CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldnt find Kae's post to quote about the street views compared to the newspapers photo of the crime scene. I thought that is matched also but there are a few things that I see that are different. I photoshoped the 2 photos and added arrows to show what i believe to be different.

Anyone else see it?

son.jpg

to me her car looks to be in the middle parking space since there is a car to the left and looking where the 1st car is it appears to be at the edge of the building without a space beside it

Starting on the left and the arrow pointing up. - it looks like traffic is moving the same direction and her car, as i can see what looks to be a yellow line down the middle of the road? and looking at the street view it looks to be a parking lot on the left?

The top arrow pointing right - What is that? It looks like a tree branch with a bit of follage under it towards the edge of the photo? In the street view no tree is close ( Yes i know it could be a older street view but looking at it, its all concret anywhere near the building.

the bottom arrow pointing right - also green follage but no way that it could be in the street view as its all concret.

Am i out to lunch ??????

Wow, that is interesting, thanks for posting that Myzzy.

I am not sure on the date of the Google earth view, but the areas you have pointed out, certainly seem to have discrepancies.

Maybe a local can shed some light?

Also, I wonder whose car is next to Sonia's, and when they parked it there, etc.?

Also, with regards to all the discussion on pictures, in the Victoria Stafford case, LE released a picture of the accused's vehicle, accompanied by an article that said it was at the Home Depot. Locals were quick to point out, that the picture was taken at a gas station in a completely different city.

LE has their reasons for allowing the public to think certain things, and as long as it aids in their investigation, it's just fine by me.

LE is not releasing a cause of death, even to the family.

It seems to be more and more common, and obviously must be a tool to aid in the investigation.

Her younger brother, Viv, said his sister's body was released Thursday, but no cause of death has been given by police.

"They haven't said anything to us," he said Saturday night.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/09/26/15480406.html

I couldnt find Kae's post to quote about the street views compared to the newspapers photo of the crime scene. I thought that is matched also but there are a few things that I see that are different. I photoshoped the 2 photos and added arrows to show what i believe to be different.

Anyone else see it?

son.jpg

to me her car looks to be in the middle parking space since there is a car to the left and looking where the 1st car is it appears to be at the edge of the building without a space beside it

Starting on the left and the arrow pointing up. - it looks like traffic is moving the same direction and her car, as i can see what looks to be a yellow line down the middle of the road? and looking at the street view it looks to be a parking lot on the left?

The top arrow pointing right - What is that? It looks like a tree branch with a bit of follage under it towards the edge of the photo? In the street view no tree is close ( Yes i know it could be a older street view but looking at it, its all concret anywhere near the building.

the bottom arrow pointing right - also green follage but no way that it could be in the street view as its all concret.

Am i out to lunch ??????

I think the pictures of the car are subject to the angle and zoom of the camera. Here are a couple more pictures that were released. All three were taken by different people, and all three appear as though the car is in a different place so you can see where the confusion can happen...

spyb90.jpg

300s4cl.jpg

In the second one you can see a marked distance between Sonia's car and the other one parked there. Also the distance between her car and the grassy area.

I was at the site where Sonia's car was found last weekend and to me it is definitely the site in the pictures. The area to the left is another parking lot, the vehicle that you see is not moving on the street, it is parked. In fact, now that I look at both pictures, I think that that is the same vehicle in each picture.

Also if you look at the right of the arrow pointing up, you will see there is a metal pole where the police wrapped the police tape around. If you look at the picture showing the green box at the left parking space, you can see that same pole.

Does anyone else think it's eerie that the car was parked near a Public Health sign when Sonia was a nurse?

I hope that LE has a presser soon to give more information to the public, on the progress of the case.

I think the pictures of the car are subject to the angle and zoom of the camera. Here are a couple more pictures that were released. All three were taken by different people, and all three appear as though the car is in a different place so you can see where the confusion can happen...

spyb90.jpg

300s4cl.jpg

In the second one you can see a marked distance between Sonia's car and the other one parked there. Also the distance between her car and the grassy area.

Thank you, that cleared alot of it up.. looking at your first picture those trees right there on the right might have been what was in the photo i posted even though they are quite a distance away it would seem.. The angle would make since and add some distance and a zoom

and yes now i see there is actually a space between the two cars which would mean she was on the farthest to the right spot.

thank you i had not seen those photos and it clears alot of the differences up

I didnt see in this thread her Obits, just the funeral info. I found one

VaraschinSonia.jpg

VARASCHIN, Sonia Marie Jeanne -

Missing in Orangeville on Monday, August 30, 2010, Sonia Marie Jeanne Varaschin, Orangeville, at the age of 42 years.

Treasured daughter of Attilio and Michele Varaschin, Bolton. Loving sister of Viv and Nadia; sister-in-law of Larry Anderson; and boyfriend Ian Rushton. Predeceased by her older brother Vivien and her grandparents Raoul and Marie Jeanne Cloutier and Augousto and Giulia Varaschin. Fondly remembered by her many aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, patients and coworkers.

Memorial Mass will be held Thursday, October 7th at 11 o'clock at Holy Family Roman Catholic Church, 60 Allan Drive, Bolton. Reception to follow at Caledon Seniors Centre at Rotary Place, 7 Rotarian Way, Bolton.

Sonia was passionate about her work and devoted to the well being of all the children she cared for.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations in memory of Sonia may be made to any of the following organizations: Camp Couchiching, Headwaters Health Care Centre Auxiliary -- Teddy Bears' Picnic, or the Canadian Association for Disabled Skiing -- C.A.D.S. Ontario. Donations may be made through Egan funeral home, Bolton.

http://www.canadianobituaries.com/toronto.html

Did I miss something...why do you feel she had a connection to horseback riding?

We don't know if Sonia had any connection to horses and horseback riding. Some of us are wondering if the location of the car had anything to do with riding boots, as riding boots are sold at the store where the car was abandoned. Boots have figured prominently in the information released by LE, as they have stated they are looking for someone who wore a certain brand of boots, and may recently have discarded the old ones and obtained new ones. Naturally enough, riding boots are a question mark. That makes horses and horseback riding a question mark, too. Sonia worked with children. Did she also volunteer with a disabled riding association, or did she have any interest in horses? Or are horses connected with the perp? Did the perp take boots from the store? If so, was it merely a matter of convenience, or because those boots would be a natural look for the perp?

Does anyone else think it's eerie that the car was parked near a Public Health sign when Sonia was a nurse?

It is an odd coincidence. I suppose it would have more significance if Sonia knew anyone who worked there or had done any volunteer work there herself.

MOO

I found the link to this site on Facebook and have been following along for a week or so now. I just wanted to add my two cents worth about the desire that people have for a quick arrest. My late father was a Police Officer (both Toronto and the OPP) and one thing he aways said is that police work is not like a TV show - it takes time and lots of it. In a case such as this, slow and steady will win the race. While an arrest may ease the minds of Orangeville (and Caledon, where I live) residents, realistically that is only part of it. An arrest MUST lead to a conviction, if justice is to be truly served. A 'good' arrest will only come from a thorough investigation.

It is an odd coincidence. I suppose it would have more significance if Sonia knew anyone who worked there or had done any volunteer work there herself.

MOO

Angry former patient making a public statement,or drugcrazed addict looking for drugs??

Angry former patient making a public statement,or drugcrazed addict looking for drugs??

You just never know what kinds of people that professionals who work in the medical field may come in contact with. I suppose the fact that she recently went to work for a pharmaceutical company could be an interesting angle too. :waitasec:

MOO

I found the link to this site on Facebook and have been following along for a week or so now. I just wanted to add my two cents worth about the desire that people have for a quick arrest. My late father was a Police Officer (both Toronto and the OPP) and one thing he aways said is that police work is not like a TV show - it takes time and lots of it. In a case such as this, slow and steady will win the race. While an arrest may ease the minds of Orangeville (and Caledon, where I live) residents, realistically that is only part of it. An arrest MUST lead to a conviction, if justice is to be truly served. A 'good' arrest will only come from a thorough investigation.

Welcome Orange_snapdragon. Thanks for your post. I couldn't agree with you more about making sure that arrest sticks. I just think that the local public is wanting some reassurance that LE has a handle on this and that there isn't an unknown crazed killer among them who can strike again anytime at random. Any ideas how they could do that without giving away any of their investigation?

I know the area where her car was found and I don't believe the location had anything to do with the store. It was most likely just a near-by, convenient, relatively secluded area where her body could be taken from her car into another vehicle for transportation to where her body was found. The blue car in the pictures belongs to one of the women who called the police. She would have had to walk past Sonia's car to go into the store explaining why the other employee may not have noticed the blood especially since the alert for the car had not been issued earlier in the morning.

Let's not forget that the purpose of this web site is to find Sonia's killer, not focus on a lawsuit! Perhaps the women are exploiting the publicity of the murder investigation to get revenge on their ex-employer. A wrongfull dismissal case would not get such attention otherwise. They sound like opportunistic, attention seeking, bitter ex-employees. Or perhaps they thought their employeer would pay up to shut them up. As has already be noted, the company name had not been mentioned so why would they be fired for helping the police? I find it inexcusable for the sister to be posting info on this and the facebook website when they were told not to talk about it! They need to keep their mouths SHUT to avoid jeapardizing arresting and convicting the killer!!!!

I know the area where her car was found and I don't believe the location had anything to do with the store. It was most likely just a near-by, convenient, relatively secluded area where her body could be taken from her car into another vehicle for transportation to where her body was found. The blue car in the pictures belongs to one of the women who called the police. She would have had to walk past Sonia's car to go into the store explaining why the other employee may not have noticed the blood especially since the alert for the car had not been issued earlier in the morning.

Let's not forget that the purpose of this web site is to find Sonia's killer, not focus on a lawsuit! Perhaps the women are exploiting the publicity of the murder investigation to get revenge on their ex-employer. A wrongfull dismissal case would not get such attention otherwise. They sound like opportunistic, attention seeking, bitter ex-employees. Or perhaps they thought their employeer would pay up to shut them up. As has already be noted, the company name had not been mentioned so why would they be fired for helping the police? I find it inexcusable for the sister to be posting info on this and the facebook website when they were told not to talk about it! They need to keep their mouths SHUT to avoid jeapardizing arresting and convicting the killer!!!!

I agree that the sister is jeapordizing this case by spilling info on the web for the killer and the public to read. You mention that the 2 ex employees are attention seeking...I cannot comment on this as we have only heard one side of the story. Who knows what really happend, the real concern here is not the ex employees, but the killer who is still on the loose.

I absolutely agree with your opening statement: I think that the spot where the car was found is not related to the business at all. I just wanted to say that I think most of us on here are interested in justice for Sonia and to assist, if possible, in finding out who did this to her. The story of the two women at Greenhawk is recent and it's relevance to the case is likely none or minimal. It just helped to solidify the location of the car, it was a few good sleuthy posters who discovered the location using tools like streetview. Once the photos of the car were published in the main stream media, it was fairly easy to discover where the car was parked at the time the photos were taken.

Other points we aren't sure about yet are whether the doors were open and trunk open. My thoughts are if the employees parked near the vehicle, they would have noticed that and saw the blood. It could be that the doors were not open at all and the employee(s) noticed the blood either right away or when they went back to look at the car again.

Early in the case, the scene was described as "gruesome" :

"An unidentified local man told the Orangeville Banner the scene around the Toyota was "gruesome." He told the Banner he saw blood on the rear bumper of the car, left with its front doors and trunk wide open."

In this article, did this man see the car that morning or when the police got there and then opened the doors and trunk? Was he one of the first people on the scene?

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/Woman+missing+house+found+bloodstained/3465304/story.html

Yes agreed. I think we get too hung up on the CSI form of investigation. Horatio Caine isn't realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monifah2