Identified! Canada - Casselman, Ont, 'Nation River Lady' WhtFem 239UFON, 25-50, May'75 *POI charged* - Jewell Parchman Langford

The accused also was associated with Westmount High, wondering if he attended school there, and if by small chance he went to L A. California?
Yes, slightly curious if he knew murdered Reet J. speculation, imo. rbbm

''Quebec court records indicate that Nichols lived in Côte-des-Neiges during the 1970s.

Nadeau said Langford and Nichols knew each other in 1975. He also said the cold case is believed to be the first in Ontario to be solved through forensic genealogy.''

''When Langford’s body was discovered, her wrists were tied with a man’s necktie, while two other neckties bound her ankles. One of the neckties, known as a “Canada” tie for its decorative Canada flags, was manufactured in Montreal and sold in stores in Quebec, eastern Ontario and Toronto.''
Have you forwarded this information to LE? Looks like LE missed many clues in the Langford case.

Have you forwarded this information to LE? Looks like LE missed many clues in the Langford case.

In Reet Jurvetson's case, they probably assumed that, since she was living in the US, she was killed by an American from the LA area. Her sister was very descriptive of the man Reet had met in Montreal who moved to California. LA police probably still have the name of the persons she was hanging out with in LA.

Any ideas of how we can find a photo of Rodney Nichols from back in the 70's?

Last edited:

Thinking that LE are keeping details about the suspect low key until he is returned to Canada.

Not that i think he is a strong contender for the Reet murder, just mentioning in case- you never know. Generally i just post stuff here and leave it at that. imo.fwiw
''According to documents filed at the courthouse in L'Orignal, Ont., east of Ottawa, he was formally charged with Langford's homicide on Sept. 8, 2022.
OPP never publicly announced the laying of the charge in this case, which was initially subject to a publication ban pending Nichols's return to Canada. The publication ban has since been lifted, but the case had not yet been reported in the media.''

''While the charge was formally laid before the Ontario Court of Justice late last year, the OPP did make a public announcement at the time. The police believe prematurely sharing developments in the investigation could have jeopardized the investigation and ensuing court processes, including potential extradition from the United States.''
: Jul 07, 2023
''Barring legal delays in Florida, where 81-year-old Rodney Nichols lives, the only other potential hurdle is the man's advanced age, says Currie.

"There are times when people will resist extradition on the basis, essentially, that they're too old or too sick, or that it would be inhumane on that basis to extradite them," he said.

"But ... the Canadian prison system is reasonably able to accommodate people who are older or people who have health problems. So again that might not put up a barrier itself, but it certainly might add to the time that it takes."

According to several sources, she met the accused, Rodney Nichols, in Florida, and the pair lived together in Montreal for a short time before she disappeared.

When she was first declared missing, the Service de Police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM) investigated and shared news of her disappearance with the media and other police forces. By that time, Parchman Langford was already dead.

Investigators did not realize a body found 150 kilometres west of Montreal several months earlier was actually Parchman Langford.

Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) found the woman floating in Nation River just off Highway 417 near Casselman, Ont., in May 1975.

"In 1975, everything was done by telephone, fax or mail," said de Repentigny in an email. "Now, information about a body found can be shared rapidly with all police services in the province, the country or even internationally, making identification much easier."

Former SPVM detective Minh Tri Truong believes the investigation would have had a much better chance of success in 1975 if police had connected the discovery of the body with Parchman Langford's disappearance.

"If they had made a link, it would have changed [the investigation] on several fronts," says the 30-year veteran of the SPVM. "Murder charges without the body being found, in the history of Canada, there have been four or five, no more."

According to several sources, she met the accused, Rodney Nichols, in Florida, and the pair lived together in Montreal for a short time before she disappeared.

When she was first declared missing, the Service de Police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM) investigated and shared news of her disappearance with the media and other police forces. By that time, Parchman Langford was already dead.

Investigators did not realize a body found 150 kilometres west of Montreal several months earlier was actually Parchman Langford.

Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) found the woman floating in Nation River just off Highway 417 near Casselman, Ont., in May 1975.

"In 1975, everything was done by telephone, fax or mail," said de Repentigny in an email. "Now, information about a body found can be shared rapidly with all police services in the province, the country or even internationally, making identification much easier."

Former SPVM detective Minh Tri Truong believes the investigation would have had a much better chance of success in 1975 if police had connected the discovery of the body with Parchman Langford's disappearance.

"If they had made a link, it would have changed [the investigation] on several fronts," says the 30-year veteran of the SPVM. "Murder charges without the body being found, in the history of Canada, there have been four or five, no more."

Great article with good information about Rodney Nichols and Jewell Parchman Langford.
  • They met in Florida, she moved to Montreal and lived with him there for a short period of time
  • Her family stopped hearing from Jewell in April 1975;
  • Family member traveled to Montreal in June 1975 to look for her; they talked to Montreal police
  • Family filed a Missing Persons report in August 1975
  • Nichols continued to use Jewell's car, a Cadillac, after she went missing
  • Nichols was playing with the Westmount Rugby Club at the time Jewell went missing
  • Friend says he was fun and gregarious back then, surprised at his arrest, says he met Jewell with Rodney, who described her as a "love interest"
  • Nichols is now 81 and lives in an assisted-living facility in Hollywood, FL
  • He was born in 1942 in Middleton, Nova Scotia; his parents were posted in the UK during WWII
  • He joined the British Army in 1961, but only served 1 yr, didn't complete his training
  • No mention of Nichols having a job or career, other than playing on a local rugby team
  • Nichols was 34 at the time Jewell went missing, she was 48
JMO, it sounds like they met on a spring break-type vacation in FL. He invited her to come to Montreal. She went there for a while, perhaps discovered he wasn't as successful as he claimed. The relationship cooled, perhaps there was a joint business plan that soured. She was planning to move back to TN, etc.

ETA: If he's living in an "assisted living" facility, it means he's in fairly good health, able to get around and live independently. Seems he could potentially be able to travel to Canada to stand trial, JMO

Just curious about his citizenship status. Was he born in Canada? If he's a Canadian citizen, why is he in a nursing home in FL? Perhaps he later became a US citizen.

I'm just throwing out questions, none of us know yet. With these types you always wonder if they have other victims.
Lots of French Canadians retire to Florida, I don't know if he was one by birth or not, but it is a very popular retirement and vacation destination for the elderly Quebecois (with enough money). Pretty much everyone I went to school with had grandparents who had retired or at least had winters in Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton, etc.

Yes, (I lived there too for elementary school, tho not wealthy!), but while the club was (is) based/funded out of a private school there, I doubt they've ever restricted players to only people that live in the area.

But I noticed, while the Gazette says he lived in Cote-de-neige (a cheap university area with lots of apartments), the address associated with the court case is in a very nice suburb of Montreal...69 Kirkwood, Beaconsfield....so perhaps he was well off.

JMO
Lol my experience might have been colored by my childhood going to a very wealthy, well-known private school in Westmount, where everyone but me was very wealthy.

[*]Nichols continued to use Jewell's car, a Cadillac, after she went missing...
[*]Nichols was 34 at the time Jewell went missing, she was 48
RSBM
These points raise red flags to me that perhaps his interest in her was never love, (or maybe love of a cadillac).

"When Rozenblat and other teammates later asked about Parchman Langford, Nichols told them she had left and he didn't know where she had gone"

"According to the Parchman Langford family, they stopped hearing from Jewell in April 1975."

"Langford... left Madison County for Montreal, a journey of 1,200 kilometres, in April 1975."

Her body was found May 3.
It was estimated at the time (see first post in thread), she'd been dead at least a week, so killed sometime before April 26...

I was confused that the photos in MMM are when she was younger and had black hair, yet the reconstruction of the Nation River victim was blonde.

Found this image, the last known photo taken of her:

jewell-parchman-langford-1975-1068x1115.jpeg
The caption says it was taken April 20, 1975. I think she must have been in Montreal, and mailed it to her family.

So, she drove to Montreal at some point in April, which would take severals days I think, when roads were poorer and speed limits 55 mph.

Then, she was killed between April 20 & 26, seems to me.

JMO

Last edited:
RSBM
These points raise red flags to me that perhaps his interest in her was never love, (or maybe love of a cadillac).

"When Rozenblat and other teammates later asked about Parchman Langford, Nichols told them she had left and he didn't know where she had gone"

"According to the Parchman Langford family, they stopped hearing from Jewell in April 1975."

"Langford... left Madison County for Montreal, a journey of 1,200 kilometres, in April 1975."

Her body was found May 3.
It was estimated at the time (see first post in thread), she'd been dead at least a week, so killed sometime before April 26...

I was confused that the photos in MMM are when she was younger and had black hair, yet the reconstruction of the Nation River victim was blonde.

Found this image, the last known photo taken of her:

View attachment 434528
The caption says it was taken April 20, 1975. I think she must have been in Montreal, and mailed it to her family.

So, she drove to Montreal at some point in April, which would take severals days I think, when roads were poorer and speed limits 55 mph.

Then, she was killed between April 20 & 26, seems to me.

JMO

Thanks @Springrain and @Cedars for that timeline and local information. It appears she hadn't been there very long before she was killed.

Speculation: The case of Napanee Jane Doe 1984 is similar in that victim was presumed to have been murdered in Quebec but body left by roadside in Ontario, Canada. Napanee body found near Newburgh, On, close to Palace Rd highway 401 exit. Unidentified, possibly because Napanee victim not a Canadian. Langford‘s killer had possible serial killer trait: fondness for dark puns. (1). Langford‘s killer left victim’s ankle bound with a necktie bearing a Canadian emblem on it, hinting at victim and/or perpetrator having a “tie to Canada.”
(Dark pun example: Serial killer Sean Vincent Gillis left body near “Dead End” sign).
Also consider possibility that Langford suspect may have had dual citizenship, and/or property in US, or had relative with property in US.

Speculation: The case of Napanee Jane Doe 1984 is similar in that victim was presumed to have been murdered in Quebec but body left by roadside in Ontario, Canada. Napanee body found near Newburgh, On, close to Palace Rd highway 401 exit. Unidentified, possibly because Napanee victim not a Canadian. Langford‘s killer had possible serial killer trait: fondness for dark puns. (1). Langford‘s killer left victim’s ankle bound with a necktie bearing a Canadian emblem on it, hinting at victim and/or perpetrator having a “tie to Canada.”
(Dark pun example: Serial killer Sean Vincent Gillis left body near “Dead End” sign).
Also consider possibility that Langford suspect may have had dual citizenship, and/or property in US, or had relative with property in US.

The use of a necktie to bind victims is eerily similar.

Even with blonde hair, I still don't think there are any similarities with this "recreation" (no shade to the artist).
I love how Canada purports to be able to accommodate senior inmates. Would love to hear the description of amenities for the golden yeared criminals. Must be similar to Sweat Lodge type accommodations. Doubtful the criminals would feel the desire to obtain a University Education like so many of our famous inmates have done. Did Bill Cosby attend one of these types of facilities in US? Surely he qualified?

Thanks for checking to see what kind of neighborhood he was living in. The house at that address today looks rather new, so probably isn't the original one. The neighborhood, as you say, is very nice.

I wonder if he was the kind of guy who flirted and chased divorced or widowed women with money? I wish we could find an older photo of him. I wonder who he was suing in court and why?
Go back in time to 2009 and cruise the street. Lots of remodeling and upgrades have been done. It appears Nichol's home got a major upgrade around 2017. It doesn't even look like the same home! Maybe it was demolished and rebuilt?

Some homes in the neighborhood appear to be have been almost raised and rebuilt since 2009.

Imagining it in the 70s: The street is nice, but not fancy. It appears more "Suburban comfortable", "great place to raise a family" than wealthy.

Last edited:
Go back in time to 2009 and cruise the street. Lots of remodeling and upgrades have been done. It appears Nichol's home got a major upgrade around 2017. It doesn't even look like the same home! Maybe it was demolished and rebuilt?

Some homes in the neighborhood appear to be have been almost raised and rebuilt since 2009.

Imagining it in the 70s: The street is nice, but not fancy. It appears more "Suburban comfortable", "great place to raise a family" than wealthy.
Yes, a very different home, more modest.

Great article with good information about Rodney Nichols and Jewell Parchman Langford.
  • They met in Florida, she moved to Montreal and lived with him there for a short period of time
  • Her family stopped hearing from Jewell in April 1975;
  • Family member traveled to Montreal in June 1975 to look for her; they talked to Montreal police
  • Family filed a Missing Persons report in August 1975
  • Nichols continued to use Jewell's car, a Cadillac, after she went missing
  • Nichols was playing with the Westmount Rugby Club at the time Jewell went missing
  • Friend says he was fun and gregarious back then, surprised at his arrest, says he met Jewell with Rodney, who described her as a "love interest"
  • Nichols is now 81 and lives in an assisted-living facility in Hollywood, FL
  • He was born in 1942 in Middleton, Nova Scotia; his parents were posted in the UK during WWII
  • He joined the British Army in 1961, but only served 1 yr, didn't complete his training
  • No mention of Nichols having a job or career, other than playing on a local rugby team
  • Nichols was 34 at the time Jewell went missing, she was 48
JMO, it sounds like they met on a spring break-type vacation in FL. He invited her to come to Montreal. She went there for a while, perhaps discovered he wasn't as successful as he claimed. The relationship cooled, perhaps there was a joint business plan that soured. She was planning to move back to TN, etc.

ETA: If he's living in an "assisted living" facility, it means he's in fairly good health, able to get around and live independently. Seems he could potentially be able to travel to Canada to stand trial, JMO
Adding to the timeline from the article:
He was still playing rugby in Canada in 1983

I don't know if he's a US citizen, but here are several ways to obtain citizenship:
Marriage and money. (Yes, you can buy citizenship)

Wish he had a middle name.

There are a few marriages in Florida with his name.
There is a divorce for someone with his age and name in Florida (1990)
There is someone with his name and age residing in Florida in 1995.
There is someone with his name and age with "connections" to Hollywood, Florida and another state.

Caveat: name and age don't mean much and it could be a different person, especially since we don't have a middle name for this guy.

Or he could have been married and resided somewhere else in the US and became a citizen and retired in Florida recently. Since he's in an assisted living community, there probably wouldn't be a FL paper trail for him....
Who knows.....But there are numerous ways he could have become a US citizen.

(Also, if going back 30 years or more, he could have possibly had a fraudulent citizenship and they're having to check things out before he's extradited)

Last edited:

Yes, it was a middle class Anglophone suburb not the old stone mansions in Westmount where the accused played rugby.

However, there's no indication that Jewell ever stayed there. The media only references the accused's apartment in Cote-de-Neiges, a lively, cheap, multicultural neighbourhood, frequented by students. No address has ever been given.

JMO

Adding to the timeline from the article:
He was still playing rugby in Canada in 1983

I don't know if he's a US citizen, but here are several ways to obtain citizenship:
Marriage and money. (Yes, you can buy citizenship)

Wish he had a middle name.

There are a few marriages in Florida with his name.
There is a divorce for someone with his age and name in Florida (1990)
There is someone with his name and age residing in Florida in 1995.
There is someone with his name and age with "connections" to Hollywood, Florida and another state.

Caveat: name and age don't mean much and it could be a different person, especially since we don't have a middle name for this guy.

Or he could have been married and resided somewhere else in the US and became a citizen and retired in Florida recently. Since he's in an assisted living community, there probably wouldn't be a FL paper trail for him....
Who knows.....But there are numerous ways he could have become a US citizen.

(Also, if going back 30 years or more, he could have possibly had a fraudulent citizenship and they're having to check things out before he's extradited)
''Wish he had a middle name.''

rbbm
''Court documents show Rodney Mervyn Nichols, 81, was arrested by U.S. authorities on Tuesday in Hollywood, Fla., following a request by Ontario Provincial Police.''

''U.S. court documents say that when OPP questioned Nichols at a retirement home in February 2022, he initially denied any involvement in Langford’s disappearance but later said he had an altercation with her at his home in Montreal and subsequently dumped her body in the Nation River.

The documents say Nichols appeared in a Florida court on Tuesday and an extradition hearing was set for Sept. 26.''

''Wish he had a middle name.''

rbbm
''Court documents show Rodney Mervyn Nichols, 81, was arrested by U.S. authorities on Tuesday in Hollywood, Fla., following a request by Ontario Provincial Police.''

''U.S. court documents say that when OPP questioned Nichols at a retirement home in February 2022, he initially denied any involvement in Langford’s disappearance but later said he had an altercation with her at his home in Montreal and subsequently dumped her body in the Nation River.

The documents say Nichols appeared in a Florida court on Tuesday and an extradition hearing was set for Sept. 26.''
Oh......!!!

He's one I was looking at....(actually, the main one)
He's got records in FL, going back to the late 80's....Same age....Not a nice guy....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back