CANADA Canada, Montreal River Harbor, Lake Superior, Ontario, WhtMale, 50-100,camping supplies and Canadian currency dated 2016

djanga

Reaction score

On July 30, 2017, skeletal remains were found at the Montreal River Harbor located on Lake Superior. The location is approximately one hour north of Sault Ste. Marie on Highway 17. The Ontario Forensic Pathology Service has been able to determine that the remains are that of a male age 50-100 years old. Found on him was Canadian currency dated 2016, therefore it is believed he may have been there as early as the Spring of 2016. It is unknown how the male travelled to this area, but it is believed that he may have taken a bus, walked or hitchhiked. He was carrying a back pack with camping supplies along with a firearm that would have been concealed in a cardboard box. Biogeographic Ancestry testing predicts that this unidentified male is of European ancestry.
This case has 1 Unidentified
Discovered at Montreal River Unincorporated Territory

Unidentified​

Male, 50 - 100​

Interestingly, I have first mistakingly read that he was found in the river, but he was actually found in the harbour not far from a highway. He had a lot of camping equipment with him, I am wondering if he could have been hiking in the area.

On July 30, 2017, skeletal remains were found at the Montreal River Harbor located on Lake Superior. The location is approximately one hour north of Sault Ste. Marie on Highway 17. The Ontario Forensic Pathology Service has been able to determine that the remains are that of a male age 50-100 years old. Found on him was Canadian currency dated 2016, therefore it is believed he may have been there as early as the Spring of 2016. It is unknown how the male travelled to this area, but it is believed that he may have taken a bus, walked or hitchhiked. He was carrying a back pack with camping supplies along with a firearm that would have been concealed in a cardboard box. Biogeographic Ancestry testing predicts that this unidentified male is of European ancestry.
This case has 1 Unidentified
Discovered at Montreal River Unincorporated Territory

Unidentified​

Male, 50 - 100​

Unfortunately, his firearm wasn't registered, or at least must not have been registered to him, or they would have identified him by now.

Unfortunately, his firearm wasn't registered, or at least must not have been registered to him, or they would have identified him by now.
It makes me think, that although the cause of death is not stated, it potentially could be a suicide. Also the fact that he did not carry any identification with him seems suspicious.

It makes me think, that although the cause of death is not stated, it potentially could be a suicide. Also the fact that he did not carry any identification with him seems suspicious.

I thought the same. The wording makes it seem that way to me. A firearm that would have been concealed in a cardboard box. To me that implies that it wasn't in the box when found but they're saying it was probably in the box when others may have seen him hitchhiking etc. Not carrying ID is unfortunately common for people who take their own lives away from home.

Or maybe the box disintegrated but they found its remnants with the gun in the middle.

The jacket he was wearing is for large hydro company with locations all across Canada. The former name is Direct Energy Home Services but it's now become Encare Home Services. The name change occurred in June of 2015. The locations they serve in Ontario is Toronto, Mississauga, Oshawa/Whitby, Scarborough, London, Ottawa, North York, Brampton, Etobicoke, and Hamilton and Burlington.

Interestingly he was also wearing a San Diego Chargers hat. Personally I don't know many Canadians who are super into football. Considering his prospective age maybe he was a snowbird with connections to Southern California?

Just stumbled onto this thread and this article, still searching for stats for this missing baseball player/fugitive? from California, but who once played for a team in Montreal, Canada and is missing.fwiw, imo, speculation.

View attachment 409928
Speaking of stats this guys history outside of baseball is :( According to this link Byron McLaughlin Baseball Stats | Baseball Almanac McLaughlin was over 6ft tall while the height of the UID is listed as between 5'3 and 5'8. I know there is room for error but it's more than 2 inches difference. FWIW.

Worth pointing out this was a popular painting spot for the Group of Seven painters, who would often hike through the isolated areas of the parks along Lake Superior. There are camping/tourist routes based on the locations the painters painted. Being an older man, he would have likely been around or at least aware of the Group of Seven when they first rose to prominence.

Speaking of stats this guys history outside of baseball is :( According to this link Byron McLaughlin Baseball Stats | Baseball Almanac McLaughlin was over 6ft tall while the height of the UID is listed as between 5'3 and 5'8. I know there is room for error but it's more than 2 inches difference. FWIW.
McLaughlin was listed as 6'1 presumably when in his 20s. It's not unusual for men to lose an inch or more as they age. He would have been in his 60s when he died. Also lots of sports stats tend to "round up" individual's heights. You're probably right about McLaughlin being too tall, but height estimates from skeletal remains are often not exact either.

Also, it sounds like McLaughlin is/was a fugitive. IMHO he wouldn't likely wear a cap linking him back to CA, unless maybe it was one of his company's knock-offs.

McLaughlin was listed as 6'1 presumably when in his 20s. It's not unusual for men to lose an inch or more as they age. He would have been in his 60s when he died. Also lots of sports stats tend to "round up" individual's heights. You're probably right about McLaughlin being too tall, but height estimates from skeletal remains are often not exact either.

Also, it sounds like McLaughlin is/was a fugitive. IMHO he wouldn't likely wear a cap linking him back to CA, unless maybe it was one of his company's knock-offs.
True that as we age things like bone density play a factor in "shrinking". A elderly family member has been steadily losing inches over the past 5-10 years however this person is over 75 and has osteoporosis.

This is why I said over 2+ inches difference. From what I've read, forensically when a medical examination takes place and height is a factor in identification, a discrepancy of more than a few inches would be one way of ruling persons in/out. Among other more scientific methods of course! ICBW though.

He is now on the DDP website

Anyone have information on what side the watch might have been worn?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back