Found Deceased Canada - Cooper Nemeth, 17, Winnipeg, 14 Feb 2016 *Arrest*

One look at his twitter and anyone would know he was abusing pills. It took me a few minutes to find his twitter and all its' contents.

Senseless and tragic. This has to stop.

His social media is allowed to be posted. (Hint ;) ). And yes, it does.

"... sources told the Free Press an arrangement had been made for Cooper, who was at a house party the night of Feb. 13, to sell Xanax to another man."

"Cooper had been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, for which he took medication."

"Bell-Wright doesn’t have an extensive criminal record, but he is known to police for one conviction for assault from a couple of years ago. Investigators allege Bell-Wright acted alone."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...n-Cooper-Nemeth-has-been-found-369566931.html

I'm not familiar with ADHD at all, is Xanax what one would normally take for it?

I'm not familiar with ADHD at all, is Xanax what one would normally take for it?
The original news stories identify the family as saying CN was diagnosed with in the last year with ADHD, anxiety and depression.

Xanax is an anti anxiety medication.

The original news stories identify the family as saying CN was diagnosed with in the last year with ADHD, anxiety and depression.

Xanax is an anti anxiety medication.

Yep, my friend takes it when she has to fly. She's claustrofobic. But is it something one would take for ADHD? There doesn't seem to be a Google consensus.

In fact there seem to be many reports that it makes someone with ADHD perform worse... so it would not seem smart to prescribe him that?

(Not asking medical advice/opinions, just pondering that)

Yep, my friend takes it when she has to fly. She's claustrofobic. But is it something one would take for ADHD? There doesn't seem to be a Google consensus.

In fact there seem to be many reports that it makes someone with ADHD perform worse... so it would not seem smart to prescribe him that?

(Not asking medical advice/opinions, just pondering that)

I have not heard it being prescribed for ADHD. Usually drugs such as Concerta or Vyanase are prescribed for ADHD. I would think the Xanax was suppose to be taken on an as needed basis

Good timeline from http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...ing-team-hockey-party-found-in-bin-police-say

Timeline

Feb. 14: Cooper Nemeth played a hockey game then attended a party on Amelia Crescent with a 22-year-old man, known to police. His cellphone last “pinged” at 10:34 pm. near Burnett Avenue and Gateway Road.
Early Feb. 15: Nemeth is believed to have headed to a second party between 12:30 a.m. and 2:30 a.m. in Sun Valley. Police say “Derek” and “Brittany” may have been with him in a white Honda Civic.
Feb. 15: Missing person statement issued. Family begins search.
Feb. 16: More than 100 volunteers show up to help search.
Feb. 17: Police and Nemeth’s parents hold press conference to ask for public’s help finding possible witnesses.
Feb. 17: A tip came in that Nemeth had been seen at Siloam Mission, a homeless shelter on Princess Street, which sent hopes soaring only to crash back down again.
Feb. 18: Search expands outside of city limits, with police searching north of the Perimeter Highway along Henderson Highway.
Feb. 19: Volunteer search base grows to 500.
Feb. 19: Police execute a search warrant at 15 Treger Bay, eventually towing a grey, older-model Cadillac. Nicholas Bell-Wright, 22, questioned by police and released.
Feb. 20: On Day 7 of search, police locate Nemeth’s body. Hundreds flock to Gateway Rec Centre to mourn.
Feb. 21: Bell-Wright was charged with second-degree murder.—Winnipeg Sun

(Added by me: Bell-Wright was arrested on Feb 21. The timeline seems to omit that).

I have not heard it being prescribed for ADHD. Usually drugs such as Concerta or Vyanase are prescribed for ADHD. I would think the Xanax was suppose to be taken on an as needed basis

Thanks, that would also make more sense of why he would be selling his own (I presume) meds. If he needed/was taking them every day or otherwise scheduled that would make it much harder, since he'd be running out too fast and raise suspicion.

One look at his twitter and anyone would know he was abusing pills. It took me a few minutes to find his twitter and all its' contents.

Senseless and tragic. This has to stop.

Can you post his twitter account please? It's allowable here under the TOS.

Regarding his apparent drug-selling, I have a feeling it's something that hockey team needs to address. I'm doubting Cooper was alone in his use. I'm sorry to hear about it. Rx drug use, street drug use....what are doing with so many drugs in our culture? (I'm not knocking people who need meds, btw!)

JMopinion.

How much does Xanax sell for on the black market? Does anyone know? If he had a script it was probably for 30-60 per month IMO.

Does Canada have a Drug Registry system to avoid Dr. Shopping like almost all States do in the US (except MO.)?

Just wondering.

ITA If one person had come forward to their parents, to a coach, to a teacher and say something we may not have a dead teenager. I find this to be a common theme. After the fact everybody comes out and says that so-in-so was dealing and you check social media and it's right there. Time for people to step up and say something before another incident.

Regarding his apparent drug-selling, I have a feeling it's something that hockey team needs to address. I'm doubting Cooper was alone in his use. I'm sorry to hear about it. Rx drug use, street drug use....what are doing with so many drugs in our culture? (I'm not knocking people who need meds, btw!)

JMopinion.

It's quite saddening. My oldest is a senior in high school and I couldn't believe the kids who are doing drugs of some kind. I'm by no means sheltered but that did shock me. Kids who you'd really never expect it from. And we're supposed to be this 'good little town' (I'm import though :p ). I don't even want to hazard a guess as to how many kids are into drugs here... but I kind of don't trust any of them not to use, at this point. There have been too many I'd never expected it from. Every out-of-character behavior, that's my first thought. And LE are aware too, but it doesn't seem to do much. I think it's a huge problem everywhere. :(

ITA If one person had come forward to their parents, to a coach, to a teacher and say something we may not have a dead teenager. I find this to be a common theme. After the fact everybody comes out and says that so-in-so was dealing and you check social media and it's right there. Time for people to step up and say something before another incident.

We've done that here. Went to the school, to LE. "We suspect so and so to be dealing". People talking about it in the town FB group, posting screenshots, notifying LE (repeatedly). Never heard another word about it. And as far as we could tell they were always still around (so, not suddenly a period where they weren't there and could have been locked up or whatnot). And when you ask LE if anything is being done about it, they can't say anything because it concerns a juvenile....

How much does Xanax sell for on the black market? Does anyone know? If he had a script it was probably for 30-60 per month IMO.

Does Canada have a Drug Registry system to avoid Dr. Shopping like almost all States do in the US (except MO.)?

Just wondering.

I have never heard of a drug registry system here in Canada.
Each province has a medical plan which would cover the cost of Dr visits. The plans are provincial and each province has their own College of Physicians and Surgeons which license and regulate Dr's.
In some provinces medications prescribed may be tracked through the persons health card # but I do not know if that is done in MB

So your "friend" is missing. The entire city is looking for him. Nobody could "do the right thing" and say what they knew? This makes me so angry.

So your "friend" is missing. The entire city is looking for him. Nobody could "do the right thing" and say what they knew? This makes me so angry.

The family knew or at least suspected something was going on with CN. In the first news articles the family talks about him being diagnosed and this may of led him into drug use.

In the first news conference where the father spoke he said something along the lines of it is okay Cooper we will figure it out Please just come home.

I just found out about tragedy over FB, when someone shared a plea to come help search and I was so sorry to learn of his senseless death. This happens far too often and I hope his friends learned a valuable life lesson. Sympathy to his family and friends.

Thanks to all that have posted more details and info. You all gave me a much clearer picture.

What makes this so hard to understand is that Cooper seems like a good kid from a strong community. If he can get into a situation that leads to his murder, it is unnerving. We don't have the comfort of emotional distance to say the tragedy happened to people unlike ourselves. I always like to think school sport teams are above drug use, though I *know* that's not reality. I have a feeling that this case is going to hurt deep in the community....especially adults who thought things were going great.

Anyway, this sounds nice:

"Tonight, the Bear Clan Patrol – a volunteer safety group that patrols city streets – joins the Nemeth family, friends and those who didn’t know Cooper for a traditional circle and smudge ceremony at 6 p.m. at Gateway Recreation Centre."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Free-Press-Head-Start-for-Monday-Feb-22-369526061.html

JMopinion.

From what I have heard, prescription drug abuse is worse than street drugs for trafficking. They are easy to get, they are cheap or even free, and they are legal.
I don't know the details of what the catalyst for this murder but I don't think it is a deal gone bad over a few pills.
I agree about the hockey team addressing it. The club should call a meeting for all parents and players to attend and have police and counsellors come in and talk to them about the signs of drug use...drug selling etc. and what they can try and do about it.
His friends knew he was going to this party to sell pills. The outcome could have been much different if somebody decided to alert his parents.

JMopinion.
His Twitter was:
@coopernem

I'm guessing the perp killed him for a small amount of money & pills.

I live in Winnipeg. It's nice that the community came together to find him, although IMO the obvious drug connection was omitted (it was vaguely alluded to) in order to get more people looking for him. Sadly, the 'missing middle class hockey player' narrative is more palatable than the 'pill popping drug dealing teen missing' narrative. At least Cooper and the perp were found. I feel for his parents and family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinicole93
Back