CANADA Canada- David Buller, 50, Artist, repeatedly stabbed @ his desk, University of Toronto, 18 Jan 2001

dotr

Reaction score
U of T professor found dead

Computer Printout Is Key – Murder Village
January 18, 2001 by Lee Scoboni
rbbm.
''David Buller was murdered at his desk at the University of Toronto’s Visual Studies department at 1 Spadina Crescent. On January 18, 2001, he was stabbed repeatedly and died in his office, to be found by a caretaker the next day.
DavidBuller-1.jpg

Murder victim David Buller
''Det. Sgt. Ken Taylor said that despite Buller, 50, having been stabbed repeatedly in the torso and having fallen out of his office chair onto the floor where he laid for hours, “the crime scene was pristine.” They found no usable DNA, fingerprints, murder weapon or security video footage.

Since Buller’s office was considered “out of the way,” police surmised the killer likely knew him and the office location. On initially arriving at the scene, there was so little blood, Taylor thought it might be a suicide. The killer shut the door on the way out.''

''His latest paintings were homoerotic, but the computer-drawn sketch that lay on his printer, baffled police. It was of two men: one man naked with his arms tied above his head, the other man, smiling, wearing glasses – this figure was thought to be Buller. It had been printed just minutes before his murder.

Det. Sgt. Taylor said of the image, or what led to the drawing of the image, “This, I believe, is the motive for the murder. We believe he was killed as a result of this, but we don’t know why.”

Someone, and police are not sure if it was Buller or his murderer, opened Buller’s Mac laptop at 2:02 p.m. and sketched the drawing found on the printer. However, the image on his computer was not the same as the image printed. The printed image had words on it that police call significant, but will not release, hoping they will help nail down a suspect should one arise. This version with words was never saved because Buller collapsed from his chair onto the floor, pulling out the computer plug.''

To Catch a Killer S01:E03 - David Buller
''A disgruntled student? A colleague? Or a jilted lover? Led by police officer Arntfield, the civilian squad turns over possible suspects in the unsolved 2001 murder.''

To Catch a Killer
S01:E03 - David Buller
(2013)
·
45 min
TV-PG
Documentary
Thank you Dotr! I found this program extremely interesting. It showed how a cold case team thinks, and their methodology. And, we got the added bonus of lots of bicep display - LOL.

Great documentary; I learned alot. Thank you!
-Roses

BTW - I'm 50/50 on the "angry student" vs. faculty member.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Jan 4 2021
HUNTER: Cops have DNA in trio of vicious cold case murders | Toronto Sun
''Another instance where investigators believe answers lie in the community is the Jan. 19, 2001 murder of University of Toronto professor David Buller
Officers responded on the day in question to a 911 call at 1 Spadina Cres. at 6:58 a.m. Inside was Buller suffering from vicious stab wounds. Despite the efforts of emergency personnel, the 50-year-old academic was pronounced at the scene.

The Sun reported at the time that Buller — who was openly gay — had been attacked in the middle of the previous day while sitting at the computer in his second-floor office at U of T’s Connaught Building. Family and friends never believed it was random and said Buller likely knew his killer''
“What I can say … is it seems very likely to me that the person who killed David knew David and knew the building,” his niece Karyn Sandlos said in 2014, adding that Buller’s office was in a complex maze of small offices and art studios''
Smith added: “We believe that someone from the U of T community has the information we need to solve this case.”

If you have any information regarding any of these cases, please contact Homicide at 416-808-7400, or at homicide@torontopolice.on.ca or Crime Stoppers at 416−222−TIPS (8477).

bhunter@postmedia.com

Still wondering what words the killer apparently added to Buller's art work on the computer.
''Buller’s teachings

“History counsels patience: / tyrants come, like plagues, but none / can rule the roost for ever.”

These lines are from W. H. Auden’s poem “Loneliness,” a work that Sandlos claimed inspired Buller’s final painting. She explained that her uncle embedded some of Auden’s words in his piece, which he titled “History Counsels Patience.”

“I go back to those lines; I have them on a card above my desk. I look at them every day, multiple times a day,” Sandlos reflected. “It almost feels like a communication from David. How is it that in his final painting, he had something he wanted to communicate to the world about patience and about time?”

Still wondering what words the killer apparently added to Buller's art work on the computer.
''Buller’s teachings

“History counsels patience: / tyrants come, like plagues, but none / can rule the roost for ever.”

These lines are from W. H. Auden’s poem “Loneliness,” a work that Sandlos claimed inspired Buller’s final painting. She explained that her uncle embedded some of Auden’s words in his piece, which he titled “History Counsels Patience.”

“I go back to those lines; I have them on a card above my desk. I look at them every day, multiple times a day,” Sandlos reflected. “It almost feels like a communication from David. How is it that in his final painting, he had something he wanted to communicate to the world about patience and about time?”

When she refers to his 'painting' is she referring to the computer-drawn image?

''Buller’s teachings

This is a terrible murder. But it also has elements of art that make the crime very unusual and compelling.

Here’s WH Auden’s entire poem:

Gate-crashing ghost, aggressive
invisible visitor,
tactless gooseberry, spoiling
my tete-a-tete with myself,
blackmailing brute, behaving
as if the house were your own,
so viciously pursuing
your victim from room to room,
monotonously nagging,
ungenerous jabberer,
dirty devil, befouling
fair fancies, making the mind
a quagmire of disquiet,
weakening my will to work,
shadow without shape or sex,
excluding consolation,
blotting out Nature’s beauties,
grey mist between me and God,
pestilent problem that won’t
be put on the back-burner,
hard it is to endure you.

Routine is the one technique
I know of that enables
your host to ignore you now:
while typing business letters,
laying the table for one,
gobbling a thoughtless luncheon,
I briefly forget you’re there,
but am safe from your haunting
only when soundly asleep.

History counsels patience:
tyrants come, like plagues, but none
can rule the roost for ever.
Indeed, your totter is near,
your days numbered: to-morrow
Chester, my chum, will return.
Then you’ll be through: in no time
he’ll throw you out neck-and-crop.
We’ll merry-make your cadence
with music, feasting and fun

When she refers to his 'painting' is she referring to the computer-drawn image?
Probably not the painting referenced by the niece, reposting this bit from link, rereading it, it sounds even stranger now. imo
Wishing LE would release some of the words, they might strike a note with somebody.
''His latest paintings were homoerotic, but the computer-drawn sketch that lay on his printer, baffled police. It was of two men: one man naked with his arms tied above his head, the other man, smiling, wearing glasses – this figure was thought to be Buller. It had been printed just minutes before his murder.

Det. Sgt. Taylor said of the image, or what led to the drawing of the image, “This, I believe, is the motive for the murder. We believe he was killed as a result of this, but we don’t know why.”

Someone, and police are not sure if it was Buller or his murderer, opened Buller’s Mac laptop at 2:02 p.m. and sketched the drawing found on the printer. However, the image on his computer was not the same as the image printed. The printed image had words on it that police call significant, but will not release
, hoping they will help nail down a suspect should one arise. This version with words was never saved because Buller collapsed from his chair onto the floor, pulling out the computer plug.''

8-by-6-foot portrait of Pollock sitting in Palace of Versailles painted by David Buller – photo by Erin Combs, 1980
1693771076560.png

Last edited:
Probably not the painting referenced by the niece, reposting this bit from link, rereading it, it sounds even stranger now. imo
Wishing LE would release some of the words, they might strike a note with somebody.

Someone, and police are not sure if it was Buller or his murderer, opened Buller’s Mac laptop at 2:02 p.m. and sketched the drawing found on the printer. However, the image on his computer was not the same as the image printed. The printed image had words on it that police call significant, but will not release
, hoping they will help nail down a suspect should one arise. This version with words was never saved because Buller collapsed from his chair onto the floor, pulling out the computer plug.''

8-by-6-foot portrait of Pollock sitting in Palace of Versailles painted by David Buller – photo by Erin Combs, 1980
View attachment 444585

so confusing! surprised it's never been solved as it's obviously someone who knew him IMO

Jan 18, 2024
00:00 - Cold Case #01-04: David Buller The team investigates the murder of University of Toronto art professor David Buller44:01 - Cold Case #69-52: Jacqueline EnglishFollowing the death of a retired police detective, his son finds a treasure trove of information on the case he was obsessed with solving. Can the team unravel the cryptic clues he left behind and find her killer?

I bet police know who it was, they just don't have enough evidence. I think it's either a colleague, or a secret lover who David quietly let in.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tattooed_crybaby22
Back