CANADA Canada - Michael Dunahee, 4, Victoria, BC, 24 March 1991

I'm glad you sent it in! Are they sure, just asking.
I didn't really ask if they are sure or not.

I remember the John Doe was thought to be 20 years old in his profile. I thought that was total crap, however. Like, how many 20 year olds are 4 feet tall with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle shirts? It was a really crappy profile for details, I remember that. I will try to find it.

It would have been NamUs #UP16203 but he's not in the databank anymore. I think the main reason for that is identification so it wasn't Michael. According to my email, I acknowledged some discrepancies but felt like I had to submit the tip because of this:

"(1) Michael Dunahee was last seen wearing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shirt and #UP16203 was found deceased wearing such a shirt.

(2) Michael Dunahee was last seen wearing blue shoes and #UP16203 was found wearing blue shoes.

(3) While #UP16203 is listed as an adult aged 20-30 years old that estimated age range is hard to accept without more information. #UP16203's height is estimated at 4'0" but that's only based on partial remains, meaning he could be shorter and closer to Michael Dunahee's 3'0". Furthermore, 4'0" is not the height of any grown adult in the 20-30 year-old age range except for midgets. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle t-shirt itself suggests a child and one from decades long passed as that television program is off the air for decades now. I mean to say that although NamUs has the individual listed as an adult it simply doesn't jive with the height and clothing. I think we are dealing with a deceased child here from the 1990's based on the clothing."

The John Doe was in Long Beach though so of course that was a tough point but not a rule-out one. The email I got back said "Yes unfortunately he has been ruled out. Through the new National Missing Person Databank program and international agreements, we have recently been able to compare Michaels DNA with the unidentified remains databases across the US and will continue to do so. Thank you very much for your interest in the case."

Seemed like they ruled out based on computers not associating the cases. Another dead one and the years keep passing.

I didn't really ask if they are sure or not.

I remember the John Doe was thought to be 20 years old in his profile. I thought that was total crap, however. Like, how many 20 year olds are 4 feet tall with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle shirts? It was a really crappy profile for details, I remember that. I will try to find it.
yes please do, I would like to see it!

It would have been NamUs #UP16203 but he's not in the databank anymore. I think the main reason for that is identification so it wasn't Michael. According to my email, I acknowledged some discrepancies but felt like I had to submit the tip because of this:

"(1) Michael Dunahee was last seen wearing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shirt and #UP16203 was found deceased wearing such a shirt.

(2) Michael Dunahee was last seen wearing blue shoes and #UP16203 was found wearing blue shoes.

(3) While #UP16203 is listed as an adult aged 20-30 years old that estimated age range is hard to accept without more information. #UP16203's height is estimated at 4'0" but that's only based on partial remains, meaning he could be shorter and closer to Michael Dunahee's 3'0". Furthermore, 4'0" is not the height of any grown adult in the 20-30 year-old age range except for midgets. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle t-shirt itself suggests a child and one from decades long passed as that television program is off the air for decades now. I mean to say that although NamUs has the individual listed as an adult it simply doesn't jive with the height and clothing. I think we are dealing with a deceased child here from the 1990's based on the clothing."

The John Doe was in Long Beach though so of course that was a tough point but not a rule-out one. The email I got back said "Yes unfortunately he has been ruled out. Through the new National Missing Person Databank program and international agreements, we have recently been able to compare Michaels DNA with the unidentified remains databases across the US and will continue to do so. Thank you very much for your interest in the case."

Seemed like they ruled out based on computers not associating the cases. Another dead one and the years keep passing.

Thank you and yes, it sounds like LE made a good confirmation that it was not M.D., but it was certainly worth sending in.

Michael Dunahee
''Michael Wayne Dunahee
On Sunday, March 24th, 1991, four-year-old Michael Dunahee went missing from a playground at Blanshard Elementary School in Victoria, British Columbia. Some presume that Michael was abducted. He was last seen wearing a blue-hooded jacket with red lining and red cuffs, a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles t-shirt, multi-coloured rugby pants and blue sneakers.

If you have any information related to Michael’s disappearance, please submit a tip here.''

md_1.png
md_2.png

Date of Birth: May 12, 1986
Missing Since: Mar 24, 1991
Missing from: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Characteristics: Michael was starting to show freckles when he disappeared.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blond
At the time of disappearance: height: 3'0"; weight: 51 lbs''

I started reading Michael’s disappearance as a result of a comment about a ninja turtle shirt in another case. There is so much info on the net about Michael as a result of his family continuing to search for info and keep his story alive. Kudos to them! I notice some misinformation while reading the posts on here and that is why links need to be provided to back up info. I listened to some of the Dunahee’s interviews, and that is where I was able to get a better grasp on some of the info regarding Michael’s abduction.

I think if his disappearance happened in 2020, with the advent of technology and social media such as the security cams, Facebook etc etc., the outcome may have been a bit different. Also, it might help to have an age progression photo of what Michael might possibly look like in his 30s.

On another note, I am going to order a copy of the book Vanished not only to glean more info but also to support Childfind.

So I was on the official website for Michael Dunahee and was looking at the pictures and I noticed a picture which was a sketch of someone I assume might be a suspect in the case? I apologize if this has already been posted before but I thought it hadn't been so I'm sharing it here:

4493239.jpg

Next month marks 30 years!

Michael Dunahee, where are you?!

Michael Dunahee

So I was on the official website for Michael Dunahee and was looking at the pictures and I noticed a picture which was a sketch of someone I assume might be a suspect in the case? I apologize if this has already been posted before but I thought it hadn't been so I'm sharing it here:

View attachment 284119

Michael Dunahee

Yeah, that composite sketch certainly has not received a lot of publicity. Here's the sketch from the Times Colonist in March 2011.

Clipping from Times Colonist - Newspapers.com

I am thinking the child's drawing is of a van in the Chevrolet P30 series or "step-van" series. Notice the long door on the side. These vans seemed to have annual models for decades prior to 1991. My guess would be 1981 Chevrolet Grumman Step Van.

With the white van below, note how the windows match in the sense that there is both a window on the side door and the general shape of the passenger side windows can be seen side-longed -- just like in the drawing.

These kinds of vans look like modern UPS vans. They also seem to be food-truck vans or ice-cream vans. I wonder if someone would also like to camperize a van like this, suggesting to me that Michael might have been abducted by the lodger of a campground or RV park. Picture the white van below as brown and it resembles the child's drawing.

Michael Dunahee Van.JPG 1988 Chevrolet P30 Step Van.JPG Step Van series.JPG

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! I was watching an archived stream of the show "Geraldo at Large" that aired on August 31st, 2009. The show featured Carl Probyn, Jaycee Dugard's stepdad, as a guest as the show aired a few days after Jaycee Dugard had been found alive! During the show, Geraldo showed old clips from an episode of his show "The Geraldo Rivera Show".

The episode had aired in January 1993 and featured John Walsh with Jaycee's parents, Carl and Terry (who back then were still struggling to stay together for Jaycee's sake) and to the far right of one of the the panel of parents of missing kids was Crystal Dunahee, Michael's mother! Here's a link to the clip if anyone want's to see! She doesn't say anything at all as it was focused only on Carl and Terry but I didn't know that Crystal Dunahee had been on that show!

Geraldo at Large : FOXNEWS : August 31, 2009 1:00am-2:00am EDT : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive

View attachment 284119

Michael Dunahee

Well, gee, thanks for this.

I do not ever remember this sketch. Why hasn't this been in MSM?

I am thinking the child's drawing is of a van in the Chevrolet P30 series or "step-van" series. Notice the long door on the side. These vans seemed to have annual models for decades prior to 1991. My guess would be 1981 Chevrolet Grumman Step Van.

With the white van below, note how the windows match in the sense that there is both a window on the side door and the general shape of the passenger side windows can be seen side-longed -- just like in the drawing.

These kinds of vans look like modern UPS vans. They also seem to be food-truck vans or ice-cream vans. I wonder if someone would also like to camperize a van like this, suggesting to me that Michael might have been abducted by the lodger of a campground or RV park. Picture the white van below as brown and it resembles the child's drawing.

View attachment 284376 View attachment 284377 View attachment 284378

Very astute observation, thanks.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member