CANADA Canada- Melissa Jane Letain, 24, hair stylist @ W. Edmonton Mall, S.A. & strangled w. yellow rope (hangman’s noose 7 coils) dumped on ice, 13 Feb.'87

dotr

Reaction score
1711050707708.png
Pamela Roth Published Dec 09, 2012 rbbm
''It was a cold winter night in 1987 when Melissa Jane Letain left work, carrying a rose, card and pennant in a plastic bag for a romantic evening with her boyfriend on Valentine’s Day.
She left work at Champs Elysee hair salon in West Edmonton Mall, walking home around 9 p.m., headed for the apartment she shared with her boyfriend at 17744 81 Ave.
The 24-year-old hair stylist took her normal route home along the cement walkway between houses in the area of 87 Avenue and 177 Street, unaware that a predator was stalking her movements.''
''A woman walking in the same area later told police she became aware of the assault when she heard a groan or gurgling sound. She turned and saw a man clutching a woman and hushing her to be quiet before she was dragged away. It was the last time Letain would ever be seen alive.''

''That same day, Letain’s body was found 75 km southwest of Edmonton under the Genesee Bridge on the ice of the North Saskatchewan River. She had been physically and sexually assaulted, then dumped over the bridge.
The killer used a yellow nylon rope with a hangman’s noose of seven coils to strangle his victim. A pair of old pantyhose that didn’t belong to Letain were found beside her body.''

'' Melissa Jane Letain. Age 24. Went missing Feb. 13, 1987, on her way home from work at a hair salon in West Edmonton Mall. She was found the next day under the Genesee Bridge on the ice of the North Saskatchewan River. She had been sexually assaulted and strangled with a yellow nylon rope.''

View attachment 492104
''It was a cold winter night in 1987 when Melissa Jane Letain left work, carrying a rose, card and pennant in a plastic bag for a romantic evening with her boyfriend on Valentine’s Day.
She left work at Champs Elysee hair salon in West Edmonton Mall, walking home around 9 p.m., headed for the apartment she shared with her boyfriend at 17744 81 Ave.
The 24-year-old hair stylist took her normal route home along the cement walkway between houses in the area of 87 Avenue and 177 Street, unaware that a predator was stalking her movements.''
''A woman walking in the same area later told police she became aware of the assault when she heard a groan or gurgling sound. She turned and saw a man clutching a woman and hushing her to be quiet before she was dragged away. It was the last time Letain would ever be seen alive.''

''That same day, Letain’s body was found 75 km southwest of Edmonton under the Genesee Bridge on the ice of the North Saskatchewan River. She had been physically and sexually assaulted, then dumped over the bridge.
The killer used a yellow nylon rope with a hangman’s noose of seven coils to strangle his victim. A pair of old pantyhose that didn’t belong to Letain were found beside her body.''

'' Melissa Jane Letain. Age 24. Went missing Feb. 13, 1987, on her way home from work at a hair salon in West Edmonton Mall. She was found the next day under the Genesee Bridge on the ice of the North Saskatchewan River. She had been sexually assaulted and strangled with a yellow nylon rope.''
That was a brutal attack. So odd he had the ritual of having pair of pantyhose he probably bought or stole elsewhere. Then the use of a rope with a hangman's noose knot to strangle her. He had some sick fantasies.

She was raped, so there's probably DNA they could test.

I didn't see in the article that they were able to gather and preserve any DNA evidence. I hope they were.

I'm just assuming they did a rape kit. Back in the late 80's, if they claim a victim was raped, they usually did. Hopefully. It seems to be cost that keeps a lot of LE agencies from testing their backlog of evidence from murdered women whose cases are unsolved.

View attachment 492104

Twenty minute walk home from work.
1711076289781.png
Her body was found 65 kilometres away, roughly 48 miles. Was this a first or second abduction murder? Why is the body is so far from abduction? Does the abductor live closer to the abduction site or the body site? Would a more confident murderer leave the body 20 miles (30 kilometres) from abduction site and still make it home for supper? Would an abductor who left the body 60 kilometres away be home in time for supper?

1711076431112.png
Google Map

Last edited:
That's just an opinion. I've spent the past 20 years trying to understand whether serial murderers murder, and leave their victims' bodies, closer to home the first time, or later. Eventually, the ones who get away with it for a long time, dump multiple bodies in the same place closer to home.

Last edited:
In this case, a Valentine's Day murder, my guess is not necessarily a serial killer, nor a stranger. It might be someone who was a stranger to her, but had unhealthy ideation about women who are strangers. Maybe. Hard to say. The noose suggests to me that it is someone who knew her, perhaps fantasized murder, used panty hose as disguise when abducting her, then left the pantyhose with the body? DNA on the pantyhose?

She was abducted on her walking route home. It doesn't seem completely random in the sense that the person who abducted her may have expected to see her there at that time of day after she left work. That was her routine. He may have seen her at work. He may have followed her home from work. She was abducted roughly one block from home.

1711078728617.png

Murder 1987. Did the man who did this to her murder again? What type of man was he in relationships with women after the murder? Did he murder any other women around significant dates such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day?

Did he get his fix in committing the one murder tying a yellow nylon rope noose into 7 coils before throwing a woman off a bridge? It never happened again?

She was born in 1973. She was living and working as a hairdresser in Edmonton in 1987.

She was found on the ice with a 7 coil noose in a garbage bag near her body? Pantyhose on the opposite end of the 7 coil rope was what - elasticity in leveraging the noose? Where is the primary crime scene? It sounds like the noose and the body were tossed onto the ice under a bridge.

I initially mistakenly thought that she was hanging from the noose over the bridge. It sounds like the noose was left with the body on the ice under a bridge.

"Later that day, Gordon and his group crossed back over the bridge on their way back to school. He looked over the railing to see if he could spot his glove. It was lying in the middle of the ice, along with the body of a young woman.

“From first glance you could tell that something was seriously wrong with the situation. The way she looked was disturbing,” said Gordon, noting there was a yellow rope and some other items in garbage bags that were strewn around the body. A pair of pantyhose was tied to the opposite end of the rope.

“It was sickly disturbing,” said Gordon ... A few of Letain’s belongings were never recovered, including a CN trucking key chain with a single key, a woman’s watch, a blue leather or leather looking woman’s wallet and a green clutch purse with a gold clasp."

“Some unsolved are solved due to advances in forensic science and the RCMP continues to evaluate potential forensic testing as new technology emerges,” said Jané. “Unsolved homicides are often solved when a member of the public who has information about the murder makes the decision to come forward to police and provide that information.”

She must have been born in 1963? I was born in 1973 and was in no shape or form to be working as a hairdresser in 1987! Very sad case - thanks for all the great posts, everyone.

The article says Melissa was attacked on a concrete walkway between the houses near 87 Ave and 177 St. So I think it was probably this wide, tree-lined alleyway which leads almost directly from the mall to Melissa's apartment complex. IMO either someone lying in wait for a random victim, or someone who knew Melissa took that route:

Untitled-1.jpg

She was born in 1973. She was living and working as a hairdresser in Edmonton in 1987.

She was found on the ice with a 7 coil noose in a garbage bag near her body? Pantyhose on the opposite end of the 7 coil rope was what - elasticity in leveraging the noose? Where is the primary crime scene? It sounds like the noose and the body were tossed onto the ice under a bridge.

I initially mistakenly thought that she was hanging from the noose over the bridge. It sounds like the noose was left with the body on the ice under a bridge.

"Later that day, Gordon and his group crossed back over the bridge on their way back to school. He looked over the railing to see if he could spot his glove. It was lying in the middle of the ice, along with the body of a young woman.

“From first glance you could tell that something was seriously wrong with the situation. The way she looked was disturbing,” said Gordon, noting there was a yellow rope and some other items in garbage bags that were strewn around the body. A pair of pantyhose was tied to the opposite end of the rope.

“It was sickly disturbing,” said Gordon ... A few of Letain’s belongings were never recovered, including a CN trucking key chain with a single key, a woman’s watch, a blue leather or leather looking woman’s wallet and a green clutch purse with a gold clasp."

“Some unsolved are solved due to advances in forensic science and the RCMP continues to evaluate potential forensic testing as new technology emerges,” said Jané. “Unsolved homicides are often solved when a member of the public who has information about the murder makes the decision to come forward to police and provide that information.”

Perhaps the killer tried to hang Melissa from the bridge, but the rope didn't hold and she fell to the ice?

I have not been to this mall since the late 1990’s but I did not remember it as being in a high crime area. I did a little research on unsolved homicides in Edmonton in the 1980’s and 1990’s thinking maybe there was a serial killer in the area. I did find three other cases where the victim was a young female that was strangled. Two of the victims were involved in prostitution and the other was a masseuse killed in her shop. Kind of a long shot on it maybe being the same perp IMO, but you never know.

Edited to add: I find it interesting that Melissa is NOT listed on the Edmonton Police Dept Website with their unsolved homicide victims.

Last edited:
I have not been to this mall since the late 1990’s but I did not remember it as being in a high crime area. I did a little research on unsolved homicides in Edmonton in the 1980’s and 1990’s thinking maybe there was a serial killer in the area. I did find three other cases where the victim was a young female that was strangled. Two of the victims were involved in prostitution and the other was a masseuse killed in her shop. Kind of a long shot on it maybe being the same perp IMO, but you never know.

Edited to add: I find it interesting that Melissa is NOT listed on the Edmonton Police Dept Website with their unsolved homicide victims.
This is interesting ! Did not know this !

''A few Letain’s belongings were never recovered, including a CN trucking key chain with a single key, a woman’s watch, a blue leather or leather looking woman’s wallet and a green clutch purse with a gold clasp.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milkjug
Back