CANADA Canada - Nicole Morin, 8, Toronto, 30 July 1985

I don't get any of it. Her daughter left the apt to meet someone in the lobby at 11am. At around 11:30am, the friend she was to meet buzzes up and tells mom Nicole hasn't come down yet... and mom basically blows her off saying she had left earlier as scheduled. Then, another child in Jeanette's care leaves the apt to go play and he returns at 3pm telling Jeanette that Nicole is nowhere to be found. She sends that kid back down to look - but STILL isn't that phased, and doesn't call police, or ask other adults (eg: the super to assist)?? Its actually not until much later that she finally asks the super's wife to contact police - somewhere I think around 6pm. So was that Nicole's normal pattern? Leave in the morning, and not be heard from again til around dinner hour?? What was Nicole's plan for lunch that day? What plans, if any had mom made for the kid to get snacks? Drinks? I've not found any suggestion that the child had packed these in the plastic shopping bag she carried her belongings in when she left the apartment that day so exactly what was the plan? How the hell does mom go *that long* without it raising serious alarm bells?

All these questions made me want to know more about Jeanette's older son who was taken by and subsequently raised by his biological father. What prompted him to take his son from Jeanette's care and custody? Was that done legally or did her son's father snatch him? How with the experience of already having lost a son, did she NOT hit a panic level even after 3pm when a second child reported Nicole was nowhere to be found?

I'm not accusing Jeanette of anything - I wasn't there. But the timeline sure leaves a lot more questions than it answers!

I totally agree. Having lived near Toronto during this time...most parents would have been concerned or even alarmed if their child did not make it down an elevator 15 minutes after leaving an apartment. Especially in Toronto. There is totally something terribly off in the whole situation. Not phoning the police until after 6 p.m.?? Even if the mom had two kids in care, she could have taken them with her to do a search for her daughter. This case has always bothered me. I don’t thunk there will ever be closure but I would loved to be proved wrong.

Interesting to note that in this article, police had searched an area and found the following items: black jacket and trousers in a garbage bag, along with a newspaper dated the day after Nicole vanished. The search took place in November 1985 - a few months after Nicole vanished. I wonder if the police have ever had those items DNA tested and if so, what if anything did the tests reveal? Would they / have they considered using ancestry DNA matching like they've done to help further other such cases such as that of the Green River Killer? I'd be all over that right now if I were working this case and had those items in evidence somewhere!!

REFERENCE: Toronto Star, November 3, 1985. p. A1

Since the police have just solved Christine Jessop's murder, I wonder if they'll now consider testing the items found in this search from Nov 1985?

On the thread for Christine Jessop, someone suggested that her killer Calvin Hoover worked for a cable company and it was suggested that he may have installed cable at Nicole Morin’s building. I wonder if records from so long ago are available. Who provided cable to the building back then, Rogers, Bell? Would there still be records at the company? Would Nicole’s mom have had cable done that week, where the installer may have noticed Nicole? Would anyone remember that far back if they had cable installed the same day that a little girl in their building went missing?

On the thread for Christine Jessop, someone suggested that her killer Calvin Hoover worked for a cable company and it was suggested that he may have installed cable at Nicole Morin’s building. I wonder if records from so long ago are available. Who provided cable to the building back then, Rogers, Bell? Would there still be records at the company? Would Nicole’s mom have had cable done that week, where the installer may have noticed Nicole? Would anyone remember that far back if they had cable installed the same day that a little girl in their building went missing?

Well, Heather Hoover (the perp's then-wife) and Christine Jessop's father worked together at Eastern Independent Telecom (source linked below)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hoover-family-devastated-by-murder-accusation-1.5771340
Heather and Calvin Hoover were living in Toronto in 1984 when Christine Jessop was murdered. Toronto Police said the Hoovers had a "friendly acquaintance" relationship with the Jessop family at the time.

Police last week said Calvin Hoover had a "neighbour relationship" with the Jessop family, but have since clarified there is no evidence he lived nearby. Heather had worked with Christine's father Bob at Eastern Independent Telecom.

Perhaps that is where Calvin Hoover also worked, but not specifically with Christine's family member?

According to their Eastern Independent Telecom (EIT) Business profile, they do cable engineering/design projects (large networking engineering ... apartment building upgrades perhaps?) and are Head quartered in Brockville, but were established in 1974 and have an EIT work office located in Etobicoke as well which is part of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
https://www.linkedin.com/company/eastern-independent-telecommunications-ltd-/about/

www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Etobicoke/Eastern-Independent-Telecom/7173599.html?what=Eastern&where=Oakville+ON

The below article states that HH was the receptionist.
'It all fits': Christine Jessop’s brother, Kenney, shares theory on how his sister was abducted by Calvin Hoover
He explained Hoover’s wife, Heather, was very close with Janet and worked with his father, Bob, as a receptionist at Eastern Independent Telecom.

So, perhaps that tends to lead me to think that HH may have met her husband (CH) via her position as a receptionist? If CH had also actually worked there, then Christine's father would also have worked 'with' him. BUT, with Heather being the receptionist, perhaps EIT sub-contracted him, or a cable company he worked for, to do cable installs on some of their large engineering projects?

Last edited:
Well, Heather Hoover (the perp's then-wife) and Christine Jessop's father worked together at Eastern Independent Telecom (source linked below)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hoover-family-devastated-by-murder-accusation-1.5771340

Perhaps that is where Calvin Hoover also worked, but not specifically with Christine's family member?

According to their Eastern Independent Telecom (EIT) Business profile, they do cable engineering/design projects (large networking engineering ... apartment building upgrades perhaps?) and are Head quartered in Brockville, but were established in 1974 and have an EIT work office located in Etobicoke as well which is part of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
https://www.linkedin.com/company/eastern-independent-telecommunications-ltd-/about/

www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Etobicoke/Eastern-Independent-Telecom/7173599.html?what=Eastern&where=Oakville+ON

'It all fits': Christine Jessop’s brother, Kenney, shares theory on how his sister was abducted by Calvin Hoover

So, perhaps that tends to lead me to think that HH may have met her husband (CH) via her position as a receptionist? If CH had also actually worked there, then Christine's father would also have worked 'with' him. BUT, with Heather being the receptionist, perhaps EIT sub-contracted him, or a cable company he worked for, to do cable installs on some of their large engineering projects?

Google Maps

Map, 30 Alden Ave Etobicike to 627 The West Mall
Vern? What's on the roof top of 627?

Telecommunication rooms in buildings and 'dedicated buildings' wrt
Telecommunications

627 The West Mall #708, Etobicoke

Exterior views from building and photo of locker room door.

Last edited:
Have done a bit more online reading today and have learned a few interesting things:

For those interested, there is a FB page purportedly run by Toronto Police regarding Nicole's disappearance which can be found here :Find Nicole

In reading that page, I learned that police were aware of an apparently did investigate the possible connection between Nicole Morin and Amherst Island, Nova Scotia. I'm noting this info, as although it doesn't come from a regular news outlet, it does appear to come directly from LE, which makes it credible enough for me. You'd have to read each post and the comments to find it, so here is the quote, for ease of reference: "We can only release so much information as this is an active investigation. But I want you to know Investigators have looked into the Amherst connection. Thank you". The post was made by LE about 13 weeks ago from today so August or September 2020. That post was made in response to a woman who noted that Nicole had lived in Amherst Island, and had been friends with her daughter. So at a minimum, I'm now at least reassured that police were aware of and did investigate ties to N.S.

There were some other interesting remarks buried in the comments over there, but since we're not supposed to cite FB as a reliable source, I'd encourage you to head there and read the posts and comments thoroughly. I bet you'll be as bewildered as I am at least one of them.

We've previously discussed how Nicole is listed in her half brother's obit as one of his surviving sisters. The half brother was said to have been taken by his own father and was raised by him elsewhere. He then apparently found his mother sometime before she died. He must have known at least something about her or had to have known her at least a little as RL's daughter share's his mother's name. Nicole's mother, Jeanette died in 2007. I have always wondered why the obit for her does NOT mention Nicole, but DOES mention Nicole's half brother?? Its really odd to me, especially when Nicole IS mentioned in the half brother's obit.

If you're finding that hard to follow, you can find screenshots of the obits in question on the aforementioned FB page above (buried in the comments). I've probably posted them here in the past, but I can't seem to find them to repost them now.

I'd still like to know if police have ever DNA tested any of the items found in any of their searches for Nicole (the headband that Jeanette said wasn't her daughter's? Clothes found with an article from the day after the child vanished?). This might still be a solvable case if police find a link in any DNA!! How can we petition them to get on this if they haven't already?

Have done a bit more online reading today and have learned a few interesting things:

For those interested, there is a FB page purportedly run by Toronto Police regarding Nicole's disappearance which can be found here :Find Nicole

In reading that page, I learned that police were aware of an apparently did investigate the possible connection between Nicole Morin and Amherst Island, Nova Scotia. I'm noting this info, as although it doesn't come from a regular news outlet, it does appear to come directly from LE, which makes it credible enough for me. You'd have to read each post and the comments to find it, so here is the quote, for ease of reference: "We can only release so much information as this is an active investigation. But I want you to know Investigators have looked into the Amherst connection. Thank you". The post was made by LE about 13 weeks ago from today so August or September 2020. That post was made in response to a woman who noted that Nicole had lived in Amherst Island, and had been friends with her daughter. So at a minimum, I'm now at least reassured that police were aware of and did investigate ties to N.S.

There were some other interesting remarks buried in the comments over there, but since we're not supposed to cite FB as a reliable source, I'd encourage you to head there and read the posts and comments thoroughly. I bet you'll be as bewildered as I am at least one of them.

We've previously discussed how Nicole is listed in her half brother's obit as one of his surviving sisters. The half brother was said to have been taken by his own father and was raised by him elsewhere. He then apparently found his mother sometime before she died. He must have known at least something about her or had to have known her at least a little as RL's daughter share's his mother's name. Nicole's mother, Jeanette died in 2007. I have always wondered why the obit for her does NOT mention Nicole, but DOES mention Nicole's half brother?? Its really odd to me, especially when Nicole IS mentioned in the half brother's obit.

If you're finding that hard to follow, you can find screenshots of the obits in question on the aforementioned FB page above (buried in the comments). I've probably posted them here in the past, but I can't seem to find them to repost them now.

I'd still like to know if police have ever DNA tested any of the items found in any of their searches for Nicole (the headband that Jeanette said wasn't her daughter's? Clothes found with an article from the day after the child vanished?). This might still be a solvable case if police find a link in any DNA!! How can we petition them to get on this if they haven't already?

About to dive into the facebook page, but colour me confused. I've a cottage in Amherst Shore, Nova Scotia - but Amherst Island is just outside of Amherstburg in Ontario is it not? Just across the lake from Millhaven penitentiary IIRC from my time living in Kingston.

I'm 99.9999% certain that we don't have an Amherst Island here in Nova Scotia.

Never mind. I see the post now.

Amherst, Nova Scotia it says in the post. My mom (lives in Amherst, NS) and my Aunt is friends with this lady who has posted. Interesting. And I have a tonne of relatives who are friends with her daughter. I may know her from my youth on the beach for crying out loud.

Amherst Island IS in Ontario and is the wrong place.

Last edited:
I’m having a hard time reading between the lines. Is it being suggested that maybe Nicole grew up in N.S. and could possibly be alive? How wonderful would that be?!! 2020 could redeem itself after all!

About to dive into the facebook page, but colour me confused. I've a cottage in Amherst Shore, Nova Scotia - but Amherst Island is just outside of Amherstburg in Ontario is it not? Just across the lake from Millhaven penitentiary IIRC from my time living in Kingston.

I'm 99.9999% certain that we don't have an Amherst Island here in Nova Scotia.

It could totally be that I'm writing it incorrectly as Amherst Island as that is what always comes to mind when I hear Amherst... but the FB was clear its somewhere in NS. Sorry if I've created confusion. I'd edit but I think its past the time permitted for edits. Sorry guys!

I’m having a hard time reading between the lines. Is it being suggested that maybe Nicole grew up in N.S. and could possibly be alive? How wonderful would that be?!! 2020 could redeem itself after all!

I don't know. Its not a reputable media site, so I really can't say. It seems though that some folks from that area are aware of Jeanette and Nicole having lived there at some point for awhile and do not want to discuss the topic for whatever reason

So, uh, how do we know for *sure* that Nicole's friend J.M arrived at the lobby before Nicole did? Is there any chance that Nicole go there first and went missing... from the lobby area? We know J.M (aged 9) watched the elevator go up to the Penthouse floor and come back down, stopping at various floors along the way, but when it opened, it was empty. Is there any chance she may have just missed her friend by like minutes? Maybe whoever snatched Nicole took her AND had the presence of mind to send the elevator back up to the penthouse before grabbing her (eg: press penthouse before exiting the elevator)? I've read somewhere (and I'm looking for a link), that there was some sort of evidence Nicole reached the lobby, but I don't know what the evidence was. So I'm asking. What if we're all wrong and she made it to the meeting spot BEFORE her friend, and was gone before her friend arrived? Thoughts pls?

ETA: if someone DID grab her before J.M arrived, AND had the presence of mind to send the elevator back to penthouse level, then it really speaks to someone who knew Nicole was from that floor, and was to meet someone who'd be watching for her, no?

Last edited:
Police were said to have gone through HER building some 5 times, top to bottom, even looked at blueprints for the building (based on news articles I referenced upthread in around 2/3 years ago). So what if someone took her to the building next door??? Was that building and every unit searched?! Who was there? Who was making deliveries etc there that day or visiting etc?? Did police ever check the other building?? Top to bottom??

Another way a family sometimes tries to misdirect investigators is to do the crime and then wait a day or so, or even months (as in a recent case), and then report the child missing as if he/she just that day disappeared.

Makes me wonder if the crime happened a day or so earlier. That way you have everyone racking their brains about one day which you have an alibi for and when any details remembered by neighbors can't hurt you since no one will be thinking of what went on a day or so earlier when no child was reported missing.

I am not saying that happened in this case because the details are so sketchy it seems hard to know much about this case.
I was just thinking about this type of misdirection.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01
Back