Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zencompass

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
Here is a thread where we can add updated information for Canadians.

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
finally - yes, warnings for weeks ...

The move to halt flights to sun destinations comes after weeks of Trudeau urging Canadians not to take any non-essential trips outside the country and warning the government could impose restrictions at any time.

Airlines suspend flights to sun destinations until April 30 amid growing variant concerns

This is great news! I'm just learning about details where returning vacationers will be sent from the airport to a designated quarantine hotel (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, or Montreal) and pay the costs out of pocket - $2000 per person. If they test negative after a few days they can complete the quarantine period at home, with increased oversight. If they test positive they quarantine at the hotel. That's a huge change from a month ago where returning vacationers qualified for $2000 vacation pay during post-vacation quarantine, and many didn't respect quarantine.

My sense is that the government trusted people to be honest and respectful regarding quarantine. That failed, so now we have stricter rules. I think the government is truly hoping to vaccinate everyone before other variants take hold, but Ontario is already projecting that the more dangerous strain will be widely circulating in that province in March.

It often seems like 'one step forward, two steps back'.
Watching late night news last night and was reminded of the upcoming March break and last year's mass exodus from Ontario and Quebec.

The Alberta government is responding to industry pressure, especially the hospitality sector, and is re-opening many businesses on Feb 8 even though there are several cases of the more dangerous strain in the province.

The pattern seems to be that the province is on the verge of having to triage patients, lockdown is imposed, the numbers are stabilized, so lockdown ends. It's a never-ending cycle. The provincial government is claiming that all cases of the dangerous strain are known and managed, but that's what they said in March 2020. They were wrong.

March/Spring break is usually advertised on campus and organized by students who know each other in person. With most post-secondary students learning from home, I suspect there isn't the social structure to support group vacations. Students also have the added problem that if they leave the country, they need a negative test to re-enter the country and they have to pay approximately $2000 per person for the mandatory hotel stay when they return to Canada. There will be increased oversight of quarantine, so they won't be breaking quarantine for quick errands.

The Alberta government is responding to industry pressure, especially the hospitality sector, and is re-opening many businesses on Feb 8 even though there are several cases of the more dangerous strain in the province.

The pattern seems to be that the province is on the verge of having to triage patients, lockdown is imposed, the numbers are stabilized, so lockdown ends. It's a never-ending cycle. The provincial government is claiming that all cases of the dangerous strain are known and managed, but that's what they said in March 2020. They were wrong.

March/Spring break is usually advertised on campus and organized by students who know each other in person. With most post-secondary students learning from home, I suspect there isn't the social structure to support group vacations. Students also have the added problem that if they leave the country, they need a negative test to re-enter the country and they have to pay approximately $2000 per person for the mandatory hotel stay when they return to Canada. There will be increased oversight of quarantine, so they won't be breaking quarantine for quick errands.

It would surprise me if Canadian universities are having spring break weeks this year. In the U.S., every university that I know has cancelled spring break and instead is holding 5 days of instructional breaks throughout the spring semester, so that students still get the 5 days off, but not consecutive days off, and thus avoiding travel and the risk of potential spread of covid.

It would surprise me if Canadian universities are having spring break weeks this year. In the U.S., every university that I know has cancelled spring break and instead is holding 5 days of instructional breaks throughout the spring semester, so that students still get the 5 days off, but not consecutive days off, and thus avoiding travel and the risk of potential spread of covid.

The local university has Term Break Feb 14-20. During that break, as always, block (condensed) courses are available particularly for graduate students.

Term Break was first introduce to Canadian universities in the late 1970s and early 1980s because of higher suicide rates in students in February. It was a chance for students to catch up and prep for midterms, not an opportunity to party - although that is what some students do with that time today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2