CANADA Canada - Mary Hammond, Brantford ON, 8 Sept 1983

The Brantford Police page states: “Mary declined her husband's offer to drive her to work and left the home alone on the approximately 1.5 km walk.”

Yet one of the news articles from 1983 says: “He [Larry Hammond] said Mary often walked to work since beginning her job at the bakery about a year earlier. The day Mary disappeared, she had to walk to work because Larry’s vehicle was in the shop for repairs.“

The Brantford Police page states: “Mary declined her husband's offer to drive her to work and left the home alone on the approximately 1.5 km walk.”

Yet one of the news articles from 1983 says: “He [Larry Hammond] said Mary often walked to work since beginning her job at the bakery about a year earlier. The day Mary disappeared, she had to walk to work because Larry’s vehicle was in the shop for repairs.“
Welcome to Ws greencolander, great catch!

Yes I believe this to be the truth. I’m not sure where the more recent news articles got that she was offered a drive but turned it down. Early articles said usually walked to work, it wasn’t too far. I walked it and took between 15-20 minutes. I’m only 5’3 bit Mary was 5’10, so she likely walked it in 15 minutes. If she left at 3:30 she would have gotten to that field between 3:45 and 3:50 am. That weird pick up left at 4:00 . Maury didn’t show up inside the bakery at 4. Whatever happened to her happened between 3:45 and 4:00 am. If she usually walked to work and usually had the same shift. These people could have been waiting for her

Well I couldn’t get the police to ever get back to me on this. I think those people were watching her and decided to do something to her for some reason. I think she was eating an apple on the way to work for breakfast. Somehow I think the police think they know who did it and they just don’t have enough evidence. One of the people is deceased.

Bumping for Mary and wondering if anything came of this (8 year old!) tip?
June 22 2012
New leads re-open 29-year-old cold case of Hamilton woman
ae62187642d9ab549aba1eaccbf8_Gallery.jpg

Mary and Lawrence Hammond on their wedding Day - Spectator file photo

''Brantford police recently identified new evidence in the case which helped “strongly” identify people who may have been involved, including a former Brantford resident who is now dead.

Police have now searched and gathered evidence at a Market Street home in Brantford and are awaiting forensic results. The current resident is not connected to the investigation.''

Met with Mary’s niece and we visited the site. More questions to be sent to LE to see if any additional questions can be answered.

LH (and I think Mary) was at a bar the night before celebrating that a deal went through at work and Massey Ferguson (MF) and there wasn’t going to be a strike. He told ppl there he needed to leave early bc the car was in the shop and Mary needed to get up early to walk to work. Her walk would take her by MF.

also someone which initials are RT was questioned in her disappearance . That was a source . Trying to track that info down.

Mary Hammond

"At the time of her disappearance Mary Hammond was 25 years old, 5'10", 140 lbs., with long straight reddish-brown hair, brown eyes and a fair complexion.

She was last seen wearing a blue, mauve and red lumber jacket, blue jeans, white Adidas running shoes with a silver stripe and a yellow T-shirt.

Investigators received information that a pickup truck left the rear of the bakery around the time Mary disappeared. The truck was seen parked at the back of the bakery parking lot and later driving through the rear lot. It is described as an older brown pick-up possibly a Ford, with painted bumpers and round headlights. Despite appealing to the public and an exhaustive police investigation, no truck matching that description has ever been found.

Anyone with information about Mary Hammond is to contact the Brantford Police Service at 519-756-7050 or Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Incident #83-24791"

Police release 'person of interest' photographs in 37-year old cold case case

By Vincent Ball, Sept 7 2020
From link.. rbbm.
''The evidence has helped investigators over the years to identify people who may have been involved.

However, not all persons believed to have information or knowledge related to the Hammond investigation have been identified, police said in the statement.

Photos released Monday show four unidentified men believed to have had ties to the Hungarian/Ukrainian/Bosnian and Polish communities in and around the time of Hammond’s disappearance.''
0908-br-person1.jpg

Brantford Police have released photos of four men who police believe may have knowledge of the disappearance of Mary Emma Hammond, who went missing in Brantford on Sept. 8, 1983. Police have labeled this group of photos as ‘”unidentified person #1”. SUBMITTED

0908-br-person2.jpg

'Brantford Police have released photos of four men who police believe may have knowledge of the disappearance of Mary Emma Hammond, who went missing in Brantford on Sept. 8, 1983. Police have labeled this group of photos as “unidentified person #2”. SUBMITTED

0908-br-person-3.jpg

Brantford Police have released photos of four men who police believe may have knowledge of the disappearance of Mary Emma Hammond, who went missing in Brantford on Sept. 8, 1983. Police have labeled this group of photos as “unidentified person #3”. SUBMITTED

0908-br-person-4.jpg

Brantford Police have released photos of four men who police believe may have knowledge of the disappearance of Mary Emma Hammond, who went missing in Brantford on Sept. 8, 1983. Police have labeled this group of photos as “unidentified person #4”. SUBMITTED

''Anyone with information regarding Hammond’s disappearance is asked to contact the Mary HAMMOND tip line to leave a voice mail message for investigators at 519-756-0113 ext. 2800, or by email at HammondDisappearance@police.brantford.on.ca .''

I am hopeful this will be solved. I was glad when my mom told me they had released more info on Mary’s case. I am too young to remember the case. I do wonder if this may be related to the body found in Mohawk park earlier in the summer? I don’t know if it was a body or skeleton found. It would be nice to say a proper good bye to Mary.

By Vincent Ball, Sept 7 2020
From link.. rbbm.
''The evidence has helped investigators over the years to identify people who may have been involved.

However, not all persons believed to have information or knowledge related to the Hammond investigation have been identified, police said in the statement.

Photos released Monday show four unidentified men believed to have had ties to the Hungarian/Ukrainian/Bosnian and Polish communities in and around the time of Hammond’s disappearance.''
0908-br-person1.jpg

Brantford Police have released photos of four men who police believe may have knowledge of the disappearance of Mary Emma Hammond, who went missing in Brantford on Sept. 8, 1983. Police have labeled this group of photos as ‘”unidentified person #1”. SUBMITTED

0908-br-person2.jpg

'Brantford Police have released photos of four men who police believe may have knowledge of the disappearance of Mary Emma Hammond, who went missing in Brantford on Sept. 8, 1983. Police have labeled this group of photos as “unidentified person #2”. SUBMITTED

0908-br-person-3.jpg

Brantford Police have released photos of four men who police believe may have knowledge of the disappearance of Mary Emma Hammond, who went missing in Brantford on Sept. 8, 1983. Police have labeled this group of photos as “unidentified person #3”. SUBMITTED

0908-br-person-4.jpg

Brantford Police have released photos of four men who police believe may have knowledge of the disappearance of Mary Emma Hammond, who went missing in Brantford on Sept. 8, 1983. Police have labeled this group of photos as “unidentified person #4”. SUBMITTED

''Anyone with information regarding Hammond’s disappearance is asked to contact the Mary HAMMOND tip line to leave a voice mail message for investigators at 519-756-0113 ext. 2800, or by email at HammondDisappearance@police.brantford.on.ca .''

so strange that they now have these photos - where did they come from? they look like they're from a surveillance camera but who would have that footage so long after the fact or has the police been holding back this info all these years? is it four men punching into work late perhaps on the same day or four men at a nearby business on the same morning??
I'm really curious who these people are and I think someone will recognize one or more of them from these photos - just wish we had some context

Family hopes photographs will help police solve cold case
''A niece of Mary Hammond is hoping new information released by Brantford police Monday will help bring closure to a mystery that has haunted the family for decades.
br.0909-br-hammond3.jpg

Brenda Wilson (nee Derrah) as a baby is held by her aunt, Mary Hammond, in 1971. Wilson, now married with two children of her own, is hoping recently released photographs by police in her aunt’s 1983 disappearance in Brantford will help police solve the cold case. Submitted jpg, BR

“It’s something that’s always on our mind, something none of us has ever forgotten, and we’d really like to know what happened to Mary,” Brenda Wilson said Tuesday, the 37th anniversary of her aunt’s disappearance in Brantford.

“Somebody out there knows something and we’re hoping those photographs will stir some memories and help police with their investigation.”

While thankful police have not forgotten about her aunt, Wilson said she she wonders how long the police have had the photographs and why they were not released earlier.

Police, in an reply to questions from The Expositor, said only that the photographs were released to further the investigation.''

“She was so close to getting to work, only a few steps more and she would have made it,” she said. “Who stopped her?”
br.0909-br-hammond4.jpg

Mary Hammond (nee Biesenthal) with her half-brother, Doug Derrah, and brothers Albert and David Biesenthal. Submitted jpg, BR

I came across the disappearance of Mary Hammond while following the recent disappearance and finding of a 15 year old female in Brantford and was drawn by the 2012 search warrant for the Market St address and the Sept 2020 release of surveillance photos. I was going in circles trying to follow her path from 273 Elgin St, past the MF building to 110 Morton Ave and then realized the bakery was at 110 Morton Ave E. I have read through this thread and send a thank you to all who have shared info about Mary, and about Brantford itself.

Police follow tips received in disappearance of Mary Hammond

'The tips were prompted by a story published by The Expositor on Sept. 8, 2020'

“included members of the public providing possible identities of the males from the photographs."
Thanks, from link..

images

Brantford police have released photos of four men believed to have knowledge of the disappearance of Mary Hammond, who went missing in Brantford on Sept. 8, 1983. jpg, BR
“Approximately 10 new tips were received by police through both phone calls and e-mails,” Staff Sgt. Grant Davies said Tuesday.

“The tips included members of the public providing possible identities of the males from the photographs. As of this date, police have yet to confirm any of these leads as being accurate.”

With the identities of the four men in question, police are unable to confirm whether they are alive, Davies said.

Police are asking anyone with information about the case to call the Hammond disappearance tip line at 519-756-0113, ext 2800, or by e-mail at HammondDisappearance@police.brantford.on.ca . Tipsters who wish to remain anonymous can call Brant-Brantford Crime Stoppers at 519-750-8477 or 1-800-222-8477.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsJeckyll
Back