and that's the law in Canada, you actually have to sue. He did sue other people, he sued the builders of his home in the 80s, recouped almost all the money from the contractors over some, what he alleged, were shoddy building practices. He certainly uses the court like that, but I don't see him as a nasty litigator, I see him as a shrewd one. And although he's a scientist, he would do those court, a lot of those court battles, himself. If, you know, what can be lost in this, you know, horrific crime is the, is what a really smart guy he was, and I must say I often wondered, had he been alive during the pandemic, what would he have come up with.

08:28
Gormley:
It's a great question, he was brilliant and in terms of how he grew the generic drug space in Canada, you make a good point. So, as far as the walking man, any, again, you hear these theories, well this could've been somebody, you know, who was on a plane two hours later and flew back to where he came from, so, I mean, what is the probability five years out, given what you're hearing from your sources, that this case is ever going to be solved?

08:56
Donovan:
Well I mean, one hopes it, that it will be solved. This is not a case where there is anything forensically at the scene, as it's not one of these DNA cases where they're gonna discover something, as far as I know. What the police have said most recently, is that they are seeking information from five countries, they won't say which countries they are, two of them are in a group of countries that Canada has a treaty with, to get information in a criminal case, three are not. They're pursuing a theory and I don't think they're looking for an international hitman, I think they're looking for perhaps some benefit that was paid to somebody domestically, in return for the crime - that's where I think they're going on this.

The problem is, as I've discovered recently, it's not like in the movies where you just fly over to ‘Country X’ and talk to the local detective - you've gotta go through Ottawa to make a request to the foreign jurisdiction, and that takes time. I'm getting a sense that, that we'll be having, if you'll have me, this conversation again in a year because they'll move the ball forward, but they're really having a hard time. I've written recently that the police do have a theory beyond the walking man. They, I believe they have a theory of the person or persons who did this, but they are completely, at this stage, unable to prove it, and so that's why they're going in search of other information.

10:32
Gormley:
Kevin Donovan, Chief Investigative Reporter, Toronto Star, and the author of The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman - great work on this Kevin, over the years, I assume you're not going to be letting up your work in the coming months and years?

10:48
Donovan:
No I'm not, I do have some stories coming up in the next couple of months on this file. I'm always receiving information, and every time you do a story you get more calls and I, sort of like a firefighter, when I get a call I have to answer it, and you know, there's usually no fire, but you never know, and I've had some interesting calls over the last couple of days, so yeah. So, working on other stories of course, but this one is near and dear to my heart.”

Post & transcript by @deugirtni :

The Barry and Honey Sherman murders: Kevin Donovan reflects five years on

December 13, 2022
Podcast transcribed by deugirtni (please advise any errors)
Skipped intro
Host = Raju Mudhar, Podcast Co-Host/Producer
KD = Kevin Donovan

--

2:15 Host: Are we any closer to finding out who murdered the Shermans?

2:18 KD: That’s an excellent question. I think the police are closer to being able to prove a case against individual or individuals. They are seeking information in five different countries now. They’ve assured me they’re not doing this as a fishing expedition where they’re looking for anybody who might know about this. They have a theory, they’re pursuing the theory and looking for something, I’m assuming it’s financial, in another country, so they’re getting closer but this is not a case that, barring somebody walking in the door and confessing, is going to be solved in time for the anniversary, which of course is upon us. This is dogged police work - that’s what the police say - and it’s going to take more time, it could be years.

3:07 Host: I think one of the most interesting things about this case was what we first heard about it, and how the theories of it sort of changed. As you said, the police first said that the Shermans died in a murder-suicide. Then perhaps Barry killed Honey. How has the investigation evolved since then?

3:24 KD: Well the investigation begins as all of these suspicious death investigations begin, with the discovery of their bodies, and it’s kind of screwed up from the start and the police and the pathologist both come to the conclusion that this is not a double homicide. And they spent five weeks asking people the wrong questions. They were asking did Barry and Honey have a reason to commit suicide together, was there some suicide pact, is there a letter out there – a suicide letter, was one of them sick and wanted to end their lives for that reason. And they’re not asking the questions that I think they should’ve been asking, which is – who would’ve done this.

When I first heard about the case, I didn’t really know anything about Barry and.. Sherman. I knew that we’d reported on his generic company, but I didn’t, had never met him. I had never even heard of Honey, or that Barry even had a family, and I’d actually took the media and the police sources at face value. And then I get assigned and start digging into the case and through various means I’m able to get ahold of information related to the Sherman family’s own private investigation, and I find out about the autopsy, that Barry and Honey in fact were tied up, and it’s pretty hard for Barry to kill Honey if he was tied up at the time. And so we published that story five weeks into the case and that causes the police to change their minds. A question that I still have no answer for, is why didn’t the Sherman family just give that information - the result of their second autopsy - to the police. Why did it have to take a headline in the Toronto Star to change the course of that investigation.

5:05 Host: There’s so many questions about that over the course of this. Can you tell us at least who’s been ruled out? Do we even know that?

5:11 KD: Police have said to me in this court process that I’ve gone through for five years where I’m trying to get access to police documents, and have had some success on behalf of the Toronto Star in getting access, and they say we’re not saying who we’ve ruled out. Now there are some statements that are made by people and those statements are in these search warrant documents and they’re completely released, and so those people, it’s not important to name them, they’re just, you know, friends of friends – they didn’t do it - they refuse to rule out publicly anybody who might’ve had a motive. The police say, ‘we have a number of persons of interest, but none of them rise to the level of suspect’, and so just as a way of explanation, police categorize people as persons of interest if they’re somebody that might possibly have had a reason to commit the crime of murder, but there’s no evidence against them, and nobody’s saying they did it. Then ‘suspect’ is where they put it all together and they say that person’s a suspect. The only suspect that they’ve identified is the mysterious ‘walking man’, that, or as you and I’ve talked about before on your podcast…

6:27: brief playback regarding the ‘walking man’

7:02 KD cont’d: …there’s no proof that this guy did it, they just find his activities very suspicious. So that’s a long-winded answer to your question – none of the people that our listeners might think is a potential suspect - none of them have been ruled out, at least not publicly.

7:18 Host: There’s a lot of stuff I want to get in there but you mentioned about, you going to court over the last five years – I believe it’s almost ten times – I want you to tell us why you did that, and how that experience has been and what information you’ve gotten. Really I think it shed an incredible light on this investigation.

7:37 KD: Police are not in the habit of just releasing information relating to an ongoing investigation. In the United States they do that a bit more, in Canada they don’t. The only source that I had of information, are documents that police filed in aid of getting a search warrant, or a production order to get information on some person. So these are all sealed by court order, and what I’ve been doing is arguing the case. I’m not a lawyer but I’ve developed a bit of skill in doing this. I’ve been arguing multiple times – I go every six months before a justice in Toronto to get that information unsealed - and they’ve started unsealing information, there’s about 3300 pages of search warrant and production order documents now. I think I probably have about 60% unsealed, but it’s very frustrating when you look at what I’ve gotten unsealed because there’s so much stuff under the black ink that would answer all of the questions that you’re quite suitably asking. I’m still hoping to get those unsealed too.

8:41 Host: Okay Kevin, you know, I think this is a big one, but you know, and you’ve mentioned it a little bit, the police have made a lot of mistakes throughout this investigation, particularly right at the beginning of it. Can you just sort of talk about some of those and how they’ve hurt their ability to solve this crime.

8:57 KD: Well, beyond the fact that they mislabeled the crime as a murder-suicide, which is a big problem, other mistakes include not – they’ve got this video of this mysterious ‘walking man’, and they’ve got it within a few weeks of Barry and Honey being killed. They’ve got it at a time that you’re not quite sure what the crime is they’re investigating, but they’ve got it and they find it suspicious – they don’t release that to the public for four years. Would’ve been better to release it contemporaneously at a time when peoples’ memories are better. There’s a video camera across the street from the Shermans’ home - the Shermans have no video cameras, by the way – but there is a video camera across the street at a neighbour’s. Police don’t go and pick that video up for three days, they lose three days of video because it’s an older model of recorder that wipes every seven days.

They don’t take DNA and fingerprint information from people who were known to be in the Shermans’ home, for nine months. They should do that right away, ‘cause you’re trying to exclude the housekeeper, or the realtor, or the clients, all those people, you’re trying to exclude them. They don’t go to the airport - when they know that this is a potential international case – they don’t go to the airport to try and look at any video see if they see our mysterious ‘walking man’ with his limp walking through security. There’re just so many mistakes like that, and I’ve even mentioned the fact that the lead homicide detective doesn’t even go to the crime scene when the bodies are there, in fact she doesn’t go for four days.

But I think the bigger problem with this case now, is that police are not doing any interviews with new people. They stopped doing interviews a couple years ago, and now they’re just focusing on getting information, getting data basically. And I’m sure that’s important – the police certainly say it is – but you have to get out there and pound the pavement and talk to people. I think they should be out interviewing all members of the Sherman family again, just to see if they remember something. I think they should be talking to the business colleagues, and maybe some people that didn’t get along with Barry too well – they’re just not doing stuff like that.

11:11-11:30: ads

11:31 Host: You’ve mentioned the mysterious ‘walking man’ a couple times. We didn’t hear very much about this case for a long time and then about a year ago, four years afterward, there’s a sort of bombshell video of this man with the strange gait – let’s talk a little bit about him like – he’s a suspect? I mean, is it me, like, you know, like is it my imagination, is the thinking that he’s some sort of hitman?

11:50 KD: They haven’t said that he’s a hitman and I personally believe that - and you know, what do I know, I’m just a reporter - but I personally believe that the person who wanted Barry and Honey dead, or the people that wanted them dead, did it themselves. I’ve never believed in the theory of the mysterious overseas hitman. But the police are focused on the ‘walking man’ because Barry and Honey are both home by nine o’clock on that Wednesday evening. Honey’s home at eight o’clock, Barry’s home by nine, and they’re killed pretty soon after that. Canvas by the police of the neighbourhood - eventually, when they get around to doing it - they go through and they see ‘Person X’ out walking their dog, ‘Person Y’, you know, get in their car and drive to a store, and they figure out those people aren’t involved. And they find this one individual – somebody between the height of five feet six and five foot nine – walking in the area of the Sherman home, coming right up to the Sherman home, you know, appearing in a video that shows a person is getting close to the Sherman home, then he disappears, ‘cause there’s no video coverage, and then he reappears about an hour later and proceeds east, away from the Sherman home. That’s their reason for thinking this person is suspicious, and sure, it is suspicious.

13:04 Host: You mentioned the Sherman family, can you just talk a little bit about the children, and I know you’ve talked to some of them previously, how are they doing amidst all of this, I mean it’s now, you know, five years without an answer.

13:17 KD: I’ve spoken to Jonathon and Alexandra, two of the four children. Lauren, who is the eldest child, at one point was going to give an interview and then said she didn’t feel comfortable doing that, and Kaelen, the youngest, has never responded to my requests. In the last week we’ve heard a little bit from both children. We’ve heard from Alexandra, who put out a statement to all the media saying what happened to her parents was terrible, please come forward to the police, and if you have information, and by the way, there’s a ten million dollar reward still in place. Just recently Jonathon, in a release to only one media outlet – not us – came out and said the same thing, but also said, I’m going to add twenty-five million dollars to that pot.

14:00 Host: Well, you have spoken to Jonathon and he basically told you that his sister suspects him being involved in this in some way, right?

14:07 KD: That’s right. So by the time I interviewed Jonathon, I’d heard from other people that his sister has this belief that Jonathon is somehow involved. Jonathon, of his own volition during my five hour interview with him, comes out with that information and you know, we published it, quoting Jonathon, that his sister, Alexandra, thinks he had something to do with it. I had asked of course, the natural followup – did you have anything to do with it – and he says no, he was away until just before the murders, he was in Japan for a couple of weeks, got back just the night before. He says that only he knows that he had nothing to do with it. He says it’s ridiculous that anybody would think he had anything to do with it. And he says, you know I was quite close with my father, my father had been supporting my business. But then I asked him about, I’d heard that his father was trying to reign him in a little bit in the weeks leading up to the murders, and he was quite open about that, in fact he provided me emails that showed that in the couple of weeks before the murders, Barry was saying, ‘look Jonathon, you and your business partner need to repay to me fifty to sixty million dollars out of the money I’ve given you over the years, because I need to make a big payment.’ Barry had lost one of his legendary court cases and he needed to scrounge around to get some, quite a bit of cash, and Jonathon said that’s completely normal, he said his father was all-in with Jonathon’s business. ‘Don’t Kevin,’ he says, ‘read anything into that.’ He was very open with this. He didn’t have to give me that information, but he did. He also gave me, I’ve asked everybody in all the hundreds of people I’ve interviewed, ‘where were you the night of the murders?’ - I always ask that question - and he said, ‘I was at home in [north of Toronto]’, he gave me a picture that he took of his hand, holding some crytocurrency codes – he’d been into crypto, he said, when he was in Japan – showed me a picture taken at 7:17 pm on the Wednesday night – that’s the night of, that the murders take place – he said, ‘Look, here’s a picture of my hand, you can see the time code, you can see that it’s taken where my house is, the geographical location,’ and he gave that to me and I found that quite odd, I did point out to him that, you know, I could drive from his house to the Sherman house in thirty minutes, but he was able to, you know, respond to these questions of mine, and didn’t seem nervous at all and it was very interesting to hear his take on it and how open he was about this. I had a feeling that he’d been asked these questions before, quite honestly - not by other media, by the way.

16:36 Host: What has become of the parents’ wealth and the company, Apotex?

16:40 KD: A couple of months ago Apotex was sold, pending regulatory approval, to a New York company that is in the chemical business, not in the chemicals used to make pharmaceuticals, but a different type of chemical business. They bought it, and the sale hasn’t gone through yet because Apotex employs six thousand people in Canada and there’s certain regulatory hoops - the Canadian government doesn’t want Apotex to leave - and so that’s where that stands right now.

Honey had no will, Barry had a will that, should he predecease Honey, she would get almost everything. With Honey gone, it’s a very simple will, it divides it to the four children – one quarter, one quarter, one quarter, one quarter. There’s no money for charity, there’s no money for anybody else, just the four kids. And the children are certainly involved in charities still – Alexandra is most involved, she’s in charge of the charity for, you know, the Sherman group of charities, she personally is quite generous. I know that Jonathon is giving money as well. They’re a very private group, the four children, because of Honey I think, out at just about every charity gala - and they were out there not just giving money, but asking other wealthy people to give – that’s ended. I think there’s probably some charities at this time of year that are hurting a little bit because they don’t have Barry and Honey out there making sure that their coffers are filled.

18:06 Host: Do you think the police have a theory that they’re withholding?

18:09 KD: I do think the police have a theory, I think they are following a theory, I think I’m following the same theory, and they’re withholding the theory because a)they don’t want to hurt their case if it comes out; b)if they’re wrong, they don’t want to harm an innocent person or persons. So it’s this sort of cat-and-mouse game that I play with them in court where I’m trying to get them to admit that they’re going down certain roads, and it’s a game that’s very much still afoot, and I look forward to going back to court in a few months actually.

18:46 Host: Kevin, what are your takeaways from this investigation?

18:48 KD: I think the most important part of this investigation that we’re doing at The Star is, we’re not doing this just because a wealthy couple was murdered. Obviously that’s horrible – and murdered in their own home – that’s a horrible thing to happen, but we’re trying to see how our policing system and justice system deals with a case, and using this one as an example, I’d say the mistakes that we’ve documented can happen in the biggest case that Toronto Police have had to deal with in a long, long time. Along with the McArthur case, I mean these two big cases happening around the same time – if mistakes can happen in those cases, and they happened in both, what about the other cases that fly under the radar. That’s, for me, the takeaway of this. Turns out there’s no system at the Toronto Police to review an investigation to see if it was done correctly. And to me, that’s just shocking. And so what we’re doing here is focusing on this one case and hoping that the Toronto Police will take a solid internal look and make sure that in other cases going forward, they do a better job.

19:57 Host: Well Kevin, I know that you’re still on the case, this has been fantastic for us. It’s always a pleasure talking to you and I want to thank you so much for your time today.

20:05 KD: Thanks for having me on.

20:06 Host: Kevin Donovan is the chief investigative reporter at The Star.

From 2021. TPS released video of the suspect caught on cctv:

TPS statement from video above:

“Security video of person identified as a suspect in the murders of Barry and Honey Sherman who were found dead on December 15, 2017. This person's purpose in the neighbourhood is unexplained. The timing of the appearance is in line with when investigators believe the murders took place. Investigators ask the public to pay particular attention to the person's gait, how they are walking. Through analysis it is believed the suspect is between 5'6 3/4" and 5'9 1/2." There may be a legitimate reason this person is in the neighbourhood and police urge the person to come forward. Anyone with information should call Homicide at 416-808-7400 or give a tip anonymously at Crime Stoppers 416-222-8477 (TIPS).”

From the 2021 press conference (previously posted in this thread), the police said they had this footage from the beginning of their investigation.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm curious if anyone else remembers toward the beginning of this case, when then-Chief Saunders said he had no qualms about disagreeing with the family's notion and insistence that the situation was NOT a murder-suicide (my words, from memory) - that is to say, that although the family may be making a stink about the murder/suicide theory (which police have never admitted to having in the first place), Saunders was making the point that police were not going to be bullied by wealth, nor status in the community, etc., in stating that it WAS murder/suicide, IF that is the conclusion they would eventually come to.

I'm not sure if it was written in a news article, or verbally in a press conference, or a verbal news interview, perhaps on TV? I believe there was at least some discussion about it on here at the time.

Sherman daughter Alexandra K. sang ‘Eli, Eli’ at her parents memorial.

Lyrics:

Eli, Eli

Shelo yigamer le'olam: Hachol vehayam

Rishrush shel hamayim Berak hashamayim

Tefilat ha'adam.

Lyrics in English:

My God, my God,
I pray that it never will end.
The sand and the sea
and the waves breaking and sighing
and high over the water
the wind blowing free.

The lightning and rain and the darkness descending
and ever and ever the nature of man.

It was written by Hannah Szenes.

‘Hannah Szenes (often anglicized as Hannah Senesh or Chanah Senesh; Hebrew: חנה סנש; Hungarian: Szenes Anna; 17 July 1921 – 7 November 1944) was a poet and a Special Operations Executive (SOE) member. She was one of 37 Jewish SOE recruits from Mandate Palestine parachuted by the British into Yugoslavia during the Second World War to assist anti-Nazi forces and ultimately in the rescue of Hungarian Jews about to be deported to the German death camp at Auschwitz.[2]

Szenes was arrested at the Hungarian border by Hungarian gendarmes. She was imprisoned and tortured, but refused to reveal details of her mission. She was eventually tried and executed by firing squad.[2] She is regarded as a national heroine in Israel…’

This is not Alex, but another singer singing the poem:

Last edited:
I have found the Suspicion podcast series by KD to be great, but rather confusing, disjointed, as far as episode numbers/dates, etc... so for my own benefit/use, I created a listing of them including links; there are 9 podcasts in total, 10 if you count the one minute intro. If anyone notices I've missed anything or if there are any errors, would you be so kind as to let me know? Thank you:

Kevin Donovan The Star
Suspicion Podcasts
“The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Introducing Suspicion Season 2, The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman
Listen now
Description
Launching Feb. 10, Season 2 of “Suspicion” brings “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. Barry Sherman was the multibillionaire founder of Canadian pharmaceutical company Apotex and a well-known philanthropist. Honey was a tireless fundraiser involved in charity boards and committees. Hosted by the Star’s award-winning chief investigative reporter Kevin Donovan, the series will feature eight original episodes with friends and family who knew the Shermans best and reveals the inside story of the hunt for the killers. For five years, Donovan covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it. This podcast lets you hear directly from him and his sources. Toronto Star subscribers will also get exclusive early access to behind-the-scenes bonus episodes. If you are not a subscriber, use promo code PODCAST to save 10% on an annual subscription at thestar.com/subscribe.
Introducing Suspicion Season 2, The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the

Introducing Suspicion Season 2, The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman
Launching Feb. 10, Season 2 of “Suspicion” brings “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. Barry Sherman was the multibillionaire founder of Canadian pharmaceutical company Apotex and a well-known philanthropist. Honey was a tireless fundraiser involved in charity boards and committees. Hosted by the Star’s award-winning chief...
Published 02/03/23
--------------------------------------------------------------------
S2 The Billionaire Murders | E1 The Man on the Inside
Listen now
Description
Where are Honey and Barry Sherman? It’s a typical day for these eccentric billionaires but they’re not answering the phone. After a gruesome discovery, the Sherman children decide to tear down the mansion where they grew up. Before wreckers arrive, a mysterious intruder discovers signs of an investigation gone wrong. This is episode one of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Kevin Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Shermans and their estate, and wrote a book about it. Audio sources: CityNews, Global
S2 The Billionaire Murders | E1 The Man on the Inside - Listen - Death in a

Where are Honey and Barry Sherman? It’s a typical day for these eccentric billionaires but they’re not answering the phone. After a gruesome discovery, the Sherman children decide to tear down the mansion where they grew up. Before wreckers arrive, a mysterious intruder discovers signs of an investigation gone wrong. This is episode one of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto...
Published 02/10/23

Early excerpt: Episode 1, The Inside Man
This is an early excerpt from The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman, episode 1, The Inside Man. The full episode drops Friday, February 10. Suspicion is the Toronto Star’s investigative true crime podcast. Season 2 brings “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, the Star’s...
Published 02/08/23
-------------------------------------------------------
S2 The Billionaire Murders | E2 The Bodies
Listen now
Description
After Honey and Barry Sherman are found hanging, police sources say it is a murder-suicide and cause outrage among Sherman friends who believe otherwise. Veteran investigative reporter Kevin Donovan cold calls sources and gets a promising lead. This is episode two of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it. Toronto Star subscribers will also get exclusive early access to behind-the-scenes bonus episodes. If you are not a subscriber, use promo code PODCAST to save 10% on an annual subscription at thestar.com/subscribe. Audio sources: Washington Post, CTV, Canadian Press, Global, Toronto Police Services, CBS
S2 The Billionaire Murders | E2 The Bodies - Listen - Death in a Small Town

After Honey and Barry Sherman are found hanging, police sources say it is a murder-suicide and cause outrage among Sherman friends who believe otherwise. Veteran investigative reporter Kevin Donovan cold calls sources and gets a promising lead. This is episode two of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For...
Published 02/17/23

The Bodies

Hosted by Kevin Donovan, this is episode two of the podcast series “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman.”

By Kevin DonovanChief Investigative Reporter
Fri., Feb. 17, 2023 timer 1 min. read update Article was updated 1 day ago
Listen:
After Honey and Barry Sherman are found hanging, police sources say it is a murder-suicide and cause outrage among Sherman friends who believe otherwise. Veteran investigative reporter Kevin Donovan cold calls sources and gets a promising lead.
Audio sources: Washington Post, CTV, Canadian Press, Global, Toronto Police Services, CBS
The Bodies
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Clintons did it? A bonus episode of ‘The Billionaire Murders’
Listen now
Description
In this bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation into the murders of Honey and Barry Sherman. Titled “The Clintons Did It?” Donovan discusses some of the wild tips and theories he and police have hunted down, and outlines one tip that sounds promising and right out of a spy novel. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it.
The Clintons did it? A bonus episode of ‘The Billionaire Murders’ - Listen -

Excerpt: The Clintons did it? A bonus episode of ‘The Billionaire Murders’ at thestar.com
This episode is available to subscribers of the Toronto Star on February 24 at thestar.com/billionairemurders. Or it will be free in your feeds March 3. In this bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation into the murders of Honey and Barry Sherman. Donovan discusses some of the wild tips and theories he and police have hunted down, and outlines one tip that sounds promising and right out of a spy novel. You can...
Published 02/24/23

In this bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation into the murders of Honey and Barry Sherman. Titled “The Clintons Did It?” Donovan discusses some of the wild tips and theories he and police have hunted down, and outlines one tip that sounds promising and right out of a spy novel. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case...
Published 03/03/23
Loosening lips: What Sherman friends and family might be trying to hide (bonus episode)
Listen now
Description
In this second bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation and what it took to speak openly with family and friends, and get the inside story on the lives and deaths of Honey and Barry Sherman. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it.
Loosening lips: What Sherman friends and family might be trying to hide (bonus

Loosening lips: What Sherman friends and family might be trying to hide (bonus episode)
In this second bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation and what it took to speak openly with family and friends, and get the inside story on the lives and deaths of Honey and Barry Sherman. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in...
Published 03/17/23

Loosening lips: What Sherman friends and family might be trying to hide

“The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is hosted by Kevin Donovan.

Fri., March 10, 2023 timer 1 min. read update Article was updated 2 days ago
The Toronto Star’s Kevin Donovan takes you behind the scenes on what it took to speak openly with family and friends, and get the inside story on the lives and deaths of Honey and Barry Sherman.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wannabe lawyer: The secret handshake and other tips to unseal Sherman secrets (bonus episode)
Listen now
Description
The Toronto Star’s Kevin Donovan brings you along for the ride as he argues in court to unseal documents related to the Sherman homicide investigation and the multi-billion dollar estate of Honey and Barry Sherman, which the police say is part of their probe. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it. Audio sources: CTV News, Global News, Court audio with permission of Supreme Court of Canada. Full hearing can be found here.
Wannabe lawyer: The secret handshake and other tips to unseal Sherman secrets

Wannabe lawyer: The secret handshake and other tips to unseal Sherman secrets (bonus episode)
The Toronto Star’s Kevin Donovan brings you along for the ride as he argues in court to unseal documents related to the Sherman homicide investigation and the multi-billion dollar estate of Honey and Barry Sherman, which the police say is part of their probe. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt...
Published 03/24/23

“The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is season two of the podcast series “Suspicion.”

Fri., March 24, 2023 timer 1 min. read update Article was updated 2 days ago
The Toronto Star’s Kevin Donovan brings you along for the ride as he argues in court to unseal documents related to the Sherman homicide investigation and the multi-billion dollar estate of Honey and Barry Sherman, which the police say is part of their probe.
Audio sources: CTV News, Global News, Court audio with permission of Supreme Court of Canada. Full hearing can be found here.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Police, meet Mr. Risky Business (a.k.a. Mr. Barry Sherman)

This is the fourth bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman.”

Fri., April 7, 2023 timer 1 min. read update Article was updated 2 days ago
Barry Sherman was up millions one day, down millions the next. That’s just how he rolled, gambling on everything from drugs to cow flatulence cures. Now try being a homicide detective used to street murders, suddenly investigating a high society murder.
-----------------------------------------------------------
S2 The Billionaire Murders | E3 The Day They Died
Listen now
Description
We follow the footsteps of Honey and Barry Sherman and the mysterious "Walking Man" as they converge on Old Colony Rd., in what became a horrible, murderous evening. But the day started with smiles and workouts. Hannukah had just begun. Honey had presents to buy for grandchildren and Barry had drug battles to fight. Audio Sources: Toronto Police Press Conferences, Sherman private investigation press conference
S2 The Billionaire Murders | E3 The Day They Died - Listen - Death in a Small

We follow the footsteps of Honey and Barry Sherman and the mysterious "Walking Man" as they converge on Old Colony Rd., in what became a horrible, murderous evening. But the day started with smiles and workouts. Hannukah had just begun. Honey had presents to buy for grandchildren and Barry had...
Published 04/14/23
--------------------------------------------
S2 The Billionaire Murders | E4 King and Queen
Listen now
Description
Barry Sherman the Generous, the Brilliant, the Tough Negotiator. Honey Sherman the Ferocious, the Brave, the Fundraiser. It was love at first sight in the ‘70s and together they raised a family and built a business. Honey’s roots were in the Holocaust and Barry’s in a family where the men died young. Audio: UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, Sherman Funeral
S2 The Billionaire Murders | E4 King and Queen - Listen - Death in a Small Town

Barry Sherman the Generous, the Brilliant, the Tough Negotiator. Honey Sherman the Ferocious, the Brave, the Fundraiser. It was love at first sight in the ‘70s and together they raised a family and built a business. Honey’s roots were in the Holocaust and Barry’s in a family where the men died...
Published 04/21/23

King and Queen Sherman

Hosted by Kevin Donovan, this is episode four of the podcast series “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman.”

Fri., April 14, 2023 timer 1 min. read update Article was updated 1 day ago
Note to listeners: On Monday, April 17 at 1 p.m Kevin Donovan will answer your Honey and Barry Sherman case questions at this link.
Barry Sherman — the generous, the brilliant, the tough negotiator. Honey Sherman — the ferocious, the brave, the fundraiser. It was love at first sight when they met in the 1970s. Together they raised a family and built a business. Honey’s roots were in the Holocaust and Barry’s in a family where the men died young.
Listen:
Audio Sources: UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, Sherman Funeral
King and Queen Sherman
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wrong turns in the Sherman investigation

Hosted by Kevin Donovan, this is episode five of the podcast series “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman.”

By Kevin Donovan Chief Investigative Reporter
Fri., April 21, 2023 timer 1 min. read
When the lead Toronto homicide detective avoids the crime scene and juniors can’t walk across the road to collect key surveillance video, that’s a sign of a poor investigation. And that was just day one after Honey and Barry Sherman were found dead. Join veteran investigative reporter Kevin Donovan as he details the mistakes that turned this case cold.
Audio Sources: Sherman family reward press conference, Toronto Police, Law and Order NBC, CTV News, CP24

I have found the Suspicion podcast series by KD to be great, but rather confusing, disjointed, as far as episode numbers/dates, etc... so for my own benefit/use, I created a listing of them including links; there are 9 podcasts in total, 10 if you count the one minute intro. If anyone notices I've missed anything or if there are any errors, would you be so kind as to let me know? Thank you:

Kevin Donovan The Star
Suspicion Podcasts

Listen now
Description
Launching Feb. 10, Season 2 of “Suspicion” brings “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. Barry Sherman was the multibillionaire founder of Canadian pharmaceutical company Apotex and a well-known philanthropist. Honey was a tireless fundraiser involved in charity boards and committees. Hosted by the Star’s award-winning chief investigative reporter Kevin Donovan, the series will feature eight original episodes with friends and family who knew the Shermans best and reveals the inside story of the hunt for the killers. For five years, Donovan covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it. This podcast lets you hear directly from him and his sources. Toronto Star subscribers will also get exclusive early access to behind-the-scenes bonus episodes. If you are not a subscriber, use promo code PODCAST to save 10% on an annual subscription at thestar.com/subscribe.

Launching Feb. 10, Season 2 of “Suspicion” brings “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. Barry Sherman was the multibillionaire founder of Canadian pharmaceutical company Apotex and a well-known philanthropist. Honey was a tireless fundraiser involved in charity boards and committees. Hosted by the Star’s award-winning chief...
Published 02/03/23
Listen now
Description
Where are Honey and Barry Sherman? It’s a typical day for these eccentric billionaires but they’re not answering the phone. After a gruesome discovery, the Sherman children decide to tear down the mansion where they grew up. Before wreckers arrive, a mysterious intruder discovers signs of an investigation gone wrong. This is episode one of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Kevin Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Shermans and their estate, and wrote a book about it. Audio sources: CityNews, Global

Where are Honey and Barry Sherman? It’s a typical day for these eccentric billionaires but they’re not answering the phone. After a gruesome discovery, the Sherman children decide to tear down the mansion where they grew up. Before wreckers arrive, a mysterious intruder discovers signs of an investigation gone wrong. This is episode one of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto...
Published 02/10/23

This is an early excerpt from The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman, episode 1, The Inside Man. The full episode drops Friday, February 10. Suspicion is the Toronto Star’s investigative true crime podcast. Season 2 brings “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, the Star’s...
Published 02/08/23
Listen now
Description
After Honey and Barry Sherman are found hanging, police sources say it is a murder-suicide and cause outrage among Sherman friends who believe otherwise. Veteran investigative reporter Kevin Donovan cold calls sources and gets a promising lead. This is episode two of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it. Toronto Star subscribers will also get exclusive early access to behind-the-scenes bonus episodes. If you are not a subscriber, use promo code PODCAST to save 10% on an annual subscription at thestar.com/subscribe. Audio sources: Washington Post, CTV, Canadian Press, Global, Toronto Police Services, CBS

After Honey and Barry Sherman are found hanging, police sources say it is a murder-suicide and cause outrage among Sherman friends who believe otherwise. Veteran investigative reporter Kevin Donovan cold calls sources and gets a promising lead. This is episode two of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For...
Published 02/17/23

The Bodies

Hosted by Kevin Donovan, this is episode two of the podcast series “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman.”

Listen:
After Honey and Barry Sherman are found hanging, police sources say it is a murder-suicide and cause outrage among Sherman friends who believe otherwise. Veteran investigative reporter Kevin Donovan cold calls sources and gets a promising lead.
Audio sources: Washington Post, CTV, Canadian Press, Global, Toronto Police Services, CBS
The Bodies
Listen now
Description
In this bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation into the murders of Honey and Barry Sherman. Titled “The Clintons Did It?” Donovan discusses some of the wild tips and theories he and police have hunted down, and outlines one tip that sounds promising and right out of a spy novel. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it.

Excerpt: The Clintons did it? A bonus episode of ‘The Billionaire Murders’ at thestar.com
This episode is available to subscribers of the Toronto Star on February 24 at thestar.com/billionairemurders. Or it will be free in your feeds March 3. In this bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation into the murders of Honey and Barry Sherman. Donovan discusses some of the wild tips and theories he and police have hunted down, and outlines one tip that sounds promising and right out of a spy novel. You can...
Published 02/24/23

In this bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation into the murders of Honey and Barry Sherman. Titled “The Clintons Did It?” Donovan discusses some of the wild tips and theories he and police have hunted down, and outlines one tip that sounds promising and right out of a spy novel. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case...
Published 03/03/23
Listen now
Description
In this second bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation and what it took to speak openly with family and friends, and get the inside story on the lives and deaths of Honey and Barry Sherman. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it.

In this second bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders,” we take listeners behind the scenes of reporter Kevin Donovan’s investigation and what it took to speak openly with family and friends, and get the inside story on the lives and deaths of Honey and Barry Sherman. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in...
Published 03/17/23

“The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is hosted by Kevin Donovan.

The Toronto Star’s Kevin Donovan takes you behind the scenes on what it took to speak openly with family and friends, and get the inside story on the lives and deaths of Honey and Barry Sherman.
Listen now
Description
The Toronto Star’s Kevin Donovan brings you along for the ride as he argues in court to unseal documents related to the Sherman homicide investigation and the multi-billion dollar estate of Honey and Barry Sherman, which the police say is part of their probe. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it. Audio sources: CTV News, Global News, Court audio with permission of Supreme Court of Canada. Full hearing can be found here.

The Toronto Star’s Kevin Donovan brings you along for the ride as he argues in court to unseal documents related to the Sherman homicide investigation and the multi-billion dollar estate of Honey and Barry Sherman, which the police say is part of their probe. “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt...
Published 03/24/23

“The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman” is season two of the podcast series “Suspicion.”

The Toronto Star’s Kevin Donovan brings you along for the ride as he argues in court to unseal documents related to the Sherman homicide investigation and the multi-billion dollar estate of Honey and Barry Sherman, which the police say is part of their probe.
Audio sources: CTV News, Global News, Court audio with permission of Supreme Court of Canada. Full hearing can be found here.

This is the fourth bonus episode of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman.”

Barry Sherman was up millions one day, down millions the next. That’s just how he rolled, gambling on everything from drugs to cow flatulence cures. Now try being a homicide detective used to street murders, suddenly investigating a high society murder.
Listen now
Description
We follow the footsteps of Honey and Barry Sherman and the mysterious "Walking Man" as they converge on Old Colony Rd., in what became a horrible, murderous evening. But the day started with smiles and workouts. Hannukah had just begun. Honey had presents to buy for grandchildren and Barry had drug battles to fight. Audio Sources: Toronto Police Press Conferences, Sherman private investigation press conference

We follow the footsteps of Honey and Barry Sherman and the mysterious "Walking Man" as they converge on Old Colony Rd., in what became a horrible, murderous evening. But the day started with smiles and workouts. Hannukah had just begun. Honey had presents to buy for grandchildren and Barry had...
Published 04/14/23
Listen now
Description
Barry Sherman the Generous, the Brilliant, the Tough Negotiator. Honey Sherman the Ferocious, the Brave, the Fundraiser. It was love at first sight in the ‘70s and together they raised a family and built a business. Honey’s roots were in the Holocaust and Barry’s in a family where the men died young. Audio: UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, Sherman Funeral

Barry Sherman the Generous, the Brilliant, the Tough Negotiator. Honey Sherman the Ferocious, the Brave, the Fundraiser. It was love at first sight in the ‘70s and together they raised a family and built a business. Honey’s roots were in the Holocaust and Barry’s in a family where the men died...
Published 04/21/23

King and Queen Sherman

Hosted by Kevin Donovan, this is episode four of the podcast series “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman.”

Note to listeners: On Monday, April 17 at 1 p.m Kevin Donovan will answer your Honey and Barry Sherman case questions at this link.
Barry Sherman — the generous, the brilliant, the tough negotiator. Honey Sherman — the ferocious, the brave, the fundraiser. It was love at first sight when they met in the 1970s. Together they raised a family and built a business. Honey’s roots were in the Holocaust and Barry’s in a family where the men died young.
Listen:
King and Queen Sherman

Hosted by Kevin Donovan, this is episode five of the podcast series “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman.”

When the lead Toronto homicide detective avoids the crime scene and juniors can’t walk across the road to collect key surveillance video, that’s a sign of a poor investigation. And that was just day one after Honey and Barry Sherman were found dead. Join veteran investigative reporter Kevin Donovan as he details the mistakes that turned this case cold.
Audio Sources: Sherman family reward press conference, Toronto Police, Law and Order NBC, CTV News, CP24

Do not get me wrong I read and like KD articles and his book too, but IMO I am surprised that a chief investigative officer would not know and report how evidence is collected properly. IMO the only subliminal message I hear is that our LE are less intelligent than me and all others and that we should not trust them.

We had a murder happen across the street and around a corner and we have a camera out front. We were spoken to by a detective within 6 hours of the murder, LE wanted to know what we saw AND Advised that a technical expert would be visiting us in the next day or two to collect our video evidence, we were given a card of who that person is and we provided our contact number. We were called and asked to copy a specific time period and have ready for pick up.

I must assume this is the procedure for TPS as well, regular detectives do not collect the evidence, they assign the proper resources to collect it so it can be usable for court.

Kevin Donovan The Star
Suspicion Podcasts

Listen now
Description

Published 02/03/23
Listen now
Description

Published 02/10/23

Published 02/08/23
Listen now
Description

Published 02/17/23

The Bodies

Listen:
The Bodies
Listen now
Description

Published 02/24/23

Published 03/03/23
Listen now
Description

Published 03/17/23

Listen now
Description

Published 03/24/23

Listen now
Description

Published 04/14/23
Listen now
Description

Published 04/21/23

King and Queen Sherman

Listen:
King and Queen Sherman

'This is episode six of the podcast series “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” hosted by Kevin Donovan.'​

April 28 2023
''All the money in the world can’t buy happiness and the home of Honey and Barry Sherman tells that story. Honey was tough on the kids. Barry was a soft touch. Riches were doled out unevenly and there was division over each other’s lives. Then there were the four cousins who went after Barry in the courts.

This is episode six of “The Billionaire Murders: The hunt for the killers of Honey and Barry Sherman,” a “Suspicion” podcast probing the strange case of the famous Toronto couple who were found strangled in their north Toronto home in 2017. For five years, investigative reporter Kevin Donovan has covered the case for the Star, fought court battles to access documents on the police investigation and the Sherman estate, and wrote a book about it.''

The pool room where the Shermans were discovered on December 15th, 2017.

*Caution: This post may be disturbing as it involves details of the crime scene where the Shermans were found.

(The Shermans moved into the newly built home on Old Colony in 1990)..

‘…But four years later, the Shermans noticed design and construction flaws with the roof of their underground parking garage and air-conditioning system. Barry and Honey sued those involved in building their house – the design consultants, construction company, architects, engineering firm, landscape architects, landscapers and tennis-court designers.

The lawsuit dragged on throughout the late 1990s. By 2002, the Shermans had settled with mostly everyone except one company. They then sued Ontario's new-home warranty program because it didn't compensate them for the defective construction.

The faulty garage structure at the heart of the dispute, which included a tennis court on top and a sauna and underground pool inside, was a key part of their house. It was used for social events, such as charity functions and formal dinners.’

Floor plan of basement. The pool room was completely underground, above it was an outdoor tennis court. Area where the bodies were discovered are circled in blue.

75A2EE3C-906D-43CD-A53D-B4B0D4243BBB.jpeg

Original unmarked image from https://media.houssmax.ca/201711/29/5a1f32afd3797.pdf

Real estate photos of basement spiral staircase, which was next to the garage and the hallway that led to the pool room; and pool area where Shermans were found.
2086913C-2D11-4DDA-8398-BC6577E319DF.jpeg

Photos from houssmax.ca, and Building of Sherman's North York dream home was a 'disaster' that led to litigation

‘The pool was at the rear of the house, adjacent to a sunken garage and accessible from the rest of the basement by a long, narrow hallway. The agent, entering first, was the one who found them. Barry and Honey, spouses of more than 40 years, were side by side on the floor, their necks tied with men’s leather belts to a metal railing, about three and a half feet high, that ran around one end of the pool. Barry, heavyset with a crown of frizzy, thinning gray-and-brown hair, was seated, legs extended forward and crossed neatly at the ankles. Honey, who had a blond bob and an athletic frame, was slumped on her side and appeared to have been struck on her face…… Both were facing away from the water and fully clothed, although one of the belts seemed to have been taken from Barry’s trousers…’

_______

From the Toronto Star:

F401CB0E-3A82-4AEB-A138-9831A5858BC2.jpegEF50E40F-8BCC-4A63-8FA8-8528D9EEEDDB.jpeg
Illustrations above from: Large amount of cash found in Honey and Barry Sherman’s wallets ruled out a break-in | The Star

Kevin Donovan’s report on the crime scene photos he viewed:

“…the Shermans were seated on the pool deck floor. The photos show some tension from the belts around their necks but not enough (forensic sources have told me) to cause death by suicide, given their positioning. There was simply not enough weight on the belts to cause death….

…The location of the bodies is the most remote part of the Sherman house, and the pool was rarely used — the water was green, the pool cover was on, and the room had not been cleaned for three weeks. My speculation is that this area was chosen so that it would be a considerable amount of time before they were discovered…

…In the photos I have seen there are what appear to be faint drag marks on the tiled floors, possibly from the heels of one of the Shermans’ shoes, which end at the bodies. From the police documents, we know that the Sherman cleaning staff had not visited the room for three weeks, so the faint marks were likely made in dust on the floor.

The bodies have been placed in such a manner that someone walking in would see Honey first, then Barry, on the other side of Honey.

There is a three-foot-high chrome safety railing along the side of the pool where the Shermans were found. As the police documents detail, and the photos show, the Shermans are tied to the railing with men’s leather belts…

…(Honey) is fully dressed, wearing dark pants, a blouse and a blue vest. <note: that is what she was reportedly wearing when last seen alive on December 13th> Her rear end is on the floor, her legs stretched out in front. Her shoes, simple black slip-ons,…are almost touching the wall that faces the pool. Police, in their interviews with Sherman family and friends, asked if it was their mother’s practice to take her shoes off when she came home. The children were uncertain.

Seated on the floor, she is tipped back at the waist to a position that I estimate from the photos is a 20- to 30-degree angle. (Ninety degrees would be seated upright.) The belt that is looped around her neck has its pressure point at the back of her neck. Decomposition (the bodies were there for 36 hours) could account for her body shifting down somewhat, but likely not too much…

…In Honey’s case, and Barry’s as well, the free end of the belt is looped through the buckle and cinched around the neck, and the free end is tied tightly to the railing, keeping them from falling backwards into the pool. On the pool railing near where Honey’s belt is tied there is a small smear of blood. There is also a smear of blood on the breast of a blue vest she is wearing. The information I have seen does not say whose blood it is.

Some media reports have said that Honey’s face looked like she was the victim of a severe beating. That is not the case. There is a mark on one cheek, but it is minor. There is blood on her face, but it appears to have come from her nose as a result of the strangulation that killed her.

Barry is situated on the other side of Honey. He is attached to the angled railing a little bit farther back, which explains why, though he is taller than Honey, his feet are roughly one foot from the wall. He, too, is wearing his shoes. His right leg is crossed over the other at the ankle. He is wearing his glasses...

…Like Honey, Barry is seated, rear end on the pool deck, his torso tipped back but at a less severe angle than Honey. His head is slumped forward slightly, with the belt tension under his chin…

…Sources say that based on an examination of the crime scene, it is most likely that the Shermans were not killed at the spot where they were found. One theory is that Honey was surprised on the main floor when she arrived home that night, and killed there and brought down to the basement swimming pool room.”

NOTES: The Toronto Star has reported that thin ligatures were used to bind the Shermans’ wrists and to strangle them, but those items were not found at the home. The way the belts were placed on the Shermans is believed to be part of staging of the scene, according to the Toronto Star. Kevin Donovan has reported that the belts used were newly purchased from Canadian Tire. One was worn by Barry to work on the last day he was seen alive, the other belt had been left in his dressing area on the top floor. (The belts were identical, except for their size.)

The real estate agent who discovered the bodies said the lights were off in the pool room. The room was dark except for pool lights were that were on which emitted a faint glow to the room. (The pool was covered.)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJAY0618
Back